PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Pods Is Back Game 2 7/24/2007 Postgame Thread

MCHSoxFan
07-24-2007, 10:41 PM
As a result of him being back and the "VERY BIG" Jim Thomethe Sox...Win!!!! :D: I thought the game was lost after GF's poor pitching performance. Man, am I glad I was wrong!!! Also, I really like how right after Mack made that mistake, HE HITS A HOMERUN. Man, when Thome hit that homerun I was sooo happy. I went NUTS!!! I ran right outside my door and watched those beautiful fireworks!!!!

NDSox12
07-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Haven't had a day like this in quite some time. Two nice wins, especially the come from behind one tonight.

aryzner
07-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Pods in, Sox win?

Jurr
07-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Dude, you're the first person I've ever seen that has the wrap up written before the game's over. Get into journalism, man!:D:

This season has sucked terribly, but this one right here shows you why it pays to keep on watchin'!!!!!

HotelWhiteSox
Wasn't expecting a sweep with Floyd, nice comeback boys. Nice line for the pen too

oeo
This has to be the best game in some time. Floyd has a not-so-great outing...the bullpen holds them at 7 and we come back from the 6 run deficit.

:bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

thomas35forever
07-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Wow! It feels like 2005 again! Coincidentally, I just bought the collectors' edition today.

stl_sox_fan
07-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Why can't today be the day the Sox seem to use for their version of Groundhog's Day?

kittle42
07-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Well, this day was about 2 months too late.

JB98
Wow! A great day, which has been rare this season.

Wonderful to come back from a 7-1 deficit.

Is this the start of a season-turning run? :dtroll:

:)

NDSox12
As a result of him being back and the "VERY BIG" Jim Thomethe Sox...Win!!!! :D: I thought the game was lost after GF's poor pitching performance. Man, am I glad I was wrong!!! Also, I really like how right after Mack made that mistake, HE HITS A HOMERUN. Man, when Thome hit that homerun I was sooo happy. I went NUTS!!! I ran right outside my door and watched those beautiful fireworks!!!!

I thought you said you were going to the game tonight. Or did you leave early so you could get home in time to start the post game thread?

Patrick134
Huge, gigantic win. 4 game swing in the standings. Pods with the huge steal. The Sox are back !

russ99
07-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Great comeback!! :D::bandance:

Best day to be a Sox fan in a while...

MCHSoxFan
07-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Pods in, Sox win?

Just happy to see him in the line-up. And helping this team, if I must say so myself. :D:

TomParrish79
07-24-2007, 10:47 PM
very nice day

soltrain21
07-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Huge, gigantic win. 4 game swing in the standings. Pods with the huge steal. The Sox are back !

Please stop.

balke
07-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Back in black baby. Just stay healthy this time. Maybe the sox can win out. :redneck

kittle42
07-24-2007, 10:49 PM

Seriously, I loved it when we were slip-sliding away, and the game threads made me laugh at the team, but now that we're so close to last (after having just been there), the act isn't as funny.

MCHSoxFan
07-24-2007, 10:49 PM
I thought you said you were going to the game tonight. Or did you leave early so you could get home in time to start the post game thread?

My brother and dad went. I stayed and watched at home. Watched the fireworks from my front yard and listened to "Go Go White Sox!"

Patrick134
07-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Seriously, I loved it when we were slip-sliding away, and the game threads made me laugh at the team, but now that we're so close to last (after having just been there), the act isn't as funny.

I don't think the tigers are laughing. They wanted game 2 bad, and pissed it away.

PeoriaSoxFan
07-24-2007, 10:50 PM
A Double Header Sweep rocks. Gavin Floyd, not so much. Great 06 offseason KW. Here's to better days ahead like today. :gulp:

oeo
07-24-2007, 10:52 PM
A Double Header Sweep rocks. Gavin Floyd, not so much. Great 06 offseason KW. Here's to better days ahead like today. :gulp:

How's Freddy Garcia pitching?

Oh yeah, I forgot, he's not.

Tragg
Great win.

Leave Floyd up; he can't be worse than Bukvich (protected ERA again tonight - and thank goodness it was) and several others; he needs major league experience and may be good. If Owens and his .290 OBP .250 slg is hitting too well to send down, then give some more young players shots (and I'm glad Owens is staying up).

Another good night by Rob M.

Now if we can get an outing out of Jose C.

MCHSoxFan
Do you think we could have still won if Hall played and AJ did not come in when he did? I do not mean if Hall still played while being hurt. I mean if he just stayed in the game and AJ was not put in. I know AJ would not have been put in if Hall was not hurt.

Oldfellah
07-24-2007, 10:55 PM
Wow,,, Sox fans have something to be happy about for a change and the dark clouds try to bring rain... Nice!

To those who haven't given up hope,,,,,, :gulp:

peeonwrigley
07-24-2007, 10:55 PM
I don't think the tigers are laughing. They wanted game 2 bad, and pissed it away.

Yes, because wins and losses still matter for them.

That said, it feels great to win a couple games against a very good team. Finally a very good White Sox day.

Tragg
07-24-2007, 10:57 PM
And it nudges the Yankees closer and closer to being back in the race and that's okay by me....ONe less seller to compete with the Sox and one more buyer to compete for Sox players.

ChiSoxGirl
07-24-2007, 10:58 PM
What a REALLY nice day! I was at the first game, which was an all-around well-played game, and then to come home and watch a nightcap like this?! Wow.

I'm not trying to be a Polyanna or anything, but you really have to hand it to this team today... and the bullpen didn't even give the lead away! :o:

How 'bout my boy, Pods?! :wink: I just love the way he got into Miner's head in the 8th; he can really reek havoc on the bases. Pods in, Sox win. Welcome back, baby! :smile:

Tragg
07-24-2007, 10:59 PM

Big night for Ross Gload though. 3/4 and his OBP is up to .290.
Williams didn't get us much last offseason, but at least he didn't give up much.

kittle42
07-24-2007, 11:00 PM

Why do I give two ****s about the Tigers?

kittle42
07-24-2007, 11:01 PM

Ugh.

What Garcia is doing is somewhat irrelevant. The argument to be made (and that has been beat to death) is that a better trade could have been made than the one with Philly.

oeo
07-24-2007, 11:01 PM
Big night for Ross Gload though. 3/4 and his OBP is up to .290.
Williams didn't get us much last offseason, but at least he didn't give up much.

I don't get why people still whine over that Garcia trade. The guy was toast, and we got Gio back for him. No one should be whining about it.

kittle42
07-24-2007, 11:02 PM
Now if we can get an outing out of Jose C.

I can say with 100% certainty that unless Jose Contreras gets injured or traded before 7:11 tomorrow night, the Sox will indeed get an outing out of him. :cool:

Patrick134
07-24-2007, 11:02 PM
Why do I give two ****s about the Tigers?

I'm just saying it was a big game, and a big win for the sox.

voodoochile
07-24-2007, 11:03 PM
When's the last time the Sox came back from 6 down to win?

Feels like forever...

Definitely a different kind of day and I likey...

oeo
Ugh.

What Garcia is doing is somewhat irrelevant. The argument to be made (and that has been beat to death) is that a better trade could have been made than the one with Philly.

It is relevant because Freddy's fastball had lost its velocity last year and looked to be on the decline...who was going to take a 1-year risk on the guy? Give me some links to some other deals that were offered. If Kenny could have gotten more, he would have, get over it. It was the best deal out there, and there's no way you can say it was not.

Just because you, myself, and everyone else out there thought we could get a killing does not mean it was possible.

getonbckthr
So the key to the offseason might be find a Scott Podesednik that isn't hurt 75% of the season.

kittle42
07-24-2007, 11:04 PM
I don't get why people still whine over that Garcia trade. The guy was toast, and we got Gio back for him. No one should be whining about it.

Talk to me when Gonzalez throws a major-league pitch. The jury is out for a while on whether Williams made the right move with the right trade partner. Can't we all just leave it that way???

Patrick134
07-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Ugh.

True, but if Garcia was 12-5 right now, the whiners would be out in full force.

kittle42
07-24-2007, 11:05 PM
It is relevant because Freddy's fastball had lost it's velocity last year...who was going to take a 1-year risk on the guy? Give me some links to some other deals that were offered. If Kenny could have gotten more, he would have, get over it. It was the best deal out there, and there's no way you can say it was not.

I'm not advocating one way or the other, really. Just was pointing out a flaw in your argument, and see my other post - I have no desire to turn this into another Freddy Garcia trade thread.

lostfan
07-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Wow,,, Sox fans have something to be happy about for a change and the dark clouds try to bring rain... Nice!

There really is no hope to give up, games like this are really the only thing to look forward to. Of course the Sox still have a chance, so do the Royals, Devil Rays, Orioles, etc... at this point in the season it would literally take a miracle for the Sox to get back in it.

And I'd hardly be ashamed of having to eat crow for failing to predict one of the best comebacks in the history of sports, either.

lostfan
07-24-2007, 11:11 PM
So the key to the offseason might be find a Scott Podesednik that isn't hurt 75% of the season.
...may not need to look any farther than Jerry Owens

goon
07-24-2007, 11:11 PM

Yes. It's probably that simple.

Tragg
07-24-2007, 11:12 PM
While that trade didn't hurt the team, it hasn't helped...yet.
I want both Floyd and Gio on this team now to see what they can do....but as of now, they haven't produced anything so the trade can't be considered good. And, you could argue opportunity cost...we could have made another trade that would have helped (although I don't know what that could have been - maybe something with Houston).

Tragg
07-24-2007, 11:14 PM
I can say with 100% certainty that unless Jose Contreras gets injured or traded before 7:11 tomorrow night, the Sox will indeed get an outing out of him. :cool:
I guess we have different definitions of "outing."..the Sox haven't gotten one out of him in 6 weeks, by my definition.
.:cool::cool: Take that!

Huisj
07-24-2007, 11:16 PM

And now they'll go play .750 ball for the rest of the year, and they finish . . . oh, well, with 92 wins, which probably still won't get them to the playoffs.

But on a more serious note, it still feels good to watch these two games today and see them win them both in good and different ways. It'll at least keep all my Tiger fan friends here from being on me the next few days.

SoxandtheCityTee
07-24-2007, 11:19 PM
To sweep a DH is always impressive and, at this point in this season against this team, special indeed. I hope that some of the people who suffered through that day-night-mare vs. the Twins were rewarded by being at these games.

Reminded agian that Mackowiak is brutal in the OF; not just the non-catch error leading to two unearned, but popping Owens in the face when he appeared to be waving and yelling Mack off at the top of his lungs on a fly ball. At least Rob tries to make it up at the plate and on the bases, and tonight that worked.

manders_01
07-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Everyone seems either really crabby or really happy tonight...what's up with all the crabby-patties? LOL Couldn't help the SBSP reference.

The dark clouds can't get me though - great wins today!

MisterB
07-24-2007, 11:24 PM
When's the last time the Sox came back from 6 down to win?

Feels like forever...

Honest answer:

April 28, 2004 vs. the Indians. Sox were down 8-2 starting the 7th and went on to win 9-8 thanks to a 5 run 9th.

Linky (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200404280.shtml)

:D:

Palehose Pete
07-24-2007, 11:26 PM
Woo hoo!

For a couple of innings, it felt like 2005 all over again. Welcome back, Scotty Pods! :gulp:

Never say die, keep fighting until the last out, get 'em on, get 'em over, get 'em in.

I'm so happy at taking the DH today that I'll even overlook the fact that Jerry Owen has to learn to do something other than run really fast. Like, hmmm... bunt?

BarbG
07-24-2007, 11:27 PM

I agree. :smile:

That was cool. After screwing up, instead of pouting or giving up Rob was able to put that energy into something positive and creams that ball. How refreshing. Two good games in one day! :D:

itsnotrequired
07-24-2007, 11:28 PM
A fun day to be at the park.

Sig update time...

lostfan
07-24-2007, 11:54 PM
I'm so happy at taking the DH today that I'll even overlook the fact that Jerry Owen has to learn to do something other than run really fast. Like, hmmm... bunt?
Are you being sarcastic? How can Owens possibly be expected to be any better at bunting his way on and legging out infield singles than he already is? How do you suppose he's raised his BA about 80ish points?

Brian26
07-25-2007, 12:04 AM
The best twelve hours I've spent at the Park since the Red Sox game last year. :D:

ilsox7
07-25-2007, 12:05 AM
The best twelve hours I've spent at the Park since the Red Sox game last year. :D:

Damn you. I can't buy a ****ing win!

Brian26
07-25-2007, 12:06 AM
Are you being sarcastic? How can Owens possibly be expected to be any better at bunting his way on and legging out infield singles than he already is? How do you suppose he's raised his BA about 80ish points?

Are you being sarcastic?

Owens has a lot to learn before he is considered anywhere near a capable bunter, let alone a good bunter. Today alone he made two terrible bunts back to the pitcher, and he recently said in an interview that he didn't learn how to bunt in the minors and is trying to learn now (which is a pathetic statement about the Sox farm system).

Brian26
07-25-2007, 12:07 AM
Damn you. I can't buy a ****ing win!

I'd be undefeated this year if I didn't go to any games with you. :D:

ilsox7
07-25-2007, 12:08 AM
I'd be undefeated this year if I didn't go to any games with you. :D:

Everyone would be. I am the curse.

GlassSox
07-25-2007, 12:14 AM
Just got home from the game. What a come back. We were sitting near a group of Tigger fans and the come back sure silenced them. Some of them even left early.

What a great night at the Cell, we had such a great time.

Brian26
07-25-2007, 12:15 AM

Sox fans don't believe in curses! :D:

WhiteSox5187
07-25-2007, 12:22 AM
Well...the playoffs are out of the question. .500 is very much a possibility, but I wanna wait and see how these next couple of games turn out...we could cause head aches for a lot of teams.

ws05champs
07-25-2007, 12:35 AM
Just got back from the game. This was probably the most exciting game I have been to all season.

Martinigirl
07-25-2007, 12:39 AM
Well I knew there would be problems when I attended a game with the battery of Hall and Floyd. Who knew all we need was to get the both out of them out of the game to come back and win? Not that I wish anything bad to happen to Toby. That said, the crowd went nuts when AJ entered the game.

It was a fantastic game, and the first winning game I have seen all year. Finally a reason to leave the park happy.

And the Detroit fans were obnoxious. I was thrilled to see them sit there are we came back to win.

chisoxfanatic
07-25-2007, 02:31 AM
It was nice bumping into you on the 100-level concourse before the game!

That's definitely the second-best game I've attended this year (I WAS at Buehrle's no-hitter). It was a beautiful thing seeing the droves of Tiger fans leaving in the middle of that miracle of an 8th inning. It's about time we get SOMETHING to smile about this season.

Railsplitter
07-25-2007, 06:27 AM
Two wins in one day
:bandance::bandance:

itsnotrequired
07-25-2007, 07:39 AM

I need to bring my Detroit friend more often. She was at the 9/19 game last season when the Sox beat the Tigers 7-0 and she was there last night.

HerzogVon
07-25-2007, 08:34 AM

Of course, an extended injury free time isn't likely to happen anymore. Still, the fact remains that when a healthy Pods plays, this team is much more likely to win.

My point being that it isn't simply the quality of the players, but the combination of same that produces winning. ( Dare I mention "chemistry"? ) This also explains why I continue to pine for Rowand.

Anyway, a great day all around. Should have had on our "throwback" unis, as that second game really was one.

"Old Pining Tar"

lostfan
07-25-2007, 08:38 AM
Are you being sarcastic?

Owens has a lot to learn before he is considered anywhere near a capable bunter, let alone a good bunter. Today alone he made two terrible bunts back to the pitcher, and he recently said in an interview that he didn't learn how to bunt in the minors and is trying to learn now (which is a pathetic statement about the Sox farm system).
I don't get to watch Sox games everyday, but I've only ever seen him make one bad bunt (saw there in person) in the direction of second base, and it rolled too fast. But he still got on base anyway. All the other times I've seen him play his bunts have been good. Only today did I see him try to bunt and ground out to the pitcher.

Let me put it this way... the rest of the team is so terrible at bunting that it makes him look fantastic.

October26
07-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Pods in, Sox win?

Yes, it was so great to see Pods running again. The Sox have missed him terribly this year (duh!). I put my kids to bed last night, had my bubble bath and then tuned back in to Channel 26 (WCIU). I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was so much fun to see the Sox playing well. The thing I enjoyed the most was seeing all of the players smiling after the game, you know, when they are congratulating each other on the field. Everybody looked like they were little boys playing the game instead of the grumpy old men we've see this year. Winning is fun and fun is winning as Ozzie has told us.

Tuesday's DH wins eased some of my pain from watching the Twins DH disaster earlier this month.
Tuesday's double header win - Fantastico!:)

Rockin Robin
07-25-2007, 09:31 AM
Yeah, I know it's only a drop in the bucket this year, but the feeling I had going to bed last night was one of the best i've had this year. Such a quality win, and it gives me some hope going into the latter part of the year, and in to next year.

Basically, I know we're out of it, I just want something to cheer about.

jabrch
07-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Talk to me when Gonzalez throws a major-league pitch. The jury is out for a while on whether Williams made the right move with the right trade partner. Can't we all just leave it that way???

Not really - he saved 9mm on a guy who will do NOTHING all year, who he realized had to be moved, and he got a guy who is a top LHP prospect. It is not acceptable to leave this open as an area where he is vulnerable to criticism. Saying he might have been able to make some other deal is ridiculous. There's always that potential...but you don't evaluate a deal based on other deals not made. That's unfair.

KW traded away a 9mm non-performing contract for a top pitching prospect plus whatever Floyd ends up being. Even if Floyd is nothing, the value of Gio today as one of the top LHP in all of the minors, is well above the value of Freddo.

Flight #24
07-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Great win.

Leave Floyd up; he can't be worse than Bukvich (protected ERA again tonight - and thank goodness it was) and several others; he needs major league experience and may be good. If Owens and his .290 OBP .250 slg is hitting too well to send down, then give some more young players shots (and I'm glad Owens is staying up).

:?:

Owens is hitting .293 / .341 since being called back up. His stats look a lot worse because in his initial stint he hit .170/.214. But he's already got more ABs the 2d time around and looks very good. It's misleading to use the totals to imply that he's not actually hitting all that well.

Rockin Robin
07-25-2007, 12:38 PM
I like what i've seen from Owens. Keep him up. He can only get better.

Look at Dustin Pedroia. His start out here was AWWWWWWFUL, and he's been lighting the world on fire from mid May on.

kittle42
07-25-2007, 12:55 PM
I like what i've seen from Owens. Keep him up. He can only get better.

Imagine what he could do if he hit the ball out of the infield!

Jaffar
07-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Imagine what he could do if he hit the ball out of the infield!

Along with bunting, it sounds like they should start teaching that stuff in the Sox Minor league system....not sure what color to make that after Owens comment about learning to bunt at the MLB level.

palehozenychicty
07-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Nice comeback win at night. Now we can trade Pods. No deep pink necessary.

MCHSoxFan
07-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Of course, an extended injury free time isn't likely to happen anymore. Still, the fact remains that when a healthy Pods plays, this team is much more likely to win.

My point being that it isn't simply the quality of the players, but the combination of same that produces winning. ( Dare I mention "chemistry"? ) This also explains why I continue to pine for Rowand.

Anyway, a great day all around. Should have had on our "throwback" unis, as that second game really was one.

"Old Pining Tar"

YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! :D: This what I am talking about. This is wy I want Rowand back and Pods to stay here and STAY healthy. It is all about chemistry!!!!!! Sure, I like Jim Thome. He ia also a really nice guy. However, I would prefer Rowand for that reason!!!!

Once again: YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! :D:

chisox77
07-25-2007, 04:19 PM
It starts today . . .

:cool: