PDA

View Full Version : 08 Salaries?

getonbckthr
07-21-2007, 02:54 PM
I was looking at the salaries for next season and I don't know but to me it appears the Sox will have more to spend than we think. Contracts off the books from this season are: Dye-7 mil, Iguchi- 3.25, Cintron- 1.9, Erstad 3.5 (250,000 buyout), Mackowiak 3.25 (300,000 buyout), Podsednik 3 million and Uribe at 4.15 (300,000 buyout). Also with Contreras, 10 million, who realistically shouldn't be here factor in 1 million in buyouts and that opens up 36 million. I see about 9-10 million in increases to current roster players. Leaving about 26 million to fill LF, CF, RF, 2B, SS 5th starter and RP. 4 of those spot could and should be filled by using 1.5 million (2B-Richar, CF-Owens, LF or RF-Sweeney, 5th SP- Gio or Floyd). 24 million to get a SS, OF and some much needed bullpen help. Bullpen wise this is what we will have next season for sure (in my eyes) Jenks, Thornton, Macdougal, Logan and Haegar. So based on that we would need 2 RP. Figure between the RP's you'll spend 4 million. Backup OF could be either Anderson or Terrero and backup IF Pablo and Gonzalez for 2 million. We should be looking at 18 million for a starting SS and an OF. A guy like Eckstein should cost about 5 million (as long as he leaves STL). 13 million for an OF. This is all assuming the Sox don't either increase od decrease salary. Also assuming we keep Crede at like 6 million. If we move him (which I doubt) that would increase our budget for an outfielder that much more.
Alot of this could just be jumble to you guys. I was pretty bored waiting for the game to start.

Lip Man 1
07-21-2007, 06:44 PM
I recently saw a blurb in one of the newspapers that said the Sox had eight players under contract for roughly 65 million or so. I honestly don't remember...maybe it was 85 million.

I read it and got the sense that without some 'creative' approaches there may not be a lot of room next season.

Lip

getonbckthr
07-21-2007, 06:48 PM
I recently saw a blurb in one of the newspapers that said the Sox had eight players under contract for roughly 65 million or so. I honestly don't remember...maybe it was 85 million.

I read it and got the sense that without some 'creative' approaches there may not be a lot of room next season.

Lip
This is the site I got my salary info from:
mlb4u.com

AJ Hellraiser
07-21-2007, 07:00 PM
http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-white-sox.html

That's the site I get my salary info. from... if my math is right we have roughly $89 million on the books already...

Now, if they can move Jose's $10 mill that would bring it down to $79 mill

santo=dorf
07-21-2007, 07:06 PM

Lip
11 players at $85 million. (http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2804/soxplayercontractsheetubx9.jpg) But $5.5 million off of Thome's contract

KW really has his work cut out for him.

ma-gaga
07-21-2007, 08:54 PM
11 players at $85 million. (http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2804/soxplayercontractsheetubx9.jpg) But $5.5 million off of Thome's contract

That's a freaking sweet salary cheat sheet. Does he/she have that info for any other teams??

My sheet hasn't been updated in 8 months, so please be kind. I'll tweak it later:

http://www.tc.umn.edu/%7Edunca016/WSI%202007%20WSox%20Payroll.jpg

santo=dorf
07-21-2007, 09:06 PM
It was put together by Kalapse over at Soxtalk. Along with some help of others, I believe he got all the info from mlb4u.com

getonbckthr
07-21-2007, 09:18 PM

Ya I wanted to do something like this but didn't have the patience to. There is money there to be had though like Contreras and his 10 million. So without Jose and with either Gio or Floyd its 11 guys at 69. So that would leave us 33 million for 14 guys. You factor in guys like sweeney and Owens who have to be here next year they just have to be and a 4th OF whether its Terrero or Anderson thats another million. So 11 guys and 32 million. Now add in Jenks, Logan and hopefully Richar to replace Iguchi thats 3 more guys at 1 million leaving us 31 million for 8 guys. I can't imagine Crede getting much of a raise cause he didnt do much this season while he was here then he got hurt. So lock him in at another 5 million. We are at 26 million over 7 guys.
Does that make sense to anyone?:D:

santo=dorf
07-21-2007, 09:25 PM
How about we just non-tender Crede and save the $5+ million?

getonbckthr
07-21-2007, 09:28 PM
How about we just non-tender Crede and save the $5+ million?
Thats a decision that makes me happy not to be Kenny. almost a damned if you do, damned if you don't.

gosox41
07-21-2007, 11:40 PM
Thats a decision that makes me happy not to be Kenny. almost a damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I can see KW doing that. And I can see it being a huge mistake. The only reason to non-tender Crede is if he's given a physical and they see his back is shot and he can't play 3B or swing a bat.

Anything else, you should keep him and look to trade him come next July because the way things look right this second, contending seems unrealistic.

Bob

Domeshot17
07-22-2007, 03:54 AM
Another thing is Crede won't be getting another 5 million dollar contract next year. After a year of poor numbers and back surgery, Im guessin we are looking at 2-3 mil, which is a fine risk. Ideally, he comes back and takes over 3rd with a force and Fields is shifted back to the OF to keep his improving bat in the lineup.

ilsox7
07-22-2007, 03:56 AM
Another thing is Crede won't be getting another 5 million dollar contract next year. After a year of poor numbers and back surgery, Im guessin we are looking at 2-3 mil, which is a fine risk. Ideally, he comes back and takes over 3rd with a force and Fields is shifted back to the OF to keep his improving bat in the lineup.

Pretty certain he cannot take more than a 20% pay cut per the CBA. My guess is he comes back at a similar salary.

StillMissOzzie
07-22-2007, 04:02 AM
http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-white-sox.html

That's the site I get my salary info. from... if my math is right we have roughly $89 million on the books already...

Now, if they can move Jose's $10 mill that would bring it down to $79 mill

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Sox are gonna have to eat some of the Contreras contract if they are gonna unload him this year, based on how he's been pitching lately.

SMO
:gulp:

Nellie_Fox
07-22-2007, 04:05 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion that the Sox are gonna have to eat some of the Contreras contract if they are gonna unload him this year, based on how he's been pitching lately.I suspect they'll have to eat most of it.

soxfanreggie
07-22-2007, 12:26 PM
1.) I'm not so certain I want to get rid of Iguchi unless we can sign someone better. I'm thinking he's having a bad season, but I don't think that's reflective of a drop in skill.

2.) I can't wait til Mack is off the books. We can replace him with someone making a lot less and use that money to sign a good OF.

3.) Get anyone interested in Contreras...Seattle, Dodgers, Mets...do it auction style. We may have to eat a big portion of the $20+ million left for the rest of '07 and on, but it would free up some working room.

4.) I never want to hear the name Dewon Day again. Is the only reason we have him up here to take the brunt of another team when they're beating us handily? He has a 12.27 ERA in 12 games, only lasting 11 IP. He has walked more than he's K'd. The only good thing is he's only given up 1 HR, but that doesn't matter much when you give up more than a run per IP.

getonbckthr
07-22-2007, 12:30 PM
1.) I'm not so certain I want to get rid of Iguchi unless we can sign someone better. I'm thinking he's having a bad season, but I don't think that's reflective of a drop in skill.

Richar appears to be ready. Kenny and Ozzie also appear to love the kid as well.

Taliesinrk
07-22-2007, 12:38 PM

Luis Castillo?

jabrch
07-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Pretty certain he cannot take more than a 20% pay cut per the CBA. My guess is he comes back at a similar salary.

He can take as large a paycut as he chooses. But if he goes to arbitration, the most the paycut can be is 20%. Is his agent still Boras? If so, I don't see him agreeing to skip arbitration and take a pay cut of more than the worst case scenario from arbitration.

ilsox7
07-22-2007, 02:33 PM
He can take as large a paycut as he chooses. But if he goes to arbitration, the most the paycut can be is 20%. Is his agent still Boras? If so, I don't see him agreeing to skip arbitration and take a pay cut of more than the worst case scenario from arbitration.

Yea. There is no way a guy would take a larger pay cut voluntarily when he can simply go to arbitration and guarantee a floor.

santo=dorf
07-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Yea. There is no way a guy would take a larger pay cut voluntarily when he can simply go to arbitration and guarantee a floor.
I'm not sure if the Tigers were going to go to arbitration with him, but Sean Casey took a big paycut to stay with the Tigers this year.

Hitmen77
07-22-2007, 11:54 PM
That's a freaking sweet salary cheat sheet. Does he/she have that info for any other teams??

My sheet hasn't been updated in 8 months, so please be kind. I'll tweak it later:

So, for '08 we might be seeing the following salaries off the books: Uribe ($4.15 mil), Iguchi (3.25), Pods (2.90), Dye (6.00), Cintron (1.90), Mackowiak (2.75), Erstad (1.00) and Contreras (10.00).
total -31.95 million

Of course, you would then have to replace those players. Many of these guys will probably be replaced by players making the league minimum (Sweeney, Richar, Floyd/Gio). However, we'll need at least one veteran outfielder and someone to play either SS or 2B. Also, there is the obvious question of whether we'll have to eat part of Jose's salary....and of course, we need some bullpen help (understatement of the year).

In addition at least the following players get raises in '08 : Garland (+2.00), Vazquez (+1.5? - compared to portion paid by Sox this year), AJ (+1.00), Buehrle (+4.5 million) total +9.00 million

So, saying goodbye to all the players above would leave us with a net payroll reduction of 22.25 million. What could the Sox do with this to fill in holes in the OF, SS, and bullpen?

Not factored in here is how much the Sox total payroll will drop for next year due to lower ticket sales. Some of that decline may be offset by the Sox getting their share of revenues from the new Fox/TBS deal and the MLB Extra Innings deal made with cable and satellite companies.

EDIT: I apparently can't add because my intitial totals were way off. Maybe these make more sense. If not, feel free to correct.