PDA

View Full Version : So, Who's Going Away?

spiffie
07-25-2007, 11:15 AM
We're less than a week from the deadline, all sorts of noise and talk about who the Sox might deal away, but nothing has happened so far. Personally, I kind of suspect that nothing is going to happen, and no one will be dealt. I think Kenny has a high price, and people are loathe to match it, and that KW isn't concerned because he'll take picks for the FA's who leave, and guys like Garland or Contreras he can offer up in the offseason or next year's deadline. So who do you think will be going away, if anyone?

Flight #24
07-25-2007, 11:20 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion that no one will get dealt. If Jose doesn't show significant iimprovement the next start or 2, no one will want him. And it appears that Kenny wants a lot for Dye (and would rather take the comp picks than b-list prospects), and that no one's interested in paying a ton for a rental having a poor season, even if he has improved a bit lately. As for Iguchi, I think having guys like Loretta on the market makes it hard to get much for him and rather than getting spare change for him, Kenny will keep him and possibly try to resign him cheap.

It's just a feeling I get, not based on anything solid.

upperdeckusc
07-25-2007, 11:21 AM
We're less than a week from the deadline, all sorts of noise and talk about who the Sox might deal away, but nothing has happened so far. Personally, I kind of suspect that nothing is going to happen, and no one will be dealt. I think Kenny has a high price, and people are loathe to match it, and that KW isn't concerned because he'll take picks for the FA's who leave, and guys like Garland or Contreras he can offer up in the offseason or next year's deadline. So who do you think will be going away, if anyone?

i think he might have these high price tags to see if anyone jumps on them, then he can say he literally robbed the other team. i say within a day or 2 of the deadline, if he REALLY wants to move someone and if theres REALLY someone out there he wants to see on the sox, his asking price will come down slightly to make it happen. not to say he will give in and give away someone for nothing. but he is asking for some ridiculous offers in return from what im hearing. if the day before the deadline, he drops his ridiculous offer to a pretty damn good one, it might look like a huge discount to the other team. please, please trade contreras. dye, i'll take him for a 2 yr deal at cheap money or draft picks if he walks. I wish we could send him to the dodgers and get broxton back (we'd probably have to throw someone else in), but it prob wont happen. if we trade garland or konerko, then yes, a robbing will be in order.

upperdeckusc
07-25-2007, 11:26 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion that no one will get dealt. If Jose doesn't show significant iimprovement the next start or 2, no one will want him. And it appears that Kenny wants a lot for Dye (and would rather take the comp picks than b-list prospects), and that no one's interested in paying a ton for a rental having a poor season, even if he has improved a bit lately. As for Iguchi, I think having guys like Loretta on the market makes it hard to get much for him and rather than getting spare change for him, Kenny will keep him and possibly try to resign him cheap.

It's just a feeling I get, not based on anything solid.

with contreras, I'd just want one decent player in return. its addition by subtraction if we can take his money off the books. send him to the phillies for that bourn kid. speedy outfielder. or for a decent bullpen guy. just get his money off the books so haeger/gio can be our 5th starter next yr and we can use that 10 mil for SS, bullpen, and OF.

soxtalker
07-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Of the pitchers, I think that Garland is the most likely one to be traded. The price will be high, but he's been pitching pretty well -- all translating into high value and low risk to the other team. I can't see Contreras being dealt. He hasn't been pitching well, so his value will be low and risk high to the acquiring team.

For the others, I think that a lot depends on whether KW intends to offer arbitration at the end of the season. IIRC, we lose the draft picks if we don't.

TDog
07-25-2007, 11:45 AM
People around here seem to think other teams will give up a lot for players that White Sox fans don't want to see in their future plans. People insist that it would have been easy to get more in trade for Freddy Garcia.

I don't believe the White Sox will make any big trades at the deadline. And when they don't, people will complain that Kenny Williams is incompetent because they know they could made a killing at the trade deadline.

Flight #24
07-25-2007, 01:51 PM
with contreras, I'd just want one decent player in return. its addition by subtraction if we can take his money off the books. send him to the phillies for that bourn kid. speedy outfielder. or for a decent bullpen guy. just get his money off the books so haeger/gio can be our 5th starter next yr and we can use that 10 mil for SS, bullpen, and OF.

My point is that I don't think a Bourne deal will be out there. Given a 5+ERA and 2 years guaranteed at $10M/yr, if the other team thinks Jose might decline further with age, he would be viewed fairly negatively.

I'd agree that I'd give him away for the $$$ savings, but even that might not be that easy if he continues to struggle.

russ99
07-25-2007, 02:03 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion that no one will get dealt.

I don't know. A week ago I thought Dye wouldn't get dealt. Sure he's hit better after the break, but he's not been a world-beater. Now there's legitimate "drive-up-the-price" interest in him.

Despite the press to the contrary saying this will be a slow deadline, I think the last two days all the roster tweakers and "deal junkies" among the GMs won't be able to contain themselves and this deadline will be at least as active as last year.

I can see Dye and Uribe being dealt for sure. Not sure about Iguchi or Contreras. Gooch might still re-sign and Kenny would be smart to hold onto Contreras until his value is higher in the offseason, but I still see teams making offers for him, and if they're good enough he might go.

MacDougal might be dealt if he's healthy before the deadline.

Garland, Vazquez and Konerko won't be dealt unless there's a blockbuster offer.

What do you guys think about Tejada trying to look healthy before the deadline in the hopes of leaving Baltimore? I'd think the Sox would have some interest...

letsgosox1592
07-26-2007, 08:49 AM
My point is that I don't think a Bourne deal will be out there. Given a 5+ERA and 2 years guaranteed at $10M/yr, if the other team thinks Jose might decline further with age, he would be viewed fairly negatively.

I'd agree that I'd give him away for the $$$ savings, but even that might not be that easy if he continues to struggle.

Does anyone know what his buyout is from his contract?

Tragg
07-26-2007, 09:02 AM
The Sox will have to pony-up serious cash to deal Contreras...he's illustrative of the problem with long-term deals for pitchers. A dead hitter just makes outs - a pitcher gives the other team runs. I hope we do pony up cash to deal him and just clear him out.
This team desparately needs a legitimate CF and will need a SS. Some additional talented youth (not more utility-players) would help as well. So I would hope that we can get something for some of these stale veterans whose contracts are up.

spiffie
07-26-2007, 09:23 AM
The Sox will have to pony-up serious cash to deal Contreras...he's illustrative of the problem with long-term deals for pitchers. A dead hitter just makes outs - a pitcher gives the other team runs. I hope we do pony up cash to deal him and just clear him out.
This team desparately needs a legitimate CF and will need a SS. Some additional talented youth (not more utility-players) would help as well. So I would hope that we can get something for some of these stale veterans whose contracts are up.
I would say this is more indicative of the problem with long-term deals for pitchers who are anywhere from their mid 30's-early 40's depending on who you believe on a given day.

The Immigrant
07-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Does anyone know what his buyout is from his contract?

100% of the remaining amount owed to him (around $20 million), unless he agrees to a lesser sum. There is no actual buyout.

PopsBrechtel
07-26-2007, 10:15 AM
After giving up the lead 3 times last night, CONTERAS!

Grzegorz
07-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Just on a hunch I went with Garland, Dye, and Thornton.

chisoxmike
07-26-2007, 04:30 PM
I think Dye is the only one who will be traded, and, it will be on Tuesday.

I also would like to see the Sox maybe try and pry Ty Wiggington from the Devil Rays. That could cost young pitching though. :dunno:

oeo
07-28-2007, 02:29 PM
I also would like to see the Sox maybe try and pry Ty Wiggington from the Devil Rays. That could cost young pitching though. :dunno:

Why would we want him? :?:

I don't think he would cost young pitching, because he, quite frankly, isn't that good.