PDA

View Full Version : Cubs send Izturis to Pirates for PTBNL

PorkChopExpress
07-19-2007, 11:34 AM
per the score.

CanBuehrleWait
07-19-2007, 11:39 AM
So if history is an indicator with these 2 teams... is the player to be named later Ian Snell or Jason Bay :o:

soxfan13
07-19-2007, 11:39 AM
MLB.Com says for a player to be named later

PorkChopExpress
07-19-2007, 11:42 AM
So if history is an indicator with these 2 teams... is the player to be named later Ian Snell or Jason Bay :o:

I did see Damaso Marte's name thrown around on mlbtraderumors.com. The guys on the Score were speculating it would be a prospect, and was again an addition by subtraction move with the emergence of Ryan Theriot.

Too bad we couldn't have gotten something from the Pirates for Uribe.

HotelWhiteSox
07-19-2007, 11:43 AM
I remember guys like Offman trying to hype Izturis up to try and save face for the Maddux trade

Here's a link for Fenway, from last year, they (I think it was N Colletti) mention Julio Lugo as a 'more offensive player' http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2535506

PatK
07-19-2007, 02:23 PM
So they basically got rid of Maddux for nothing, at least at this point?

jabrch
07-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Why would the Pirates give them anything of any value for Izturis?

Must be a complete dump by the Cubs. Pitt has no reason to want Izturis either for this year or for the future.

MDF3530
07-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Ah, Jim Hendry's old fallback:

When in doubt, fleece Dave Littlefield.

hose
07-19-2007, 03:18 PM
I wonder if Kenny has Jack Wilson in his scope....hmmmmm

KRS1
07-19-2007, 03:39 PM
I wonder if Kenny has Jack Wilson in his scope....hmmmmm

God I hope not. Why waste time on someone who isnt an upgrade? Not only that, but an extremely overpayed non-upgrade. 6.5 next year, and 7.25 in 09'.

robertks61
07-19-2007, 04:43 PM
I remember guys like Offman trying to hype Izturis up to try and save face for the Maddux trade

I also remember some media pants peeing when they acquired him.

pearso66
07-19-2007, 04:56 PM
From what I read, it's Izturis + cash to the Pirates for PTBNL. They really wanted to get rid of him.

santo=dorf
07-19-2007, 08:06 PM
From what I read, it's Izturis + cash to the Pirates for PTBNL. They really wanted to get rid of him.
So essentially the Cubs traded Maddux + cash +cash (yes you read that correctly) for a P(irate) to be named later.

The next Cub owner(s) should fire Hendry.

StillMissOzzie
07-20-2007, 01:06 AM
So essentially the Cubs traded Maddux + cash +cash (yes you read that correctly) for a P(irate) to be named later.

Let's look at the Izturis era on the north side in a bit more detail.
Over parts of two seasons, the Cubs played Izturis in a bit more than half a season (87 games). For this time, his BA was .242 with an OBP of .294
For this stellar production, the Cubs:
1) Traded future HOFer Maddux
2) Sent $2M to the Dodgers
3) Paid roughly half of his 2006 salary ($3.1M) and half of his 2007 salary ($4.15M), which I will round to $3.6M
4) Sent him off to Pittsburgh with an undisclosed amount of cash (guessing, but prolly most of the balance of his 2007 salary due, or another $2M)
5) For this they get a PTBNL...

So Maddux plus $7.6M gets a half-season's worth of Izturis and a PTBNL.
Shrewd deal there, Hendry.

SMO
:?:
Edit: Per the Cubune, the Cubs included only $1.26M to the Pirates, so drop that $7.6M down to $6.86M. Still a bargain!

Hitmen77
07-20-2007, 07:32 AM

Agreed. But being able to spend a bunch of blank checks on free agents is going to make Hendry look like a genius.

Gammons Peter
07-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Now who will be providing the Dominican milkshakes??

DrCrawdad
07-20-2007, 09:13 AM

IIRC a "Player To Be Named Later" can NOT be someone on your major league roster.

slavko
07-20-2007, 10:19 AM
I also remember some media pants peeing when they acquired him.

The usual drumbeaters were involved. I was wondering why I'd never before heard of the "slickest shortstop ever?"

Bill Naharodny
07-21-2007, 12:07 AM
Agreed. But being able to spend a bunch of blank checks on free agents is going to make Hendry look like a genius.

Slowly but surely, Piniella is making Hendry cast off most of his middling acquisitions -- Barrett, Izturis and would've been Jacque Jones, too, if ownership would've allowed the salary dump. (Instead, Jacque is tapping balls through the infield for RBI's -- and being celebrated for his resurrection -- during the Cubs' winning streak.)

This is Piniella's team, not Hendry's.

StillMissOzzie
07-21-2007, 01:16 AM
Slowly but surely, Piniella is making Hendry cast off most of his middling acquisitions -- Barrett, Izturis and would've been Jacque Jones, too, if ownership would've allowed the salary dump. (Instead, Jacque is tapping balls through the infield for RBI's -- and being celebrated for his resurrection -- during the Cubs' winning streak.)

This is Piniella's team, not Hendry's.

Add to that the use by Sweet Lou of DeRosa ( 3/$13M ) almost anywhere but the 2B slot that Hendry got him for.

SMO
:wink:

FarWestChicago
07-21-2007, 06:33 AM
The problem with Flubsession is it is a form of mental illness. While you all get your panties in a serious knot, and yes, you all wear panties; you ignore reality. If the Flubs get out of the pathetic NL, some AL team will take them out. You won't get a Tigers La-Z-Boy performance out of the AL two years in a row. Just relax you friggin' nutcases. :rolleyes:

Tragg
07-21-2007, 11:00 AM
This is the first Cubs team that I've seen that can play defense up the middle. That gives them a big edge over prior versions.
These 2 LSU boys (whom my Green Wave pounded in their last season in college) can catch it.