PDA

View Full Version : Brewers

kittle42
07-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Boy, are they looking crappy the last few games. This former Twin Grant Balfour? He belongs next to Dewon Day in the Sox pen.

chisoxmike
07-23-2007, 10:32 PM
They are not very good. On the road, they are a completely different team, which is why, they will lose the division. Once they fall out of first place, the Cubs will stay there. :(:

:anon:

oeo
07-23-2007, 11:08 PM
They are not very good. On the road, they are a completely different team, which is why, they will lose the division. Once they fall out of first place, the Cubs will stay there. :(:

I disagree that they're not very good. The problem is, they're still young. Not to mention Bill Hall going down, and now Sheets.

They've got a heck of a club in the upcoming years. And I still don't think the Flubs are a very good team until they fill their holes (CF, a middle infielder, a reliever, and a veteran starter). It'll be 'tallest midget' contest.

TDog
07-23-2007, 11:40 PM
I disagree that they're not very good. The problem is, they're still young. Not to mention Bill Hall going down, and now Sheets.

They've got a heck of a club in the upcoming years. And I still don't think the Flubs are a very good team until they fill their holes (CF, a middle infielder, a reliever, and a veteran starter). It'll be 'tallest midget' contest.

As Sox fans, many of us are predisposed to believe that the Cubs aren't very good. And it's true they don't have a center fielder. They don't have a great bullpen. The starting rotation is thin. The Cubs are on a hot streak now, and may be able to ride it to get in the postseason. The Brewers have a better bullpen and a better rotation. They have good young hitters, and young hitters can be inconsistent. It could be an interesting race. Wins for both teams might be difficult enough to come by in September that St. Louis and/or Houston could appear to make a run for the division.

It could be an interesting race. The Padres/Dodgers and Mets/Braves are much better than the Brewers/Cubs. Overall the National League isn't far (if at all) behind the American League. I expected more from St. Louis this season, but things have fallen apart for that team. I don't expect that NL Central winner to have any better than the third or fourth best record in the league.

chisoxmike
07-23-2007, 11:43 PM
It'll be 'tallest midget' contest.

You got that right.

JB98
07-23-2007, 11:50 PM

I don't agree. I think the Brewers are the superior club. The question is whether they can hang on the next month or so until Sheets gets back.

If the Brewers are still in front on Sept. 1, the Cubs won't catch them.

DBTH on the Cubs. That club is only five games over .500, despite an extended hot streak.

It's Time
07-24-2007, 12:33 AM
The Brewers can't win on the road and that is going to cost them come September. The Cubs have an easier road for sure. The crew needs to get it together or they may find themselves in 3rd place by seasons end. No excuse to lose that game tonight, none!!:angry:

WhiteSox5187
07-24-2007, 12:57 AM
I think, hope is the better word, that the Cubs come back down to earth. Other wise...eee...Look, if either the Cubs or the Brewers were in any other division in baseball they'd be about 12 games out. The winner of the NL Central is the tallest midget, but in October, anything can happen...as we saw last year and 2005.

oeo
07-24-2007, 10:42 AM
I don't agree. I think the Brewers are the superior club. The question is whether they can hang on the next month or so until Sheets gets back.

If the Brewers are still in front on Sept. 1, the Cubs won't catch them.

DBTH on the Cubs. That club is only five games over .500, despite an extended hot streak.

And once they played a pretty good team in Arizona, they lost. They were getting gift runs like crazy from those bad teams like the Giants and Astros. As long as they have Hill and Marshall in their rotation, I just don't see it. I would not want to depend on those two guys down the stretch (not to mention Theriot, Fontenot, the bullpen, and the hole in center).

The Immigrant
07-24-2007, 10:56 AM
The Brewers need help at the deadline, both in the starting rotation and another veteran bat for the lineup. Otherwise I'm afraid they're toast.

Memo to the Brewers GM: cheap, timid and stupid is no way to win the division, even if it is the NL Central.

TDog
07-24-2007, 11:45 AM
I think, hope is the better word, that the Cubs come back down to earth. Other wise...eee...Look, if either the Cubs or the Brewers were in any other division in baseball they'd be about 12 games out. The winner of the NL Central is the tallest midget, but in October, anything can happen...as we saw last year and 2005.

By "as we saw ... in 2005" are you referring to the White Sox leading the American League in wins by four games and easily make it to the World Series, or are you referring to St. Louis losing a tough division series to a division rival/wild card team, which ended up winless against the best team in the AL in World Series?

Fenway
07-24-2007, 11:53 AM
I can't see the Brewers holding on right now. They are a terrible road team.

downstairs
07-24-2007, 12:27 PM
I can't see the Brewers holding on right now. They are a terrible road team.

The Cubs are very, very flawed too. Its going to be one of those "who wants to lose it" races. Not very exciting. Like some of our division clinchers in the past 10-20 years.

That being said, the Cubs on paper are a better team. If I were a betting man, I'd take them.

kittle42
07-24-2007, 12:48 PM
The Brewers need help at the deadline, both in the starting rotation and another veteran bat for the lineup. Otherwise I'm afraid they're toast.

Memo to the Brewers GM: cheap, timid and stupid is no way to win the division, even if it is the NL Central.

They definitely need a starting pitcher. Dave Bush is trash.

They need a bat to replace Bill Hall, too.

Foulke You
07-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Overall the National League isn't far (if at all) behind the American League.
This is supposed to be teal right? Take a look at the lineups we've faced the last 10 games. Find me one lineup in the NL that can matchup with the kind've thunder in Cleveland, Boston, and Detroit. Heck, even without Ortiz in the batting order, Boston still has a better lineup than any NL team. The pitching on all 3 of those clubs outshine any NL club's staff as well.

The "contending" D'backs team that just took 2 of 3 from the Cubs had Eric Byrnes and Conor Jackson batting 3 and 4! The Giants had Ray Durham batting cleanup. You just don't find easy lineups like that in the AL.

Foulke You
07-24-2007, 01:07 PM
This former Twin Grant Balfour? He belongs next to Dewon Day in the Sox pen.
If I remember correctly, Twins fans referred to him as Grant "Ball-four" :cool:

kittle42
07-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Nice series against the mighty Reds.

This division will be ruled by a certain second-place team very soon.

It's Time
07-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Nice series against the mighty Reds.

This division will be ruled by a certain second-place team very soon.

I have said for weeks that the Brewers wont hang on because they are a pitiful road team. Division winning teams have to win on the road. Losing 3 of 4 to Cincy really is pathetic. They have managed to let the Cubs tie them in the loss column.

They will finish 3rd.

chaerulez
07-26-2007, 03:20 PM

Why would the Cubs need a middle infielder or starter at this point? The Theriot, Fontonenot, and DeRosa combination seems to be working. No starter has a ERA over 4. They do need another reliever, and a CF that is not Jacque Jones would be nice and a right handed power bat to solve their problems against LH pitching would be nice too. Too bad the trade market isn't that great for them. They can probably get a reliever, but not a lot of bats out there. I would at least try to make a run at Dye, he doesn't solve the CF problem but he's a better option than Cliff Floyd who keeps getting nagging injuries.

AJ Hellraiser
07-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Yeah, the Cubs are going to run away with that division...

I hope everyone enjoyed the 18 month ride as the top team in the city of Chicago, but it's about to come to an end and we may NEVER get that back

Thanks KW, Ozzie, Jerry and everyone else wearing a Sox uniform!

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

thomas35forever
07-26-2007, 03:43 PM

I hope everyone enjoyed the 18 month ride as the top team in the city of Chicago, but it's about to come to an end and we may NEVER get that back

You sure you're not overreacting a bit?

Solution: Sox trade Jermaine to the Brew Crew, who hits a walkoff shot against the Cubs in a one-game playoff and is instantly acclaimed the greatest Brewers hero since Robin Yount.

Chicken Dinner
07-26-2007, 04:22 PM

The Cubs could ruin a 1 car funeral!! This thing is far from wrapped up!

kittle42
07-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Do you think the Brewers could beat my 16" softball team if the Brewers were designated the road team?

palehozenychicty
07-29-2007, 04:45 PM
The Cubs could ruin a 1 car funeral!! This thing is far from wrapped up!

Seriously. That's a good line. Anyhow, the Brewers have looked average at best since that three-week hot start. They're really running on fumes, along with the Indjuns.

Tragg
07-29-2007, 05:09 PM
For that reason, I've rooted for the Cards all year...they're the only team you can trust in that division (Astros too, but they don't have it this year).
The Brewers are okay, but nothing special really; and the Cubs are going through ridiculous hot streak and still don't have the lead.
The Brewers will probably win it.

October26
07-29-2007, 05:20 PM
For that reason, I've rooted for the Cards all year...they're the only team you can trust in that division (Astros too, but they don't have it this year).
The Brewers are okay, but nothing special really; and the Cubs are going through ridiculous hot streak and still don't have the lead.
The Brewers will probably win it.

I hope you are correct about the Brewers, but after the Cards took 3/4 this weekend, I don't know. Do you seriously think the Cardinals have the pitching to overtake the Cubs this year? I see everything going so well for the Cubs (:angry: even other teams players getting injured helps their chances). The Cubs prospects are great and their pitching is solid. It is unreal to me, because on paper, this team doesn't appear to be that good, but guess what: today is July 29th and the Cubs are 1/2 game back of first place and the Cards are 6 games back.
The Brewers don't seem to have the bullpen needed to get to October. I'm wondering if they will even get the wild card. Here's hoping some National League team gets hot in Aug and Sept and knocks off the Cubs. The Cubs have such an easy schedule of games remaining. We'll see what happens ...

chisoxfanatic
07-29-2007, 05:21 PM

Ummm, relax just a little. Unless they win the World Series, we still hold the ultimate trump card over them. I'm still hoping the Cardinals can come back, though.

PKalltheway
07-29-2007, 05:24 PM
I'm still hoping the Cardinals can come back, though.
That division may be bad, but I don't think the Cards are gonna come anywhere near first place this year, especially if the Cubs continue their hot streak. Their pitching has been nothing short of a disaster.

getonbckthr
07-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Cubs will win that division by at least 6 games.

It's Time
07-29-2007, 05:40 PM
The Brewers are toast, it would appear. They managed to blow 6-0 and 5-0 leads on consecutive days to a bad Cardinals team. They also dropped the last 3 games of the Cards series, lost a double header yesterday and went 2-6 on their road trip against lousy teams.

The wheels have come off. They now have more losses then the Cubs.:o:

Viva Medias B's
07-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Ummm, relax just a little. Unless they win the World Series, we still hold the ultimate trump card over them.

You know that, and I know that. However, the media won't know that. Once the Cubs get into first place (which I believe will happen sooner or later), the local media will go more ga-ga at this stage of the season than they did when we had our 2005 run at the same time that year. In fact, the local media really didn't to full tilt hog wild over us until the latter days of the ALCS, if not even later. With this Cub team, I will expect the media to show their true colors and hit that same full tilt once the Cubs surpass the Brewers. Is some media quarters, some people (i.e., Zach Zaidman) are already acting like this Cub squad is the greatest team in the history of sports. The Cubs winning isn't entirely bothersome in an of itself. What really are the galling aspects of that are the byproducts produced by the Cubs winning. I am not saying that we should be flubsessed and concentrate our hopes on their falling short, but success on their part cannot be good for our franchise.

kittle42
07-29-2007, 05:44 PM
Cubs will win that division by at least 6 games.

I have to agree. They are better than the Brewers and Cardinals.

October26
07-29-2007, 06:02 PM
You know that, and I know that. However, the media won't know that. Once the Cubs get into first place (which I believe will happen sooner or later), the local media will go more ga-ga at this stage of the season than they did when we had our 2005 run at the same time that year. In fact, the local media really didn't to full tilt hog wild over us until the latter days of the ALCS, if not even later. With this Cub team, I will expect the media to show their true colors and hit that same full tilt once the Cubs surpass the Brewers. Is some media quarters, some people (i.e., Zach Zaidman) are already acting like this Cub squad is the greatest team in the history of sports. The Cubs winning isn't entirely bothersome in an of itself. What really are the galling aspects of that are the byproducts produced by the Cubs winning. I am not saying that we should be flubsessed and concentrate our hopes on their falling short, but success on their part cannot be good for our franchise.

Viva: Great post. I think you hit the nail right on the head. And I believe you have also invented a new word: "flubsessed". Thanks for eloquently expressing what I 've thinking these last few weeks, epsecially since June 24th when the Cubs swept us at the Cell. It's gonna take me awhile to get over that.

Viva Medias B's
07-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Viva: Great post. I think you hit the nail right on the head. And I believe you have also invented a new word: "flubsessed". Thanks for eloquently expressing what I 've thinking these last few weeks, epsecially since June 24th when the Cubs swept us at the Cell. It's gonna take me awhile to get over that.

Actually, "flubsessed" is a longtime WSI term to describe a White Sox fan more interested in the misfortunes of the Cubs than the fortunes of their own White Sox team. I am not saying what the Cubs do should be ignored, but we should be most concerned this week with how we do in New York and Detroit as well as who may be moved as we approach the trading deadline.

October26
07-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Actually, "flubsessed" is a longtime WSI term to describe a White Sox fan more interested in the misfortunes of the Cubs than the fortunes of their own White Sox team. I am not saying what the Cubs do should be ignored, but we should be most concerned this week with how we do in New York and Detroit as well as who may be moved as we approach the trading deadline.

Really? Well, I've been visiting WhiteSox message boards since 2000 (old whitesox.com before it became owned by mlb) and WSI since its inception and had not seen the word used before. I only secured a login id in 2006 because I couldn't decide who my favorite player was. Then when the Sox won the WS on October26 (already a special day for me), I finally figured out my sig.

And yes, my focus is always on my family first and then how the White Sox perform (including trades). I'll be watching and listening this week for all news White Sox. Gotta sign off now - it's dinner time.... And sorry for deviating from the Brewers discussion.

South Side Irish
07-29-2007, 06:27 PM
That division may be bad, but I don't think the Cards are gonna come anywhere near first place this year, especially if the Cubs continue their hot streak. Their pitching has been nothing short of a disaster.

I thought the same thing, too, but the Cards keeping hanging around. They're up to 3 games below .500, which I think is the highest they've been since April/May. I don't know how to explain it with that pitching staff, but I think I have an idea. His name is Albert Pujols, and he has everything to do with the contagious engery, work ethic, and faith in team that the Carda have had the last year or so. He's leading teams of crap and AA/AAA talent to success with that attitude.

Red Barchetta
07-29-2007, 06:28 PM
You got that right.

That's true, however the NL Central have produced the last three NL World Series Teams; Cardinals-Astros-Cardinals. That's why Cub fans should be excited. October is what matters, just get there.

South Side Irish
07-29-2007, 06:32 PM
And don't sweat the Cubs winning. So many Sox fans are obsessed, and I think this thread is only a front to whine about the Cubs coming up to 1st place. Remember 2 months ago? They were a lock for the cellar. Today? A lock for an October parade. The point? They'll finish somewhere in the middle, and people should stop overreacting to whatever the emotion of the m oment is. It's just silly, honestly. The Cubs have gotten good, are managed well, and are playing real good and with some luck.

Ignore it if it bothers you, and just close your eyes and remember what a great time 2005 was. If the Cubs win, that doesn't change. In fact, be happy that old men and women will get to finally see their team win like our grandparents and some of us did back then. Don't lose yourself in hoping for them to lose. Enjoy our team's beautiful trophy and its memories instead! :gulp:

getonbckthr
07-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Really? Well, I've been visiting WhiteSox message boards since 2000 (old whitesox.com before it became owned by mlb) and WSI since its inception and had not seen the word used before. I only secured a login id in 2006 because I couldn't decide who my favorite player was. Then when the Sox won the WS on October26 (already a special day for me), I finally figured out my sig.

And yes, my focus is always on my family first and then how the White Sox perform (including trades). I'll be watching and listening this week for all news White Sox. Gotta sign off now - it's dinner time.... And sorry for deviating from the Brewers discussion.
Search the word flubcessed.

Tragg
07-29-2007, 06:38 PM
I hope you are correct about the Brewers, but after the Cards took 3/4 this weekend, I don't know. Do you seriously think the Cardinals have the pitching to overtake the Cubs this year? ..

Well, I was rooting for the Brewers this weekend; but the cards are kind of the back-up card. The brewers are flawed and they've never been there. And no, I don't think the Cards really have much of a chance. I guess my point was that while the Cards are likely not good enough, they also wont' choke. The Brewers may choke.

That division is so lousy that that division could also provide the wildcard.

kittle42
07-29-2007, 07:15 PM
So many Sox fans are obsessed, and I think this thread is only a front to whine about the Cubs coming up to 1st place.

This thread was started by me to talk about the Brewers sucking and the NL central generally. Unfortunately around here, one cannot bring up the NL central without being accused of whining about the Cubs.

Viva Medias B's
07-29-2007, 07:17 PM
This thread was started by me to talk about the Brewers sucking and the NL central generally. Unfortunately around here, one cannot bring up the NL central without being accused of whining about the Cubs.

I don't disagree with you, but considering that the Cubs are the one team pursuing the Crew they are a part of the story.

Frater Perdurabo
07-29-2007, 07:23 PM

The entire NL sucks. How much more damning is it that the Sox went 4-14 against the NL this year?

I'm rooting for the Brewers, but I'd also be pleased with the Cards, Astros or Pirates winning that division.

Lip Man 1
07-29-2007, 07:42 PM
I'm beginning to think the Brewers bull pen is worse then the Sox...

and Viva I wouldn't be concerned about the ramifications of the Cubs getting into first place...any good will the Sox were still enjoying from the 2005 title went out the window when they fell apart in June...

Finally for spending 300 million this off season the Cubs SHOULD be winning in the weakest division in baseball, don't you think?

Lip

Grzegorz
07-29-2007, 08:31 PM

Lip

It's not; they're still in the race. The White Sox pen reached heights of ineptitude that I've not seen in my lifetime.

Grzegorz
07-29-2007, 08:36 PM

Lip

It's not; I've yet to see the parade of walks, hits, and HBPs given up by the Brew Crew pen that I did with the White Sox.

The White Sox pen reached heights of ineptitude that I've not seen in my lifetime.

soxwon
07-29-2007, 08:53 PM
Remember when we laughed when Zambrano said he would win the Cy Young?
and he had a slow start as did the cubs.
I hate it when he might be right!!

kittle42
07-29-2007, 09:37 PM
Remember when we laughed when Zambrano said he would win the Cy Young?
and he had a slow start as did the cubs.
I hate it when he might be right!!

See, now *this* is why no one can actually talk NL central baseball here. It's always gotta come back to specific Cub-related junk.

Juice16
07-29-2007, 09:43 PM
See, now *this* is why no one can actually talk NL central baseball here. It's always gotta come back to specific Cub-related junk.

Doesn't this relate to the NL Central? I have been thinking the exact same thing about Zambrano.

JB98
07-29-2007, 10:50 PM
I just can't see the Cardinals mounting a serious charge with that horrible rotation: Kip Wells, Braden Looper, Brad Thompson, etc. Once you get past Wainwright, it's pretty bad. They could get a boost if Mulder comes back, but it's anyone's guess how effective he'll be.

The Brewers need to somehow stay in it until they get Sheets back. Their bullpen is brutal though. They've been blowing leads left and right this last week. Check the home and road splits for Cordero. They're alarming.

chisoxfanatic
07-29-2007, 10:53 PM
I've got tickets to next Sunday's Brewers/Phillies game at Miller Park. It'll be tough rooting against Aaron Rowand's team; but, I'll have to! I'm gonna try to get some World Series stuff autographed by him if I can though!

Let's hope Rowand and co. can do damage THIS week, though!!!

kittle42
07-29-2007, 11:10 PM
I just can't see the Cardinals mounting a serious charge with that horrible rotation: Kip Wells, Braden Looper, Brad Thompson, etc. Once you get past Wainwright, it's pretty bad. They could get a boost if Mulder comes back, but it's anyone's guess how effective he'll be.

The other guy is Maroth. They suck.

TheOldRoman
07-29-2007, 11:11 PM
and Viva I wouldn't be concerned about the ramifications of the Cubs getting into first place...any good will the Sox were still enjoying from the 2005 title went out the window when they fell apart in June...
I don't think that is the case. Even though the Sox are horrible now, and the Cubs are "World Series bound!!! pg.78", I still see a lot more Sox gear on the streets than ever before 05. That team won a championship. All the goodwill they got from the media (ie, almost none) is out the window, but that doesn't mean a lot. Even after the bandwagoners renounced wearing black and re-inserted themselves onto the Cubs' bandwagon, we still have many more Sox fans than this time two years ago. If the Sox win, they will draw, and they will sell. The Cubs finishing in second or making the playoffs and going 3 and out won't change that.

JB98
07-29-2007, 11:18 PM
I don't think that is the case. Even though the Sox are horrible now, and the Cubs are "World Series bound!!! pg.78", I still see a lot more Sox gear on the streets than ever before 05. That team won a championship. All the goodwill they got from the media (ie, almost none) is out the window, but that doesn't mean a lot. Even after the bandwagoners renounced wearing black and re-inserted themselves onto the Cubs' bandwagon, we still have many more Sox fans than this time two years ago. If the Sox win, they will draw, and they will sell. The Cubs finishing in second or making the playoffs and going 3 and out won't change that.

I'm supremely confident in the eventual failure of the Cubs. But I think all of us who live in the Chicago area should ignore the news and cancel newspaper subscriptions for the next two and a half months.

The media are all holding hands and singing "Go Cubs Go" already, and it's only late July.

Railsplitter
07-30-2007, 08:02 AM
for spending 300 million this off season the Cubs SHOULD be winning in the weakest division in baseball, don't you think?

Lip

Still, if the Cubs and Yankers miss the post season, it should squelch the notion that spending big bucks automatically brings succes.

balke
07-30-2007, 08:26 AM
Yeah, the Brewers have Parra called up, Gallardo looks great, and they traded for Linebrink. When Sheets comes back (Although it could take a while) the Brewers are going to be tough to deal with. Definitely not a team I'd want to see come playoff time.

Cubs look strong now, but they aren't running away with anything anytime soon. From what I saw yesterday though, The Brewers need to find a replacement for Rickie Weeks. His defense is horrible. They should've made a bid for Iguchi.

Law11
07-30-2007, 08:49 AM
The Brewers window to win is so much smaller than a team like the Cubs or STL. The Brewers have so much young talent and given time could be a consistent top line team in the NL but given their apathy to pay guys because of their market they will lose this round of young guys to some extent in just a few scant years. They have to win now..

They have a nice homestand coming up and play well at home so maybe some home cooking will right the ship.

I'm pulling for em thats for sure.

soxwon
07-31-2007, 05:22 PM
The other guy is Maroth. They suck.

ok just assume the cubs win the division. Now honestly what are the odds of them making the Series?
Do they really have a chance? Isnt atlanta, sd, LA all better clubs, or the mets?

soltrain21
07-31-2007, 05:42 PM
ok just assume the cubs win the division. Now honestly what are the odds of them making the Series?
Do they really have a chance? Isnt atlanta, sd, LA all better clubs, or the mets?

All you gotta do is make the playoffs and be hot at the right time.

soxinem1
07-31-2007, 06:24 PM
Yeah, the Brewers have Parra called up, Gallardo looks great, and they traded for Linebrink. When Sheets comes back (Although it could take a while) the Brewers are going to be tough to deal with. Definitely not a team I'd want to see come playoff time.

Cubs look strong now, but they aren't running away with anything anytime soon. From what I saw yesterday though, The Brewers need to find a replacement for Rickie Weeks. His defense is horrible. They should've made a bid for Iguchi.

Cintron is still available.

Plus, I will be going up to MIL on 7/16 to root for them Brewers as a Sox fan. not just to spite the cubz, but because I would like to see them win it. I am tired of STL, NYY, NYM, LAA, etc.

I would not mind seeing our neighbors and former rivals to the north win a World Championship, as long as we are not their opponent. Since that is not happening, I'll root for the next best thing.

ComiskeyBrewer
08-01-2007, 02:45 AM

Brewers sent Rickie Weeks to AAA last night.

RockJock07
08-02-2007, 01:20 AM
The cards are just bad, this is a two team race. The Brewers couldn't hold a lead tonight, they just seem shaky in their rotation. Braun is a stud though

TomBradley72
08-04-2007, 10:36 PM
I was at the game tonight. Braun hit a BOMB in the 1st inning. Fielder hits a two run HR with 2 strikes and 2 outs in the bottom of the 8th to give the Brewers a 6-5 lead...top of the 9th...Hart robs Iguchi of game tieing HR with a leaping grab over the wall. 40,000+ fans go insane. Hopefully this will give the Brewers some momentum to pull away from the Cubs.

soxwon
08-04-2007, 11:15 PM
I was at the game tonight. Braun hit a BOMB in the 1st inning. Fielder hits a two run HR with 2 strikes and 2 outs in the bottom of the 8th to give the Brewers a 6-5 lead...top of the 9th...Hart robs Iguchi of game tieing HR with a leaping grab over the wall. 40,000+ fans go insane. Hopefully this will give the Brewers some momentum to pull away from the Cubs.

they been playing better-true.
But in the long run, if the cubs dont win the division atleast, while dishing out all the $.
They will be laughed at as fools.

TomBradley72
08-05-2007, 11:59 AM
they been playing better-true.
But in the long run, if the cubs dont win the division atleast, while dishing out all the $.
They will be laughed at as fools.

True. It's interesting reading Couch's column this morning in the Sun Times...pretty much writing off the Brewers as choking/fading. The team I saw last night fought back hard...with timely hitting, tough infield defense and good bullpen work. This team has alot of heart...and they won't have to deal with overwhelming weight of attention that the Cubbies will have to deal with.

illini81887
08-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Brewers blow 6-1 lead in 9th, onto extras

JB98
08-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Brewers end up losing 8-6 in 11 innings. The Cubs are a .500 team over the past two weeks, and they have still continued to gain ground.

Not good times in Milwaukee. Games like today's are ones that have to go in the win column.

MeteorsSox4367
08-05-2007, 11:08 PM
I was at the Brewers game today. To see them cough up a 6-1 lead in the ninth was just sickening. I like the Brewers for one and the thought of them giving the division to the Cubs...

Wise was awful and Cordero couldn't get the last outs. Braun is big-time and they do have a nice young nucleus, but if the Brewers end up losing out on the division, Sunday's game could be the one that ultimately ends up biting them.

chisoxmike
08-05-2007, 11:09 PM
What a ****ing joke they are. One out away. Jesus Christ.

esbrechtel
08-06-2007, 12:38 AM
I hate how all the "experts" said they (the Brewers) were going to fade and they have...when they said that about the Tigers and Twins last year it never happened :angry:

thomas35forever
08-06-2007, 12:39 AM
Don't look now, but WSI God Aaron Rowand robbed a home run in the eleventh to prevent the Phillies' lead from being cut in half.

balke
08-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Its just one game. The Cubs just lost Soriano and September is just around the corner. The Brewers will make it to the playoffs.

JB98
08-06-2007, 04:28 PM
I was at the Brewers game today. To see them cough up a 6-1 lead in the ninth was just sickening. I like the Brewers for one and the thought of them giving the division to the Cubs...

Wise was awful and Cordero couldn't get the last outs. Braun is big-time and they do have a nice young nucleus, but if the Brewers end up losing out on the division, Sunday's game could be the one that ultimately ends up biting them.

Braun is big-time as a hitter, but what about that glove? I thought he should have had Rowand's ball in the ninth.....

FedEx227
08-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Braun is big-time as a hitter, but what about that glove? I thought he should have had Rowand's ball in the ninth.....

That's probably the first play in 3 weeks that he didn't get. He's been on fire with the glove lately. But I agree, he should have had that one.

Foulke You
08-06-2007, 04:54 PM
True. It's interesting reading Couch's column this morning in the Sun Times...pretty much writing off the Brewers as choking/fading. The team I saw last night fought back hard...with timely hitting, tough infield defense and good bullpen work. This team has alot of heart...and they won't have to deal with overwhelming weight of attention that the Cubbies will have to deal with.
Couch is turning into Mariotti jr. with his nonsense articles. In between his articles dancing on the White Sox grave, the one he wrote about the Brewers on Sunday was just ridiculous. He basically writes off the Brewers as being unable to withstand the pressure the Cubs are putting on them. Gee wiz Couch, was that the Cubs who just lost 2 of 3 at home and the Brewers took 2 of 3 from a good Phillies team to reclaim the sole posession of 1st place. Such a shame, Couchy. The fact that the Brewers cracked in the 9th on Sunday missing a sweep doesn't change the fact that they are still in 1st place and won a series from a tough Phillies team.

I do admit though, when you are up 6-1 in the 9th like the Brewers were, you have to shut the door there. If the Brewers end up missing the playoffs by 1 game, they are going to think about this one that got away from them. They should be 2 games up on the Cubs right now.

itsnotrequired
08-07-2007, 03:44 PM
What a ****ing joke they are. One out away. Jesus Christ.

Bring back The Triple.

GDmo8R8WbnM

SBSoxFan
08-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Bring back The Triple.

GDmo8R8WbnM

Wow, was that really a young Prince? I heard they haven't spoken in years.

itsnotrequired
08-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Wow, was that really a young Prince? I heard they haven't spoken in years.

Beats me if they aren't speaking now. At least they got to spend that magical day together moving hamburgers.

chisoxfanatic
08-08-2007, 09:10 AM
I was at the Brewer meltdown on Sunday afternoon, and something funny happened during the sausage race. They were having a "relay" that time, where adult sausages went 3/4 of the way and then handed it off to child sausages to complete the last 1/4. Well, the white sausage had a pretty healthy lead at the time to "hand it off" to the child white sausage, and he knocked the baby white sausage over, causing the white sausage "team" to come in 5th place instead of 1st. Ry and I couldn't stop laughing about that for a long time.

The Brewers oughtta thank the Astros for helping them out here. They're tanking worse than any other team in that race right now!

rocky biddle
08-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Couch is turning into Mariotti jr. with his nonsense articles. In between his articles dancing on the White Sox grave, the one he wrote about the Brewers on Sunday was just ridiculous. He basically writes off the Brewers as being unable to withstand the pressure the Cubs are putting on them. Gee wiz Couch, was that the Cubs who just lost 2 of 3 at home and the Brewers took 2 of 3 from a good Phillies team to reclaim the sole posession of 1st place. Such a shame, Couchy. The fact that the Brewers cracked in the 9th on Sunday missing a sweep doesn't change the fact that they are still in 1st place and won a series from a tough Phillies team.

I do admit though, when you are up 6-1 in the 9th like the Brewers were, you have to shut the door there. If the Brewers end up missing the playoffs by 1 game, they are going to think about this one that got away from them. They should be 2 games up on the Cubs right now.

Couch has been Windsock Jr for a while now. He's a shameless Cub fan and a sorry excuse for a journalist. He fits right in with the rest of the pathetic Chicago media jerkoffs.

kittle42
08-08-2007, 09:57 AM
The Brewers' "collapse" is (1) nothing of the sort, because (2) it is based not on "pressure" or anything else, but on the fact that they are basically a young team with a crappy pitching staff and a suddenly completely unreliable closer.

But if it makes Greg Couch happier to think "pressure" from the other sub-par NL Central teams is getting to the Brewers, whatever.

HotelWhiteSox
08-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Getting embarrassed again, already down 9-0

EDIT: 11-0 after the inning ended

Chez
08-08-2007, 03:33 PM
They should declare the first team in the N.L. Central to win 10 more games from here on out the Division Champion and cancel the rest of their seasons. This is just brutal.

Foulke You
08-08-2007, 05:16 PM
19-4?? C'mon Brewers! What the hell was that?! At this rate, the "tallest midget" divison is going to need only 83 wins to clinch.:o:

The Racehorse
08-08-2007, 05:20 PM
19-4?? C'mon Brewers! What the hell was that?! At this rate, the "tallest midget" divison is going to need only 83 wins to clinch.:o:

That whole Brewer pitching staff has a severe case of the stink.

chisoxfanatic
08-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Give Colorado some credit here. They're playing with some balls lately. Now, the Brewers get the Astros for four, while the Cubs have to run in the buzzsaw that are the Rockies. This is all going to even itself out now.

palehozenychicty
08-08-2007, 08:46 PM
They should declare the first team in the N.L. Central to win 10 more games from here on out the Division Champion and cancel the rest of their seasons. This is just brutal.

Seriously. These are not major league teams in that N.L. Comedy Central.

JB98
08-08-2007, 11:49 PM
Seriously. These are not major league teams in that N.L. Comedy Central.

And, of course, the White Sox went 3-9 against that horse**** division this year. :angry:

RadioheadRocks
08-09-2007, 12:04 AM

Hence why that division is widely regarded as Comedy Central.

The Immigrant
08-09-2007, 01:10 AM
And, of course, the White Sox went 3-9 against that horse**** division this year. :angry:

Thanks for reminding me. I will now go punch myself in the face for a few minutes.

Viva Medias B's
08-09-2007, 07:40 AM
Bring back The Triple.

GDmo8R8WbnM

It looks like we know what Cecil kept feeding Prince.

Meanwhile, I wonder how this better playing White Sox team would do against the NL Central now. I bet it would be better than 3-9.

hi im skot
08-12-2007, 12:16 AM
Ryan Braun for president.

Absolutely clutch tonight in Houston.

CHISOXFAN13
08-12-2007, 12:50 AM
Ryan Braun for president.

Absolutely clutch tonight in Houston.

Let's hope that shot is the one that sends the Brewers on a long winning strreak.

TDog
08-12-2007, 01:12 AM
The Brewers are having a great season by Milwaukee standards. There has been the mix of great wins like tonight and bad losses, and it's amazing that they can be in first place with their record. They should be the sentimental favorites in the division, if not baseball. Some will put that label on the Cubs, despite Cubs management doing their their best to buy a winner.

soxinem1
08-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Let's hope that shot is the one that sends the Brewers on a long winning strreak.

I will be there Thursday as a Sox fan rooting them on.

bigfoot
08-12-2007, 10:55 AM
It looks like we know what Cecil kept feeding Prince.

Meanwhile, I wonder how this better playing White Sox team would do against the NL Central now. I bet it would be better than 3-9.

$1,69 for a Triple!?? That IS an old ad!

Foulke You
08-15-2007, 12:40 AM
The Brewers got carved up like a roast tonight by the Cardinals, 12-4.:o: Perhaps the Cardinals win this sorry division after all?

Also, the sausage race at Miller Park has very much become a real life parallel to the NL Central division race. The Cubs are Bratwurst, the Brewers are Hot Dog, and the Cardinals are Chorizo. Is it fun? Sure. In the long run does it matter? Not in the slightest.

Mohoney
08-15-2007, 01:07 AM
At least Milwaukee doesn't lose many soul-crushing 1 run games. When they lose, they lose big.

As weird as it sounds, I think this might actually work out in their favor. I think it's easier to shake off the 12-4 and 19-4 losses than the 3-2 or 4-3 losses. You can just say to yourself "It just wasn't our day." instead of wondering what might have been.

Foulke You
08-15-2007, 01:12 AM
At least Milwaukee doesn't lose many soul-crushing 1 run games. When they lose, they lose big.

As weird as it sounds, I think this might actually work out in their favor. I think it's easier to shake off the 12-4 and 19-4 losses than the 3-2 or 4-3 losses. You can just say to yourself "It just wasn't our day." instead of wondering what might have been.
That's one way of putting it. Another way of putting it is that their pitching is so inept that they regularly allow teams to score double digit runs on them which teams with good pitching usually don't do very often.

Mohoney
08-15-2007, 01:24 AM
That's one way of putting it. Another way of putting it is that their pitching is so inept that they regularly allow teams to score double digit runs on them which teams with good pitching usually don't do very often.

Very true. Maybe I should explain it a little better. My feeling is that when the Brewers do get a well-pitched game, their bats make it count. They don't waste any of the good pitching efforts that they do get. Plus, you're not running your better relievers in there when the game is that much of a blowout, and that alone gives you a better chance to get a win the next day.

balke
08-15-2007, 08:32 AM
Braun is insane.

It looks like they won't get Sheets back, so a lot of this last stretch could come down to the pitching of Gallardo and Parra. If those guys can pitch to potential, they should make the playoffs with that lineup.

I wouldn't be surprised if he Cards take this division at this point.

Foulke You
08-15-2007, 03:08 PM
It looks like they won't get Sheets back, so a lot of this last stretch could come down to the pitching of Gallardo and Parra. If those guys can pitch to potential, they should make the playoffs with that lineup.
Has the prognosis on Sheets changed? I thought he was supposed to return in September?

chisoxfanatic
08-16-2007, 03:58 PM
What IS wrong with the Brewers at this point? They're getting shelled once again! It's something else that the Cardinals are now going to be only 2.5 games out coming into Wrigley. Hopefully they'll be able to do the same damage there so that the Cubs won't sniff first place.

balke
08-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Has the prognosis on Sheets changed? I thought he was supposed to return in September?

Aug 16 Kelvin Ang, of Brewers.MLB.com, reports Milwaukee Brewers SP Ben Sheets threw a bullpen session Thursday, Aug. 16, before the Brewers' game. He pitched roughly 25 minutes of both fastballs and curveballs in four innings of a simulated game without live batting. Sheets reported after the bullpen session that his finger feels good enough to start pitching again. Sheets is scheduled to throw a simulated game against live batting next week before throwing in a minor league rehab assignment. He is expected to return in early September.

I guess he's due back now. Last time I read Yahoo Sports they said he was far from returning. Early September only really gives him like 3-5 starts anyhow though. They needed him back in August.

chisoxmike
08-16-2007, 07:41 PM
What IS wrong with the Brewers at this point?

The Brewers are not a good baseball team.

JB98
08-16-2007, 07:56 PM
The Brewers are not a good baseball team.

Neither are the Cubs. Neither are the Cardinals. A bad baseball team is guaranteed to make the playoffs.

chisoxmike
08-16-2007, 07:57 PM
Neither are the Cubs. Neither are the Cardinals. A bad baseball team is guaranteed to make the playoffs.

Yeah. Someone is going to back into the playoffs in that division. Hopefully, its not the Cubs.

Viva Medias B's
08-16-2007, 08:10 PM
:harry&jimmy:
"The Cardinals are coming tra-la, tra-la."

WhiteSoxJunkie
08-17-2007, 12:11 PM

Would you consider last year's Cardinals a bad baseball team? They only won 83 games. Someone had to win that division last year, and the team that did ended up winning it all. What I'm saying is, the Central winner this year may have a mediocre record, but the momentum from winning a 3 team race could really propel them to go deep in the playoffs.

HerzogVon
08-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Damn the Milw. Boo'ers!!! They've folded like, like...

...a can of Swiller Slight mooshed aganst the skull of Crusher Liskowski...

...the discarded wrapper from an 8-pack of Usinger's Brats...

...Albert the Alley Cat after Ward Allen ran off with Rosemary Grenetzky...( OK, this probably never happened, but we're in fantasy land here )...

...Dr. Cadaverino's coffin...

....anyone who crosses paths with the Balistreri "Family"...

...a Milwaukee Transit schedule after you stick it in your pocket while waiting for the No. 30 bus.

Used to live on the east side. :whiner:

TDog
08-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Would you consider last year's Cardinals a bad baseball team? They only won 83 games. Someone had to win that division last year, and the team that did ended up winning it all. What I'm saying is, the Central winner this year may have a mediocre record, but the momentum from winning a 3 team race could really propel them to go deep in the playoffs.

The Cardinals didn't have momentum going into the postseason. They coasted in after amassing a big lead, almost losing the division to the Astros and/or Reds with a seven-game losing streak in late September. The Tigers didn't have any momentum going in the the posteason, losing their big lead in the Central to the Twins with a season-ending five-game losing streak -- shades of the 1967 White Sox. Neither team belonged in the World Series, but there they were. The team with the momentum last year wasn't the Cardinals. It was the Twins. Not that it helped them.

The AL Central will send one mediocre team to the post season this year. Better teams will come out of the East and West and should get to the World Series. Better teams should from the NL East and West should get to the postseason this year. Anything can happen in a short series, but a bad team would have to be very lucky to win the World Series.

Grzegorz
08-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Anything can happen in a short series, but a bad team would have to be very lucky to win the World Series.

Jinx...

Tragg
08-18-2007, 02:45 PM
I think the Brewers probably are the best team on paper. But I've thought all along that they'd choke, so I've rooted for the Cardinals - who are the worst team in contention but also a team that will not choke. And hell, if .500 gets the nut, the Astros have a chance. They're only 7.5 back. They don't choke either.

chisoxfanatic
08-18-2007, 05:46 PM
I think the Brewers probably are the best team on paper. But I've thought all along that they'd choke, so I've rooted for the Cardinals - who are the worst team in contention but also a team that will not choke. And hell, if .500 gets the nut, the Astros have a chance. They're only 7.5 back. They don't choke either.
They're certainly not looking good against the Cubs right now. :(:

JB98
08-18-2007, 05:58 PM

The Cardinals never play well against the Cubs. They haven't for the last few years. Put the Cubs up against Cincinnati, and they'll struggle to win a single game. Bring St. Louis to town, and the Cubs roll. It's one of those funny things in baseball.

Tragg
08-18-2007, 06:04 PM

Nauseating, isn't it.

Fanatic, based on your record in the Cell, we need to get you to more games.

What do you have - a 1/4 game package or something? Sounds like a good deal for some summer fun.

JB98
08-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Nauseating, isn't it.

What do you have - a 1/4 game package or something? Sounds like a good deal for some summer fun.

You have to give Fanatic credit for coaxing a .500 record out of a very sorry Blackhawks team last year too. Obviously, there's some good luck taking place.

chisoxfanatic
08-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Nauseating, isn't it.

I'd say I have pretty good fortunes going to any sporting event. Heck, I've finished 8-8 and 12-12 the past two seasons attending BLACKHAWKS games, went 19-10 at Sox games last year, and went 21-17 in 2005, including 3-0 in the playoffs. I have the Hit & Run Weekday 27-game plan, which works wonderfully for a girl who spends about two weekends a month nurturing a long-distance relationship.

Truth be told, the only game I've ever been to Wrigley, the Cubs lost to the Pittsburgh Pirates. Maybe I oughtta go to Wrigley for a game or two. :cool:

Tragg
08-18-2007, 06:25 PM
I'd say I have pretty good fortunes going to any sporting event. Heck, I've finished 8-8 and 12-12 the past two seasons attending BLACKHAWKS games, went 19-10 at Sox games last year, and went 21-17 in 2005, including 3-0 in the playoffs. I have the Hit & Run Weekday 27-game plan, which works wonderfully for a girl who spends about two weekends a month nurturing a long-distance relationship.

Truth be told, the only game I've ever been to Wrigley, the Cubs lost to the Pittsburgh Pirates. Maybe I oughtta go to Wrigley for a game or two. :cool:

Maybe we can all chip in for a ticket package to send you to Cubs games. We'd probably have to pay you a salary too, and then some hazard pay, for that torture.

Years ago, I got so sick of a long distance relationship that I married it.

I've been to 1 hockey game - AAA New Orleans Brass. A friend of mine in college was a huge Blackhawk fan. Sunday night games at Chicago Stadium were a major event. Of course, this was 25 years ago, so I know Chicago Stadium is no more and probably Sunday night games too.

chisoxfanatic
08-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Maybe we can all chip in for a ticket package to send you to Cubs games. We'd probably have to pay you a salary too, and then some hazard pay, for that torture.

Years ago, I got so sick of a long distance relationship that I married it.

I've been to 1 hockey game - AAA New Orleans Brass. A friend of mine in college was a huge Blackhawk fan. Sunday night games at Chicago Stadium were a major event. Of course, this was 25 years ago, so I know Chicago Stadium is no more and probably Sunday night games too.
I'd need the greatest insurance plan possible in case of falling concrete, as well as tumbling drunk fans, too! :cool:

There aren't so many Sunday night games anymore. Once the All Star Break hits, they become matinees. I have a problem leaving a hockey game and it's still 4:30. There is even one home game this year against the Avs that begins at NOON! The only sport I like day games for is football. Hopefully the Hawks are more decent this year!

JB98
08-18-2007, 07:53 PM

Yes, the Cardinals were a bad baseball team last year. They had three eight-game losing streaks. The Tigers should be ashamed of themselves for losing the World Series.

It's Time
08-19-2007, 05:37 PM
The Brewers are done. They had a 5-0 lead today and lost the game 7-6 after Lienbrink gave up two in the 8th inning. They have managed to lose 10 games in the standings to the Cubs in two and a half months.:o:

Bad rotation, bad pen and a TERRIBLE manager in Yost. Put a fork in em.

chisoxmike
08-27-2007, 08:59 PM
I say the Brewers get swept this week, and MLB will take out the Brewers on their "October" ads they are running with Dane Cook.

Tragg
08-27-2007, 10:36 PM
I suggested 6 weeks ago to start rooting for the Cardinals.....the Brewers were completely untrustworthy. Cards arent' good, but they're the only team that won't choke (Astros won't either).
Hell, maybe the Reds...they're hot.

kittle42
08-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Boy, that Linebrink trade is really working out well.

The Immigrant
08-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Ned Yost is a real ****ing idiot to take out Suppan in that situation.

spiffie
08-28-2007, 09:48 PM
The Brewers are absolute toast. The NL Central is officially a 2 team race.

ndgt10
08-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Ned Yost is a real ****ing idiot to take out Suppan in that situation.
Yeah, *** was that about. Suppan was pitching a pretty decent game.

chisoxmike
08-28-2007, 11:33 PM
The Brewers are absolute toast. The NL Central is officially a 2 team race.

Don't forget the Reds!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::r olleyes:

JB98
08-29-2007, 12:58 AM
The Brewers are 41-56 since their 24-10 start.

They are in the same place the Sox were in June. They regularly have the lead after six innings, and they always blow it. It's not a matter of if, just how. Milwaukee is literally giving the division away.

Etownsox13
08-29-2007, 11:56 AM
unreal, Suppan still hasn't won a game since mid-June

FedEx227
08-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Don't forget the Reds!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::r olleyes:

The sad state of the NL Central has the potential for the Reds to actually jump in the race. 8 back and on quite a roll. They won't win the division, but they can make it a 3-4 team race.

Sad I know.

chisoxmike
08-29-2007, 12:48 PM
The sad state of the NL Central has the potential for the Reds to actually jump in the race. 8 back and on quite a roll. They won't win the division, but they can make it a 3-4 team race.

Sad I know.

Yeah really.

I think this year is a mediocre crop of contenders. There's no real dominant team. If any team is, it should be the Red Sox, but even they can be beat.

Any team that gets in this year has just as good a chance to get to the World Series as the other team.

I'm still going with my prediction, Angels over Mets.

chisoxfanatic
08-29-2007, 08:09 PM
unreal, Suppan still hasn't won a game since mid-June
I went to one of Suppan's starts earlier this month...the one where the Brewers were up 6-1 on Milwaukee in the 9th but ended up losing 8-6 in extras. I felt bad for him...He pitched a great game, but Coco Cordero blew it for him.

Myrtle72
08-29-2007, 08:25 PM
I can't imagine any NL Central team making it all the way to the World Series...

So, I don't really care. Even if the Cubs make it to the playoffs, they wouldn't go far.

thomas35forever
08-29-2007, 10:09 PM
And the Brewers are back in second tonight with the win and the Cardinals' loss.

chisoxfanatic
08-29-2007, 10:24 PM
And the Brewers are back in second tonight with the win and the Cardinals' loss.
Yep. What happened tonight nullified what happened last night.

oeo
08-29-2007, 10:25 PM
That was domination by the Brewers tonight. Keep it up. :bandance:

kitekrazy
08-29-2007, 10:36 PM
That was domination by the Brewers tonight. Keep it up. :bandance:

Amazing the amount of Cub fans are more confident in the Cards winning the division than their own team.