PDA

View Full Version : Looking Ahead: 2008 MLB Draft

kjhanson
07-23-2007, 12:23 PM
I realize this is looking pretty far ahead, but the "welcome to a tie for last place" thread made this inevitable. If we don't go 47-18 (.723) the rest of the way, there's a good chance this season will have been lost. With our current record we would have a top-10 draft pick in next year's draft.

Project Prospect: Top 5 in College for 2008 (http://www.projectprospect.com/college-prospect-rankings-7307/)

The college class is supposed to be hitter-heavy, which may bode well for us with our aging lineup.

Flight #24
07-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Depressing thought/question: Who're the agents for these guys and what are their likely bonus demands?

If only I could be assured that the Sox will take the most talented player with their only top 5-10 pick in a long long while.:(:

I don't want to hear about "signability", not unless it follows an offseason in which they spend some real cash to upgrade at OF/SS.

letsgosox1592
07-23-2007, 12:56 PM
I want the Whitesox to draft Jordan Danks.

NardiWasHere
07-23-2007, 12:58 PM
Sorta off topic...

This website has Hughes as the #1 prospect in the game... Is he really that highly regarded?

letsgosox1592
07-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Sorta off topic...

This website has Hughes as the #1 prospect in the game... Is he really that highly regarded?

You mean Phillip Hughes of the Yankees. If so, I would say yes. He had a no hitter in his 2nd career start until he had to leave because of injury. He is going to be a stud pitcher and He is the best pitching prospect, along with Homer Bailey of Cincy.

NardiWasHere
07-23-2007, 01:13 PM
You mean Phillip Hughes of the Yankees. If so, I would say yes. He had a no hitter in his 2nd career start until he had to leave because of injury. He is going to be a stud pitcher and He is the best pitching prospect, along with Homer Bailey of Cincy.

I knew he was good, but not #1 in the game good.... Thanks

balke
07-23-2007, 01:25 PM

The White Sox want to draft Jordan Danks. Didn't they try to already?

jabrch
07-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Depressing thought/question: Who're the agents for these guys and what are their likely bonus demands?

If only I could be assured that the Sox will take the most talented player with their only top 5-10 pick in a long long while.:(:

I don't want to hear about "signability", not unless it follows an offseason in which they spend some real cash to upgrade at OF/SS.

It doesn't really matter who their agents are - the guys predicted to go top 5 will all be expensive. Kenny and JR have proven that they are willing to pay the price for top tier talent before. I know it is the in thing to critcize the Sox draft picks, but Broadway/McCull/Poreda don't look nearly as bad as some say. I know there is always some other guy that people want, but just spending big $ on HS or college players isn't the answer. It is about evaluating and selecting the right talent.

:LTP

"You talking to me?"

Domeshot17
07-23-2007, 03:21 PM
It doesn't really matter who their agents are - the guys predicted to go top 5 will all be expensive. Kenny and JR have proven that they are willing to pay the price for top tier talent before. I know it is the in thing to critcize the Sox draft picks, but Broadway/McCull/Poreda don't look nearly as bad as some say. I know there is always some other guy that people want, but just spending big $ on HS or college players isn't the answer. It is about evaluating and selecting the right talent.

:LTP

"You talking to me?"

I dont know how I feel about this. Drafting is such a crapshoot, but we never aim high. I guess I just envy the Tigers because they seem to have it all figured out. No matter where they draft, they take the best player and worry about money second. Maybin was a steal because of signability issues, Porcello was one of the 2 or 3 best high school arms in this draft and they got him after we picked again because of signability issues. I guess they seem to just go for the best prospect and not the safest, where we do the opposite which has not translated into a thing lately. Broadway is known mostly as a good not very good or great spec, a back of the rotation prospect, same with Kyle. Poreda has a power arm, but from what I have read on him (and yah for what thats worth) all his secondary pitches need a lot of work.

The farm would not seem nearly as bad if we didn't have 3 of the best teams in terms of drafting and developing in our division. Minnesota has always made a living on it, Detroit has been rocking lately and most of the tribes 25 man has come through their system. Im praying guys like Broadway and Mculloch come to bigs and have success, but it just doesn't seem like they can replace the guys in the front (I.E. Garland or Javy).

jabrch
07-23-2007, 04:20 PM
I guess I just envy the Tigers because they seem to have it all figured out.

I'm not sure the Tigers really have it all figured out. Before last year, they haven't finished above .500 since 1993 and they haven't made the post season since 1987. They have been absolutely awful in most of the past 10 years.

Picking 2nd overall - they drafted Verlander - fine. The year before they took Kyle Sleeth with the #3 overall pick. Scott Moore #8, Kenny Baugh #11. Matt Wheatland #8. Eric Munson #3. Maybin was drafted #10 overall. But they passed on Ellsbury and Rasmus, CFs who are both highly rated also. Porcello was taken where he was taken for a reason. Many GMs believe it is unwise to spend the kind of money that he asked for on a HS kid. Don't credit Detroit yet for being smart because they did something that nearly every other team passed on. Some very astute GMs and some very wealthy GMs also chose to not draft Porcello.

You want to tell me the Twins have it figured out? Look at their first picks in the drafts ever since drafting #1 overall and taking Joe Mauer (as an issue of signability). Span, Moses, Plouffe, Perkins, Waldrop, Garza, Parmalee, Revere. I'm not sure that's better than Poreda, McCulloch, Broadway, Fields, Anderson and Ring.

Take a look at Oakland, who supposedly figured out the draft a long time ago. Since the famed 2002 draft, Oakland has taken Sullivan, Snyder, Powell, Robnett, Pennington and Simmons. It isn't so easy drafting in the 20s. You can get Zito, Mulder and Chavez when you have picks 10 or lower. But after pick 20, it is much harder.

The Red Sox don't have it figured out either - looks like they got one right (Ellsbury - but he's a long way from a star) and they have all the money to spend. Place, Bard, Ellsbury, Hansen, Murphy, Dumatrait, Asadoorian, Everett, Curtice, Garrett, Jenkins and Yount. Or the Yanks (only projected "win" is Hughes) - Brackman, Kennedy, Henry, Hughes, Duncan, Griffin, Parrish, Walling, Brown, Goodwin.

I still don't feel like there is a way to "figure out" the draft. There's way to much variability. It reminds me of people who claim that they are good at "reading" people in poker. I don't see it as much as a science as some want to argue that it is.

IJay22
07-23-2007, 04:56 PM

I'm down for the Danks brothers to be on the same team!!! :cool:

GoSox2K3
07-23-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm not sure the Tigers really have it all figured out. Before last year, they haven't finished above .500 since 1993 and they haven't made the post season since 1987. They have been absolutely awful in most of the past 10 years.

Picking 2nd overall - they drafted Verlander - fine. The year before they took Kyle Sleeth with the #3 overall pick. Scott Moore #8, Kenny Baugh #11. Matt Wheatland #8. Eric Munson #3. Maybin was drafted #10 overall. But they passed on Ellsbury and Rasmus, CFs who are both highly rated also. Porcello was taken where he was taken for a reason. Many GMs believe it is unwise to spend the kind of money that he asked for on a HS kid. Don't credit Detroit yet for being smart because they did something that nearly every other team passed on. Some very astute GMs and some very wealthy GMs also chose to not draft Porcello.

No, no, NO!! That is just not true! Based on fan reaction on WSI, I'm positive that the Sox were the ONLY team to take a pass on Porcello. The Tigers, having the 2nd pick in the draft, obviously grabbed him. I think it's also a given at this point that this youngster is going to start the 2009 All-Star game.

Britt Burns
07-23-2007, 11:54 PM
Obviously a lot can happen between now and then, but if the Sox have a chance to grab Jordan I bet they will take it. While unsuccessful, their negotiations in '05 were amicable, and this before his brother was with the Sox. Living in Austin I get to see him play a fair deal, and he certainly looks the part of a multi-talented major league player. His power hasn't developed as quickly as expected, but everything else--his arm, speed, batting eye, build, etc.--gives you confidence he will succeed at the next level.

jabrch
07-23-2007, 11:57 PM
I heard today that in addition to the 10mm, Porcello wanted a major league contract. That would eat up a 40 man roster spot, and would mean his clock would start immediately. This is for a kid still in HIGH SCHOOL.

I'm pretty sure passing on Porcello was not a bad idea. What it turns out to is a different story, but taking him is a high risk proposition with a low chance of paying out. It's not a bet that I want to see KW make with 10mm, a 1st round pick, and a roster spot.

soxfanreggie
07-24-2007, 01:53 AM
I'm not sure any of them have agents yet...I think hiring one would ruin their amatuer status.

jabrch
07-24-2007, 09:51 AM
And one more comment on Porcello. He hasn't yet signed with the Tigers, has he? August 12 is just around the corner.

Can you imagine the fury on this board if we failed to sign our #1 draft pick because he asked for

A) 10mm signing bonus
B) A spot on the 40 man roster
C) A 3 year clock - starting immediately

all of this, while being a HS kid who may or may not ever throw a single freaking inning in the major leagues?

Lots of teams passed on Porcello - not because he isn't a good prospect, but because the package it may take to sign him is not worth it.

Randar68
07-24-2007, 01:01 PM
I'm not sure any of them have agents yet...I think hiring one would ruin their amatuer status.

At this point they have "advisors", which is the term for "currently unpaid agent-to-be".

champagne030
07-24-2007, 01:28 PM
And one more comment on Porcello. He hasn't yet signed with the Tigers, has he? August 12 is just around the corner.

Can you imagine the fury on this board if we failed to sign our #1 draft pick because he asked for

A) 10mm signing bonus

No, I cannot imagine the fury because there wouldn't be much. You only lose the pick until the next draft.

Lots of teams passed on Porcello - not because he isn't a good prospect, but because the package it may take to sign him is not worth it.

Is that what other teams said? Do you have a link? Maybe it's because they're too tight with their money or don't trust their scouting. Dombrowski doesn't mind trusting his opinions or scouts....it seems some other teams don't have the fortitude.

oeo
07-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Is that what other teams said? Do you have a link? Maybe it's because they're too tight with their money or don't trust their scouting. Dombrowski doesn't mind trusting his opinions or scouts....it seems some other teams don't have the fortitude.

Seems like Dombrowski just isn't afraid to throw money at anyone and everyone. Sounds like risky business to me...

Maybe the Tigers will continue to get lucky with that 'strategy,' but eventually I think it's going to bite them in the butt.

kitekrazy
07-24-2007, 01:45 PM

A) 10mm signing bonus

all of this, while being a HS kid who may or may not ever throw a single freaking inning in the major leagues?

B- already says attitude problem in my book. That's the problem with Major League Baseball. Players think they are bigger than the game. Now you have kids thinking the same way.