PDA

View Full Version : The Return of the King!

KingXerxes
04-04-2002, 02:06 PM
Exaggerated - but only slightly.

:hawk

"Yessir DJ.........in my forty years around this game of major league baseball.....I don't think it's ever been easier to break into this game as a rookie. When I broke in - in the 1960's - it was almost impossible to break into this game as a rookie."

:DJ

"It was? But what about Tommy Davis,Al Oliver, Dean Chance, Tom Seaver, Tony Oliva, Larry Hisle, Tommy Helms, Billy Williams, Joe Torre, Jerry Koosman, Dick Allen, Tommy Agee, Jim Ray Hart, Rod Carew, Donn Clendenon, Frank Howard, Cleon Jones, Ron Santo, Del Unser, Carlos May, Jim Gentile, Joe Morgan, Randy Hundley, Stan Bahnsen, Rico Carty, Ken Hubbs, Reggie Smith, Lou Pinella, Johnny Bench, Jim Lefebvre, Pete Rose, Pete Ward, Gary Peters, Tom Tresh, Tito Fuentes, Gary Nolan, Curt Blefary, Ron Hunt and George Scott......weren't they all rookies?"

"Yep.......it was 'pert near impossible to break in during the 1960's as a rookie."

"If that were true Ken, then wouldn't the 1959 major league rosters look almost the same as the 1970 major league rosters?........Let's face it, a lot of guys came up in the 1960's."

"But I'm talking as rookies."

"How the hell else does somebody come up Hawk?"

"Well they didn't come up during the 1960's.....that's for sure."

OfficerKarkovice
04-04-2002, 02:17 PM
LOL...the King is back!...where the heck have you been...good to have you back.

Joel Perez
04-04-2002, 02:21 PM
Being out of state, I'm trying to listen and watch as many Sox games as possible. Hawk reminds me of a poor man's Harry Carey...probably not in the same league, but he's getting to by synonomous with White Sox lore now...in my opinion.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-04-2002, 02:21 PM
That was damn funny King! I'm having trouble deciphering as to whether that was a real conversation that took place or a very good simulation!
"My nominee for Post of the Week! :smile:

KingXerxes
04-04-2002, 02:26 PM
:farmer

"Well we've got a moment here, so let me weigh in - not way in - that could be construed as something else entirely - but weigh in on this subject of The Hawk. ...."

:rooney

"We really don't have time Ed, here's the pitch..."

"There's the pitch...it's a ball, now here's my pitch, not a pitch off the mound - I haven't done that in years - loved it when I could, gave it up when I couldn't - but a pitch along the lines of a sales pitch"

"There's a deep drive.....way back..."

"I came up as a rookie....it was my first year...not my first year on earth, but my first year in the majors....that's why I was a rookie - not the television show starring Kate Jackson....so not a Rookie as in The Rookies, but a rookie although you wouldn't have been able to tell that at the time."

"Tell what at the time? What are you talking about?"

"Tickets are still available for our next homestand, so if you've never been to a White Sox Game in person before, this would be a great time to visit us at the ballpark, and be a rookie yourself, although I don't think Kate Jackson comes as part of the package. Wish she did - beautiful lady - but I don't think she does."

"This is going to be one long year up here."

Well this year, like most years, is going to be 365 days, now I say most years because every fourth year - with the exception of end of the century years - those that end in 00 - are not leap years - those with 366 days - unless the first two digits of the year are divisible by 4 - not fore, that's golf......"

VeeckAsInWreck
04-04-2002, 02:32 PM
LOL....King, you sure have done your homework! Do you write scripts for Rooney & Farmer during the game? If you do could you write some where the Sox win & the bullpen holds a lead! In no particular order! :smile:

FarWestChicago
04-04-2002, 02:43 PM
Welcome back, King. Lord knows we need something to laugh at about now. :gulp:

voodoochile
04-04-2002, 02:50 PM
I don't even get the pleasure of listening to Rooney and Farmer, but I am laughing so hard, tears are rolling down my face...

This one's for you King X - not as in rated X which would be something entirely different - but as in Xerxes, king of booth chatter...

:gulp:

KingXerxes
04-04-2002, 02:51 PM
Thanks FWC - but I have to admit that having a thread announcing my first posts of this long season is a bit embarrassing.

I am honored though - Thank you.

FarWestChicago
04-04-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Thanks FWC - but I have to admit that having a thread announcing my first posts of this long season is a bit embarrassing.

I am honored though - Thank you. People have been asking about you for a while. Hell, I should stick the thread so some of the newer people can see what we've been talking about. :D:

FarWestChicago
04-04-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I don't even get the pleasure of listening to Rooney and Farmer, but I am laughing so hard, tears are rolling down my face...

This one's for you King X - not as in rated X which would be something entirely different - but as in Xerxes, king of booth chatter...

:gulp: LMAO!!

cheeses_h_rice
04-04-2002, 03:00 PM
The Farmer impression alone is worth the price of admission.

Well done, KingX!

PaleHoseGeorge
04-04-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Welcome back, King. Lord knows we need something to laugh at about now. :gulp:

I'll second that.

People, the competition for "Best of Sox Clubhouse" honors just got significantly greater.

Welcome back, King!

Nellsin
04-04-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
People, the competition for "Best of Sox Clubhouse" honors just got significantly greater.

You may need to establish pro & amateur categories, the King should be a member of the Writer's Guild of America -- the stuff is hysterical.

FarWestChicago
04-04-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Nellsin

You may need to establish pro & amateur categories, the King should be a member of the Writer's Guild of America -- the stuff is hysterical. Very good point. :D:

doublem23
04-04-2002, 04:48 PM
*****!!!!!

That's classic... Glad you're back, King!

LOL! :D:

Jjav829
04-04-2002, 05:48 PM
ROFLMAO!

More great stuff by the King.

WB to the boards. :smile:

Clarkdog
04-04-2002, 05:52 PM
King - The Rooney/Farmer bit had me laughing so hard it took me nearly five minutes to post this. :D:

Thanks for the laugh, with the Sox loss an my ****y job that really made my day.

Paulwny
04-04-2002, 07:48 PM
LONG LIVE THE KING
welcome back

Spiff
04-04-2002, 09:24 PM
Just to echo what has already been said (not that it doesn't deserve to be said again), great stuff.

I never hear Hawk and DJ out here, but the Farmer/Rooney bit is dead on . Classic.

sox_fan_forever
04-04-2002, 10:26 PM
LOL, that was great! Especially the Farmer one. I couldn't stop laughing.

:D:

KingXerxes
04-05-2002, 03:07 PM

"Damn it Farmer - I don't want to play this stupid game again."

"Sure it's a game, and it may be stupid, but is it a stupid game? Don't know.....hard to tell. Okay - so I'm thinking of a pitcher. Go ahead...."

"Sigh............okay question #1. Did he pitch in the American League?"

"Well now that answer needs a qualification. Was the league in America? Yes. North America specifically, but not in north America depending on where the dividing line is drawn between north and south - the directions - not the sides of the Civil War which proved to be not too civil a war after all."

"I give up...who is it."

"I can't give you the answer until you run out of questions, but here's a hint......his birthday is tomorrow - April 5th......Well not his actual birthday, you only get one of those - unless you're Buddhist or one of those religions - but the anniversary of his birthday, because if tomorrow were his real birthday he''d be too young - not Don Young - but too young to pitch or be a pitcher, although you want to get your kids throwing early so they can keep their arms in shape these days. Okay...so here's a another hint. He pitched - and pitched damn well - for the Louisville Colonels of the National League. Now that Colonels with a C....not with a K.....that's spelled kernals which I have always thought was a corny way to do it. Well this man broke into the bigs in September 1896 - when Benjamin Harrison was president. This is the Harrison that lived, his grandfather William Henry Harrison died after only a few weeks in office, pnuemonia I think although some claim he was poisoned due to his opposition to the Missouri Compromise - which really wasn't much of a compromise at all - more of a series of patchwork concessions. Well he started and lost his only performance on that fateful September day - never to be seen in the major leagues again - Charlie Emig the pitcher for Louisville that is - not William Henry Harrison, I don't know if William Henry Harrison pitched, or played ball at all but it's probably a pretty good guess that he didn't play too much after getting elected president because he either got sick or poisoned so soon thereafter - Don't know if he had a chance to teach his grandson anything about the game although I do know that his grandson never threw out the first ball of a game because that was done by Taft many years later."

"Is the answer - Charlie Emig?"

"Wow you're good at this Rooney!"

KingXerxes
04-05-2002, 03:11 PM

"Tomorrow is Ol' Charlie Emig's birthday???? That ol' dog. DJ make sure to send him one of those fruit baskets or something for his birthday......I used to hate to face Ol' Charlie. He'd stare down at you from that mound and you just knew he was gonna bust you inside with some mean stuff........Mercy..........Charlie Emig."

"A fruit basket?????? Are you nuts? This guy's probably been dead for 50 years! Come to think of it - if he played in 1896 and only pitched one game - how the hell did you ever face him?"

"Yep.....Charlie Emig........He's a good man DJ."

doublem23
04-05-2002, 03:25 PM
ROTFLMFAO!!!

I'm crying, I tells yeah!

FarWestChicago
04-05-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
ROTFLMFAO!!!

I'm crying, I tells yeah! I am absolutely dying here! I thought the R&F was damn good, but the Hawk & DJ chaser just did me in. :) :) :)

sox_fan_forever
04-05-2002, 04:44 PM
OMG, those are great!

:)