PDA

View Full Version : Teixeira close to being a Brave

Rockabilly
07-25-2007, 03:38 PM
Reports from Atl that the Braves are close to getting Teixeira for Salty and a pitching prospect...

maybe thats why the Angels are looking at Konerko

balke
07-25-2007, 03:43 PM
I think Salty is such a bad pickup. EVERYONE looks great when they are a brave. They are a great organization with talent. I think he's a major leaguer, but I don't think he's a superstar catcher or anything. He might not even be a starting catcher.

Rockabilly
07-25-2007, 03:46 PM
If the Braves get Teixeira I think that will make them NL favorites to make it to the world series..

kjhanson
07-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Their best pitching prospect is Matt Harrison, who doesn't impress me all that much.
Stats (http://firstinning.com/players/Matt-Harrison-a)

If this happens the pitching prospect will probably be a wash and it will essentially be a 1 for 1 deal. If Atlanta had more minor league pitching depth, and were willing to part with it, I would dangle Konerko. But that's not the case.

GAsoxfan
07-25-2007, 03:50 PM
If the Braves get Teixeira I think that will make them NL favorites to make it to the world series..

Not unless he can pitch too. The Braves score plenty of runs, they need pitching help.

Palehose Pete
07-25-2007, 03:54 PM
What's the source for this news?

Thanks.

Domeshot17
07-25-2007, 04:01 PM
The most reliable news there is, it is being reported by Bruce Levine AND can be found at the link here.

www.mlbtraderumors.com/wemakeallourstuffup.html (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/wemakeallourstuffup.html)

and on the back end of Bruces reports, the Griffey deal from 2005 is about to be finalized.

salty99
07-25-2007, 04:19 PM
I think Salty is such a bad pickup. EVERYONE looks great when they are a brave. They are a great organization with talent. I think he's a major leaguer, but I don't think he's a superstar catcher or anything. He might not even be a starting catcher.

I am a great pickup and a superstar!

balke
07-25-2007, 04:22 PM
I am a great pickup and a superstar!

I've tried several times spelling the full name right, I just don't have the patience.

seventyseven
07-25-2007, 04:39 PM
I've tried several times spelling the full name right, I just don't have the patience.

i believe its spelled saltalamanoflamancha. :D:

soxinem1
07-25-2007, 04:44 PM

How's that? He sure hasn't done anything to help TEX get there, and I'm not so sure he would make that much of a difference (unless he pitches too) to elevate them to that elite prediction.

But if they get him, and they make it to the World Series, I'll be the first to credit you.

upperdeckusc
07-25-2007, 05:12 PM
Their best pitching prospect is Matt Harrison, who doesn't impress me all that much.
Stats (http://firstinning.com/players/Matt-Harrison-a)

If this happens the pitching prospect will probably be a wash and it will essentially be a 1 for 1 deal. If Atlanta had more minor league pitching depth, and were willing to part with it, I would dangle Konerko. But that's not the case.

so ask for salty and yunel escobar. with konerkos production and contract status, i dont think it's too crazy of an idea. its not like their giving up these 2 guys for a rental

Rockabilly
07-25-2007, 05:14 PM
How's that? He sure hasn't done anything to help TEX get there, and I'm not so sure he would make that much of a difference (unless he pitches too) to elevate them to that elite prediction.

But if they get him, and they make it to the World Series, I'll be the first to credit you.

I just think the whole NL sucks and I see Atl taking the NL pennant with or without Teixeira. Who knows Atl might trade for Garland as well

balke
07-25-2007, 06:10 PM
This all begs the question, why do the Braves need Teixera when they already have Willie Harris?

the1tab
07-25-2007, 09:34 PM
This all begs the question, why do the Braves need Teixera when they already have Willie Harris?

If the Braves make a deal for Teixeira, presumably for Saltysalchicha and whomever, they're still rumored to be looking to bolster their rotation. Is there any chance on God's great Earth that the Sox could put a package together w/ former Bravo Jermaine "Don't Call me Tito" Dye and perhaps Garland in exchange for free-agent-to-be-having-a-bad-season Andruw Jones?? Willie could handle center for them and Dye could take a corner spot... Dye has an expiring contract that might be attractive to Atlanta, and Garland would help their rotation out. However, this also begs the question: Will Kenny spend next year on legit players? If we could acquire AND SIGN Andruw to a contract, I would be interested again.

Thoughts?

GAsoxfan
07-25-2007, 09:43 PM
If the Braves make a deal for Teixeira, presumably for Saltysalchicha and whomever, they're still rumored to be looking to bolster their rotation. Is there any chance on God's great Earth that the Sox could put a package together w/ former Bravo Jermaine "Don't Call me Tito" Dye and perhaps Garland in exchange for free-agent-to-be-having-a-bad-season Andruw Jones?? Willie could handle center for them and Dye could take a corner spot... Dye has an expiring contract that might be attractive to Atlanta, and Garland would help their rotation out. However, this also begs the question: Will Kenny spend next year on legit players? If we could acquire AND SIGN Andruw to a contract, I would be interested again.

Thoughts?

Umm...Bad idea.

Hendu
07-25-2007, 09:59 PM

Thoughts?

NO. Why not just wait till the offseason and sign Andruw without giving up 2 of our best trading chips?

Huisj
07-25-2007, 10:02 PM
NO. Why not just wait till the offseason and sign Andruw without giving up 2 of our best trading chips?

Plus, I'm not sure Jones would want to sign an extension right now. With the season long slump he's been in this year, his values is not high right now, and he might want to try to play the rest of the year out and hope he gets hot and raises his hitting back to respectable so that teams are less afraid of him.

HotelWhiteSox
07-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Watched a few Braves games this year, A Jones does not look the same, especially on Defense, looks like he lost a step to me. EDIT: Just looked up his stats, OUCH .214 ?!?!? He'd fit right in here! Sit him next to Jose.

soxinem1
07-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Watched a few Braves games this year, A Jones does not look the same, especially on Defense, looks like he lost a step to me. EDIT: Just looked up his stats, OUCH .214 ?!?!? He'd fit right in here! Sit him next to Jose.

Renteria for Garland, one for one, yes. We should sweeten the pot and throw in Contreras and half his salary for next year.

y2j2785
07-25-2007, 10:51 PM

He's actually been quite good this month. I believe he's got like 7 or 8 homers this month.

Rockabilly
07-30-2007, 10:17 AM
The Braves are on the verge of acquiring Rangers first baseman Mark Teixeira.

The deal is done, pending a review of the medical records of the players involved, according to major-league sources.

The Braves will receive Teixeira and left-handed reliever Ron Mahay. The Rangers will receive catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Class A shortstop Elvis Andrus and two pitching prospects.

Ken Rosental reports this

Zisk77
07-30-2007, 10:56 AM
I don't think Andruw Jones would endear himself with the Sox faithful. He strikes out too much, doesn't run anymore, and while a great of he plays CF so lackadaisacal. I rather have Torii Hunter (yes I know he too strikes out some) he is a better contact hitter still hits Hr and STEALS bases (prolly more for us because the turf want be killing his feet).

Tragg
07-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Renteria for Garland, one for one, yes.
You can get a SS that can field real cheap. Renteria's offense is not quite as good as Iguchi's - i.e. nothing special. He wouldnt' help this team much at all, but would create a hole in the rotation. To use $10 mill (the money we have for free agents) PLUS our best trading chit for Renteria, would be a joke.

Spend the $10 Million and Jon Garland (if we trade him) on some real offensive talent that we desparately need.

nevr say dye sox
07-30-2007, 11:55 AM
if I were the sox I would trade Garland and Contreas to the Dodgers for Andre Either and Adam LaRoche or Ching Lung Hu, which ever prospect they will give up!