PDA

View Full Version : The Dick Allen Show

ChiSox Charlie
07-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Anyone remember the Dick Allen Show on Channel 44? I believe it was a talk show hosted by Allen on Sunday after the game with a lot of Chevy commercials.

Lip Man 1
07-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Yes I do....I remember the commercials as well...Dick, Chuck and Wilbur 'switchin' on!'

Dick gave it his best but even at his best the show was difficult to watch...I mean with 'quality' guests like Jeannie Morris and Dick Gonski, Dick would have to be Houdini to pull it off.

It also would have helped had the Sox actually been winning, that certainly would have improved viewership.

On the whole, Dick was a much better player then a host.

:smile:

Lip

michned
07-24-2007, 11:52 PM
Yes I do....I remember the commercials as well...Dick, Chuck and Wilbur 'switchin' on!'

Dick, Wilbur, and Melton singing in the shower, no less!

Noneck
07-25-2007, 12:15 AM
Didn't Rick Talley host it? And I remember Richie Allen being a no show quite often.

DickAllen72
07-25-2007, 12:59 AM
Dick was late for the first show. :tongue:

Nellie_Fox
07-25-2007, 01:28 AM
Didn't Rick Talley host it? And I remember Richie Allen being a no show quite often.Excuse me? It was Dick "don't call me Richie" Allen, thank you very much.

TDog
07-25-2007, 01:48 AM
Didn't Rick Talley host it? And I remember Richie Allen being a no show quite often.

The show was on in 1973, when the White Sox appeared on the verge of running away with the division on the back of 1972 MVP Dick Allen. It was on Sunday nights. I recall Allen sitting back in a chair saying he had expected the White Sox to be building a bigger lead over the (defending and eventually repeating champion) Oakland A's. I also remember Allen not showing up for the show after his injury.

RadioheadRocks
07-25-2007, 01:55 AM
Dick, Wilbur, and Melton singing in the shower, no less!

Actually that "singing in the showers" Chevy commercial featured Pat Kelly, Bill Melton and Wilbur Wood.

michned
07-25-2007, 02:03 AM
Actually that "singing in the showers" Chevy commercial featured Pat Kelly, Bill Melton and Wilbur Wood.

They may have been the three worst singers in the world. :D:

"Switch on, there goes another Chevy..."

Wsoxmike59
07-25-2007, 07:37 AM
I went to the Dick Allen show one Sunday after the Brewers kicked the Sox' ass in a double header. I went to the doubleheader during the day with my best friend and his step dad who was our little league manager.

After the ballgames we stopped for dinner and he dropped us off at Ch 44 studios downtown. (Grant St)

I still remember the guests that night were Beltin' Bill Melton, new Sox call up Jerry Hairston, and Milwaukee Brewer announcer Bob Uecker.

Uecker was hilarious, and this was just before he went "national" with his appearance on the Tonite Show with Johnny Carson.

Uecker brought the house down with his stories, the one I remember was him telling the story how his teammates coated his jockstrap with ben gay in between games of a DH in St.L when he was scheduled to catch the 2nd game.

By the time he hit the field it started burning and he said it made for a very uncomfortable afternoon catching on a steamy hot St L day.

I remember I became a big Bob Uecker fan after that night, so much so I would occasionally listen to Brewer games on the radio pulling in their games on my brother's new stereo receiver...LOL. (Uecker - Merle Harmon - and Jim Hegan in the radio booth in those days)

And I used to have a really nice B/W portable TV in my bedroom in those days, and on a clear summer night I could occasionally pull in the Brewers games on TV (not often and it was really fuzzy and I used to remark that it looked like when the Sox first moved over the Ch 32 in '68!)

jackbrohamer
07-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Dick Allen wasn't exactly what you would call an electrifying entertainer. IIRC one of the years that the show was on was '72 and they were playing pretty well for most of that season.

At around the same time there was a show called "The Knot Hole Gang" or something like that, it must have been in 1973 because Steve Stone hosted it during his first tour with the White Sox. I think they would show it before the Sox' pregame show. It included tips from players on various fundamentals which they gave to a bunch of kids.

If any film of those shows survives, they would probably look like something from out of the stone age. Not a lot of production skills in either show.

TornLabrum
07-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Dick Allen wasn't exactly what you would call an electrifying entertainer. IIRC one of the years that the show was on was '72 and they were playing pretty well for most of that season.

At around the same time there was a show called "The Knot Hole Gang" or something like that, it must have been in 1973 because Steve Stone hosted it during his first tour with the White Sox. I think they would show it before the Sox' pregame show. It included tips from players on various fundamentals which they gave to a bunch of kids.

If any film of those shows survives, they would probably look like something from out of the stone age. Not a lot of production skills in either show.

The Knot Hole Gang was followed by the show that was hosted by the aforementioned Cubs fan Rick Talley, "TSHBFIA" ("The Second Hungriest Baseball Fans in America", the hungriest being the northsiders, of course).

SBSoxFan
07-25-2007, 12:18 PM
They may have been the three worst singers in the world. :D:

"Switch on, there goes another Chevy..."

Have you heard Andre Dawson and Carlton Fisk in that gray-hair-color commercial? :o:

Lip Man 1
07-25-2007, 01:39 PM
Hal:

I was actually a 'guest' on that show.

Lip

Wsoxmike59
07-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Hal:

I was actually a 'guest' on that show.

Lip

Video proof or it didn't happen! :D:

Medford Bobby
07-26-2007, 10:13 AM
:D:Some where in my archives of crap I have some of that "Knot Hole Gang" club stuff....I'll have to look for it now that I'm closer to my mom's storage shed......:wink:

PeteWard
07-29-2007, 05:08 AM
:D:Some where in my archives of crap I have some of that "Knot Hole Gang" club stuff....I'll have to look for it now that I'm closer to my mom's storage shed......:wink:'

Wasn't that show usually hosted by Allen's back up, Tony Muser? He used to come in late for defense if the Sox were winning big.

TornLabrum
07-29-2007, 12:03 PM
'

Wasn't that show usually hosted by Allen's back up, Tony Muser? He used to come in late for defense if the Sox were winning big.

The Knot Hole Gang was hosted by Steve Stone during his first tour of duty with the Sox.

soxfan1965
07-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Here's a link of a small photo of Allen on the show.

Look for "1973 The Dick Allen Show":

http://www.whitesoxphotos.com/a/allendick/index.htm