PDA

View Full Version : Konerko to the Angels?

Rockabilly
07-25-2007, 06:27 AM
The LA times is reporting that the Angels are interested in Konerko

I would love to see the Sox get Howie Kendrick, E Santana and Brandon Wood for PK and a lower prospect

Sargeant79
07-25-2007, 07:58 AM
They've been interested in him for a few years...remember: he almost signed with them after 2005. I don't see it happening though. I think he is one of the least likely players to be traded on our roster.

Over By There
07-25-2007, 08:37 AM
On Mike & Mike this morning I heard Jayson Stark address this. He doesn't think it will happen because he's heard Konerko is untouchable from the Sox's perspective, even though Konerko might consider it (waiving his limited no-trade for the Halos). He brought up that Konerko (along with MB) is a leader in the clubhouse, etc. I tend to agree with all of that.

He also mentioned that the Angels are asking about Paulie because their talks with Texas have stalled. Apparently the Rangers want 3 players in return for Teixeira, and one needs to be a "certifiable future star" (paraphrasing). I guess I don't see us offloading PK at a bargain basement price, either.

lostfan
07-25-2007, 08:41 AM
On Mike & Mike this morning I heard Jayson Stark address this. He doesn't think it will happen because he's heard Konerko is untouchable from the Sox's perspective, even though Konerko might consider it (waiving his limited no-trade for the Halos). He brought up that Konerko (along with MB) is a leader in the clubhouse, etc. I tend to agree with all of that.

He also mentioned that the Angels are asking about Paulie because their talks with Texas have stalled. Apparently the Rangers want 3 players in return for Teixeira, and one needs to be a "certifiable future star" (paraphrasing). I guess I don't see us offloading PK at a bargain basement price, either.
I don't see how they think they'd be giving less to the Sox for Konerko. You want good players, you give up good players and/or prospects.

balke
07-25-2007, 08:55 AM
I believe Anahiem is interested, and Paulie would like to be in Cali. But, I don't think it'll happen. I'm pretty sure Paulie built a home in Chicago, and was really set on staying in Chicago for a long time. Obviously he could sell it or build a new one, but I don't know.

If this deal went through, it would probably be pretty easy to land a 1Bman for the Sox. They already have a rumor for Connor Jackson, and there was always talk here of Dye playing 1B. Could Fields play 1B if the Sox got Chone Figgins in a deal?

I hate trade deadline time, so much stuff gets made up. Its not even really worth the effort to think about.

jabrch
07-25-2007, 08:58 AM
If LAA wants him, KW better hold them up - big time. I'd ask for Wood, Mathis/Conger and Adenhardt or something silly like that. They can have JD too if they want him in a deal like that. There's no way I'd give up PK (or JD for that matter) cheaply at the trade deadline.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-25-2007, 09:14 AM
I hate trade deadline time, so much stuff gets made up. Its not even really worth the effort to think about.

We end up getting our hopes up based on hypotheticals then get them crushed when said hypothetical either happens, or doesn't. It's hard to ignore the rumor mill, but it sucks to pay attention to it too.

CHIsoxNation
07-25-2007, 09:15 AM
Here's the article...

The Angels, who have had trade talks with Texas regarding first baseman Mark Teixeira, have also resumed their pursuit of Chicago White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko, who turned down a five-year, $62-million free-agent offer from the Angels after 2005 to remain in Chicago.

According to several industry sources, the Angels, looking to add a power bat to their sagging offense, have inquired about Konerko, who is batting .261 with 22 home runs and 61 runs batted in.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/angels/la-sp-angrep25jul25,1,5215586.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-mlb-angels

kittle42
07-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Konerko and Buehrle are the only two untouchables on this roster.

oeo
07-25-2007, 09:31 AM
I believe Anahiem is interested, and Paulie would like to be in Cali. But, I don't think it'll happen. I'm pretty sure Paulie built a home in Chicago, and was really set on staying in Chicago for a long time. Obviously he could sell it or build a new one, but I don't know.

If he wanted to go to California, he would have done it.

If this deal went through, it would probably be pretty easy to land a 1Bman for the Sox. They already have a rumor for Connor Jackson, and there was always talk here of Dye playing 1B. Could Fields play 1B if the Sox got Chone Figgins in a deal?

Yeah, and we lose our captain. I don't think the offense suddenly turning around when Paulie did was a coincidence.

The trade deadline is fun, I think. I love it.

AnkleSox
07-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Konerko is what Frank was to this team in the 90s, except he actually gets along with management. I highly doubt they get rid of him.

Palehose Pete
07-25-2007, 09:34 AM
So, the Angels are interested in PK?

Hmmm... and I'm interested in finding $1 million in my attic.

KW better don a mask and carry a gun when goes to talk with any teams about trading anyone like PK.

Tragg
07-25-2007, 09:39 AM
This might work with rebuilding teams who are looking to cut payroll as part of rebuilding...this is how the Cubs get Ramirez from a chronic rebuilder like the Pirates so cheaply.
The Rangers aren't hurting for money and neither are we; in fact, no MLB team is.
If you want top players, pay a top price (and it better be high if we have to suffer with Ross Ragowsky at 1B).

Sox It To Em
07-25-2007, 09:44 AM
I'd accept a trade involving PK but only if we received some top talent in return. Isn't the Angels' farm system absolutely loaded?

Chicken Dinner
07-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Dye is available. :o:

DickAllen72
07-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Trade 'em Dye or Thome (if they can pay him to waive his NTC).

I'd have no problems with trading Konerko, but I doubt the Angels would be willing to give up what the Sox would/should want to get for him.

upperdeckusc
07-25-2007, 11:10 AM

fields at 1b........hmmm, interesting. never thought about that (probably cuz i never thought konerko would be traded). i think i'd rather see that then fields in the OF. but it'd obviously depend on what we'd get for konerko. aybar has alotta speed and plays SS. that's 2 things we need desparately, and the angels are stacked at SS. oh well, it probably wouldnt happen, but if theres any trades out there where we can get 2-3 great pieces to our puzzle (trading garland or konerko and maybe 1-2 good pieces for thome) i wouldnt oppose to it.

HotelWhiteSox
07-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Just heard this update on ESPNEWS, they said Konerko is the biggest name on the trade market (didn't even think he was being talked about :?:), that the Angels were among 3 teams interested, and that he has a no-trade, but he would most likely waive it for the Angels

upperdeckusc
07-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Just heard this update on ESPNEWS, they said Konerko is the biggest name on the trade market (didn't even think he was being talked about :?:), that the Angels were among 3 teams interested, and that he has a no-trade, but he would most likely waive it for the Angels

i can see how he can look appealing to other teams (especially with his consistent production and his health history compared to texiera and his recent injuries). i just wonder how attainable he is and do they actually know they will have to give up 3 very good players for konerko (power hitter, hits for avg, good glove, under contract at a good price for yrs to come). if we can get that for konerko, i wouldnt mind pulling the trigger if we can use one piece to fill 3.

hawkeyesrule
07-25-2007, 12:50 PM
I would be really disappointed by this. No reason to trade a team leader. It doesn't look like this is based on anything other than specualtion.

From ESPN:
Halo power?
Jul 25 - The Angels are pursuing White Sox first baseman Paul Konerko, the Los Angeles Times reports. According to several industry sources, the Angels, looking to add a power bat to their sagging offense, have inquired about Konerko, who turned down a five-year, $62 million, free-agent offer from the Angels after 2005 to remain in Chicago.
Konerko has a limited no-trade clause and is signed through 2010, but he has a good relationship with Angels manager Mike Scioscia and would probably waive the clause to come to Anaheim. Although the White Sox are in a selling mode, they haven't decided whether to trade Konerko or right fielder Jermaine Dye, a potential free agent at the end of this year. The Sox have made it clear they don't plan to tear down the team and don't want to completely strip their lineup.

Chicken Dinner
07-25-2007, 12:51 PM
I believe ESPNews as much as I believe the Cubune. :rolleyes:

And the story came from the LA Times which is owned by the Cubune.

itsnotrequired
07-25-2007, 12:51 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90763

AJ Hellraiser
07-25-2007, 12:56 PM
If this trade actually happens then it signals we are in for a LONG rebuilding process... as we have discussed numerous times on this board, Konerko along with MB are probably the only 2 untouchable pieces on this roster

If he is dealt it means KW can't see a short-term quick fix solution and basically needs to gut the current roster.... it also means he doesn't like the offers he is getting for other guys on the roster which thus leaves him in a terrible position

Rockabilly
07-25-2007, 01:29 PM
Would you make this trade

Konerko, Garland and Mid level prospect to the Angels for E Santana, B Wood, C Kotchman, H Kendrick and R Willits

We will have our future 1b, 2b and SS as well as a starting pitcher and CF

Plus we will save 60 M and can use that for top free agents this off season like Hunter, Rowand and a few others

letsgosox1592
07-25-2007, 01:31 PM
If the Sox trade Konerko its a sign they are going to completely take this team apart, and start over. So if the Sox do trade Konerko, I want the Sox to get Brandon Wood, Erik Aybar, and another prospect.

balke
07-25-2007, 01:37 PM
I'd want Chone Figgins in the deal. He can play OF in the future and sub in the infield. He could be our 2Bman if Iguchi goes. He could be our 3Bman if Fields could take over 1B until Crede gets healthy. That would give 2 SB threats at the top of the order who can hit going into next season if they kept Pods, followed by Thome and Dye. That would make for a great 1st inning, and be more along the lines of what the Sox have preached since Ozzie got there.

Imagine if they could snag a good reliever like Shields and Figgins for Konerko/Pods or Konerko/prospect. I have no idea what the Sox would get in return, so I'm just throwing that out there. I'd like to see the Sox a great utility guy w/ speed, so they can buy themselves time to make a decision on Crede. That way there can be a platoon there and LF possibly with Fields/Figgins (or "X" good utility guy)/Ozuna. Seeing how Fields has a good bat so far, and the Sox were testing him in LF in the minors (at least I thought I read that they were).

balke
07-25-2007, 01:40 PM
Would you make this trade

Konerko, Garland and Mid level prospect to the Angels for E Santana, B Wood, C Kotchman, H Kendrick and R Willits

We will have our future 1b, 2b and SS as well as a starting pitcher and CF

Plus we will save 60 M and can use that for top free agents this off season like Hunter, Rowand and a few others

No. That's a locked down cheap superstar, a young pitcher who has a full year left on contract for a bunch of potential, and the wrong Santana.

jabrch
07-25-2007, 01:45 PM
If the Sox trade Konerko its a sign they are going to completely take this team apart, and start over. So if the Sox do trade Konerko, I want the Sox to get Brandon Wood, Erik Aybar, and another prospect.

They aren't giving up Wood AND Aybar.

One of them...then a C (Mathis or Conger) and a P (Adenhardt)

jabrch
07-25-2007, 01:45 PM
When are we going to hear from the Konerko fans threatening to cancel their season tickets?

letsgosox1592
07-25-2007, 01:47 PM
They aren't giving up Wood AND Aybar.

One of them...then a C (Mathis or Conger) and a P (Adenhardt)

I know it won't happen, but if would be nice to get the both. If i had to choose out of them I would take Wood over Aybar though.

russ99
07-25-2007, 01:48 PM
No. That's a locked down cheap superstar, a young pitcher who has a full year left on contract for a bunch of potential, and the wrong Santana.

I agree. The Sox have no reason to deal Konerko.

If the Angels came in with a blockbuster offer to fill many weak spots with major leaguers, (Something like pick 3 of: Cabrera, Willts, Figgins, Shields and add a few prospects) I'm sure Kenny would consider it, but I seriously doubt that Paulie's going anywhere, especially with the names coming to the Sox being bandied about in those rumors.

jabrch
07-25-2007, 01:50 PM
I know it won't happen, but if would be nice to get the both. If i had to choose out of them I would take Wood over Aybar though.

I'd rather have Mathis or Adenhardt than Aybar regardless of Wood. If you assume Wood would be the prime piece, then I'd have less interest in Aybar and more interest in Mathis/Conger/Adenhardt.

esbrechtel
07-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Trading Konerko would be extremely foolish, you dont trade your clubhouse leader in the middle of the season...also the article reads like they are just name dropping 1B from crappy teams that can hit....

Tragg
07-25-2007, 02:07 PM
I agree with Williams that you just aren't going to win if you have more than 3 or maybe 4 inexperienced players in your lineup. Look at the Indians - they've been talked about, hyped, for 3 years....a team of young superstars to be - and they still haven't even made the playoffs.
Now I'm all for young players and considering the low success rate, you need a bunch of them to get a few keepers. But we need vets.

GregO23
07-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Sometimes i cannot understand people on this board. How could you want to trade the captain? I dont care who we get, in the longrun we will probably get ripped off. Konerko is a huge reason why the team is all hitting right now. He was the first to get on a hot streak, and Mackowiak, Thome, Owens, and somewhat Dye followed. We cannot go into next season and further seasons without this guy!

INSox56
07-25-2007, 02:25 PM
Sometimes i cannot understand people on this board. How could you want to trade the captain? I dont care who we get, in the longrun we will probably get ripped off. Konerko is a huge reason why the team is all hitting right now. He was the first to get on a hot streak, and Mackowiak, Thome, Owens, and somewhat Dye followed. We cannot go into next season and further seasons without this guy!We cannot do it with Uribe, Pods, Erstad, and our bullpen of this year either.

GAsoxfan
07-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Sometimes i cannot understand people on this board. How could you want to trade the captain? I dont care who we get, in the longrun we will probably get ripped off. Konerko is a huge reason why the team is all hitting right now. He was the first to get on a hot streak, and Mackowiak, Thome, Owens, and somewhat Dye followed. We cannot go into next season and further seasons without this guy!

Actually, he was one of the last ones to get on a hot streak. Thome, Iguchi, and AJ were all picking it up while Konerko was still struggling.

Captain or not, everyone's available for the right price.

PKalltheway
07-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Why on earth would you want to trade the team captain? Plus, he's been with the Sox longer than any other player on the team, and him, along with Buehrle, are the clubhouse leaders. Trading Konerko would be very foolish. Trade Dye instead. At least he's coming up on a contract year. I think the media is just trying to start some stupid ****.

oldroman66
07-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Just not in the cards...he and Buehrle are the strength of this club....KW would have to accomplish major highway robbery to even think of trading him

I just don't see it

spawn
07-25-2007, 02:47 PM
1. The Angels have been interested in Paulie for a while. That's no secret. But just because they're interested doesn't mean KW is shopping him.

2. He's not getting traded. As has been mentioned, he's probably the only position player that is untouchable.

3. Why are we listening to what ESPN says?
Their rumor mill has as much credibility IMO as The Enquirer.

hawkeyesrule
07-25-2007, 02:51 PM
ESPN also reported last month that a Buerhle trade to Boston was "imminent". They broadcast these rumors to get people talking

Goose
07-25-2007, 02:53 PM
ESPN also reported last month that a Buerhle trade to Boston was "imminent". They broadcast these rumors to get people talking

is that a 5 point font?

Mod edit: Whatever it was, it isn't now. I was getting eye strain.

soxfan1983
07-25-2007, 04:29 PM
If they trade Konerko... I would seriously contemplate never going to another Sox game or even be a fan of the Sox. He is the clubhouse leader and face of the Sox now that Thomas is gone. I didnt think it was right to let Thomas go either. They better not do it.... they better not! :angry:

103 screwball
07-25-2007, 04:48 PM
Don't put any pins in the KW voodoo doll and curse the Sox yet. Konerko will not be traded. The Angels inquired and maybe KW asked what they had in mind. It makes for good talk radio and internet discussion.

The Sox are a bit slow and first base heavy with both Konerko and Thome. I might not be a bad move if Konerko wasn't such a team leader and popular player. The only way I can see it happening with KW as the GM is if somehow AROD or some other superstar player ended up with the Sox to cushion the blow of losing Paul.

JB98
07-25-2007, 04:54 PM
It doesn't make sense for the Sox to trade Konerko. You risk losing Dye at the end of the season, if he isn't traded before then. Who knows about Crede?

That would leave an aging, injury-prone Thome as the only proven power source for next year.

Pass.

soxfan43
07-25-2007, 05:21 PM
It's not like Kenny's out there shopping Konerko. If someone calls about ANY of his players, he has to listen. If a team is going to offer a ridiculous amount of talent in return, then Kenny has to at least listen to the offer.

Frater Perdurabo
07-25-2007, 05:37 PM
It's not like Kenny's out there shopping Konerko. If someone calls about ANY of his players, he has to listen. If a team is going to offer a ridiculous amount of talent in return, then Kenny has to at least listen to the offer.

That's the most sensible thing I've read all day. :whistle:

balke
07-25-2007, 06:07 PM
It doesn't make sense for the Sox to trade Konerko. You risk losing Dye at the end of the season, if he isn't traded before then. Who knows about Crede?

That would leave an aging, injury-prone Thome as the only proven power source for next year.

Pass.

Even if they do lose Dye in the offseason, there's a lot of big names in the free agent market.

WhiteSox5187
07-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Look, they can persue PK all they want. ANd truth be told, if I were Kenny I'd listen. The price is going to be very steep but I think almost everyone on this team is moveable right now (except for Buerhle and that's only because he just re-signed)...but I don't think PK is going anywhere. I think this is just a desperate GM saying "Hey, how about Konerko? What would it take to get him?" Doesn't mean anything is going to happen though...I'd look for JD to be moved soon. Either to Boston or LAA.

JB98
07-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Even if they do lose Dye in the offseason, there's a lot of big names in the free agent market.

And all of them will be more expensive than Konerko.

balke
07-25-2007, 06:31 PM
And all of them will be more expensive than Konerko.

But keeping Konerko doesn't give the Sox prospects, or a reliever. I understand Konerko is a steal at what he plays here for. But, if he wants to win a championship this season with the Angels, and they wanna give pieces the team is lacking, it might be something that has to happen. Jim Thome can be a leader too.

JB98
07-25-2007, 06:35 PM
But keeping Konerko doesn't give the Sox prospects, or a reliever. I understand Konerko is a steal at what he plays here for. But, if he wants to win a championship this season with the Angels, and they wanna give pieces the team is lacking, it might be something that has to happen. Jim Thome can be a leader too.

But there's no guarantee that we can sign any of those free agents. I'm not concerned about the leadership factor with Thome. I'm concerned about his increasing fragility and advancing age.

The Angels are just going to have to blow KW away to make a Konerko deal happen. I'd be stunned, frankly. The combinations being thrown around in this thread are pie in the sky, IMO.

esbrechtel
07-26-2007, 12:17 AM
per whitesox.com...
"When asked about the Konerko trade notion, Guillen said his captain should respond with a laugh. Guillen stood strong behind his comments that no move looks to be on the team's current horizon, involving players ranging from free agents-to-be such as Jermaine Dye and Tadahito Iguchi to valuable veterans off the bench such as Rob Mackowiak."

Somehow I felt that this was the case...

Nellie_Fox
07-26-2007, 12:20 AM
If they trade Konerko... I would seriously contemplate never going to another Sox game or even be a fan of the Sox. He is the clubhouse leader and face of the Sox now that Thomas is gone. I didnt think it was right to let Thomas go either. They better not do it.... they better not! :angry:In my time, they've traded Aparicio, Fox, Pierce, Baines, Minoso, I could go on and on. Anybody can be traded. Sometimes it's a good trade, sometimes not, but to base your fandom on any one player is...well...

StillMissOzzie
07-26-2007, 02:23 AM

The trade deadline is fun, I think. I love it.

I gotta admit, I have enjoyed trade deadline talk a lot more when the Sox were buyers instead of sellers.

In my time, they've traded Aparicio, Fox, Pierce, Baines, Minoso, I could go on and on. Anybody can be traded. Sometimes it's a good trade, sometimes not, but to base your fandom on any one player is...well...
Not to mention LaMarr Hoyt. Who'd they get for him, anyhow?
Nobody is untouchable. Nobody. With some guys, you expect a hell of a lot more in return than others. Regarding PK, though, I'd be pissed if it was done purely as a salary dump, getting nothing but prospects in return.

SMO
:(:

jabrch
07-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Regarding PK, though, I'd be pissed if it was done purely as a salary dump, getting nothing but prospects in return.

SMO
:(:

There is absolutely no way they do that.

If they trade him, it won't be a "salary dump" it will be a deal to acquire multiple, top tier, MLB ready prospects who will help us immediately next season.

Brandon Wood, Jeff Mathis and Nick Adnehardt, for example, would be a package of guys that I think KW, OG and JR would have a hard time passing up, even though I'm sure all the "Paul Konerko Fans" would be cancelling their season tickets (the same group who would have canceled had Mark been dealt), the "JR is Cheap crowd" would have new fuel to stoke their fire of ignorance and the "KW is Stupid" crowd would be all over Kenny for getting rid of the team leader for nothing.

I love watching PK hit. I hope he is here for a long time. But if LAA is willing to make us a deal that "we can't refuse", then we'd be stupid to refuse it. I would tell them to go to hell if they tried to sell me on Figgins, Santana and something like Kotchman or Willitis. That's unappealing to me for PK. That might be a discussion starter for JD - but not PK.

BadBobbyJenks
07-26-2007, 05:59 PM
When do the angels ever send a top prospect packing??? They will never offer enough for paulie.

Soxfanspcu11
07-26-2007, 06:55 PM
When are we going to hear from the Konerko fans threatening to cancel their season tickets?

I have full season tickets and have had them since 1997.

I wrote the Sox an email when all the talk was going on about MB, and told them that I would not be returning for 2008 if they did indeed trade Mark.

I would not do the same in regards to Konerko.

I love Pauly, but I don't believe that he is "untouchable". If the Sox can get some good players for him and dump some salary, I'd be all for it.

IMHO, Mark is/was the only untouchable on this team.

As much as I love a lot of players on this team, they are all expendable if the right offer comes around.

If the LAA could get Konerko though, I believe that would make them the favorites to win the American League Pennant.

chisoxfanatic
07-27-2007, 10:51 PM
I don't mean to alarm anyone; but, I didn't even see Konerko in the ballpark tonight. He didn't even play in the game tonight, and, when everyone was hi-fiving each other after the game on the field, I didn't see him out there.

I hope something is not in the workings here. :(:

oeo
07-27-2007, 11:58 PM
I don't mean to alarm anyone; but, I didn't even see Konerko in the ballpark tonight. He didn't even play in the game tonight, and, when everyone was hi-fiving each other after the game on the field, I didn't see him out there.

I hope something is not in the workings here. :(:

If something was 'in the workings,' he would still be with the team.

I think Konerko is second to last on the 'who's like to be traded' list, behind only Buehrle.

esbrechtel
07-28-2007, 12:00 AM
they said on the score that he had the day off because he played bascially all week including both double header games, he is supposed to play tomorrow and take sunday off....

jabrch
07-28-2007, 08:46 AM
From RotoworldThe Angels have basically stopped their pursuit of trading for Mark Teixeira because the Rangers asking price was too high.

The Rangers wanted three players in return. Casey Kotchman and Joe Saunders were offered and accepted, but the two teams couldn't agree on the third. Texas wanted Brandon Wood, Nick Adenhart, Howie Kendrick or Ervin Santana, but the Angels declined.
Source: Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/angels/la-sp-angrep28jul28,1,6591848.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-mlb-angels)

If they were only willing to do guys like Kotchman and Saunders for Teix, and not willing to trade Adenhart or Wood, I don't see any way they'd be able to get PK unless they are willing to pay that much more for him than for Teix.

upperdeckusc
07-28-2007, 09:10 AM
From Rotoworld

If they were only willing to do guys like Kotchman and Saunders for Teix, and not willing to trade Adenhart or Wood, I don't see any way they'd be able to get PK unless they are willing to pay that much more for him than for Teix.

if we could get wood, shields, and adenhardt, i'd give them konerko and a prospect that wouldnt hurt giving up too much. we'd have our SS, a solid bullpen man, and a future pitcher. we could toy with the idea of putting fields at 1b if credes comes back healthy. best case scenario, we could have an IF of crede, wood, richar, and fields. JUUUUUUUUST throwing ideas out there. i think 3 solid players for texiera is a healthy return, and konerko is proven to be healthier than texiera, so its a possibility. if we can fill 3 holes by trading one guy, i wouldnt object. we could even ask for kotchman instead of a pitcher if we want to plug a 1B in right away.