PDA

View Full Version : I didn't see the 9th...have Q's

HawkDJ
04-04-2002, 04:55 PM
1. I keep hearing about that Clayton play that could've ended the inning yet he didn't get an error. Was it a tough play? Had he even made the play, would he have gotten the DP? Who has batting, running etc...?

Thanks. If this is true, that would get me mad again after calming down.

FarmerAndy
04-04-2002, 05:02 PM
Honestly, It was a real tough play.

Foulke blew the game, not Royce.

doublem23
04-04-2002, 05:11 PM
Albeit that it was a tough play.. but one that could have been made.

Oh well... On to Kansas City!

PaleHoseGeorge
04-04-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
Honestly, It was a real tough play.

Foulke blew the game, not Royce.

Agreed. All of the hits were solid, even the infield ones. Foulke wasn't fooling anybody. We could have had the entire 25 man roster standing out on the field last night and still lost.

RedPinStripes
04-04-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Agreed. All of the hits were solid, even the infield ones. Foulke wasn't fooling anybody. We could have had the entire 25 man roster standing out on the field last night and still lost.

Maybe Foulke needs anotehr shiner vs. the thugs to catch fire again :?:

:)

Soxboyrob
04-04-2002, 09:08 PM
Hard hit ball up the middle to the left of second base. The second base ump was in Clayton's line of sight to the ball for about the first half of the ball's path of travel. Clayton took about 5 steps to his left and sorta dove/slid for it and he overplayed it and the ball hit the heal of his glove and/or his forearm and bounded away from him. If he gets it cleanly, it's an easy DP. He was only 5-6 feet from second base and the ball was hit sharply. They'd have turned two and ended the game right there. It was a tough play, but Clayton or Valentin probably make that play 2 out of 3 times. Not sure if the Ump really effected the play or not. Seemed like it might have.

cheeses_h_rice
04-04-2002, 09:29 PM
I think the ump did partially block Choice's view, and also Foulke made a lunging grab at it, so it was sort of being obscured by a few sources.

It was a difficult play to make, I think. Clayton did about what he should have done, by keeping it in the infield. I blame Foulke rather than Sox fielding for the entire loss.

CubKilla
04-04-2002, 11:18 PM
Harrelson also mentioned that it appeared that the ball had alot of spin to it and that the ball apparently spun away from Royce once he flopped in front of it. The ump didn't help Clayton out either. I still think it was a makeable play though..... IMHO.