PDA

View Full Version : Dye is done

HomerCoach
07-20-2007, 07:17 AM
Just a rant: He has nothing to offer, just swinging for the fence. He's slow as dirt (a base clogger). He was good, now he's not. Trade him for ONE decent position player and allow our young ones to play. Any one of our young outfielders can hit .220, and all of them can run much better.

:gulp:

lostfan
07-20-2007, 07:25 AM
I love how this fanbase treats its players sometimes.

seventyseven
07-20-2007, 07:36 AM

That's some pretty wicked concoction you're drinking.

itsnotrequired
07-20-2007, 07:38 AM
Since the All-Star break, Dye is hitting .367/.406/.833 with 2 doubles, 4 home runs and 7 RBIs.

HomerCoach
07-20-2007, 07:52 AM
Since the All-Star break, Dye is hitting .367/.406/.833 with 2 doubles, 4 home runs and 7 RBIs.

Good, I'm glad but is he gonna hit .220 the first half of next year?

veeter
07-20-2007, 07:56 AM
Dye is far from done. Though he'll never match last year, he'll be serviceable, IMO, for another three years. Let's just hope a buyer feels the same way.

lostfan
07-20-2007, 08:04 AM
:rolleyes:
Why would you insist on piling on the guy when he struggles?

itsnotrequired
07-20-2007, 08:05 AM

Who am I, Kreskin? None of us know how he will perform next year. Dye is a notorious slow starter who gets hot later in the season. He just got hot later in this season than normal.

Sargeant79
07-20-2007, 08:19 AM

He won't be in a White Sox uniform next year.

lostfan
07-20-2007, 08:21 AM
Maybe, maybe not.

soxfanatlanta
07-20-2007, 08:28 AM

Your sample size render those numbers meaningless. :tongue:

He's not done, I think he's playing in a lot of pain this year.

hose
07-20-2007, 08:37 AM
I would like to see the Sox hold onto JD until the end of the season unless they are totally blown away by a trade.

Dye is slowing getting his legs back , he is out of his slump and is contributing.

balke
07-20-2007, 08:49 AM
A-Rod was done at this point last season. Andruw Jones is done too.

lostfan
07-20-2007, 08:55 AM
A-Rod was done at this point last season. Andruw Jones is done too.
Wasn't Dye done in '05 too?

Jurr
07-20-2007, 09:13 AM
I think the injury to his quad has a lot to do with his performance, but there has to be some contract crap going through his mind. You always hear players talking about taking the high road, saying "I won't let this affect the way I play day to day", but deep down you know he's not happy. This game's all about relaxation, and you know that he's wound tighter than a baseball right now.

I've really enjoyed having JD on this roster. He had plenty of big hits in '05, he was an absolute monster in '06, and if he stays this season, hopefully he will have a great second half.

DumpJerry
07-20-2007, 09:13 AM
INR, if you try to confound someone's rant with facts again, I'll have to give you a long vacation to think about your postings.

And yes, Dye was sucking eggs and everyone wanted his and Kenny's heads on the chopping block during the first two months or so of 2005.

Oh, and he is playing hurt this year. He's been gimping all season.

itsnotrequired
07-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Wasn't Dye done in '05 too?

Dye was hitting .213 as last as May 29. He went .337 in June and stayed above .270 every month from that point on.

In 2006, he was hot the whole damn season.

Foulke You
07-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Oh, and he is playing hurt this year. He's been gimping all season.
This is Dye's problem in a nutshell. The man has a knee that required cortizone injections and a strained quad that could "blow" at any point. It's amazing he is even playing through the pain. A lot of guys would be on the DL and people are giving J.D. crap? I don't get it.:?:

If he was healthy, at the very least, we'd be getting '05 production from him.

hawkeyesrule
07-20-2007, 10:05 AM
For the record, I'm a huge JD fan. If Pods had the injuries that JD has had this year, he would be in intensive care.

I'd trade JD if we got a top tier prospect (or two), but if not, I'd be happy to have him back next year at a reasonable price or take the draft pick comp. I certainly don't think he's done.

Law11
07-20-2007, 10:07 AM
Just a rant: He has nothing to offer, just swinging for the fence. He's slow as dirt (a base clogger). He was good, now he's not. Trade him for ONE decent position player and allow our young ones to play. Any one of our young outfielders can hit .220, and all of them can run much better.

I'd rather re-sign Dye than anything else in the OF we have.
Good defense. Solid bat. He's having a bad year, who isnt?
The guy was an MVP candidate last year.

Lets just dump him for some no name prospect.. Good call.

HomerCoach
07-20-2007, 10:24 AM
This is Dye's problem in a nutshell. The man has a knee that required cortizone injections and a strained quad that could "blow" at any point. It's amazing he is even playing through the pain. A lot of guys would be on the DL and people are giving J.D. crap? I don't get it.:?:

If he was healthy, at the very least, we'd be getting '05 production from him.

He's not healthy and he's hitting .227 on a team that's 14.5 games back, time to turn the page. Since when do we get bonus points (or runs or wins) for playing injured?

HomerCoach
07-20-2007, 10:26 AM
Dye was hitting .213 as last as May 29. He went .337 in June and stayed above .270 every month from that point on.

In 2006, he was hot the whole damn season.

UMM, it's the mid-end of JULY and he's batting .227

itsnotrequired
07-20-2007, 10:31 AM
UMM, it's the mid-end of JULY and he's batting .227

UMM, I was replying to the post about his 2005 season.

Iguana775
07-20-2007, 10:35 AM

Probably had nothing to do with those darn injuries....

TheOldRoman
07-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Wasn't Dye done in '05 too?End the Jermaine DYE experiment NOW! hehe:cool:
He won't be in a White Sox uniform next year.You are probably right, but I wouldn't mind him in Left Field for the Sox at 6 million a year. He certainly can't play right on a regular basis, but he will rebound greatly from this year (even if he doesn't reach 06 level). We will see how he finished our the year and what the market is.

Chicken Dinner
07-20-2007, 10:48 AM
It seems that he has the Sammy Sosa syndrome. Takes a couple of pitches right down the pipe, sticks his ass out looking for an inside call, then swings at the low and away in the dirt.

southside rocks
07-20-2007, 10:56 AM
You are probably right, but I wouldn't mind him in Left Field for the Sox at 6 million a year. He certainly can't play right on a regular basis, but he will rebound greatly from this year (even if he doesn't reach 06 level). We will see how he finished our the year and what the market is.

I like that idea.

If the Sox can get youth and speed in the other two OF spots, Dye staying would probably be a very good thing. I doubt he's going to get a 3-year contract, given his age, but he's an asset to this team.

IMO it's really important that the Sox nail down the CF spot for the future, and that doesn't mean Darin Erstad. His injury history rules him out of that, I think. He'd be an excellent 4th outfielder, though.

soxinem1
07-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Dye is obviosly hurt. To dump on a player who did so much for this organization is just plain stupid. Sure, he looks bad right now. Thing is, if the Sox cared, or had to pay him next year, he'd probably be shut down right now.

I for one think they should shut him down. Let Ryan Sweeney play, just like they are letting Fields play. If JD heals up a bit, he can come back. I for one do not hink he is washed up, even though I did think he was playing over his head, but a 2005 type season should be likely for the duration of his prime playing days, and 30+ HR and 85-90 RBI is more thatn acceptable, especially if whoever is in CF and LF start producing.

wulfy
07-20-2007, 11:07 AM
If Pods had the injuries that JD has had this year, he would be in intensive care.

Love the quote, hawkeyesrule!

Paulwny
07-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Dye is obviosly hurt. To dump on a player who did so much for this organization is just plain stupid. Sure, he looks bad right now. Thing is, if the Sox cared, or had to pay him next year, he'd probably be shut down right now.

I for one think they should shut him down. Let Ryan Sweeney play, just like they are letting Fields play. If JD heals up a bit, he can come back. I for one do not hink he is washed up, even though I did think he was playing over his head, but a 2005 type season should be likely for the duration of his prime playing days, and 30+ HR and 85-90 RBI is more thatn acceptable, especially if whoever is in CF and LF start producing.

JD probably wants to play, if he doesn't play he won't put up any decent numbers and good- bye to a decent contract next year. His money making ability depends on him playing hurt.

JB98
07-20-2007, 12:37 PM
I like that idea.

If the Sox can get youth and speed in the other two OF spots, Dye staying would probably be a very good thing. I doubt he's going to get a 3-year contract, given his age, but he's an asset to this team.

IMO it's really important that the Sox nail down the CF spot for the future, and that doesn't mean Darin Erstad. His injury history rules him out of that, I think. He'd be an excellent 4th outfielder, though.

The only thing about keeping Dye for next year is you still would have a baseplugging middle of the order. If you want to break up the Slowskys, Dye is the logical one to let go, since his contract is up at the end of the year.

If Dye is feeling better health-wise, I wouldn't be surprised to see a strong second half from him.

oeo
07-20-2007, 12:45 PM

It sure would be nice if the guy could start doing something with guys on base. He's been terrible this year (and continues to be) with RISP. At least when Paulie was struggling, he was coming up with some big RBIs.

Chicken Dinner
07-20-2007, 12:46 PM
It sure would be nice if the guy could start doing something with guy's on base. He's been terrible this year (and continues to be) with RISP. At least when Paulie was struggling, he was coming up with some big RBIs.

He's hit into some pretty clutch double plays. :D:

lostfan
07-20-2007, 02:51 PM
I remember when Paulie was trying to overachieve one day and almost hit into a triple play, trying to outdo himself.

mjmcend
07-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Who am I, Kreskin? None of us know how he will perform next year. Dye is a notorious slow starter who gets hot later in the season. He just got hot later in this season than normal.

One or two seasons does not make Dye a slow starter.

April .265/.335/.509
May .268/.337/.468
June .272/.327/.445
July .282/.334/.512
August .279/.337/.473
Sept. .269/.343/.472

In fact, April is his second best month.

getonbckthr
07-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Personally I fel we should have traded Dye at the end of 06. Career year with a cheap contract. I'm to lazy to look up old posts from October - March.

Madvora
07-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Personally I fel we should have traded Dye at the end of 06. Career year with a cheap contract. I'm to lazy to look up old posts from October - March.
I don't think so. He was coming off an outstanding year and we still had him for another. The smart thing was not renewing him at that time. With a performance like that, you might as well see if you can get it again, especially since it was payed for.
Right now we're fine with the Dye situation. He's underperforming now and we're not stuck with him anymore. He wasn't the sole reason this team sucks this year, so... no big deal.

itsnotrequired
07-20-2007, 03:30 PM
One or two seasons does not make Dye a slow starter.

April .265/.335/.509
May .268/.337/.468
June .272/.327/.445
July .282/.334/.512
August .279/.337/.473
Sept. .269/.343/.472

In fact, April is his second best month.

Much of that April number is bouyed by the .329 he hit in 2006 and the .388 he hit in 2000. The other years are pretty unspectacular.

ArkanSox
07-20-2007, 03:34 PM
I regard Dye as an above average batter, a solid defensive player, and a guy who really wants to play for the White Sox. He's not a speedster, but he's the only dependable outfielder the Sox have, so I think Williams should do his best to resign him.

jabrch
07-20-2007, 03:36 PM

Your hindsight is still 20/20. Amazing how you know more about what happened after it happens than KW did before.

There's not a single person who was on this board pushing to trade JD after his monster season last year given his contract status.

thomas35forever
07-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Maybe Dye's not the hitter he was last year, but there's no need to rant about him.

The Dude
07-20-2007, 08:19 PM

He seems to hit well when no one is on base. However, there are very few times that it happens due to Thome and Konerko getting on base so very much. He is the king of GIDP or K-ing with 2 on, bases loaded, etc.
Yes he may be injured but he has been an injury prone player well before we got him. We have enough injury prone OFs and we cannot sustain a solid team with our 3 starters on the bench or DL due to injuries.

Thanks for your 2 good years Dye and see ya later! Same goes for Pods.

tacosalbarojas
07-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Some good stuff here in response to the original post. I have nothing else to add except that let's also not forget he stuck to a handshake deal he had with Kenny in the winter before 2005 after Arizona offered more $$$. Kind of paid off for JD with that World Series ring and MVP trophy he will have forever.

JB98
07-21-2007, 12:05 AM

It would have been silly to trade Dye at the end of '06. He was the best player in the American League last year, and we were looking at 2007 as a chance to make one more strong run with this core group.

You don't trade one of your best players when you're in "win now" mode.

Bill Naharodny
07-21-2007, 12:17 AM

He's been losing it in RF for more than a year. He was not a good outfielder last year -- bad jumps, dropping balls, not closing on balls. Some here scoffed at this observation, but there's only so many times you can watch balls sailing over your rightfielder's head, as he's just turning to the fence, before you kind of realize that maybe he's slowing down. And that was despite an ABSOLUTELY AWESOME year at the plate.

In my mind, he'll hit better than this year. But he's strictly a 1B, LF or DH going forward. If any of those fit with this team next year, and for cheap, fine. If not, see ya.

mjharrison72
07-21-2007, 01:13 AM
IMO, Dye is perfect "KW" material to be re-signed... great athlete, solid defensive player, coming off a rough, injury-laden year. Could be a bargain.

And whoever said he would be a "serviceable" OF over the next three years is full of horse ****. He'll be far better than serviceable, and if we trade him, I would almost guarantee we end up regretting it. People also forget before the 05 season he received better offers after he had verbally committed to the Sox, and kept his word. There's a shortage of honest, hard-working ballplayers out there, and JD is one of them.

itsnotrequired
07-21-2007, 06:51 AM
He seems to hit well when no one is on base. However, there are very few times that it happens due to Thome and Konerko getting on base so very much. He is the king of GIDP or K-ing with 2 on, bases loaded, etc.
Yes he may be injured but he has been an injury prone player well before we got him. We have enough injury prone OFs and we cannot sustain a solid team with our 3 starters on the bench or DL due to injuries.

Thanks for your 2 good years Dye and see ya later! Same goes for Pods.

The numbers certainly reflect better performance in non-clutch situations. He is batting .259 with 0 outs, .218 with 1 out and .202 with two outs. He is batting .248 with the bases empty and only .209 with a man on any base. The worst is the .150 he is hitting with runners on 1st and 2nd and the 0-9 performance with a man on 3rd.

On the other hand, he is batting .293 in "late and close" situations which is defined as "A PA in the 7th or later with the batting team tied, ahead by one, or the tying run at least on deck."

HomerCoach
07-21-2007, 03:58 PM
now batting .224 and is 2 for his last 16 (including 0 for his last 8). If he is hurt, sit him. He's not helping!

goldglovesox
07-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Put all the stats away. Just watch the game and his swings. He is obviously struggling and it has nothing to do with eroding ability. He is swinging at bad pitches, has a terrible approach, and cannot seem to find a groove. His bat speed is there and he is playing right field the same way he did in '05. He is not a bad player, he is just having a bad year. Give him his money.

I would use the numbers to drive down the price on a contract extension but for our perspective it is not indicitive of his ability. ALA Paul Konerko '03.

getonbckthr
07-21-2007, 04:53 PM
JD wants to stay here so bad fine 2 years 10 million with a bunch of incentives.

HomerCoach
07-21-2007, 05:44 PM
JD wants to stay here so bad fine 2 years 10 million with a bunch of incentives.

How about 1 year 3 mil + incentives?

Chicken Dinner
07-21-2007, 06:05 PM
How about 1 year 3 mil + incentives?

He should pay the Sox!!

ThomesHomie
07-22-2007, 02:23 AM
:rolleyes:
Why would you insist on piling on the guy when he struggles?

Play your cards.

Can we get some top players, or something good in return for Dye if we deal him sooner then later ?

Or do we hold on him like we did with Jose Contraes that now can pretty much bag us a mascot figure.

Nellie_Fox
07-22-2007, 02:54 AM
Or do we hold on him like we did with Jose Contraes that now can pretty much bag us a mascot figure.It is so, so easy to know what should have been done after the results are in.

ThomesHomie
07-22-2007, 01:29 PM
It is so, so easy to know what should have been done after the results are in.

Thats why I'm saying, do we hold um or keep um. 98% of the people want to see him stay because he is a fan favorite.

lostfan
07-22-2007, 02:09 PM
Thats why I'm saying, do we hold um or keep um. 98% of the people want to see him stay because he is a fan favorite.
I know, it has nothing to do with the fact that he's a struggling but otherwise solid player who they believe will turn it back around. Nothing at all. We don't mind keeping around players that suck if they're guys we like.

getonbckthr
07-22-2007, 02:17 PM
I know, it has nothing to do with the fact that he's a struggling but otherwise solid player who they believe will turn it back around. Nothing at all. We don't mind keeping around players that suck if they're guys we like.
He shows so much effort out there as well right?

ThomesHomie
07-22-2007, 02:35 PM

While I don't get the teal writing on this board at all :o: , this comment is true.

lostfan
07-22-2007, 02:52 PM
He shows so much effort out there as well right?
I don't understand what you're trying to say.

TheCommander
07-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Play your cards.

Can we get some top players, or something good in return for Dye if we deal him sooner then later ?

Or do we hold on him like we did with Jose Contraes that now can pretty much bag us a mascot figure.

The Phillie Phanatic is pretty cool. Maybe we can trade Dye and Contreras for the Phanatic and Rowand! :redneck

Taliesinrk
07-23-2007, 09:04 PM
The Phillie Phanatic is pretty cool. Maybe we can trade Dye and Contreras for the Phanatic and Rowand! :redneck

Just saying... that'd free up some serious $$$ for this off-season. SS, 2B, OF, or another P??

Just saying...