PDA

View Full Version : 639,628 people went to the ballpark on Saturday

itsnotrequired
07-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Major League Baseball drew 639,628 fans to Saturday's 16 games, the second largest single-day attendance total in its history...

Through yesterday's [Saturday's] games, 46,348,998 fans attended games, 4.7 percent greater than the record-breaking 2006 season.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070722&content_id=2102642&vkey=pr_mlbcom&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

DoItForDanPasqua
07-23-2007, 11:44 AM
It's amazing how much higher attendance is now than it was in the so called golden era. Back then, before being able to watch every game on TV or the internet, many teams struggled to draw one million. Baseball is arguably more popular now than ever before.

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/attendance.htm

Malgar 12
07-23-2007, 12:14 PM
It's amazing how much higher attendance is now than it was in the so called golden era. Back then, before being able to watch every game on TV or the internet, many teams struggled to draw one million. Baseball is arguably more popular now than ever before.

Maybe. It depends on you measures of popularity. Certainly Baseball was king during the golden era, as compared to Football, Basketball or Hockey. During the progressive era, part of the reason attendance was lower was because stadium capacity was much lower, (until the building boom of the teens), and even then it was usually lower than today's stadiums. Another reason is that all of the games were played during the day, which means a working man, even if he can afford a ticket could only go on Saturday. Sunday baseball was very controversial at the turn of the century.

Fenway
07-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Maybe. It depends on you measures of popularity. Certainly Baseball was king during the golden era, as compared to Football, Basketball or Hockey. During the progressive era, part of the reason attendance was lower was because stadium capacity was much lower, (until the building boom of the teens), and even then it was usually lower than today's stadiums. Another reason is that all of the games were played during the day, which means a working man, even if he can afford a ticket could only go on Saturday. Sunday baseball was very controversial at the turn of the century.

OK but attendance is almost double what it was 20 years ago. Also a ticket to a MLB game was usually just a little higher than a movie ticket. If someone had told me a box seat at Fenway would be $105 I would have laughed at him.

letsgosox1592
07-23-2007, 01:00 PM
I love hockey for a passion and it is by far the least amount of fans show. the Blackhawks are lucky to get 10,000 fans for a game thats not against Detroit.

RowanDye
07-23-2007, 01:40 PM
OK but attendance is almost double what it was 20 years ago. Also a ticket to a MLB game was usually just a little higher than a movie ticket. If someone had told me a box seat at Fenway would be $105 I would have laughed at him.

There are also about 80 million more people in the U.S. since 1980.

itsnotrequired
07-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Dang, MLB just set the all-time record Saturday!

Major League Baseball drew 717,478 fans to its 17 games Saturday, making it the most well attended single day in baseball history. The 17 games attracted an average of 42,205 fans per game.

Attendance through yesterday's [Saturday's] games is running 4.4 percent ahead of the total through the same date last season.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070729&content_id=2116657&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

soxfanatlanta
07-30-2007, 09:40 AM
Dang, MLB just set the all-time record Saturday!

Careful sport: attendance threads are not appreciated round these parts. :tongue:

I guess the owners cannot claim poverty anymore, eh?

itsnotrequired
07-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Careful sport: attendance threads are not appreciated round these parts. :tongue:

Eh, I've been around the block.:D:

I guess the owners cannot claim poverty anymore, eh?

The owners will always cry poor.

voodoochile
07-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Well, with 50% of the AL and 60% of the NL still in the playoff hunt, it probably helps.

Law11
07-30-2007, 09:44 AM
North this morning was discussing this. Talking about baseball is still America's pastime... The avg this weekend was 40k combined across the country.

Thats impressive..

soxfanatlanta
07-30-2007, 10:14 AM
The owners will always cry poorly.

Fixed it for you.

40K per game is an amazing number; I'm glad that my beloved sport is doing well these days.

itsnotrequired
07-30-2007, 10:18 AM
Fixed it for you.

40K per game is an amazing number; I'm glad that my beloved sport is doing well these days.

My posts do not require fixing.

PKalltheway
07-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Wow, simply impressive. Even the Royals got 27,000 on Saturday!:o:

Brian26
07-30-2007, 08:41 PM
North this morning was discussing this. Talking about baseball is still America's pastime... The avg this weekend was 40k combined across the country.

Thats impressive..

This is the reason I chuckled while listening to Jonathon Hood interviewing the Arena Football commissioner on Saturday, talking about how Arena Football was taking over the country. :rolleyes:

tacosalbarojas
07-30-2007, 10:59 PM
I flipped around to the Tampa/Toronto game on the extra innings package tonight and there was nobody in the stands in Tampa. I've seen more people at some high school regional championship games. It was embarrassing...but it did remind me how bad empty blue seats look...seriously quite the contrast to this weekend's record setting attendance.

DumpJerry
07-31-2007, 12:27 AM

There are more teams now than there were back in the day.

Wow, simply impressive. Even the Royals got 27,000 on Saturday!:o:
It was "play 1st Base for an Inning" promo day.