PDA

View Full Version : The Josh Fields situation

seventyseven
07-24-2007, 09:27 AM
What to do with Josh Fields next year? He's shown he can hit at the major league level, and should be playing everyday. Crede's trade value is lowered by his surgery and FA status after 2008. Assuming Crede comes back healthy and the Sox get a decent deal in arbitration, I can't see the Sox not playing Crede at 3B to start the year.

Fields doesn't look like much of a LF to me (and KW doesn't think so either), but how about 2B? Hank Blalock and Jeff Kent made the switch to from 3B to 2B in recent years. Thoughts?

oeo
07-24-2007, 09:30 AM
What to do with Josh Fields next year? He's shown he can hit at the major league level, and should be playing everyday. Crede's trade value is shattered by his surgery and FA status after 2008. Assuming Crede comes back healthy and the Sox get a decent deal in arbitration, I can't see the Sox not playing Crede at 3B to start the year.

Fields doesn't look like much of a LF to me (and KW doesn't think so either), but how about 2B? Hank Blalock and Jeff Kent made the switch to from 3B to 2B in recent years. Thoughts?

How does he 'not look like much of a LF' if you've never even seen him play there? :?:

He gone
07-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Assuming Crede comes back healthy and the Sox get a decent deal in arbitration

That's 2 big "IFs"??? Alot of people are never the same after back surgery.

Josh did play some games at Shortstop this season in Charlotte.

seventyseven
07-24-2007, 09:34 AM
How does he 'not look like much of a LF' if you've never even seen him play there? :?:

I should clarify. I'm thinking that if the Sox thought Fields would be any good as a LF, they would have played him there either in spring training or in AAA this year. But they didn't. So I assume they see him as Crede's long-term replacement at 3B...my question is what to do with him next year?

lostfan
07-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Assuming Iguchi doesn't come back, as long as he doesn't suck at 2B I'm fine with that. He'll get better defensively, but there's other responsibilities he would have to learn at 2B, there's a pretty big difference.

SoxxoS
07-24-2007, 09:39 AM
I think you have to put him in LF and try to resign Crede

Crede can be signed for a lot less than he would command if he wasn't coming off surgery, obviously.

CLee turned out to be a pretty decent LF - and Fields is most athletic with a better arm, so one would think he could turn out to be a very solid LFer

oeo
07-24-2007, 09:40 AM
I should clarify. I'm thinking that if the Sox thought Fields would be any good as a LF, they would have played him there either in spring training or in AAA this year. But they didn't. So I assume they see him as Crede's long-term replacement at 3B...my question is what to do with him next year?

I don't think they want to move him, period. And 2B would not utilize his best asset on defense: his arm. We'll see what they want to do, but like you said they would have moved him by now if they wanted to...I don't think he's going anywhere.