PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Haeger starting

letsgosox1592
07-22-2007, 12:49 PM
According to the Sox pregrame on mlb.com it says that Charlie Haeger will start game 2 of the double-header against the Detroit Tigers.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070721&content_id=2100293&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

MCHSoxFan
07-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Yes, that is 100% true. 2 days ago I went to whitesox.com. Then I went to news. Then Prob. Pitchers. Once again, CHARLIE IS PITCHING DURING GAME 2 OF THE DAY/NIGHT DH.

soxfanreggie
07-22-2007, 01:00 PM
That was likely when he was brought up...spot bullpen duty and spot starts in situations like this. He's throwing better each time out, let's see if that carries over to this start. He's pitched all 4 appearances on the road. Hopefully the crowd can get behind him and he can go at least 5 innings.

letsgosox1592
07-22-2007, 01:02 PM
That was likely when he was brought up...spot bullpen duty and spot starts in situations like this. He's throwing better each time out, let's see if that carries over to this start. He's pitched all 4 appearances on the road. Hopefully the crowd can get behind him and he can go at least 5 innings.

I think that what is going to happen is that if the sox use their bullpen a lot in the first game, then Charlie Haeger will be doing a mock up start and trying to pitch as long as he can no matter what the score is. Then if the Sox dont use their bullpen a lot, then he will be told to go as long as he can and once he starts getting in trouble he'll be yanked.

JB98
07-22-2007, 01:06 PM
I think that what is going to happen is that if the sox use their bullpen a lot in the first game, then Charlie Haeger will be doing a mock up start and trying to pitch as long as he can no matter what the score is. Then if the Sox dont use their bullpen a lot, then he will be told to go as long as he can and once he starts getting in trouble he'll be yanked.

Let's just hope Vazquez pitches well in the opener and gives us a least seven innings.

I'm a little surprised they don't send Day down and bring up Floyd to make the spot start. Haeger has been our best reliever on this trip.

Day is a waste of a roster spot right now.

letsgosox1592
07-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Let's just hope Vazquez pitches well in the opener and gives us a least seven innings.

I'm a little surprised they don't send Day down and bring up Floyd to make the spot start. Haeger has been our best reliever on this trip.

Day is a waste of a roster spot right now.

Why waste one of Floyd's options for one game. That was a mistake when they did that with him against Minny....but they also probably thought he was here to say cause that was right around when Buehrle was about to be traded.

JB98
07-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Why waste one of Floyd's options for one game. That was a mistake when they did that with him against Minny....but they also probably thought he was here to say cause that was right around when Buehrle was about to be traded.

That's not how the option rules work. An option lasts a whole year. When we sent him down to the minors this spring, that was his last option.

But since an option lasts a whole year, we can call him up and send him down 100 times this season if we wish without exposing him to waivers.

Next year, he's out of options regardless.

letsgosox1592
07-22-2007, 01:17 PM
That's not how the option rules work. An option lasts a whole year. When we sent him down to the minors this spring, that was his last option.

But since an option lasts a whole year, we can call him up and send him down 100 times this season if we wish without exposing him to waivers.

Next year, he's out of options regardless.

Oh...I thought every time getting sent down and up counted as one. Thankyou for clearing that up. So say that the Sox next spring have him start in Triple-A, would the sox have DFA him?

JB98
07-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Oh...I thought every time getting sent down and up counted as one. Thankyou for clearing that up. So say that the Sox next spring have him start in Triple-A, would the sox have DFA him?

If my understanding is correct, yes. That's what the Sox did with Luis Terrero at the end of the spring. No one claimed him, and he accepted the assignment to Charlotte.

Chicken Dinner
07-22-2007, 05:49 PM
I wonder if Charlie will still start on Tuesday or do you send Day down and get Floyd again?

ilsox7
07-22-2007, 05:50 PM
I wonder if Charlie will still start on Tuesday or do you send Day down and get Floyd again?

I'd rather see Haeger unless they commit to letting Floyd have the remainder of the year in the show.

Chicken Dinner
07-22-2007, 05:53 PM
I'd rather see Haeger unless they commit to letting Floyd have the remainder of the year in the show.

61 pitches today.

ilsox7
07-22-2007, 05:55 PM
61 pitches today.

The majority of which were knuckleballs. That's some of the added value a guy like Haeger brings. He can spot start and go pretty much every day out of the bullpen.

Tragg
07-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Let Floyd pitch - he owns AAA, but is hapless in the majors...the rest of the year is a good opportunity to see if he can work out his ML problems - or not. Even pen duty would help.

JB98
07-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Let Floyd pitch - he owns AAA, but is hapless in the majors...the rest of the year is a good opportunity to see if he can work out his ML problems - or not. Even pen duty would help.

I agree. As indicated, Floyd will be out of options next year. That means we need to find out THIS YEAR whether he has a future in our starting rotation.

There is still enough season left to give him 12 or 13 starts. That should be enough evaluation time for KW to made an educated decision about this guy.

A. Cavatica
07-22-2007, 08:24 PM
I hate to say it -- because I think Floyd sucks -- but you're right. We're looking at 2+ months of spring training now, and he should get some regular work.

Daver
07-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Yes, that is 100% true. 2 days ago I went to whitesox.com. Then I went to news. Then Prob. Pitchers. Once again, CHARLIE IS PITCHING DURING GAME 2 OF THE DAY/NIGHT DH.

That ought to be a hoot with AJ behind the plate.

CharlieN2008
07-22-2007, 11:52 PM
The majority of which were knuckleballs. That's some of the added value a guy like Haeger brings. He can spot start and go pretty much every day out of the bullpen.

Exactly, He can put the weight of the game on his shoulders every game. He could pitch every day. Although I am looking forward to his start on Tuesday.

ilsox7
07-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Exactly, He can put the weight of the game on his shoulders every game. He could pitch every day. Although I am looking forward to his start on Tuesday.

I'm not saying I want the game on his shoulders every day, just that in a pinch, he can go for a few days straight or make a spot start.

CharlieN2008
07-22-2007, 11:58 PM
I'm not saying I want the game on his shoulders every day, just that in a pinch, he can go for a few days straight or make a spot start.
I agree . I am saying basically that he can pitch everygame if he had too. I think he will be a big asset to the team in the months to come. As long as he has the opportunity to stay up in the "Bigs":smile:

Martinigirl
07-23-2007, 12:02 AM
That ought to be a hoot with AJ behind the plate.

Well, I am going to be at the game, so I am actually hoping for AJ because as interesting as AJ may make it, AJ is still better than watching Hall.

CharlieN2008
07-23-2007, 12:12 AM
Well, I am going to be at the game, so I am actually hoping for AJ because as interesting as AJ may make it, AJ is still better than watching Hall.
Its all good watching them catch for a Knuckleballer. EIther of them is fine. But you are correct. I would like to see A.J.

I am going to the second game that day to see Charlie Haeger "throw'em".

soxfanreggie
07-23-2007, 12:16 AM
Sure you're not Charlie's mom or brother? Just playing with you :tongue:. A knuckleballer does give you someone that can go out there a lot if need be.

CharlieN2008
07-23-2007, 12:20 AM
Sure you're not Charlie's mom or brother? Just playing with you :tongue:. A knuckleballer does give you someone that can go out there a lot if need be.
No... not family. I just know him becuase I live in Michigan and have followed him. since he left H.S

A. Cavatica
07-23-2007, 12:25 AM
Haeger will not get the start because he had to work so much in Boston. Expect Floyd.

ilsox7
07-23-2007, 12:29 AM
Haeger will not get the start because he had to work so much in Boston. Expect Floyd.

That is what the Tribune is reporting. Bothers me a bit, but then again we're really not at a point where we need to push a guy, I guess.

CharlieN2008
07-23-2007, 12:34 AM
You really think So? we will know tommorrow, and I :wink:will get my tickets for the game after that. I would hate to root for the Tigers If he doesn't pitch!! seeing that I am driving from Detroit.

CharlieN2008
07-23-2007, 12:42 AM
That is what the Tribune is reporting. Bothers me a bit, but then again we're really not at a point where we need to push a guy, I guess.
Yep they scratched him . Guess I will save about 500.00 now. and see the game on the boob tube.Sitting in my Lazy boy with my feet up!!!

ilsox7
07-23-2007, 12:43 AM
Yep they scratched him . Guess I will save about 500.00 now. and see the game on the boob tube.

$500?!?!?!

CharlieN2008
07-23-2007, 12:45 AM
$500?!?!?!
Yea 4 tickets, gas from Detroit, hotel, and of course beer!!!!! LOL:gulp:

ilsox7
07-23-2007, 12:47 AM
Yea 4 tickets, gas from Detroit, hotel, and of course beer!!!!! LOL:gulp:

Ah, it does add it up when you are doing 4 tix and have a stay over.

Nellie_Fox
07-23-2007, 02:11 AM
That ought to be a hoot with AJ behind the plate.AJ looks like he's swatting at a swarm of bees trying to catch Haeger. Is J.C. Martin still around?

Fenway
07-23-2007, 04:45 PM
“Charlie’s got a pretty good knuckleball,” Wakefield said. “I’ve seen him throw a couple of times on TV and was able to watch him throw (Saturday in relief) live and obviously today, though I really wasn’t paying a whole lot of attention. I was worried about my own game.

“But it’s nice to have a young guy come up through the ranks and do as well as he’s been doing. I know he watched me on the side the other day when they first got to town. Being able to share some knowledge with him hopefully helps him. . . . I’m glad to see there’s another member of the fraternity here.”

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=1012879