PDA

View Full Version : So what does "Boras-ized" mean here?

StillMissOzzie
07-22-2007, 02:52 AM
There's an interesting column by Jayson Stark on ESPN.com on the dearth of quality pitchers available at the 7/31 trading deadline. Topping the list is our own dearly beloved Jose Contreras. However, my question involves this little snippet:

The Mets have sent signals that they're now willing to move Mike Pelfrey (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7807) in a big deal. But an official of one team that has been scouting the Mets' system says: "To be honest, I don't know if I'd take Pelfrey right now, the way he's throwing. I think he's been [Scott] Boras-ized. I'm not seeing the same stuff I saw before. And he's showing a stubbornness that rubs me the wrong way, like [the Boras operation] has convinced him that their way is the better way. I'm seeing this with his guys all over now, and it's becoming a problem all over the industry."

So call me a dummy, a dolt, an ignoramus (no, not really), but the context here isn't clear to me. Just what does it mean to be "Boras-ized"?
1) To be over-hyped and over-valued by your agent?
2) To be hiding/minimizing an injury (not like we haven't seen THAT before)?
3) "Stubbornness that rubs me the wrong way" refer to what?

Inquiring minds want to know...

SMO
:?:

munchman33
07-22-2007, 04:13 PM
There's an interesting column by Jayson Stark on ESPN.com on the dearth of quality pitchers available at the 7/31 trading deadline. Topping the list is our own dearly beloved Jose Contreras. However, my question involves this little snippet:

The Mets have sent signals that they're now willing to move Mike Pelfrey (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7807) in a big deal. But an official of one team that has been scouting the Mets' system says: "To be honest, I don't know if I'd take Pelfrey right now, the way he's throwing. I think he's been [Scott] Boras-ized. I'm not seeing the same stuff I saw before. And he's showing a stubbornness that rubs me the wrong way, like [the Boras operation] has convinced him that their way is the better way. I'm seeing this with his guys all over now, and it's becoming a problem all over the industry."

So call me a dummy, a dolt, an ignoramus (no, not really), but the context here isn't clear to me. Just what does it mean to be "Boras-ized"?

SMO

He's probably trying to throw without giving it his all, in an attempt to not get injured. That's my best guess.

oeo
07-22-2007, 04:23 PM
I'd be wary of the very few prospects the Mets do have. But, for Contreras, I'll take anything.

pearso66
07-22-2007, 09:43 PM
He's probably trying to throw without giving it his all, in an attempt to not get injured. That's my best guess.

That was my guess. He's playing under his capabilities, in order to not get injured.

RadioheadRocks
07-22-2007, 10:00 PM

SMO

Once Boras gets a hold of a player some sort of Stepford Wives effect comes over them.

"I'll just DIE if I don't get that contract... I'll just DIE if I don't get that contract... I'll just DIE if I don't get that contract... I'll just DIE if..."

:rolling:

gosox41
07-22-2007, 10:19 PM

That's what I think. JD Drew is an example of a selfish guy with no heart.

Bob