PDA

View Full Version : So our VP/GM said that the

Chicken Dinner
07-21-2007, 11:43 PM
2005 WS was based on pitching and defense. What changed the direction? A bullpen that can't get an out. An offense that can't bunt. I don't get the new philosophy. Help me here. 108 million dollars for a bunch of crap. :angry::angry:

ThomesHomie
07-22-2007, 02:21 AM
2005 WS was based on pitching and defense. What changed the direction? A bullpen that can't get an out. An offense that can't bunt. I don't get the new philosophy. Help me here. 108 million dollars for a bunch of crap. :angry::angry:

2007 was based on 2006, and 2006 was based on 2005, we forgot though baseball changes each year and some players can't get it done year after year.

We just need to get the team back to the old 2005 days, where we had scrubs playing for us, then we can fly under that radar. :smile:

ChiSoxFan7
07-22-2007, 10:01 AM
I really don't think he changed it. Circumstances kinda changed it...

im sure kw didn't expect for EVERY single reliever to have an awful year (save for jenks) and every offensive player to be in a year long slump and im positive he thought one of his gambles (pods or erstad or any other outfielder we throw out there) would have worked or at least held the flood waters. This year was just a bad year. Kenny's not dumb, he'll make a trade and/or sign some FA's.

As many have said before me...

In Kenny we TRUST!:)

Grzegorz
07-22-2007, 10:11 AM
2005 WS was based on pitching and defense. What changed the direction? A bullpen that can't get an out. An offense that can't bunt. I don't get the new philosophy.

This team was built around power as it was in 2005. The difference is the 2005 team could pitch, play the fundamentals, was aggressive, and was lucky (as are all teams that win).

Now, the powers has been on sabbatical for most of the year, the bullpen is atrocious, the execution of fundamentals are poor, and they been unlucky.

The Chicago White Sox are built according to their park. It is a hitters park so you'll see powers weighted heavily in how the team is comprised.

Remember, the power component of any baseball team is not mutually exclusive from execution of the fundamentals, effective base path aggressiveness, or pitching (starting or relief).

Lip Man 1
07-22-2007, 10:26 AM
I think the idea that because you have a hitters park you have to have home run hitters is overrated greatly.

Pitching and defense win titles. Home run hitters certainly helps, I'm not dismissing it, but you need a BALANCE in your lineup or you get what has been happening since July 2006.

When ALL you can do is slam home runs, you're in deep trouble because most of the time, you don't hit them and you have to be able to score runs in other ways.

Lip

Grzegorz
07-22-2007, 10:34 AM
Lip,

I am not saying that I would build a team in that manner, but the 2005 White Sox relied on power (in the top three or four teams in the AL I believe).

You know, I don't have to tell you or any other WSI insider, that building a championship baseball club cannot be done by weighing one component heavily at the expense of another.

itsnotrequired
07-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Lip,

I am not saying that I would build a team in that manner, but the 2005 White Sox relied on power (in the top three or four teams in the AL I believe).

You know, I don't have to tell you or any other WSI insider, that building a championship baseball club cannot be done by weighing one component heavily at the expense of another.

The 2005 Sox were 5th in the AL in HRs but were tied for 8th in SLG. I wouldn't say they were a power team.

Lip Man 1
07-22-2007, 07:58 PM
The 2005 White Sox were also first in the league in sacrifice bunts and sacrifice fly's.

BALANCE folks...balance.

Lip