PDA

View Full Version : Chicagosports Poll

cws05champ
07-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Check out the Poll on Chicagosports.com: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/

Jim Hendry's been busy -- but what do the Cubs need most to win it all?

7 games over, 2nd place in their division, yet; What do they need to win it all? Amazing!!!

getonbckthr
07-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Check out the Poll on Chicagosports.com: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/

7 games over, 2nd place in their division, yet; What do they need to win it all? Amazing!!!
Ummm their what 3 games out of the playoffs in July with the deadline a week and a half away? Whats wrong with that poll question? Would you rather it be:
The Chicago White Sox are the league's biggest dissapointment. Forget the team in the playoff hunt what should the Sox do to win next season?

hi im skot
07-20-2007, 11:07 PM
:?:

It's a perfectly reasonable poll question.

RadioheadRocks
07-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Ummm their what 3 games out of the playoffs in July with the deadline a week and a half away? Whats wrong with that poll question? Would you rather it be:
The Chicago White Sox are the league's biggest dissapointment. Forget the team in the playoff hunt what should the Sox do to win next season?

I'd actually love to hear Jim Hendry say "anyone who thinks we can catch the Brewers is crazy!" :rolling:

peeonwrigley
07-21-2007, 12:02 AM

I hate it probably more than anyone on this site, but there is a damn good chance of the Cubs making the World Series this year.

Now excuse me while I go throw up and forget I ever typed that.

Nellie_Fox
07-21-2007, 12:06 AM
I have more problem with the "A-Ram" than the poll. Will the trite "first letter, first syllable" nickname please go and die the death of old age it so richly deserves?

getonbckthr
07-21-2007, 12:08 AM
I have more problem with the "A-Ram" than the poll. Will the trite "first letter, first syllable" nickname please go and die the death of old age it so richly deserves?
Oh N-FOX :D:

HotelWhiteSox
07-21-2007, 12:14 AM
Their remaining schedule is a cakewalk. They'll probably get in, I don't see them beating the NL West (I think SD) though.

I will definately ignore sports media until next year though, if they do get in, already dreading the comparisons against the 2005, I can see Ryan Baker now :rolleyes:

They've shown that an easy schedule doesn't change anything though, with the Reds and Marlins giving them problems, plus there's always the injured pitcher syndrome, Zambozo's thrown the most pitches in the league

getonbckthr
07-21-2007, 12:16 AM
Their remaining schedule is a cakewalk. They'll probably get in, I don't see them beating the NL West (I think SD) though.

I will definately ignore sports media until next year though, if they do get in, already dreading the comparisons against the 2005, I can see Ryan Baker now :rolleyes:
Any comparisons start with us leading start to finish and ends with 11-1 and 5 straight CG.

HotelWhiteSox
07-21-2007, 12:22 AM
Any comparisons start with us leading start to finish and ends with 11-1 and 5 straight CG.

Oh I know, but with people like Ryan Baker, they won't use logic, or those stats, or that we were in a much tougher league and division, but stupid statements like this run being more special or the one that really counts, since it's the Cubs. He was already saying this crap when the Cubs sucked, how much more special it would be

TommyJohn
07-21-2007, 08:36 AM

They've shown that an easy schedule doesn't change anything though, with the Reds and Marlins giving them problems, plus there's always the injured pitcher syndrome, Zambozo's thrown the most pitches in the league

Juat about every news outlet will draw comparisons and say "this is so much
more special, more people care" and mention 2005 at every turn. Then, when
White Sox fans get snarly about it, they'll sneer "Sox fans are obsessed with
the Cubs, as usual."

Also, if the Cubbies win it all, they'll not only get the cover of Sports
Illustrated, they be named Sportsmen of the Year as well.

Then again, maybe there is a Cub on this year's team that will become the
next Alex Gonzalez, and has a date with Destiny.

downstairs
07-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Sorry kids, but the Cubs and 5 other NL teams have about an equal chance of making it to the World Series.

Read: 2006 St. Louis Cardinals

kittle42
07-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Sorry kids, but the Cubs and 5 other NL teams have about an equal chance of making it to the World Series.

Read: 2006 St. Louis Cardinals

But they're in second place and 2.5 out. They have no chance!

Chicken Dinner
07-22-2007, 01:07 PM
I hate it probably more than anyone on this site, but there is a damn good chance of the Cubs making the World Series this year.

Now excuse me while I go throw up and forget I ever typed that.

Playoffs...maybe .......World Series, I don't see it.

kittle42
07-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Playoffs...maybe .......World Series, I don't see it.

Why not? Make a more compelling case for anyone else in the crap NL. They're right there with the rest of 'em.

DumpJerry
07-22-2007, 03:37 PM
You left out the biggest mountain the Cubs can't climb over us:
Owning the best record in their league (league, not division) from Opening Day to the last day of the season and sweeping the World Series.

Only two, yes TWO, teams have done that: the 2005 White Sox and the 1927 Yankees. You can just let Scrub fans know that just about anyone who is anyone in baseball will tell you the 1927 Yanks was one of the greatest teams ever assembled.

When the Cubs do that feat, I will then respect them. Too late for this year.

I still don't see a World Series taking place in Chicago this year.

Chicken Dinner
07-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Why not? Make a more compelling case for anyone else in the crap NL. They're right there with the rest of 'em.

The last time I checked the standings the Cubs don't even make the playoffs.:?:

kittle42
07-22-2007, 04:33 PM
The last time I checked the standings the Cubs don't even make the playoffs.:?:

Give it a week or two.

CubKilla
07-22-2007, 05:05 PM
While I admit this type of question pertains to the Cubs and their recent surge in the standings, why is it that the Cubs are a move or two away from winning it all, with the NL Pennant being an after thought, but, in '05, it was just a matter of time before the Sox folded despite being in first from Day 1 to Game 4 of the WS?

That's the type of crap that gets to me with the sports media in this town :angry:.

kittle42
07-22-2007, 05:28 PM
While I admit this type of question pertains to the Cubs and their recent surge in the standings, why is it that the Cubs are a move or two away from winning it all, with the NL Pennant being an after thought, but, in '05, it was just a matter of time before the Sox folded despite being in first from Day 1 to Game 4 of the WS?

That's the type of crap that gets to me with the sports media in this town :angry:.

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey, Chicago whaddya say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Brian26
07-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Owning the best record in their league (league, not division) from Opening Day to the last day of the season and sweeping the World Series.

Only two, yes TWO, teams have done that: the 2005 White Sox and the 1927 Yankees. You can just let Scrub fans know that just about anyone who is anyone in baseball will tell you the 1927 Yanks was one of the greatest teams ever assembled.

I still don't see a World Series taking place in Chicago this year.

This is a great point that I think about often. Even if the Cubs win it all this year (which I just don't see happening), it won't be the wire-to-wire complete domination that the Sox attained, so it just won't be as great.

I still think it's remarkable that their supposed mega "fan base" couldn't get Zambrano voted into the All-Star Game as the last man, while the Sox did it two years in a row with Pods and AJ.

kittle42
07-22-2007, 06:21 PM
This is a great point that I think about often. Even if the Cubs win it all this year (which I just don't see happening), it won't be the wire-to-wire complete domination that the Sox attained, so it just won't be as great.

And it will make the Sox fans who would get into shouting matches with Cubs fans about World Series victories look like nit-pickers.

A WS title is a WS title, especially in this town.

Brian26
07-22-2007, 06:23 PM

I am completely convinced, based on observing you over the last few weeks, that you're secretly posing as a Sox fan here on this site while bleeding flubby blue. No true Sox fan would be so adamantly vocal about openly rooting for the north side franchise.

Brian26
07-22-2007, 06:26 PM
And it will make the Sox fans who would get into shouting matches with Cubs fans about World Series victories look like nit-pickers.

A WS title is a WS title, especially in this town.

True, but any shouting match with a flubs fan is nitpicky to begin with. I'm just talking about the personal sense of fulfillment and enjoyment in seeing a Sox team, in our lifetime, completely dominate a season and go on an unheralded post-season run that will never be matched.

DumpJerry
07-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Glad I have a friend who is a FBI agent. She'll put me in Witness Protection if the Cubs make it to the World Series.

JB98
07-22-2007, 06:52 PM
True, but any shouting match with a flubs fan is nitpicky to begin with. I'm just talking about the personal sense of fulfillment and enjoyment in seeing a Sox team, in our lifetime, completely dominate a season and go on an unheralded post-season run that will never be matched.

We certainly have the facts on our side. But facts don't matter to flub fans.

I agree with one of the previous posters on this topic. If the Cubs make the playoffs, these two things will happen:

1. Members of the media will claim the 2007 Cubs run is more "special" than the 2005 Sox, regardless of whether this year's Cubs actually close the deal.

2. Sox fans will be pissed. We'll be told that we are just bitter and jealous, and that we should "cheer for Chicago" and get behind the Cubs.

Lip Man 1
07-22-2007, 08:04 PM
San Diego has better starting pitching and an absolutely light out bullpen...as in 2005, PITCHING wins pennants.

Lip

goon
07-23-2007, 12:01 AM

The Padres, Mets, Phillies and Dodgers have a better chance at getting to the World Series than the Cubs do.

Unless the Cubs choose to go with a two man rotation of Zambrano and Lilly.

Nellie_Fox
07-23-2007, 01:59 AM

This is a great point that I think about often. Even if the Cubs win it all this year (which I just don't see happening), it won't be the wire-to-wire complete domination that the Sox attained, so it just won't be as great.And absolutely no one will care, as the beloved "Cubbies" finally reward their loyal fans, and the City of Chicago.

A WS title is a WS title, especially in this town.I'd like to agree with you, but I believe that a Cubs WS title would trump a Sox WS title, because they are the lovable Cubbies. People would be fainting from ecstasy, particularly the Chicago TV news people.

kittle42
07-23-2007, 11:07 AM
The Padres, Mets, Phillies and Dodgers have a better chance at getting to the World Series than the Cubs do.

Unless the Cubs choose to go with a two man rotation of Zambrano and Lilly.

Yes, because Marquis, Marshall, and Hill have been just terrible.

kittle42
07-23-2007, 11:08 AM
I'd like to agree with you, but I believe that a Cubs WS title would trump a Sox WS title, because they are the lovable Cubbies. People would be fainting from ecstasy, particularly the Chicago TV news people.

Oh, it would probably be the most unbearable thing ever.

The sad thing about the Sox' horrible performance this year is that it has brought back some of my Cubbie hate. I find myself really paying more attention to the NL these days than the AL. Of course, my fantasy league is NL-only!

PatK
07-23-2007, 12:27 PM

I agree.

soxfan13
07-23-2007, 12:45 PM
I am completely convinced, based on observing you over the last few weeks, that you're secretly posing as a Sox fan here on this site while bleeding flubby blue. No true Sox fan would be so adamantly vocal about openly rooting for the north side franchise.

I didnt see the part where getonbckthr openly rooted for the Cubs. All he did was state the obvious that the Cubs have a very legitimate shot at making the playoffs and that there was nothing wrong with the poll question. Now you can chose to ignore what is going on up north but dont criticize someone because they happen to know what is going on in the sports world. By the way I am still waiting for the "True Sox Fan Handbook" to come out so I know exactly what is right and wrong to do.