PDA

View Full Version : Oldest living MLB player has died

Fenway
07-23-2007, 03:59 PM
I wonder if he was the last living player that played against Ruth

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Former St. Louis Brown Rollie Stiles, believed to be the oldest former major leaguer, has died. He was 100.

Stiles died in his sleep Sunday morning at Bethesda Southgate nursing home in St. Louis County, a spokesman for the nursing home said Monday. A cause of death was not given.

Born Nov. 17, 1906, in Ratcliff, Ark., Stiles pitched for the Browns in 1930, 1931 and 1933, compiling a 9-14 record with a 5.92 ERA. Babe Ruth was among the hitters he faced.

"I had a great game against him," Stiles recalled in a 2006 interview with the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "I held him to three hits."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BBO_OBIT_STILES?SITE=RIPRJ&SECTION=SPORTS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

The Racehorse
07-23-2007, 04:16 PM

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Former St. Louis Brown Rollie Stiles, believed to be the oldest former major leaguer, has died. He was 100.

Stiles died in his sleep Sunday morning at Bethesda Southgate nursing home in St. Louis County, a spokesman for the nursing home said Monday. A cause of death was not given.

Born Nov. 17, 1906, in Ratcliff, Ark., Stiles pitched for the Browns in 1930, 1931 and 1933, compiling a 9-14 record with a 5.92 ERA. Babe Ruth was among the hitters he faced.

"I had a great game against him," Stiles recalled in a 2006 interview with the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "I held him to three hits."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BBO_OBIT_STILES?SITE=RIPRJ&SECTION=SPORTS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Man, sad to see him or anyone pass.:(:
But that line about the Babe is awesome. :D:

RIP Mr. Stiles

kittle42
07-23-2007, 05:00 PM
I thought for sure this was going to be about Julio Franco.

downstairs
07-23-2007, 06:12 PM

Phil Cavarretta of the Cubs played in 1935, the year Ruth was on Boston. They played Boston early in the season (Ruth played 28 games only). Phil Cavarretta played almost all the games.

So I am betting he may have.

And he's still alive.

Rockin Robin
07-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Fun fact about Julio Franco.

I was at the sox/sox game yesterday, and they flashed a trivia question up on the board. Did you know he's the only active MLB player who faced a pitcher who also faced Ted Williams...

Julio Franco vs. Jim Kaat

eastchicagosoxfan
07-23-2007, 09:01 PM

I was at the sox/sox game yesterday, and they flashed a trivia question up on the board. Did you know he's the only active MLB player who faced a pitcher who also faced Ted Williams...

Julio Franco vs. Jim Kaat
I love this sort of timeline stuff. That Julio Franco bit is great. A few years back, ESPN ran a bit about the ninth man, referring to baseball's ninth generation. In a few years, some hotshot prospect will get compared to A-Rod, in the twilight of his great career.
A-Rod played with the great Eddie Murray
Murray played with Brooks Robinson, a star of the 1960's and 1970's
Robinson faced Bob Feller, whose great career was interupted by WWII
Feller's career was beginning, as that great star of the 1920's, Rogers Hornsby, was ending his career
Hornsby was a rookie in 1915, two years before the The Flying Dutchman, Honus Wagner retired
Wgner was a rookie in 1897...and unfortunately I don't recall the last two players, but just for kicks...
In 1899, Wagner was a teamate to old Chief Zimmer, who, in the 1880's competed against one of the game's originals, Harry Wright a HOF'er in 1953, and a member of the original Boston franchise in 1871 in the old National Association.

PKalltheway
07-23-2007, 10:02 PM
I love this sort of timeline stuff. That Julio Franco bit is great. A few years back, ESPN ran a bit about the ninth man, referring to baseball's ninth generation. In a few years, some hotshot prospect will get compared to A-Rod, in the twilight of his great career.
A-Rod played with the great Eddie Murray
Murray played with Brooks Robinson, a star of the 1960's and 1970's
Robinson faced Bob Feller, whose great career was interupted by WWII
Feller's career was beginning, as that great star of the 1920's, Rogers Hornsby, was ending his career
Hornsby was a rookie in 1915, two years before the The Flying Dutchman, Honus Wagner retired
Wgner was a rookie in 1897...and unfortunately I don't recall the last two players, but just for kicks...
In 1899, Wagner was a teamate to old Chief Zimmer, who, in the 1880's competed against one of the game's originals, Harry Wright a HOF'er in 1953, and a member of the original Boston franchise in 1871 in the old National Association.
Here's a fun thing on baseball reference that I like to get on sometimes. It relates to this topic somewhat. http://www.baseball-reference.com/oracle/

eastchicagosoxfan
07-24-2007, 05:08 AM
Here's a fun thing on baseball reference that I like to get on sometimes. It relates to this topic somewhat. http://www.baseball-reference.com/oracle/
I also enjoy that feature. With any Sox players, eliminate Minnie. His It skews the line.

Railsplitter
07-24-2007, 08:37 AM

Williams may well have been the last active player who played against Lou Gehrig, as Williams made his debut against the Yankees in the 1939 season opener.

TommyJohn
07-24-2007, 08:55 AM
Phil Cavarretta of the Cubs played in 1935, the year Ruth was on Boston. They played Boston early in the season (Ruth played 28 games only). Phil Cavarretta played almost all the games.

So I am betting he may have.

And he's still alive.

He is also the only player whose career spanned Babe Ruth to Hank Aaron.
He played from 1934-1955, although in 1954-55 he was a member of the
White Sox and never played against Aaron.

DoItForDanPasqua
07-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Ninety-nine year old Billy Werber of the Yankees, Giants, Red Sox and Athletics has been officially sworn in as the oldest living major league player. He is the last surviving teammate of Babe Ruth.

I'm guessing that the A's didn't wear white shoes and yellow socks in his day.