PDA

View Full Version : Brew Crew has interest in Dye.

oeo
07-25-2007, 01:39 AM
I'd love for Dye to kick some Cubbie ass. Apparently they don't want to give up Turnbow or the 24-year-old lefty Manny Parra (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Manny%20Parra&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=448159).

The Brewers, a team that could benefit from the addition of an experienced position player, kicked around the idea of pursuing White Sox right fielder Jermaine Dye.

The problem is, the Brewers lack the young bullpen arm that the Sox are seeking. They're unwilling to part with right-handers Derrick Turnbow or Manny Parra.http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7056962

Gooch also gets a mention in the article as a potential suitor of the Mets.

kittle42
07-25-2007, 01:48 AM
No problem. We'll take Braun off their hands. :D:

AJ Hellraiser
07-25-2007, 03:04 AM
I wouldn't want any part of Turnbow anyways... maybe Matt Wise... sad that the value for JD has been reduced to 1 average relief pitcher

MUsoxfan
07-25-2007, 03:19 AM
I wouldn't want any part of Turnbow anyways... maybe Matt Wise... sad that the value for JD has been reduced to 1 average relief pitcher

I'd love to have either. But the fact of the matter is that the Brewers need every bit of relief help they can get and I don't blame them for not wanting to dump any

FedEx227
07-25-2007, 09:14 AM
Why does this seem like another stupid rumor with no credence (aka 98% of trade deadline rumors)

The Brewers already have a surplus of outfielders to the point they are platooning Kevin Mench and Geoff Jenkins, have Tony Gwynn Jr, Corey Hart and will be getting Bill Hall back soon.

Plus they have nothing they'd be willing to trade at this point, they need relief help.

Jaffar
07-25-2007, 09:20 AM
Why does this seem like another stupid rumor with no credence (aka 98% of trade deadline rumors)

The Brewers already have a surplus of outfielders to the point they are platooning Kevin Mench and Geoff Jenkins, have Tony Gwynn Jr, Corey Hart and will be getting Bill Hall back soon.

Plus they have nothing they'd be willing to trade at this point, they need relief help.

But getting Jermaine Dye gives a young team with no playoff experience a World Series MVP 2 years removed. He'll also only be there for this year so he won't be blocking the way of the young talent.

Tragg
07-25-2007, 09:20 AM
Why are we looking for a young "Bullpen" arm...that usually means "low ceiling". I can understand looking for young arms (although we have a lot of them) but forget that "let's draft Royce Ring" philosophy. Anyway, I'd think a SS or CF would be higher priority.

FedEx227
07-25-2007, 09:29 AM
But getting Jermaine Dye gives a young team with no playoff experience a World Series MVP 2 years removed. He'll also only be there for this year so he won't be blocking the way of the young talent.

While Craig Counsell, Damian Miller and Jeff Suppan provide absolutely no WS experience?

MeteorsSox4367
07-25-2007, 09:29 AM
Anyway, I'd think a SS or CF would be higher priority.

Maybe Kenny Williams could talk them into JD for J.J. Hardy.

balke
07-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Behind Gallardo, there was supposedly another top pitching AA prospect on the Brew Crew. He was injured the majority of last season I believe. I heard the Brewers manager on the Score one morning and he labeled him as second only to Gio Gonzalez as far as AA pitchers go.

I'm not sure who that prospect was though, and if he was injured already that's a red flag. Looking at the Huntsville roster the only guy I think it might be is Parra.

Mr. White Sox
07-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Behind Gallardo, there was supposedly another top pitching AA prospect on the Brew Crew. He was injured the majority of last season I believe. I heard the Brewers manager on the Score one morning and he labeled him as second only to Gio Gonzalez as far as AA pitchers go.

I'm not sure who that prospect was though, and if he was injured already that's a red flag. Looking at the Huntsville roster the only guy I think it might be is Parra.

It is Parra. He even threw a no-hitter this year in AA. I've said for a while that I'd think KW would be interested in Turnbow, but I think the White Sox are giving up way too much in Dye considering Turnbow's massive struggles last year. Dye for Turnbow and Tony Gwinn Jr., though, makes sense but won't happen.

INSox56
07-25-2007, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't want any part of Turnbow anyways... maybe Matt Wise... sad that the value for JD has been reduced to 1 average relief pitcherNot really an indictment on his being an overall bad player... Just look at the facts, he's having a horrible year and is a half-year rental. Would you give up more for him? Unlike a trade for a good player with a few years left on the contract, you're trading for what he is right now, not his potential in better years.

Jaffar
07-25-2007, 11:24 AM
While Craig Counsell, Damian Miller and Jeff Suppan provide absolutely no WS experience?

I didn't say absolutely no experience and should have been more clear I guess but those 3 players aren't exactly the kind of players that will step up and lead a team to a World Series victory.

Law11
07-25-2007, 06:46 PM
No problem. We'll take Braun off their hands. :D:

Or Hardy.. Either way I'd be happy

mjmcend
07-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Since the Brew Crew just got Linebrick, they might be more willing to part with Turnbow now.

JB98
07-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Since the Brew Crew just got Linebrick, they might be more willing to part with Turnbow now.

I don't think so. The Brewers acquired Linebrink because they were concerned about a lack of depth in the bullpen. They've been relying on Turnbow A LOT to pitch the eighth inning. Now, they have two guys they can go to in that situations.

If they turn around and deal Turnbow, that defeats the purpose of acquiring Linebrink.

UserNameBlank
07-25-2007, 08:26 PM
This probably isn't going to sound right, but maybe we shouldn't be targeting contenders for Dye. Maybe we should be looking at Tampa Bay or something like that because they have the players that we would want. I think it's probably time to deal Gio with Buehrle extended and Danks doing well, so maybe we could swing Dye and Gio for a young stud position player. Dye is going to net two draft picks so it would be like Gio + 2 picks for whoever. Just a thought.

JB98
07-25-2007, 08:48 PM
This probably isn't going to sound right, but maybe we shouldn't be targeting contenders for Dye. Maybe we should be looking at Tampa Bay or something like that because they have the players that we would want. I think it's probably time to deal Gio with Buehrle extended and Danks doing well, so maybe we could swing Dye and Gio for a young stud position player. Dye is going to net two draft picks so it would be like Gio + 2 picks for whoever. Just a thought.

I don't think I'd deal Gio. I like the idea of three lefties in the rotation. Not to mention, I don't have overwhelming faith in Floyd, Broadway, McCullough, et al.

Flight #24
07-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Hopefully the Linebrink deal gets some others off their asses and helps set the market a bit. A good setup man who's a 2 month rental just garnered the #3 prospect and a couple more decent ones. Hopefully a former WS MVP who's rebounded from a horrid start can net something similar.

Tragg
07-25-2007, 09:04 PM
The Brewers are in a race and would never trade Turnbow
But why would we want to give up talent for him? We loaded the pen up this year with career middle relivers; the result was a disaster. Why repeat a failed approach? (sidenote - Turnbow had an ERA near 7 last year).

I agree with Blank in principle....let's get a quality young position player(s) in here. That's what we need. We've got enough mediocre ballplayers (especially on offense).