PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Store @ 111th & Pulaski

Viva Medias B's
07-24-2007, 01:14 PM
I noticed that there is a store selling White Sox souvenirs at 111th Street and Pulaski Road in Mt. Greenwood. The store is in an abandoned hot dog stand on the northeast corner of the intersection. Has anyone been to it? If so, how would you rate it?

soxinem1
07-24-2007, 01:49 PM
They opened right after the 2005 World Series, IIRC. They have decent prices, but most of the stuff is counterfeit. If you want one of those 'Chicago Champions' type shirts wheere the teams name and logo is not represented, they have plenty.

A lot of their stuff resembles those fan-type t-shirts you can get around the park, like the Sox guy wizzing on the cub hat, etc.

twentywontowin
07-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Ahh, the old La Papa's by my house.

The same place was also the Bears Super Bowl merchandise store back in January. Painted blue and orange as well.

The guy just sells a ton of bootleg products.

getonbckthr
07-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Honestly besides the clock and maybe a flag the place sucks.

mandmandm
07-24-2007, 01:57 PM
I thought this place was shut down by the city in 05 for not having the right permits/authority to sell items.

rocky biddle
07-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Like other people have said, it's just a bunch of bootleg and cheap looking stuff. They painted it blue and orange and sold Bears stuff during football season, then green/white/orange and sold cheesy Irish stuff around St. Pat's. I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been painted blue and red yet.

soxfan43
07-24-2007, 02:25 PM
These places always pop up. I remember when I was a kid going to a similar place for the first Bulls 3peat and the Hawks going to the Cup finals in 1991(or92). Most of the stuff is crap, but if you're looking for cheap stuff, these places are it.

thedudeabides
07-24-2007, 03:23 PM
Honestly besides the clock and maybe a flag the place sucks.

They have some decent bean bag boxes, as well. But yea other than that it's pretty much garbage. I'm guessing it'll be a Bears store again in a couple of weeks.

y2j2785
07-24-2007, 04:46 PM
They opened right after the 2005 World Series, IIRC. They have decent prices, but most of the stuff is counterfeit. If you want one of those 'Chicago Champions' type shirts wheere the teams name and logo is not represented, they have plenty.

A lot of their stuff resembles those fan-type t-shirts you can get around the park, like the Sox guy wizzing on the cub hat, etc.

Counterfeit is right. There was a stand by my house during the 05 playoffs and I bough an AL Central Champions shirt and on the back it has the entire roster, but Joe Crede isnt on there!!!!

HotelWhiteSox
07-24-2007, 04:54 PM
Counterfeit is right. There was a stand by my house during the 05 playoffs and I bough an AL Central Champions shirt and on the back it has the entire roster, but Joe Crede isnt on there!!!!

That's official, I remember that being a mistake at the time, I think it had to do with them taking the roster names while he was on the DL, still lame, but yeah

MDF3530
07-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Ahh, the old La Papa's by my house.OMG, I remember that too!

I transferred to the Chicago High School for Agricultural Sciences for my final two years of high school. That and Red's II were the after-school hangout places.

WhiteSox5187
07-24-2007, 11:48 PM
I haven't seen that place, but there was a little stand that you'd see by the park right next to Bleeker's on 95th. I don't remember the stuff but some of it actually seemed legit.

Viva Medias B's
07-25-2007, 07:24 AM
I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been painted blue and red yet.

A Cub store? In Mt. Greenwood? I sure Mt. Greenwood would be a great place to have a Cubs store, along with Beverly and Morgan Park.

Hendu
07-25-2007, 07:35 AM
A Cub store? In Mt. Greenwood? I sure Mt. Greenwood would be a great place to have a Cubs store, along with Beverly and Morgan Park.

I lived in Mt. Greenwood during the 2003 Cubs run and I saw plenty of Cubs flags, and businesses had "Go Cubs" signs up. There's no shortage of bandwagon jumpers on the south side.

MeteorsSox4367
07-25-2007, 08:33 AM
I lived in Mt. Greenwood during the 2003 Cubs run and I saw plenty of Cubs flags, and businesses had "Go Cubs" signs up. There's no shortage of bandwagon jumpers on the south side.

Not even bandwagon jumpers. My brother-in-law, who grew up in Beverly and graduated from Morgan Park HS, is a diehard Cubs fan. He's even made my three beloved nephews into Cubs fans. In fact, my nine-year-old nephew gets a kick out of reminding me that "the Sox suck."

soxinem1
07-25-2007, 10:00 AM

Very true, but even in Wrigleyville the Sox had quite a bandwagon contingent themselves. Consequences of a winning team.

I've lived on the SW side/EP my whole life, and in 1984, 1989, 1998, and definitely 2003, plenty of pro-cub crap came out of the woodwork.

There are a ton of cub fans all over the SS, even in Bridgeport, Beverly, Mo-Po, Mt. G-wood, EP, etc.

Same up North.

We are now in a transient society, territorial rights mean nothing anymore.

I for one, prefer that people be creative individuals and do the RIGHT thing, and that is stick by your team, win or lose, champs or chumps. It's the only barometer of a TRUE fan.

Wsoxmike59
07-25-2007, 06:17 PM

I remember when somebody reported on that during the Championship Run and some one here at WSI said that "Shooter" must've made those shirts up! :D:

I LMAO when I read that, because I remember how much Shooter used to "bust Joe Crede's balls" about his offensive output and wouldn't give him credit on HR's and RBI's in games the Sox had already had a safe lead.

MDF3530
07-25-2007, 06:20 PM
I haven't seen that place, but there was a little stand that you'd see by the park right next to Bleeker's on 95th. I don't remember the stuff but some of it actually seemed legit.Those trailers (and the ones that popped up all over when the Bears went to the Super Bowl) were legit. I bought a pennant and a World Series champion bumper sticker.

miker
07-25-2007, 08:22 PM
In fact, my nine-year-old nephew gets a kick out of reminding me that "the Sox suck."

"It breaks my heart, a boy that young goin' bad."

RadioheadRocks
07-28-2007, 04:39 AM

I remember when somebody reported on that during the Championship Run and some one here at WSI said that "Shooter" must've made those shirts up! :D:

I LMAO when I read that, because I remember how much Shooter used to "bust Joe Crede's balls" about his offensive output and wouldn't give him credit on HR's and RBI's in games the Sox had already had a safe lead.

IIRC the guys hawking the "unofficial" t-shirts on the streets outside the park were selling the Division Champion shirts with Joe Crede ON there (and they made a point in mentioning how his name appeared on THEIR shirts!).

rocky biddle
07-28-2007, 09:43 AM

I live at 105th and Western. The Cub fans are coming out of the woodwork this season. It's like a time warp back to early 2004 when the Cubs were a lock to win the whole thing and the Sox didn't exist. Kinda sad actually. But anyway, if the Cubs make it to the playoffs I'd bet anything that store starts selling Cub merch. They'd be stupid not to.