PDA

View Full Version : Big Baseball Rule Change. Runs Carry Over. What do you guys think?

Soxfanspcu11
07-23-2007, 03:15 AM
So this may sound a little silly, but I have had this idea for awhile about a kind of cool way to change the game.

Now, I know this would never happen, but just hear me out.....

Because baseball is based on a series, meaning teams don't just play one game, they play 3 or 4 or 5 in a row. What do you guys think about the idea of runs carrying over?

Meaning, as an example, if a team won the first game of a series by a score of 4-0, they could carry over 3 of those runs into the next game. So basically, even though they won the first game by the score of 4-0, technically, it would go down in the box score as a 1-0 victory, and they would be able to carry over the extra 3 runs for the next game. So, they would begin the next game, before even 1 pitch is thrown, with a 3-0 lead. I know that most of you are probably thinking, :o: and :?: and :rolleyes:, but just think about it for a second.

It would only last for that particular series. It would only be applicable to the 2 teams playing in that series. I think that it would be kind of cool because you would have teams busting their ass for the entire game.

If a team were down 11-1 in the 8th inning of the first game of the series, they wouldn't just "phone it in". They couldn't because they would know that they would start the next game off 10-0. So as a result, they would try as hard as they could to score as many runs as possible in order to make the next game manageable.

Essentially, a "series" would be like one continuous game. The positives of this would be that you would never see a team just quit in a blowout game. You would see both teams playing hard all the way up to final out. The players and fans would be into it the whole way, knowing that every single run is very important.

I know that it is a far-fetched idea that would never happen, but before you guys call me insane and this idea stupid, just think about it for a second.

The most obvious winners in this would be the fans. They would be able to see the players best effort for a full 9 innings, and it would make blowout games a hell of a lot more interesting!

Obviously, it's unfair to the next day's starting pitchers, but maybe there would be a way to not charge the next day's starting pitcher with a lose if he has to inherit a 10 run deficit.

I dunno, like I said, it is pretty silly, but it might be a cool thing to see one day. Perhaps one day down the road, when fans get tired of the same old same old and baseball needs to do something different to capture fans attention, they could do something like this.

I know, I know, call me crazy. Call the idea stupid. But I think that if you think about it for a little bit, you won't think that I am as nuts as you did when you originally read this! :cool:

RadioheadRocks
07-23-2007, 03:18 AM
Ummmmmm, no.

Soxfanspcu11
07-23-2007, 03:25 AM
Ummmmmm, no.

Wow! Thanks for the amazing insight!!!!!

As I said, it was just an idea. If you thought about it for a second and didn't rush to call me an *******, you might actually like parts of it! :D:

RadioheadRocks
07-23-2007, 03:28 AM
All I said was "ummmmmmm, no". I didn't refer to you personally by the term you attribute to me (or any other term for that matter). I just don't think carrying over runs from one game to another is a good idea, nothing more than that.

ilsox7
07-23-2007, 03:55 AM
All I said was "ummmmmmm, no". I didn't refer to you personally by the term you attribute to me (or any other term for that matter). I just don't think carrying over runs from one game to another is a good idea, nothing more than that.

QFT.

Chips
07-23-2007, 05:19 AM
So this may sound a little silly, but I have had this idea for awhile about a kind of cool way to change the game.

Because baseball is based on a series, meaning teams don't just play one game, they play 3 or 4 or 5 in a row. What do you guys think about the idea of runs carrying over?

Meaning, as an example, if a team won the first game of a series by a score of 4-0, they could carry over 3 of those runs into the next game. So basically, even though they won the first game by the score of 4-0, technically, it would go down in the box score as a 1-0 victory, and they would be able to carry over the extra 3 runs for the next game. So, they would begin the next game, before even 1 pitch is thrown, with a 3-0 lead. I know that most of you are probably thinking, :o: and :?: and :rolleyes:, but just think about it for a second.

It would only last for that particular series. It would only be applicable to the 2 teams playing in that series. I think that it would be kind of cool because you would have teams busting their ass for the entire game.

If a team were down 11-1 in the 8th inning of the first game of the series, they wouldn't just "phone it in". They couldn't because they would know that they would start the next game off 10-0. So as a result, they would try as hard as they could to score as many runs as possible in order to make the next game manageable.

Essentially, a "series" would be like one continuous game. The positives of this would be that you would never see a team just quit in a blowout game. You would see both teams playing hard all the way up to final out. The players and fans would be into it the whole way, knowing that every single run is very important.

I know that it is a far-fetched idea that would never happen, but before you guys call me insane and this idea stupid, just think about it for a second.

The most obvious winners in this would be the fans. They would be able to see the players best effort for a full 9 innings, and it would make blowout games a hell of a lot more interesting!

Obviously, it's unfair to the next day's starting pitchers, but maybe there would be a way to not charge the next day's starting pitcher with a lose if he has to inherit a 10 run deficit.

I dunno, like I said, it is pretty silly, but it might be a cool thing to see one day. Perhaps one day down the road, when fans get tired of the same old same old and baseball needs to do something different to capture fans attention, they could do something like this.

I know, I know, call me crazy. Call the idea stupid. But I think that if you think about it for a little bit, you won't think that I am as nuts as you did when you originally read this! :cool:

It is stupid.

April 17, 2007, The Sox lost to Texas 8-1.

According this rule, the Sox would enter the 18th down 6-0. Mark throws a no hitter and the game goes into extra innings 6-6 because Texas scored six extra runs the day before? Get fleeced.

Would home teams still bat in the bottom of the ninth then if they were winning?

You want a crazy idea? Build a pond in the middle of centerfield stocked with man eating alligators. And maybe let a couple of gazelles loose in the infield.

DumpJerry
07-23-2007, 07:04 AM
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm, no.

itsnotrequired
07-23-2007, 07:27 AM
You want a crazy idea? Build a pond in the middle of centerfield stocked with man eating alligators. And maybe let a couple of gazelles loose in the infield.

Do the gazelles have large talons?

ChiSoxlukes
07-23-2007, 08:26 AM

Ummmmmmmmmmmm no. You are joking right? What a terrible idea. Right now I'm so glad that Bud Selig is the commissioner and not you. Maybe when Vince McMahon and the WWE create a baseball league called the XLB they can follow these rules. Until then, I'm pretty happy watching some good ol MLB baseball. Have another.:gulp:

FedEx227
07-23-2007, 08:28 AM
Why eliminate the beauty of baseball? Baseball in its essence is the ability for one day a team to be blown out 13-0, then come back and win 2-1 the next day.

MeteorsSox4367
07-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Maybe we can even do away with this antiquated rule of having the home team bat last. Get the two managers at home plate and have the crew chief throw a bat to the visiting manager before the game. He catches it and then the home team's manager puts his hands on it and we work up the handle. Whoever's hand is on the bat last wins.

Also, how about having all the players from both teams line up on the baselines and have the captains choose? Or maybe have two fans pick?

"That's not fair! You took A.J. yesterday!"

And if there aren't enough players, maybe we can close one of the fields or play pitcher's hand?

As for the aforementioned suggestion atop this page, your what hurts?

jabrch
07-23-2007, 09:00 AM
Let's just use Pythagorean Wins instead of real wins?

Let's make it one game that lasts 27 innings instead of 3 9 inning games?

How about we hire NBA officials to umpire?

downstairs
07-23-2007, 10:49 AM
How about we hire NBA officials to umpire?

100:1 odds that that'll ever happen...

downstairs
07-23-2007, 10:52 AM
I have another good idea.

How about a team puts 15 players on defense. The normal 9 on the field, and then 6 more, plain-clothed players that can sit anywhere in the stands.

If they catch a home run, it counts as an out.

Oooooh

Jerko
07-23-2007, 10:58 AM
How about the visitors just bat until they make 27 outs, and the home team has to beat how many runs the visitors scored before making their 27th out? It will save a lot of wear and tear on our bullpen as the starters would only have to go one inning.

Chips
07-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Do the gazelles have large talons?

yes.

SOXBOY
07-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Ummmmmmmmmmm...no

Mr. White Sox
07-23-2007, 11:03 AM
100:1 odds that that'll ever happen...

http://www.siepser.com/images/referee.jpg
"I'll take that bet"

chisoxmike
07-23-2007, 11:07 AM
It is stupid.

April 17, 2007, The Sox lost to Texas 8-1.

According this rule, the Sox would enter the 18th down 6-0. Mark throws a no hitter and the game goes into extra innings 6-6 because Texas scored six extra runs the day before? Get fleeced.

Would home teams still bat in the bottom of the ninth then if they were winning?

HA! Pure gold.

Oh yeah....

:threadsucks

:threadblows:

Chips
07-23-2007, 11:11 AM
HA! Pure gold.

Oh yeah....

:threadsucks

:threadblows:

:rowand

just for the record

Huisj
07-23-2007, 11:19 AM
You want a crazy idea? Build a pond in the middle of centerfield stocked with man eating alligators.

We'd better sign Rowand if this happened! He's the only one who would take them on with no fear!

Soxfanspcu11
07-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Hmmm.....lot of angry people in this thread.

As I said, it was just an idea, something to change up the game. As I said, it has a lot of positives and many negatives.

I guess I should just stick to starting threads about The Nation of Sox, Favorite Resturants and Computer Help.

Creativity, check yourself at the door. We only like the same old stuff here!:rolleyes:

Domeshot17
07-23-2007, 11:16 PM
for major league baseball? No. But this is a fun idea man. I give you props for thinking of it, it just has too many flaws in it like Chips brought up. It would be cool, however in the same token, teams would really only have to bust ass in games 1 and 2. Furthermore, if this was the case, Boston never makes the comeback on the Yankees and doesn't win a world series.....actually, now im loving this idea!

IT MUST BE APPLIED AND BOSTON MUST FORFEIT ITS WORLD SERIES TITLE

TDog
07-23-2007, 11:58 PM

As I said, it was just an idea, something to change up the game. As I said, it has a lot of positives and many negatives.

I guess I should just stick to starting threads about The Nation of Sox, Favorite Resturants and Computer Help.

Creativity, check yourself at the door. We only like the same old stuff here!:rolleyes:

It might be a creative idea, but it's not a good idea. Baseball is about starting over with a clean slate. Every year, every team is tied. No matter how badly a team was beat on Saturday, it starts off tied on Sunday.

There was an idea for a baseball league a few decades ago that proposed (in addition to games in Columbus, Ohio, in February) counting a steal of home after the sixth inning as two runs. That was a creative proposal to place an arbitrary incentive in the game to inspire more excitement. That didn't make it a good idea.

Your idea is just as arbitrary and more regressive.

thomas35forever
07-24-2007, 12:23 AM
What's up buddy? Do you work for Bud Selig? In all seriousness though, no. If they do that for baseball, they'll have to do it for every postseason series in all sports, including basketball and hockey, which would play seven games in every series.

hi im skot
07-24-2007, 01:06 AM

There's creativity and then there are just bad ideas.

Sorry, but it goes against everything baseball is about.

Nellie_Fox
07-24-2007, 01:11 AM

Creativity, check yourself at the door. We only like the same old stuff here!:rolleyes:You asked what people thought. They told you. Now you get all defensive. It's not creative, it's dumb.

Why should a team be able to essentially lock up all four games of a four-game series on the first or second night?

How happy are you going to be if you spent big bucks for tickets for the last game of a series, only to find out on game day that your team will enter the game already behind by fifteen runs? Are you going to want to make that hour-long drive in heavy traffic, pay for parking and concessions, for that?

Chisox353014
07-24-2007, 08:37 AM

Do you have a version of this you can apply to hockey? I'd like to discuss it. Give me a call.

-Gary Bettman