PDA

View Full Version : Welcome!!! To a tie for last place.....

nsolo
07-23-2007, 11:46 AM
I've been staying off the boards for the past week or two. The reason being I just couldn't contribute to the threads without reminding myself how poorly the team is performing.

Yet, today, my sarcasm has the best of me and I'm forced to come out of reclusion, even for a moment. Welcome to a tie for last place.

hi im skot
07-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Gee, thanks.

soxinem1
07-23-2007, 11:52 AM
As if we wanted to have a post like this reminding us, like we didn't already know!!!

soxfanatlanta
07-23-2007, 12:03 PM
No we are not: we have a better head to head record against them.

sheesh
:wink:

Quickdraw
07-23-2007, 12:29 PM
No we are not: we have a better head to head record against them.

sheesh
:wink:

So we have winning records against them when we are bad but when we are good we cant beat them?

JB98
07-23-2007, 12:57 PM
So we have winning records against them when we are bad but when we are good we cant beat them?

That's a little bit overblown. We have won the season series from Kansas City with great regularity as of late. The 2005 team went 13-5 against the Royals. However, all those losses came late in the year, so people thought the Royals "owned" the Sox. It was actually just a market correction. The Sox won the first 10 head-to-head meetings that year. Water found its level as the season progressed.

It was the same thing with the 2003 Sox vs. the 2003 Tigers. Supposedly, the Tigers "owned" us that year. Actually, the Sox won the season series 12-7. The Sox were guilty of not dominating the way they should have, and it was one of the reasons they lost the division. But they did not get "owned' by Detroit.

TDog
07-23-2007, 01:34 PM
I sometimes see people post that finishing second, or at best a non-wild-card second, is worse than finishing last. Others post that if you don't make the postseason, it doesn't matter where you finish. I would rather not finish last, but in the end, it doesn't matter.

I've been a White Sox fan in a lot of years when they haven't had a chance to make the postseason. I know a lot of Giants fans who understand that the postseason is something that happens to other fans' teams. Because we have the character to cheer for our team instead of following a front-runner (although as a former Brewer season-ticket holder I have a soft place for Milwaukee, and I'm happy the Mariners are winning because I know a lot of Seattle fans), it doesn't make us worse people.

I'm a White Sox fan. I was a White Sox fan in 1970. I was a White Sox fan in 1995. I was a White Sox fan in 2005. I'm a White Sox fan today. That doesn't make me a loser.

southside rocks
07-23-2007, 01:43 PM
I sometimes see people post that finishing second, or at best a non-wild-card second, is worse than finishing last. Others post that if you don't make the postseason, it doesn't matter where you finish. I would rather not finish last, but in the end, it doesn't matter.

I've been a White Sox fan in a lot of years when they haven't had a chance to make the postseason. I know a lot of Giants fans who understand that the postseason is something that happens to other fans' teams. Because we have the character to cheer for our team instead of following a front-runner (although as a former Brewer season-ticket holder I have a soft place for Milwaukee, and I'm happy the Mariners are winning because I know a lot of Seattle fans), it doesn't make us worse people.

I'm a White Sox fan. I was a White Sox fan in 1970. I was a White Sox fan in 1995. I was a White Sox fan in 2005. I'm a White Sox fan today. That doesn't make me a loser.

:thumbsup:

And this column at Bugs & Cranks said it better than I could:

http://bugsandcranks.com/chicago-white-sox/hitting-rock-bottom-or-what-its-like-to-be-as-lousy-as-the-royals/

KenBerryGrab
07-23-2007, 01:59 PM
Silver lining: Maybe we can get a Frank-Alex F.-Robin-level draftee out of this season.

nsolo
07-23-2007, 02:13 PM

I hope that my creation of this thread was not to imply that you are a loser. Not the case. I was just trying to highlight the fact that our team losses A LOT! Enough to be tied for last.

MisterB
07-23-2007, 02:21 PM

http://bugsandcranks.com/chicago-white-sox/hitting-rock-bottom-or-what-its-like-to-be-as-lousy-as-the-royals/

That really hits the spot.

I just love how some of the "fans" around here seem almost giddy that the Sox have fallen on their asses this season. The ones that go to great lengths to "prove" how our good players actually, in fact, suck, and fall over themselves trying to show that they were the first ones to "know" that the team would go down the toilet.

Add to that the panicky sheep that want every struggling player released and every non-struggling one traded for no one in particular just because every other team's players are automatically better than anyone currently on the Sox.

Sorry for the rant (as well as the overuse of sarcastic quotation marks.)

jenn2080
07-23-2007, 03:31 PM
I would like to welcome Ross Gload and the KC Royals to 4th place this week.

Rocky Soprano
07-23-2007, 03:39 PM
That was a great read.

RCWHITESOX
07-23-2007, 03:41 PM
I've been staying off the boards for the past week or two. The reason being I just couldn't contribute to the threads without reminding myself how poorly the team is performing.

Yet, today, my sarcasm has the best of me and I'm forced to come out of reclusion, even for a moment. Welcome to a tie for last place.

I think we can finally say we are sellers; which we all should have know long ago with all holes that this team has . Hopefully Kenny can plug as many as possible so that we can be competitive as soon as next year. Please unload Uribe!!!!!!!!!!

cbotnyse
07-23-2007, 04:17 PM
:anon:

downstairs
07-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Woah. I didn't even notice that. Wow.

Ya know, people get fired for this kinda ****.

soxwon
07-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Lets be the worst!!!
say it loud LETS BE THE WORST.
Lets be the worst.....

Jurr
07-24-2007, 12:17 AM
Still tied for last. I can't believe this season. So much potential, and now we're talking about a last place club. WE ARE AS BAD AS THE KANSAS CITY ****ING ROYALS.

soxfan1965
07-24-2007, 12:29 AM

I like this article, it puts things in perspective, and those who endured the Sox in the 70's and 80's (especially 1970) may feel as I do that there is a lot of gasoline in the tank left from the 2005 fill-up to go through the current collapse. I felt the 2005 team was great but still shaky and they were fortunate not only to get to the World Series but win it. It would be a much worse feeling with today's team if they blew it in 2005. If they finish last place, so-be-it, but I'd rather have five years of this team with 2005, than five years of a respectable second place with no 2005. Without 2005, I'd still be lamenting about the 1964 and 1967 near-misses, and that 1983 Tito Landrum home run. And in spite of the big spending teams, there seems to be a parity in both leagues where no team really dominates, and that gives the Sox hope to patiently and smartly restructure and just do enough to win another championship.

TomParrish79
07-24-2007, 01:01 AM
just a bad night

Lip Man 1
07-24-2007, 01:02 AM
Tom:

Don't you mean a bad season?

Lip

HerzogVon
07-24-2007, 10:02 AM
Lets be the worst!!!
say it loud LETS BE THE WORST.
Lets be the worst.....

No, the Brewers are the wurst. We have to settle for chopped liver. :rolleyes:

TomParrish79
07-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Tom:

Don't you mean a bad season?

Lip

Yeah a bad season

downstairs
07-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Other than this year (and not counting the first few games of a season, of course)... when was the last time we were in sole possession of last place in our division?

Foulke You
07-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Other than this year (and not counting the first few games of a season, of course)... when was the last time we were in sole possession of last place in our division?
Interesting question. I think it has been a while. '89 maybe? I remember even during the Bevington/Manual era of the mid-late '90s we were always in 2nd place to the Indians. (Albeit a distant 2nd place...)

JB98
07-24-2007, 01:47 PM

The last day of the 1989 season. That was the last time we were in last place this late in the year.

Lip Man 1
07-24-2007, 01:48 PM
The last time the Sox were in last place (or tied for last place) in the division at any time was the final day of the regular season, 1989.

That is until a few days ago...

Lip

Chicken Dinner
07-24-2007, 01:48 PM
http://www.shrpsports.com/mlb/stand/1989finaldiv.htm

chisoxfanatic
07-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Not having been online for more than a grand total of five minutes this weekend, I just about **** my pants when I saw our guys with the same record as the Royals. Why did they have to lose three of four to the Red Sox of all teams??? Ughhh!

Here's hoping that Scotty and Ersty's returns will help this team at least reach THIRD place as a big proverbial middle finger for BP.

DumpJerry
07-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Not having been online for more than a grand total of five minutes this weekend, I just about **** my pants when I saw our guys with the same record as the Royals. Why did they have to lose three of four to the Red Sox of all teams??? Ughhh!

Here's hoping that Scotty and Ersty's returns will help this team at least reach THIRD place as a big proverbial middle finger for BP.
You ought to know. You were with a Red Sawx fan this weekend.