PDA

View Full Version : Tigers set ticket sale record

itsnotrequired
07-20-2007, 08:30 AM
With tickets sold for this season through the close of business Wednesday, the Tigers put themselves in position to set a new single-season attendance record for the franchise with 2,712,393 tickets. Barring unforeseen postponements, they'll surpass the previous attendance mark of 2,704,794 set in the World Series championship season of 1984.

The '84 team, of course, played its home games at Tiger Stadium, which could hold more fans than Comerica Park. That makes this year's feat all the more impressive.

http://tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070719&content_id=2097002&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

Oblong
07-20-2007, 08:46 AM
People are complaining because "real fans" can't get to go to games anymore. I guess by real fans they mean those who only follow the team when they are doing well and wait until the last minute to decide to go to a game. The team sold ticket packages as low as 7 games. I do wish the stadium had more capacity because with standing room it maxes out around 44,000.

itsnotrequired
07-20-2007, 08:51 AM
People are complaining because "real fans" can't get to go to games anymore. I guess by real fans they mean those who only follow the team when they are doing well and wait until the last minute to decide to go to a game. The team sold ticket packages as low as 7 games. I do wish the stadium had more capacity because with standing room it maxes out around 44,000.

That place is too crowded, no one goes there anymore.:redneck

With increased ticket sales, look to have the smaller ticket packages go the way of the dodo. The Sox got rid of their 9-game plan last year and one of their 27-game packages a couple years before that. The Tigers will be looking for ticket holders to pony up more dough up-front.

hose
07-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Good for them, they have a great park and a awesome team, the fans should be on cloud nine.

Oblong
07-20-2007, 10:38 AM
They used to do 4 - 21 game packages and changed that to 3 - 27 games. Basically all they probably did was get rid of the lowest selling 21 game package and added the extra games to the other 3 packages.

If they up that to a 41 then it would pinch me. I'll still get it but I'll be bummed because I've gotten used to my seat that I've had since the park opened and the people I sit with.

champagne030
07-20-2007, 11:05 AM
They used to do 4 - 21 game packages and changed that to 3 - 27 games. Basically all they probably did was get rid of the lowest selling 21 game package and added the extra games to the other 3 packages.

If they up that to a 41 then it would pinch me. I'll still get it but I'll be bummed because I've gotten used to my seat that I've had since the park opened and the people I sit with.

I don't see the 27 game package turning into 41 games. They may eliminate one of those IF full season ticket demand increased/increases significantly. I, too, would also expect the 7 game package to vanish.

What was your playoff allotment with a 27 game package? Does it change for this season?

Oblong
07-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Last year with a 21 game package I got every game. This year when they were advertising the 27 game package they said you were guaranteed one per round. That ticked me off but I heard from someone who talked to his ticket rep that said that was only for new account holders for 2007, all existing ticket holders would still get every game. Last year worked out well, I sold game 2 of the WS on the secondary market and so it ended up only costing me $200 to go to 2 ALDS games, 2 ALCS games, and a WS game.

champagne030
07-20-2007, 03:25 PM
Last year with a 21 game package I got every game. This year when they were advertising the 27 game package they said you were guaranteed one per round. That ticked me off but I heard from someone who talked to his ticket rep that said that was only for new account holders for 2007, all existing ticket holders would still get every game. Last year worked out well, I sold game 2 of the WS on the secondary market and so it ended up only costing me $200 to go to 2 ALDS games, 2 ALCS games, and a WS game.

Based on my experience, I'd expect those rules to change. You may only get partial tickets to the playoffs if you don't have full season packages. They'll keep the shorter packages to fill in where they don't fill up with full plans, IMO.

TDog
07-20-2007, 03:59 PM

Some real fans have lives and have to squeeze their trips to the ballpark around them. I had season ticket plans for the White Sox when I was in high school and for the Brewers when I lived in suburban Milwaukee with my boss at the time. But even when I lived in Wisconsin, I drove down to see the White Sox on weekends when I could. Of course, pre-2005, real fans didn't need to buy season tickets. The season ticket holders with the White Sox may just as likely be bandwagoners as real fans. I understand the point of the people complaining that real fans are being shut out of games in Detroit.

As for ticket plans, the more popular the team, the fewer options fans will have for season tickets. I don't know if this is still true, but some years ago the Dodgers had only the full-home-season season ticket plan.