PDA

View Full Version : Eric Byrnes?

Palehose Pete
07-23-2007, 04:45 PM
What about KW signing Eric Byrnes in the OF this off-season? He's a free agent after this season. Seems like he'd be good addition if Dye isn't around after the trade deadline. Looks like he's finally putting it together this season, plus it seems like he'd be a good addition to the clubhouse in terms of his personality.

Just me thinking out loud...

sox1970
07-23-2007, 04:51 PM
I hope not since he's a douche.

seventyseven
07-23-2007, 04:53 PM
I hope not since he's a douche.

he's also another former-athletic who magically started hitting with power after a few years in the organization. pass.

kittle42
07-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Williams, or any GM, would be insane to pass on Byrnes. Plays all 3 OF positions, and can hit productively from the 1-5 spots of the lineup. Good speed, good power.

07-23-2007, 05:02 PM
He was quoted on Fox saying "White Sox fans are the worse fans he has encountered, hands down" so screw him.....guy should just quit and be in broadcasting.

Palehose Pete
07-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Wow, didn't know that he said that about Sox fans. That's a little shocking, too, because he comes off like such a nice guy who tries not offend whenever he's interviewed.

getonbckthr
07-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Isn't he a reincarnation of Aaron Rowand? I'll pass.

07-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Wow, didn't know that he said that about Sox fans. That's a little shocking, too, because he comes off like such a nice guy who tries not offend whenever he's interviewed.

They were giving him a speed round of questions, and he was asked the worst fans (may have been worded differently, but along those lines) he said with no hesitation "White Sox fans, hands down" probably got an earful about his golden locks from the bleachers once!

Palehose Pete
07-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Nice. I'll have to remember that about him.

As for comparisons to Aaron Rowand, yeah, that's probably accurate.

KW keeps saying that he wants to compete next year, not go young. Outside of Andruw Jones, I can't think of any "impact" players for KW to pick up in the OF. So, that leaves us with guys like Rowand and Byrnes, who aren't impact guys but will give you a good AB, play the OF well, and worry pitchers on the base paths. Along the way, they may even make a difference in a win.

That may be the reality that KW is facing as I see things.

Chicken Dinner
07-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Nice. I'll have to remember that about him.

As for comparisons to Aaron Rowand, yeah, that's probably accurate.

KW keeps saying that he wants to compete next year, not go young. Outside of Andruw Jones, I can't think of any "impact" players for KW to pick up in the OF. So, that leaves us with guys like Rowand and Byrnes, who aren't impact guys but will give you a good AB, play the OF well, and worry pitchers on the base paths. Along the way, they may even make a difference in a win.

That may be the reality that KW is facing as I see things.

Torii (with 2 I's)

jabrch
07-23-2007, 05:37 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6558/career;_ylt=Au1MU4U.Bj_4hfhxnAAHCy.FCLcF

I'd rather go with Sweeney, Owens, BA, Terrero and my little cousin than spend $1 on this crapnozzle.

WS in 05
07-23-2007, 05:58 PM
For all I care he can go to hell. Take his "boy band" gold locks and GQ wannabe suits and sit with Jeanie-I know nothing about baseball-Zelasko, Joe Buck and the other Bozos at Fox

Domeshot17
07-23-2007, 06:02 PM
I don't like his obp for a guy who hits for power and speed but its tolerable. The one thing with him is lets say some of you guys are right and they sign him and rowand, then it is possible to live with Fields in left and Crede at 3rd for a year. The nice thing about this would be you have an OF that all runs well, 2/3 play good D, All have 17-30 home run potential. Then you can live with cloggers at 1st C DH and 3rd, but you would have to commit to getting a guy like Castillo to lead off and play 2b while Richar takes over short. You could then be looking at a possible lineup of Castillo 2b Byrnes CF Thome PK AJ Fields Crede Rowand Richar, which is a lineup that can win a world series, and it spaces your cloggers out.

Mr. White Sox
07-23-2007, 06:12 PM
I've said this before, but I think KW's main acquisition this winter will be Eric Byrnes. He will also target Torii Hunter. I wouldn't totally agree with getting Byrnes (I'd be much happier with trading for Ellsbury or a great leadoff prospect), but I just think he's Kenny's type of player.

kittle42
07-23-2007, 06:26 PM
I, for one, want Byrnes in the OF next year. The only available OF I'd rather have is Hunter.

ButtCheeseBubba
07-23-2007, 06:30 PM
For all I care he can go to hell. Take his "boy band" gold locks and GQ wannabe suits and sit with Jeanie-I know nothing about baseball-Zelasko, Joe Buck and the other Bozos at Fox

Zelasko's mouth is shaped in a very interesting way. She looks like Clutch Cargo when her piehole opens and words spew forth.

soltrain21
07-23-2007, 06:42 PM

I guess I'm in the minority of liking Eric Byrnes. It seems like he actually enjoys what he is doing, unlike most.

Gavin
07-23-2007, 06:44 PM
I guess I'm in the minority of liking Eric Byrnes. It seems like he actually enjoys what he is doing, unlike most.

Yeah, but he's got boy band golden blond hair, which is the #1 criterion in which we judge baseball players. I think that's the point your missing in this thread.

NardiWasHere
07-23-2007, 06:48 PM
I like him too.

JB98
07-23-2007, 07:14 PM
I, for one, want Byrnes in the OF next year. The only available OF I'd rather have is Hunter.

I agree.

mjmcend
07-23-2007, 07:15 PM
This is who I want the Sox to sign:

6) Kosuke Fukudome, RF, Chunichi Dragons (Japan), 29: The Central League MVP last season, Fukudome isn't putting up nearly the numbers this year (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=Alc0ttvPs8KmAEhPfaerdSIHU84F/SIG=1198ufv7n/**http%3A//www.japanball.com/stats.phtml), though his .440 on-base percentage speaks to his patience and opponents' fear of him. A left-handed hitter with an arm that instantly will be among the best in the major leagues,Fukudome will benefit from Chunichi choosing not to put him up via the posting system. Like Hideki Matsui (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7042/;_ylt=Av8WW9TU9j0Rr9DwebTGhyIHU84F), Fukudome will come here as a free agent and reap all the money a team is ready to pay.
Projected contract: three years, $27 million

He could fill Dye's spot nicely in RF and add some much needed OBP to the Sox.

oeo
07-23-2007, 07:25 PM

6) Kosuke Fukudome, RF, Chunichi Dragons (Japan), 29: The Central League MVP last season, Fukudome isn't putting up nearly the numbers this year (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=Alc0ttvPs8KmAEhPfaerdSIHU84F/SIG=1198ufv7n/**http%3A//www.japanball.com/stats.phtml), though his .440 on-base percentage speaks to his patience and opponents' fear of him. A left-handed hitter with an arm that instantly will be among the best in the major leagues,Fukudome will benefit from Chunichi choosing not to put him up via the posting system. Like Hideki Matsui (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7042/;_ylt=Av8WW9TU9j0Rr9DwebTGhyIHU84F), Fukudome will come here as a free agent and reap all the money a team is ready to pay.

He could fill Dye's spot nicely in RF and add some much needed OBP to the Sox.

We've already seen how power does not translate from Japan (smaller parks, strikezones, etc.). And his OBP would likely drop, too, as he will have to cover a larger strike zone. Sounds like a huge question mark for $9 million. At least we know what we would get from Eric Byrnes.

mjmcend
07-23-2007, 07:28 PM
We've already seen how power does not translate from Japan (smaller parks, strikezones, etc.). And his OBP would likely drop, too, as he will have to cover a larger strike zone. Sounds like a huge question mark for $9 million. At least we know what we would get from Eric Byrnes.

Crap. That is what you get from Byrnes.

And 9 million for a free-agent outfielder is pretty cheap these days.

oeo
07-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Crap. That is what you get from Byrnes.

And 9 million for a free-agent outfielder is pretty cheap these days.

And how do you see Fukudome? Do you see him as a .300 hitter, with 30 HRs a year? I don't. Power never translates from Japan (Hideki Matsui was a huge power guy in Japan...he's never hit more than 31 here), so you can pretty much cut that number in half (take or leave some), knock the average down some, and all of a sudden Eric Byrnes doesn't look so bad.

Byrnes may not hit for average like he has this year, but he'll put up some power and even steal you some bags, all while playing his ass off. The guy would be a fan favorite here, I guarantee it.

champagne030
07-23-2007, 08:53 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6558/career;_ylt=Au1MU4U.Bj_4hfhxnAAHCy.FCLcF

I'd rather go with Sweeney, Owens, BA, Terrero and my little cousin than spend $1 on this crapnozzle.

Wow!! :thud::thud:You said some very silly things before, but I don't think you've topped your latest statement. Byrnes isn't some HOF, but he's a massive upgrade over, what was, 2/3 of our starting OF to begin the season....And it's now 3/3 of our OF 60% of the way through the season.

I still cannot believe it. You really think Luis ****ing Terrero or Owens belong in the same sentence? I really hope you don't have a drug test soon because I cannot imagine someone making that statement without being under the influence of a controlled substance.

broker3d
07-23-2007, 09:37 PM
I would love to land Byrnes. IMO, Byrnes > Rowand.

kittle42
07-23-2007, 10:14 PM

Agreed.

PatK
07-24-2007, 09:44 AM
I like him as a player, hate him as a commentator.

He reminds me of those "XTREME!" dudes in Mountain Dew commercials.

The Immigrant
07-24-2007, 11:12 AM

Byrnes steals more bases, but otherwise their numbers are fairly comparable except that Rowand has a longer (and better, IMO) track record at the plate despite being a year younger than Byrnes. Rowand also hits lefties well and Byrnes does not. I would take Rowand over Byrnes, but I think it's a close call.

balke
07-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Byrnes/Rowand/Cameron you get about the same prodction all around.

If the Sox lose Dye, I want Jones or Hunter at the least. If the Sox keep Dye, I'd like one of those 3. Well, I'd still like Hunter or Jones too, but both would be out of reach if Dye stays I'm guessing.

AzureJazzMan
07-24-2007, 12:51 PM
I thought we already had Byrnes on this team...You know, boy band looking, golden locks flowing, energetic spirit, quick on the basepaths, but his name isn't Bynes, though he is from AZ...I believe his name is Brian Anderson, and he is currently with our AAA franchise in Charlotte. BA is Eric Byrnes in 3 years...Mark it down, and thank me later.

oeo
07-24-2007, 01:29 PM
I thought we already had Byrnes on this team...You know, boy band looking, golden locks flowing, energetic spirit, quick on the basepaths, but his name isn't Bynes, though he is from AZ...I believe his name is Brian Anderson, and he is currently with our AAA franchise in Charlotte. BA is Eric Byrnes in 3 years...Mark it down, and thank me later.

That's pretty funny.

:roflmao:

kittle42
07-24-2007, 01:32 PM

That would require Anderson getting out of the minors.

INSox56
07-24-2007, 02:03 PM

He could fill Dye's spot nicely in RF and add some much needed OBP to the Sox.I've been saying this for months.

Mr. White Sox
07-24-2007, 02:06 PM
I've been saying this for months.

Too bad 10 other teams have been saying this for months as well. He's going to command a hell of a price tag; I'm thinking 3-4 years at 10-11mil. It sounds high but some team is going to do it.

INSox56
07-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Too bad 10 other teams have been saying this for months as well. He's going to command a hell of a price tag; I'm thinking 3-4 years at 10-11mil. It sounds high but some team is going to do it.yup. The good thing about this FA class is that there are quite a few decent-good OFs. Byrnes, Fukodome, Rowand, Jones, etc etc.

soxinem1
07-24-2007, 03:04 PM
I'd have no problem with him in any OF position.

I could see KW making a play for either Rowand or Hunter in CF, then put Byrnes in LF. If Dye leaves, and Crede comes back, then Byrnes goes to RF and Fields goes to LF. 60-80 HR's, at least 250 RBI's total, and even 60-70 SB's just from the starters.

That is a very good set of OF possibilities, IYAM.

Fields actually looks pretty quick footed to me running, and he did steal about 25 bases in AAA last year. If I was Ozzie, I'd let Fields run a bit and see if they can make a Major League baserunner out of him going into next year.

mjmcend
07-24-2007, 04:04 PM
I've been saying this for months.

Some people (me) were listening.

HomeFish
07-24-2007, 09:21 PM
Does Eric Byrnes still skateboard to all of his home games?

JUribe1989
07-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Who gives a crap what Byrnes said about Sox fans? I have season tickets and more than half the people around me are idiots. With that line of thinking, the Bulls never would've gotten Rodman, the Sox never would've gotten AJ, the Giants never would've even thought of going for Zito, and we wouldn't attempt to sign Torii Hunter.

Byrnes hits for good power, he has an above average arm in the OF (something NONE of our outfielders have), and he is a player that plays his hardest and goes for the extra base. I'm sick of having the slowest log jam in baseball of Konerko-Thome-AJ-Dye hitting back to back. It's becoming a joke, every announcer I hear on XM points it out whenever one of them is on base.

kittle42
07-24-2007, 10:29 PM
Who gives a crap what Byrnes said about Sox fans? I have season tickets and more than half the people around me are idiots. With that line of thinking, the Bulls never would've gotten Rodman, the Sox never would've gotten AJ, the Giants never would've even thought of going for Zito, and we wouldn't attempt to sign Torii Hunter.

Byrnes hits for good power, he has an above average arm in the OF (something NONE of our outfielders have), and he is a player that plays his hardest and goes for the extra base. I'm sick of having the slowest log jam in baseball of Konerko-Thome-AJ-Dye hitting back to back. It's becoming a joke, every announcer I hear on XM points it out whenever one of them is on base.

You are a wise man!

soxinem1
07-25-2007, 12:03 PM

Amen, brother!!!