PDA

View Full Version : Roger Bossard - The Movie!

Ron Mexico
07-25-2007, 02:17 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl.jsp?vid=7767&_mp=1&w=2007/open/teams07/cha/video/cha_groundskeeping_bossard_400.wmv

I love the Sodfather.

SBSoxFan
07-25-2007, 02:29 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl.jsp?vid=7767&_mp=1&w=2007/open/teams07/cha/video/cha_groundskeeping_bossard_400.wmv

I love the Sodfather.

Cool!

jsg-07
07-25-2007, 02:33 PM

I love the Sodfather.

Thanks!! That actually was really interesting. Especially how they will wet the dirt in front of home plate when Burls is pitching to slow the ball down!!

PopsBrechtel
07-25-2007, 02:46 PM
Wow! that was GREAT! Thanks!

Mr.1Dog
07-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Really awesome!! I wasn't aware of all those "tricks" his father has passed down.

soxinem1
07-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Really awesome!! I wasn't aware of all those "tricks" his father has passed down.

There are tons of those tricks. I remember the old fire hoses used as baselines in Comiskey Park being tilted to help bunted balls stay fair, and wetting down both the home plate area and 1B when the A's would come in, just to keep Rickey Henderson from getting good jumps.

INSox56
07-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks for posting, that was completely awesome and especially informative. Good to see MLB doing spots like that. I especially didn't know how loaded Roger is. hahaha KEEP MAKING PURDUE PROUD ROG!

thomas35forever
07-25-2007, 04:12 PM
Wow, what a guy. I hope the field at Comiskey is in the hands of the Bossard family for many years to come!

chisox77
07-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Kind of makes you proud of the organization in some ways, doesn't it?

:cool:

grv1974
07-25-2007, 05:45 PM
Yeah, the difference between our perfect field and some of the others around the league is noticeable.

Lip Man 1
07-25-2007, 06:18 PM
"Home Field Advantage" goes back a lot farther then the 1980's (i.e. Henderson reference..) from the J.C. Martin interview:

ML: The Sox won 95 games in 1965 but all everyone seems to remember was the "frozen ball" controversy. As an honest Southern gentleman, Iíve got to ask you, did the Sox freeze the balls?

JCM: (laughing) "I have no information that actually happened. But I will tell you this, the balls that year were the heaviest and had the highest seams Iíve ever seen. When a ball is moist the seams pop up and that went on all year. Iíll tell you a story, we were playing the Twins and Harmon Killebrew hit a shot to right center and he stood there and watched it. Well the ball hit the wall and Harmon had to suddenly start running. So the next time he comes up, he tells me, ĎJ.C. thereís something going on with those balls.í He knew when he hit a ball good and when it should have been a home run!

Remember that we had other advantages at Comiskey Park. Gene Bossard our head groundskeeper, drilled two holes in the dirt in front of home plate. Heíd stick a hose in those and floor the whole area, turning it into mud. You couldnít have driven a ball past our infield with a cannon. The ball would hit that mud on its way out to the infield and just die.

Hereís another story, I swear itís true. Right before a game one time against Minnesota, I saw the whole Twins team come out of the dugout and start stomping the ground in front of home plate. Everybody! They were trying to pack that loose dirt back down."

Lip