PDA

View Full Version : 2007- Why?

MCHSoxFan
07-20-2007, 10:58 PM
2007, why? Why are we playing this bad. I do not mean we are bad because of the offense, the defense, the bullpen, ETC. I mean why are those areas bad? Is it just that everyone is having a bad year at the same time? Is it the coaching staff? Ozzie? Does anyone have any idea? Personally, I think this is just an off year or a bad year. Also, do you think this can be turned around in 2008 if it just a bad year?

delben91
07-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Just off the top of my head (and this is admittedly a very simplistic view of the situation):

1) Relying too heavily on too many offensive players with injury histories, who then ended up injured (shockingly).

2) Assuming potential in the bullpen would result in performance. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. This time it didn't.

Combine that with a slow start from most of the typically steady offensive performers (Konerko, Pierzynski) and the result is this.

The team doesn't need a complete overhaul, the starters are solid, and there are a few offensive pieces to build around. The rest, well, we'll see what Kenny and company come up with.

veeter
07-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Kenny AND the Sox were due for a stinker year. The Sox have been so good and consistent for so long, that it was bound to happen. That being said, it can be turned around quickly, IMO. We leaned on Frank Thomas for 15+ years. We need to find someone else to lean on.

letsgosox1592
07-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Kenny AND the Sox were due for a stinker year. The Sox have been so good and consistent for so long, that it was bound to happen. That being said, it can be turned around quickly, IMO. We leaned on Frank Thomas for 15+ years. We need to find someone else to lean on.

That someone(s) are going to be either/both Ryan Sweeney, and Josh Fields. They are the future of the Sox and if the sox were smart they would build their offense around Owens, Sweeney, and Fields, while build the pitch staff around Danks, Buehrle, and Gonzalez, and Jenks in the Bullpen. Thats a start. The sox might struggle for a yaer of 2 but if the Sox follow this plan they would be in playoff contention by 2009, maybe even next year.

peeonwrigley
07-21-2007, 01:47 AM
Because it all went right in '05

Patrick134
07-21-2007, 02:09 AM
Slumps, injuries, bullpen.

FarWestChicago
07-21-2007, 07:45 AM
Because a few WSI members don't own, general manage and coach the team. If they did, we would win 162 every year. Just ask them. :redneck

MCHSoxFan
07-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Slumps, injuries, bullpen.

That is exctly what I was thinking. Everything than can go wrong, will.

So really, if the injuries are gone next season, we already will have a BETTER chance. I am not saying we will win the A.L. Central. I am not saying that because Pods and Erstad could be healthy, and unfortunately, play real bad.

MCHSoxFan
07-21-2007, 11:41 AM
That someone(s) are going to be either/both Ryan Sweeney, and Josh Fields. They are the future of the Sox and if the sox were smart they would build their offense around Owens, Sweeney, and Fields, while build the pitch staff around Danks, Buehrle, and Gonzalez, and Jenks in the Bullpen. Thats a start. The sox might struggle for a yaer of 2 but if the Sox follow this plan they would be in playoff contention by 2009, maybe even next year.

Good point. In fact, I really do not mind Ryan and Fields. Josh just is not like Crede...yet. :D: However, I would prefer to have Crede at thrid. I just wish Pods and Ersatd will be health next season. The WHOLE season and play a least 90% of their portentional. I would take them playing 100% any day, but I am not sure if that would happen. Just wondering, would you take Ryan over JD in RF if we could get someone really good back?

Cuck_The_Fubs
07-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Old Man Contreras. If we didn't let 13 runs in the first game, this team would have much more confidence.
:rolleyes:

johnny_mostil
07-21-2007, 11:47 AM

That, and the fact that the talent flowing into the organization (farm system) has been a trickle while the talent leaving the organization (and aging out) has been significant. Kenny Williams has rearranged the deck chairs at the big league level magnificently, and even won a championship, despite a steadily decaying overall organizational talent base.

But the team has gotten shallower and shallower, and is unable to deal with injuries or any other significant performance impacts. Example: When Andy Marte failed in Cleveland, they plugged in Casey Blake and covered RF with rookies who hit .320. When Brian Anderson failed in Chicago, they covered the hole with Darin Estad and Jerry Owens.

There's an obvious difference there.

This was all clear before the season started but nobody wanted to believe it.

MetroPD
07-21-2007, 12:07 PM
We have good players, but not a single grab by the horns locker room leader.

MCHSoxFan
07-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Old Man Contreras. If we didn't let 13 runs in the first game, this team would have much more confidence.
:rolleyes:

Okay, you just made me what to make a point I have had since the middle of the 2006 season. The way you play on Opening Day ALMOST sums up how your season would play-out. For example, in 2005 we won on OD. We won 1-0. We had a GREAT start from MB and JUST enough offense to get a win. In 2006, we won the game. Thome hit a homerun. MB gave up more runs, however, the Sox scored a ton to win. Lastly. In 2007, JC gave up a ton of runs in the first and second innings. This is one of the areas where he has been having trouble in. I cannot say that the offense was bad. I mean, the White Sox did score 5 runs. However, there was no rally like we would have had in 2005 and even in 2006. At least the first half of 2006. Sounds like a PRETTY good theory. I am not saying that this is always the case, but I was just wondering what you guys would think of it.

ThomesHomie
07-22-2007, 03:24 AM

Not making the playoffs is considered a good year ? We had that year, last year.

Why are we playing like this, because we have no bull pen and Kenny Williams is sleeping on the job. We still are playing players that can't get the job done ( Jose ) . We just want them to fix themselves .

ilsox7
07-22-2007, 03:37 AM
Not making the playoffs is considered a good year ? We had that year, last year.

Why are we playing like this, because we have no bull pen and Kenny Williams is sleeping on the job. We still are playing players that can't get the job done ( Jose ) . We just want them to fix themselves .

Sweet. If you know that KW is sleeping on the job, could you please enlighten us to what deals he has passed up? Thanks!

Nellie_Fox
07-22-2007, 03:50 AM
Sweet. If you know that KW is sleeping on the job, could you please enlighten us to what deals he has passed up? Thanks!We have WSI posters who just know that Kenny could trade Contreras for Andruw Jones, or some other starting player on another team, if he'd just get off his ass and get it done. They just know that there is all kinds of bullpen help out there for the taking, if Kenny would just get off his ass and get it done.