PDA

View Full Version : Will Chicago double it's pleasure?

moochpuppy
04-04-2002, 09:56 AM
Can Chicago ever be a winning baseball town again? (http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/rogers_phil/1362309.html)

Iwritecode
04-04-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
Can Chicago ever be a winning baseball town again? (http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/rogers_phil/1362309.html)

Two great quotes from this article:

They're not a baseball team," agent Barry Axelrod complained after the Cubs opted not to re-sign first baseman Mark Grace after the 2000 season. "They're a tourist attraction."

"It's the almighty dollar (with Tribune Co.), let's not kid ourselves," Grace said. "The Cubs are a very small part of a very big company."

moochpuppy
04-04-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

Two great quotes from this article:

They're not a baseball team," agent Barry Axelrod complained after the Cubs opted not to re-sign first baseman Mark Grace after the 2000 season. "They're a tourist attraction."

"It's the almighty dollar (with Tribune Co.), let's not kid ourselves," Grace said. "The Cubs are a very small part of a very big company."

I thought this one interesting as well:

Reinsdorf, Eddie Einhorn and their many partners had purchased the White Sox from Bill Veeck in 1980, landing them on the rebound after the American League rejected a sale to Edward DeBartolo.

Is that THE Eddy DeBartolo that won 5 SuperBowls as owner of the 49er's??

YOFrankie
04-04-2002, 11:30 AM

If it is, as a 49ers fan (why do I hear booing?), I would venture to say that the Sox would have had better teams than we have with ReinMan. DeBartlo created an atmosphere that was for winning, the man is intensely competitive (ask the Green Bay fan that decided to hassel the man after a game the 9ers lost.) However, the reasons he's got booted out of ownership are very real, the man has committed more white collar crimes than I can imagine. I don't know if his mob connections would have lead to another Black Sox scandal (doubtful IMO), but I bet the other owners blocked him partially because of this.

MarqSox
04-04-2002, 04:22 PM

It is indeed "THE" Ed. He had all the funds necessary, but he was barred from buying the Sox by the Powers That Be.

The reasoning was two-pronged -- first, the other owners wanted to screw Bill Veeck because they all hated him, so they blocked the sale, thereby forcing Veeck to sell the team to Reinsdorf for less money.

Secondly, the commissioner -- I think it was Ford Frick -- said DeBartolo was not "our people." Read "He was Italian."

KingXerxes
04-04-2002, 04:24 PM
I believe Bowie Kuhn was the commissioner you speak of.

MarqSox
04-04-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
I believe Bowie Kuhn was the commissioner you speak of.

Yeah you're right. Crap, Frick was commissioner back in the 40s. Oops.

Cheryl
04-04-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox

Yeah you're right. Crap, Frick was commissioner back in the 40s. Oops.

Nope. Frick was early 60s. He's the guy who was a friend of Babe Ruth's who didn't want to see Ruth's single season HR record broken (think *, though that's a legend).

Here's the list:

The Commissioners
Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis,1921-1944
A.B. "Happy" Chandler, 1945-1951
Ford Christopher Frick, 1951-1965
General William D. Eckert, 1965-1968
Bowie Kent Kuhn, 1969-1984
Peter Victor Ueberroth , 1984-1988
A. Bartlett Giamatti, 1988-1989
Francis T. Vincent, Jr., 1989-1992
Allan H. "Bud" Selig, 1998-Present

Nellie_Fox
04-04-2002, 09:35 PM
DeBartolo was from Cleveland, and MLB said they wanted "local ownership."

Daver
04-04-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
DeBartolo was from Cleveland, and MLB said they wanted "local ownership."

Debartolo was also a suspected shady operator,which is why he no longer owns the 49er's.

CubKilla
04-05-2002, 12:27 AM
All the prospective buyers interested, for a certain period of time, in buying the White Sox included DeBartolo and Colangelo. During those periods, Reinsdorf was awarded the team from one (DeBartolo) and refused to sell to the other (Colangelo).

Vsahajpal
04-05-2002, 03:40 AM
with all due respect to grace, he was part of the tourist attraction for 12 years. the cubs never wanted him back, he went thru arby for 12 years, that has to be a record.

RedPinStripes
04-05-2002, 03:49 AM
I hear the real excuse they used on Debartolo was that he owned race tracks. Yeah, well so does and did at that time King George Stienbrenner. I don't want anyone calling me a racist here, but aren't most baseball owners and exectutives Jewish? Kind of funny that the italian gets tossed out of that group for Jerry Reinsdorf and Eddie Einhorn.Or maybe it's just me?

Vsahajpal
04-05-2002, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I hear the real excuse they used on Debartolo was that he owned race tracks. Yeah, well so does and did at that time King George Stienbrenner. I don't want anyone calling me a racist here, but aren't most baseball owners and exectutives Jewish? Kind of funny that the italian gets tossed out of that group for Jerry Reinsdorf and Eddie Einhorn.Or maybe it's just me?

they need more indian owners

DVG
04-05-2002, 07:32 AM
I have always believed that the Cubs will win a World Series
before the Sox, sending this city into lifelong spasms of ecstasy
and dooming the White Sox' future here. Why do I think this?
Simple. I am a firm believer that in life, unlike the movies, evil
always triumphs over good. How else can you explain the Cubs'
continuing super-popularity?

harwar
04-05-2002, 12:04 PM
Another good one..."Helped by at least 3 critical mistakes by Reinsdorf(running off Harry Caray,taking games off WGN to put them on a short-lived pay cable venture,and settling for an unimaginative design in building the new Comiskey Park)it has succeeded in making Chicago truly a cubs' town.