PDA

View Full Version : Andy Gonzalez-***?

ndgt10
07-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Why is he on the team? He is absolutely brutal at the plate. It looks like he's hitting the ball with a wiffle bat up there. Terrible, terrible, terrible. Send his ass down and bring back up Sweeney.

And i'm sick of looking at that "baby face." :angry::angry::angry::angry:

:angry::angry::angry::angry:

chisoxmike
07-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Who else is there?

ndgt10
07-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Who else is there?
Sweeney.

Sweeney.

Sweeney.

JB98
07-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Why is he on the team? He is absolutely brutal at the plate. It looks like he's hitting the ball with a wiffle bat up there. Terrible, terrible, terrible. Send his ass down and bring back up Sweeney.

And i'm sick of looking at that "baby face." :angry::angry::angry::angry:

:angry::angry::angry::angry:

He's here for his versatility. Unless you want to see Mackowiak in the infield, they have to keep him around. We have too many outfielders and not much in the infield.

I miss Pablo Ozuna.

kittle42
07-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Sweeney.

Sweeney.

Sweeney.

Amen.

Andy Gonzalez is not a major leaguer.

Even at this low point, I question what the hell the Sox are doing sometimes.

kittle42
07-21-2007, 06:12 PM
He's here for his versatility. Unless you want to see Mackowiak in the infield, they have to keep him around. We have too many outfielders and not much in the infield.

I miss Pablo Ozuna.

I'd let Mack play the IF in exchange for seeing what Sweeney has.

JB98
07-21-2007, 06:13 PM

Fair enough. As long as your willing to accept that trade-off, it's a legitimate point of view.

Mr. White Sox
07-21-2007, 06:15 PM

Same here. It was only a matter of time until Gonzalez fell off a cliff, and it happened just as Mackowiak started heating up. I'd like to see Sweeney and someone like Egbert called up to replace Day (or Bukvich) and Gonzalez.

MCHSoxFan
07-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Now, I would rather see Mack over AG. I want Pablo back ASAP (Yes, I know he is injured). However, I do like Ryan. Hey, next season, I may take him over Dye in RF.

chisoxmike
07-21-2007, 06:19 PM
I want Pablo back ASAP (Yes, I know he is injured). .

You're going to be waiting for a while.

UserNameBlank
07-21-2007, 06:20 PM
I'd keep him as a backup IF if anyone wanted Cintron. Otherwise I agree; he shouldn't be in the OF. Not that he's bad there defensively, but Sweeney should be playing now and Andy should go down. We have 2 spots open in the OF with Podsengrind on the DL and only one of them is being used. Mack, as a UT guy, could pick up AB's everywhere except C and SS until he's traded. When he is you call up Andy again and make him the UT guy.

JB98
07-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Same here. It was only a matter of time until Gonzalez fell off a cliff, and it happened just as Mackowiak started heating up. I'd like to see Sweeney and someone like Egbert called up to replace Day (or Bukvich) and Gonzalez.

The frightening thing is I've seen some people here mention they'd like to see Gonzalez get an everyday shot at SS. Yikes! :o:

Maybe that's just the anti-Uribe venom growing, but I'm totally miffed that anyone would see Gonzalez as a key part of our future.

UserNameBlank
07-21-2007, 06:26 PM
The frightening thing is I've seen some people here mention they'd like to see Gonzalez get an everyday shot at SS. Yikes! :o:

Maybe that's just the anti-Uribe venom growing, but I'm totally miffed that anyone would see Gonzalez as a key part of our future.
If it meant the end of Juan Uribe I'd be all for it and it has nothing to do with Andy's future. If Juan goes then at least the Sox will HAVE to make an upgrade. As it is I fear the Sox will stick with Juan through the year and then over the offseason say "there's nothing better out there" and bring Juan back for '08. I just want this guy off the team now.

chisoxmike
07-21-2007, 06:34 PM
This had been gone over many times, but, for those of you who want Uribe gone, realistically, who replaces him?

Chicken Dinner
07-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Give me a ****ing break. The entire pitching staff tonight were rookies. Andy hit just as well as anyone else and doesn't get paid near as much as "Mr. I want a contract extension". Kenny will fix it, yeah right! :o:

JB98
07-21-2007, 06:35 PM
This had been gone over many times, but, for those of you who want Uribe gone, realistically, who replaces him?

David Eckstein is probably the best answer I've seen anyone give.

UserNameBlank
07-21-2007, 06:39 PM
That's up to our GM, but he needs to find someone. I'm sure it shouldn't be much of a problem either as long as he actually wants to do something about it. Just look at the Royals who got Tony Pena, Jr. for nothing. He's got an OBP of .292 and has barely any power, but he brings very good D, some speed, and he can handle the bat. Most of all he isn't lazy. It's not like we need a guy to hit 30 homers and drive in 100 runs from SS. We just need someone better with the bat than Juan, who is absolutely pathetic with the stick.

DrCrawdad
07-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Give me a ****ing break. The entire pitching staff tonight were rookies. Andy hit just as well as anyone else and doesn't get paid near as much as "Mr. I want a contract extension". Kenny will fix it, yeah right! :o:

Well you're right and todays loss does not fall solely on AG, but that does not change the fact he should not be on this team. It's way past time, send down AG, we've seen more than enough of your pathetic AB. Play Sweeney.

DrCrawdad
07-21-2007, 06:41 PM
That's up to our GM, but he needs to find someone. I'm sure it shouldn't be much of a problem either as long as he actually wants to do something about it. Just look at the Royals who got Tony Pena, Jr. for nothing. He's got an OBP of .292 and has barely any power, but he brings very good D, some speed, and he can handle the bat. Most of all he isn't lazy. It's not like we need a guy to hit 30 homers and drive in 100 runs from SS. We just need someone better with the bat than Juan, who is absolutely pathetic with the stick.

I'm so tired of Uribe's wild swings for the fence. Our bench is horrible though and we've had virtually zero positive contributions from our call-ups.

Chicken Dinner
07-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Well you're right and todays loss does not fall solely on AG, but that does not change the fact he should not be on this team. It's way past time, send down AG, we've seen more than enough of your pathetic AB. Play Sweeney.

Talk to the VP/GM!:angry:

CLR01
07-21-2007, 08:01 PM

I miss Pablo Ozuna.

I could actually buy that if he was playing the infield and not getting 90% of his at bats in the OF.

DrCrawdad
07-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Bye Andy....

If Owens stays, utility player Andy Gonzalez and outfielder Luis Terrero could be in jeopardy. Gonzalez has options and is hitless in his last 19 at-bats, but Terrero would have to clear waivers to be sent to Charlotte.

santo=dorf
07-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Bye Andy....
Hmm, looking back, it does appear Terrero signed a major league deal.

From the end of Spring Training:
White Sox sent outfielder Luis Terrero outright to Triple-A Charlotte.

Terrero loses out because of the decision to keep Brian Anderson. He hit .250/.289/.444 in 36 at-bats this spring. He has the option of becoming a free agent.

So at that time Terrero cleared waivers. I don't think he'll clear them this time however.

Tragg
07-21-2007, 11:09 PM
Just look at the Royals who got Tony Pena, Jr. for nothing. He's got an OBP of .292 and has barely any power, but he brings very good D, some speed, and he can handle the bat. Most of all he isn't lazy. It's not like we need a guy to hit 30 homers and drive in 100 runs from SS. We just need someone better with the bat than Juan, who is absolutely pathetic with the stick.
What is a .292 obp with no power, if not pathetic? I don't know what's wrong with Uribe (and perhaps nothing - what you see is what you get) but his 10-15 homers with his .295 obp distinguished him from the penas and neffis.

QCIASOXFAN
07-22-2007, 12:09 AM
Why can't the Sox ever have a rookie position player come up and make an impact?? Not a big impcat, just contribute for ****s sake. I thought about this as I was watching the Saux vs Sox game and looking at their second basemen Dustin Pedroia. The guy has 91 hits in 82 games this year and is hitting .320! Look at Dan Uggla and Hanley Ramirez last year. I don't even reamember the last rookie that came up and made ANY noise.

HotelWhiteSox
07-22-2007, 12:19 AM
Fair enough. As long as your willing to accept that trade-off, it's a legitimate point of view.

The season's over, trade-offs like this shouldn't even be an issue

A. Cavatica
07-22-2007, 12:56 AM
I don't even reamember the last rookie that came up and made ANY noise.

The last rookie position players to make some noise?

Magglio in 1997.
Singleton and Lee in 1999.
Rowand in 2001.
Gload in 2004 (did he qualify as a rookie)?
Iguchi in 2005.

kittle42
07-22-2007, 01:16 AM

Trade? Free agent? These are actual things GMs can do.

kittle42
07-22-2007, 01:18 AM

I must have gone deaf, because I failed to hear that one.

QCIASOXFAN
07-22-2007, 02:10 AM

Magglio in 1997.
Singleton and Lee in 1999.
Rowand in 2001.
Iguchi in 2005.
If you look at the stats Lee is the last one to make any noise as a rookie, followed closely by Maggs. I forgot all about Gooch, but he doesn't count because he didn't come up through the farm system. It just seems like it takes forever for our young guys to pan out, if they do at all. Sorry to hijack the thread but its like watching the same show over and over again.

ThomesHomie
07-22-2007, 02:20 AM
Who else is there?

Brian Anderson, yeah I'll take him with an injury

Willie Harris, no matter what team has him, he has a no play policy if the sox want him. Meaning he can refuse to play for any team that has him signed at that moment.

Cousin Carl Everrett, yeah I spelled his name wrong, its 2am sue me. Carl will come to play, and he will also jump up on the top railing and yell at the other manages, players, and hot dog vendor if he has to.

Three top candidates.

A. Cavatica
07-22-2007, 07:16 AM
I must have gone deaf, because I failed to hear that one.

Batted .321 and 7th in Rookie of the Year voting.

JB98
07-22-2007, 12:17 PM
I could actually buy that if he was playing the infield and not getting 90% of his at bats in the OF.

Sure, but if you send Gonzalez down, you have only Cintron left as an extra infielder. That limits your options, unless you're willing to put Mackowiak in the infield.

As long as the Sox are willing to utilize Mack as their sixth infielder, as well as their fourth outfielder, see ya later Gonzalez.

kittle42
07-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Batted .321 and 7th in Rookie of the Year voting.

In that case, include Shingo. He was 2nd that year. They both suck.

A. Cavatica
07-22-2007, 03:10 PM
In that case, include Shingo. He was 2nd that year. They both suck.

I didn't realize Shingo was a position player...

CLR01
07-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Sure, but if you send Gonzalez down, you have only Cintron left as an extra infielder. That limits your options, unless you're willing to put Mackowiak in the infield.

As long as the Sox are willing to utilize Mack as their sixth infielder, as well as their fourth outfielder, see ya later Gonzalez.

If the Sox are going to use him strictly as an emergency infielder who plays in the outfield, as they are with Gonzalez, then fine. I would much rather see Sweeney in the outfield and Mack getting the occasional start at 3B/LF/RF than Andy.

kittle42
07-22-2007, 04:32 PM
I didn't realize Shingo was a position player...

Didn't see that qualification until now.

soxinem1
07-22-2007, 07:43 PM
It seemed to me that Uribe hit his best when he had to earn his playing time. When we first got him, he played 2B, SS, and 3B. He almost made the All-Star team in 2004, and played hungry.

Now he looks like he's just got done eating. And Gonzalez is not the answer.

I'd put Richar at short the rest of the year and make Uribe the backup/utility guy. Maybe it'll light a fire under his uncoachable ass when he realizes he may be working on a $500K contract in ST with the Nationals next year.

UserNameBlank
07-22-2007, 10:43 PM
What is a .292 obp with no power, if not pathetic? I don't know what's wrong with Uribe (and perhaps nothing - what you see is what you get) but his 10-15 homers with his .295 obp distinguished him from the penas and neffis.
At least Pena can lay down a bunt, make contact, etc. and he doesn't look as terrible as Juan does at the plate. At least Pena can move a runner over and actually do the little things that you'd expect a no. 9 hitter to be able to do. I love Juan's power and his defense when he feels like playing it, but I'm sick of seeing 70% effort on defense and 10% effort on offense. Give me a guy who plays hard, knows his role, shuts his mouth, and layeths the bunteth down when he needs to.

kitekrazy
07-23-2007, 01:22 AM
Why can't the Sox ever have a rookie position player come up and make an impact?? Not a big impcat, just contribute for ****s sake. I thought about this as I was watching the Saux vs Sox game and looking at their second basemen Dustin Pedroia. The guy has 91 hits in 82 games this year and is hitting .320! Look at Dan Uggla and Hanley Ramirez last year. I don't even reamember the last rookie that came up and made ANY noise.

I'm thinking this season has also exposed a deteriorating minor league system. Maybe they need to examine the scouting and coaching at that level.

soxrme
07-23-2007, 09:25 AM
I'm thinking this season has also exposed a deteriorating minor league system. Maybe they need to examine the scouting and coaching at that level.
We had a good system, brought up Maggs, Lee, Crede etc. We got rid of the guy who found them and also Ventura, Thomas and that group. KW has been in charge and we have gone downhill. He got nothing for Lee and Maggs and gave up Rowand too soon in my mind. Philly had to do something with Thome and maybe we could have got him for less. We also had a guy named Thomas on the roster and got rid of him also for nothing. Too many bad decisions.

kittle42
07-23-2007, 10:57 AM
We had a good system, brought up Maggs, Lee, Crede etc. We got rid of the guy who found them and also Ventura, Thomas and that group. KW has been in charge and we have gone downhill. He got nothing for Lee and Maggs and gave up Rowand too soon in my mind. Philly had to do something with Thome and maybe we could have got him for less. We also had a guy named Thomas on the roster and got rid of him also for nothing. Too many bad decisions.

Thomas was worth nothing at the time. Probably really still is.

The Lee trade, like it or not, got rid of the "swing for the fences" lineup and arguably won the World Series. Get over it.

Ordonez was an injury risk and a close call.

I would have traded Aaron Rowand for Jim Thome any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

How's your hindsight? 20/20?

soxinem1
07-23-2007, 11:37 AM

I wouldn't even say deteriorating, as vastly over-rated and over-estimated is more accurate. Our record at producing even decent MLB caliber players in the past five years blows.

ndgt10
08-15-2007, 03:16 PM
I can't believe Andy Gonzalez is still on this team. I hate him so much.

FielderJones
08-15-2007, 03:33 PM
I can't believe Andy Gonzalez is still on this team. I hate him so much.

Not only still on this team, but leading off? ***!

The Immigrant
08-15-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm not a fan of the guy by any means, but he has a higher OBP than any leadoff candidate other than Podsednik. Isn't that primarily how a leadoff hitter should be measured?

God, here I am defending Ozzie's decision to play Angel Friggin' Gonzales. This season cannot end soon enough.

FielderJones
08-15-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm not a fan of the guy by any means, but he has a higher OBP than any leadoff candidate other than Podsednik. Isn't that primarily how a leadoff hitter should be measured?

I suppose Pods could have been inserted at leadoff. I think he has some experience at that.

rowand33
08-15-2007, 03:58 PM
I suppose Pods could have been inserted at leadoff. I think he has some experience at that.

yeah, seriously. I'm fine with batting Pods lower in the lineup when Owens is playing since we're trying to see what Owens can give us there, but batting Pods lower to let andy gonzalez lead off?

That's ridiculous.

RCWHITESOX
08-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Who else is there?

Can you suit up. I can't imagine it could be much worse.

DMarte708
08-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Thomas was worth nothing at the time. Probably really still is.

The Lee trade, like it or not, got rid of the "swing for the fences" lineup and arguably won the World Series. Get over it.

Ordonez was an injury risk and a close call.

I would have traded Aaron Rowand for Jim Thome any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

How's your hindsight? 20/20?
Uh, no.

First off, limiting the "swing for the fences" lineup had less to do with our championship than the pitching staff.

Second, the point you forget to mention concerning Lee was his departure made it possible to sign Pierzynski and Hernandez. Podsednik grinding himself around the bases didn't mean much on its own.

soltrain21
08-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Second, the point you forget to mention concerning Lee was his departure made it possible to sign Pierzynski and Hernandez. Podsednik grinding himself around the bases didn't mean much on its own.

..and Iguchi.

You don't think having a TRUE leadoff hitter that had an amazing year and got into opposing pitcher's heads wasn't important in the pure dominance that was the 2005 White Sox?

Our pitching staff was, in every sense of the word, amazing...but having Pods at the top of the lineup in 2005 was pivotal.

DMarte708
08-15-2007, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't even say deteriorating, as vastly over-rated and over-estimated is more accurate. Our record at producing even decent MLB caliber players in the past five years blows.
I wouldn't say deteriorating either, because that would suggest at one point our minor league sytem was good. It hasn't provided a steady stream of talent since the early 90's.

Here's one noticeable problem with our system -- can anyone tell me the last Latin American player we've produced? For an area of the world responsible for 20% of major league players, it's absolutely pathetic that since Lee and Ordonez have been promoted, not even a Neifi Perez clone has made it.

bigfoot
08-15-2007, 07:08 PM
I wouldn't say deteriorating either, because that would suggest at one point our minor league sytem was good. It hasn't provided a steady stream of talent since the early 90's.

Here's one noticeable problem with our system -- can anyone tell me the last Latin American player we've produced? For an area of the world responsible for 20% of major league players, it's absolutely pathetic that since Lee and Ordonez have been promoted, not even a Neifi Perez clone has made it.

Is THAT why Neifi got suspended? Or was that really Neifi?
Send in the Clones !!!:whistle: