PDA

View Full Version : NY POST: Joe Morgan is a LIAR

Fenway
07-20-2007, 08:04 AM
The Joe Morgan Fan Club will love this

The year, Morgan told us, was 1964, that calamitous season when the Phillies blew a 61/2-game lead with 12 games left by losing 10 straight. Morgan said he made his major-league debut late in '64, against the Phillies. And it was in that game that his RBI single beat the Phillies, extending their infamous losing streak to eight or nine

Great story. But unless Morgan was confusing himself with Reds rookie infielder Chico Ruiz, it never happened. As several readers were moved to write, the Phillies played the Reds, Braves and Cardinals during that losing streak; Houston wasn't in the mix.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07202007/sports/had_our_phil_of_morgan_sports_phil_mushnick.htm

knocko94
07-20-2007, 08:24 AM
B and B talked about this yesterday.

Fenway
07-20-2007, 08:28 AM
This NY POST columnist hates ESPN with a passion

The self- mutilation of ESPN, the systemic destruction of what once promised to be the best thing that ever happened to sports fans, continues, on all fronts.

Sunday night on ESPN the Cardinals were beating the Phillies, 10-0, in the eighth inning. That was before ESPN's pathetic ESPY Awards, but after ESPN's pathetic "Who's Now?" segment, and before and after ESPN's pathetic sudden enthusiasm for the Arena Football League, which until this year, when it became an ESPN property, ESPN ignored

The Racehorse
07-20-2007, 08:44 AM
I first read this story about Joe Morgan & the 64 pennant chase in Uecker's book Catcher in the Wry many years ago. While I always took the story of Gene Mauch turning over the buffet table & yelling about being beaten by a little leaguer at face value, it doesn't suprise me that someone went back & checked the records... only to discover that this golden oldie baseball story just wasn't what it appeared to be.

eriqjaffe
07-20-2007, 08:51 AM
This NY POST columnist hates ESPN with a passionHe's probably just upset that ESPN pays so much attention to the Red Sox.

hose
07-20-2007, 08:57 AM
hehehe I love it :bandance:

I'll cut Joe some slack, he's about to turn 64 and he is talking about a game 44 years ago.

His facts are straight about a beating the Phillies with a hit, just the wrong year. :D:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07202007...l_mushnick.htm (http://www.nypost.com/seven/07202007/sports/had_our_phil_of_morgan_sports_phil_mushnick.htm).. .......And he did not make his big-league debut in '64, either. That came Sept. 21, 1963, when he went 0-for-1, pinch-hitting against the Phillies. The next day, Morgan did have an RBI single to beat the Phillies, but those Phillies were well out of the race and not in the throes of a historic collapse; they'd actually won four of their previous five games.

chaerulez
07-20-2007, 11:25 AM
One could say it's because Joe is old. I think he's knowingly lying because he has a history of being an idiot or jerk. He would always talk about how Ryne Sandberg didn't deserve to get into the HOF. He's backed Barry Bonds over and over. When he would talk about Moneyball, he thought Billy Beane wrote the book. The guy was a great player, but he seems like an ******* and a moron.

Fenway
07-20-2007, 11:30 AM
I think a player would remember his first time in MLB in vivid detail

hehehe I love it :bandance:

I'll cut Joe some slack, he's about to turn 64 and he is talking about a game 44 years ago.

His facts are straight about a beating the Phillies with a hit, just the wrong year. :D:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07202007...l_mushnick.htm (http://www.nypost.com/seven/07202007/sports/had_our_phil_of_morgan_sports_phil_mushnick.htm).. .......And he did not make his big-league debut in '64, either. That came Sept. 21, 1963, when he went 0-for-1, pinch-hitting against the Phillies. The next day, Morgan did have an RBI single to beat the Phillies, but those Phillies were well out of the race and not in the throes of a historic collapse; they'd actually won four of their previous five games.

Chicken Dinner
07-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Maybe he'll shut up now. God that guy likes to hear himself talk.:mad:

NardiWasHere
07-20-2007, 01:04 PM
He has to be my least favorite color man.... He does this egotistical stuff all the time. I remember an exchange similar to this about a few years ago

Miller: Joe, did you ever hit for the cycle?
Morgan: You know, I don't really remember... Maybe

Oh come on..... Like this egotistical ******* wouldn't remember if he hit for a cycle? Just say you didn't, Joe.

It's a shame cause I like Miller's play-by-play most of the time, but Joe Morgan is just about as bad as it gets.

TDog
07-20-2007, 01:04 PM
I think a player would remember his first time in MLB in vivid detail

You're absolutely right. It was his first hit. It won a game. it knocked the Phillies 14 games out of first. I don't remember it. It took about 2 minutes for me to look it up online. (You also find that Morgan only played against the Mets, Dodgers and Giants in 1964.) It was a long time ago, but it was his first hit. He probably still has the ball as a trophy somewhere, with a date attached to it somehow.

It isn't an excuse if Morgan's memory is distorted because he's old with failing memories. If he truly remembers things that way, it's because he was telling the lie long enough that he came to believe the lie for the truth. Obviously he wasn't telling the story about beating the 1964 Phillies with his first big league heat when he went home after the 1963 season or began the 1964 season in the minors.

Rockin Robin
07-20-2007, 01:38 PM
It's not that he's egotistical, he just doesn't watch baseball.

www.firejoemorgan.com

HawkDJ
07-20-2007, 01:48 PM
If he truly remembers things that way, it's because he was telling the lie long enough that he came to believe the lie for the truth.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/76/Colbert-truthiness.jpg/250px-Colbert-truthiness.jpg

TornLabrum
07-20-2007, 03:11 PM
The only good thing I can say about Joe Morgan since his retirement from playing is that he actively supported getting Nellie Fox into the HOF. Other than that, I wish he'd just ****.