PDA

View Full Version : Rick Reilly's Bonds editorial

thomas35forever
07-20-2007, 02:45 AM
I think it's well-written this week. Who agrees with me?

WhiteSoxJunkie
07-20-2007, 12:34 PM
I agree. My favorite point he made was "Remind youself that they put a gold medal around Ben Johnson's neck for a while too."

downstairs
07-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Is it posted online?

I can't get Chicago papers...

Dan the Man
07-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Is it posted online?

I can't get Chicago papers...
In the new Sports Illustrated.

WhiteSox5187
07-20-2007, 11:10 PM
It's a great article...Rick Reilly is just a great writer.

TDog
07-21-2007, 04:16 PM
I agree. My favorite point he made was "Remind youself that they put a gold medal around Ben Johnson's neck for a while too."

Is he implying that baseball will take the title away? I don't see that happenning.

The Ben Johnson analogy is flawed, anyway. A drug test invalidated his participation in the race. If baseball decided Barry Bond's home runs didn't count, it would have to mean the Giants forfeiting the games in which he hit those home runs, if not all of the games he played in. That might not have an effect on this year's pennant race, but it could change last year's standings and as far back as you want to take away his home runs.

I don't read Sports Illustrated because I believe it objectifies women. I don't know if this is an example of great writing. My standard of great writing doesn't center on whether I agree with the writer.

voodoochile
07-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Is he implying that baseball will take the title away? I don't see that happenning.

The Ben Johnson analogy is flawed, anyway. A drug test invalidated his participation in the race. If baseball decided Barry Bond's home runs didn't count, it would have to mean the Giants forfeiting the games in which he hit those home runs, if not all of the games he played in. That might not have an effect on this year's pennant race, but it could change last year's standings and as far back as you want to take away his home runs.

I don't read Sports Illustrated because I believe it objectifies women. I don't know if this is an example of great writing. My standard of great writing doesn't center on whether I agree with the writer.

I don't expect them to take away home runs, but if he gets indicted and convicted, they will need to do something. I can't remember who suggested it, but I liked the idea...

HR Leaders Career

Bonds, Barry - 765 *
Aaron, Hank - 755

TDog
07-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Publishers might put asterisks next to Barry Bonds to provide more information about him if he is convicted, but baseball will consider him the all-time home run leader. Record books will still list Barry Bonds ahead of Henry Aaron. That is very different from Ben Johnson's situation.

Baseball doesn't even put an asterisk next to the 1919 Cincinnati Reds despite taking the disciplinary action against eight White Sox players.

Many will continue to consider Aaron the all-time home run leader, of course. But for very different reasons that some erroneously consider justified, some refuse to honor Aaron, considering Babe Ruth the true all-time home run leader.