PDA

View Full Version : Wow does Hawk sound depressed

Fenway
07-19-2007, 09:32 AM
I hope it will be posted online later ( WEEI.com is hit or miss on that )

Hawk was on WEEI a few minutes ago and said...

He dreads the late innings as he knows what is going to happen

For the first time since he started broadcasting in 1975 he is no longer enjoying going to the ballpark :(:

He has never seen anything like the pitchers who did well at AAA and then completly flop in the show.

Lip Man 1
07-19-2007, 09:37 AM
First off can you blame him?

Second did Hawk actually SAY he is no longer enjoying coming to the ballpark, or is that an assumption based on the sound of his voice.

Lip

hose
07-19-2007, 09:37 AM
His "dag nabbit" is pretty sad to hear.:(:

If Hawk is sounding a little disappointed on the air I could just imagine what he is saying behind closed doors.

Rockin Robin
07-19-2007, 09:43 AM
wow, did he really say that?

say what you want about hawk, but that man lives to come to the ballpark...

Fenway
07-19-2007, 09:51 AM
He said this year is the first time as a broadcaster that the fun is gone. The Friday twinbill was his worst day in baseball.

NoNeckEra
07-19-2007, 09:51 AM

He's been thru the dog days of August many seasons before, but never did the dog days begin in June.

Try to put in an 8 hour day, 7 days a week doing something that gets worse and worse day after day, with no end in sight 'till end of September.

Who wouldn't be depressed.

Rockin Robin
07-19-2007, 09:56 AM
He said this year is the first time as a broadcaster that the fun is gone. The Friday twinbill was his worst day in baseball.

I don't like Hawk, but this really bums me out

Lets hope we can turn it around and at least make it fun

peeonwrigley
07-19-2007, 10:02 AM
I like Hawk, but I don't feel that bad for him.

I'd still kill to trade jobs with him if the Sox were 0-162.

jdm2662
07-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Well, this season has been brutual to watch. I can't say I blame him there.

That said, his annoucing has gotten worse than ever. It makes the game even worse to watch. If he leaves the booth after this season, I won't shed a tear.

BainesHOF
07-19-2007, 10:10 AM
I like Hawk a lot. It's been painful to listen to his announcing this season, though. He's at that age where he's clearly starting to lose it. I would hope that the organization can meet with him and decide it's time for him to retire. I don't want to witness him turn into a joke like Harry Caray did at the end of his career, and Hawk is in the early stages of doing so.

rocky biddle
07-19-2007, 10:12 AM
He's been thru the dog days of August many seasons before, but never did the dog days begin in June.

Try to put in an 8 hour day, 7 days a week doing something that gets worse and worse day after day, with no end in sight 'till end of September.

I'd love to get paid very well to watch and talk about the White Sox. I'm not a Hawk-hater by any stretch of the imagination, but considering his frequent stretches of silence or the long-winded golf stories, I'd say he's lucky to have a job at all. Maybe he should just buck up and try to have some fun.

hose
07-19-2007, 10:13 AM
I've been a Sox fan for a while and seen a 106 loss season but this is by far the worse season I can remember.

The Sox have looked like Shriners driving the little clown cars while the rest of the league is to stunned to laugh at them.

southside rocks
07-19-2007, 10:13 AM
I like Hawk, but I don't feel that bad for him.

Yeah, no kidding. Hawk is a professional, he should start acting like one. Nobody is enjoying this season very much, but it's not all about Hawk.

This is why I watch the games with the sound on mute. The guy irritates the heck out of me.

PatK
07-19-2007, 10:21 AM
Poor Hawk.

He could come here and take my place and I'll take his in the booth.

DumpJerry
07-19-2007, 10:34 AM
If he wants to take the rest of the season off to convalesce, my boss told me today I can take a leave of absence to cover for him.

soxinem1
07-19-2007, 10:51 AM

Ditto. Even if you don't like him, he is very obvious with his love for the White Sox. I prefer him to the Gary Thorne or Josh Lewin-types any day.

russ99
07-19-2007, 11:13 AM

Mine too, and he was paid to be there, while the rest of us bought tickets. At least the dogs were good and the beer was cold...

I know it's tough, and a bit against his personality, but he has to lighten up on the air. Watching the Sox blow games is one thing, having to listen to his moanin' and groanin' on the air isn't making it any easier on us fans.

Fenway
07-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Mine too, and he was paid to be there, while the rest of us bought tickets. At least the dogs were good and the beer was cold...

I know it's tough, and a bit against his personality, but he has to lighten up on the air. Watching the Sox blow games is one thing, having to listen to his moanin' and groanin' on the air isn't making it any easier on us fans.

I have heard Hawk do this before back in 1981 with Boston. His frustration with the team ownership and saying on the air that Ralph Houk was the worst manager in baseball got him fired finally.

That won't happen in Chicago but the one thing Hawk can not stand is BAD baseball.

PatK
07-19-2007, 11:24 AM

Very well put.

We're right there too watching this trainwreck and we know how bad things are.

I'm not saying he has to be Chip Caray or Len Kasper and be overly optimistic and look at the bright side of everything, but dwelling on the negatives is grating.

comet2k
07-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Sure, he's supposed to be a professional, he gets paid to do it, etc., but like us he's also a fan. I know I couldn't maintain my composure on the air with what's been going on this year, and Hawk and the others must be on some pretty strong meds to keep their emotions in check.

I'm sure I'd be out of a job by now if I was a Sox announcer. I just couldn't control my emotions during a season like this.

I watched most of the Twins-Tigers game last night with the sound off (I just like it that way) and found that I could enjoy the game for what it was because I had no emotional involvement. It's probably the same for announcers. If I were a Twins fan I would have been howling and swearing over all those guys left on base.

TDog
07-19-2007, 11:28 AM
I've been a Sox fan for a while and seen a 106 loss season but this is by far the worse season I can remember.

The Sox have looked like Shriners driving the little clown cars while the rest of the league is to stunned to laugh at them.

The 106-loss team was far worse than than watching this one. The two teams that preceded that team were much more frustrating than this one. Harrelson has been broadcasting during seasons worse than this one. At best, this is a taste of the 1969 season, when the White Sox were totally irrelevant -- a long shot to win 70 games playing an unbalanced schedule in a division with two inaugural-season expansion teams while the Cubs were running away with their division two years after the Sox should have gone to the World Series. Harrelson has seen worse. He was in large part responsible for worse in his brief-but-not-brief-enough tenure a general manager.

Sure, this has been a frustrating season. An incredibly frustrating season. But the success of 2005 has made it difficult to remember that frustration is part of our heritage. For that matter, frustration is Chicago baseball.

HerzogVon
07-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Quite a few of you say you'd love to trade places with Hawk, but would you really? You have to come to the ballpark every day, whether you feel like it or not. Of course, there's the travel to deal with; the constant being away from home and the long hours spent in hotels and airports. Sure, he gets paid well to do this. So long as it's fun, I doubt anyone would have too many complaints, but...

How would YOU like to have to cover THIS team every day?? It's tough enough just trying to watch them. Having to be there on a daily basis has got to be a soul destroying experience that would grind down even the youngest of men. Hawk is no kid, and the fact that he cares so dad gum much just makes it tougher.

I've been a big fan of the Hawk ever since he got here, but let's face it; he's not a professional announcer in the way that many are. His passion is what makes him what he is. Without it, he's just another fed up fan. It's kind of hard to imagine anyone being in his shoes this season and actually enjoying it.

HotelWhiteSox
07-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Is it really the worst in that time period? Or juts feels like it because it's going on now? The Twins games were bad, but I remember plenty of moments that have felt just a embarrasing (Mike Cameron anyone? Hell, even the debacle that went on in Oakland all these past years). We're on pace for what, 73 wins, eh, I still remember recent years that felt just as hopeless, but the team put on a meaningless end of season charge (10 to 6 GB from the Indians?) to finish the season with a little more respect

E.g, after a quick check, the 02 Sox were 45-53 at this date last year, very close to our record now, and ended .500

I don't hate Hawk (he sure does annoy me many times though), but for the loyalty, isn't this the guy who didn't go to the playoff games, and admits he was in the shower or the other room when the Sox either won the pennant or were playing in the WS? I've always taken it as kissing ultimate ass to not get canned like he did in Boston

comet2k
07-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Quite a few of you say you'd love to trade places with Hawk, but would you really? You have to come to the ballpark every day, whether you feel like it or not. Of course, there's the travel to deal with; the constant being away from home and the long hours spent in hotels and airports. Sure, he gets paid well to do this. So long as it's fun, I doubt anyone would have too many complaints, but...

How would YOU like to have to cover THIS team every day?? It's tough enough just trying to watch them. Having to be there on a daily basis has got to be a soul destroying experience that would grind down even the youngest of men. Hawk is no kid, and the fact that he cares so dad gum much just makes it tougher.

I've been a big fan of the Hawk ever since he got here, but let's face it; he's not a professional announcer in the way that many are. His passion is what makes him what he is. Without it, he's just another fed up fan. It's kind of hard to imagine anyone being in his shoes this season and actually enjoying it.

Well said.

And to try to put a positive spin on this day after day, you're either the ultimate homer or the ultimate whore who's just doing it for the money. Any one remember Jack Drees?

A.T. Money
07-19-2007, 11:46 AM
I love Hawk. I hope he sticks around forever.

I just can't figure out why people want him gone. Let's trade in the colorful animated Hawkaroo for some dull, lame, bozo like Kenny Albert. Yeah, that's the ticket.

People just like to ***** ***** *****. About anything! About Hawk. About DJ. About Ozzie. About Kenny. About Jenks. About WINNING THE WORLD SERIES!!! Sometimes, I'm embarrassed to be among some of you the way you act. Be a damn proud Sox fan and quit being so damn negative all the time. Will some of you ever be satisfied? Yeah, this season has sucked, but some of you need to check yourself in somewhere. How irrational can you be? What ever happened to the smart, free-spirited, thinking Sox fan? Some of you are acting like idiots.

Shut up already!!!!

Fenway
07-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Yes Hawk has had some dreadful seasons but never has the team been so bad when the outlook in April was so good. Everybody in baseball thought the White sox would be in it all the way. To have it end in June was a major shock.

TDog
07-19-2007, 12:28 PM

I've been a big fan of the Hawk ever since he got here, but let's face it; he's Atnot a professional announcer in the way that many are. His passion is what makes him what he is. Without it, he's just another fed up fan. It's kind of hard to imagine anyone being in his shoes this season and actually enjoying it.

But it's his job. It's not like he has to pull it together to go in and broadcast a game after trying to teach seventh-graders English all day -- or whatever real world job you want to fill in the blank with. That is all he has to do. And he only has to do it for about half the year. And he makes a heck of a lot more money than most of us. A lot of people would trade places with him. Certainly 2001 and 2002 were frustrating years. If Harrelson didn't want his job anymore, I'm sure there would be people who could do it better lining up for a shot to take it.

Harrelson has a dream job. If he can't handle it, I have no sympathy.

tacosalbarojas
07-19-2007, 12:39 PM
As for that Friday twinbill..."some days as bad maybe, but none worse".

Juice16
07-19-2007, 12:45 PM
But it's his job. It's not like he has to pull it together to go in and broadcast a game after trying to teach seventh-graders English all day -- or whatever real world job you want to fill in the blank with. That is all he has to do. And he only has to do it for about half the year. And he makes a heck of a lot more money than most of us. A lot of people would trade places with him. Certainly 2001 and 2002 were frustrating years. If Harrelson didn't want his job anymore, I'm sure there would be people who could do it better lining up for a shot to take it.

Who says he can't handle it? Imagine anyone of us doing these games, the broadcast would be one long bleep. This is the first time in my life I am not having fun during baseball season. I want nothing to do with sports radio, Baseball Tonight, the local newscast... hell I even traded in MLB 2K7 the day after the Cubs sweep. I still support and love the Sox, as Hawk does, but by no means is this fun.

stacksedwards
07-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Hawk is mad Yaz would not sign an autograph for him.

JB98
07-19-2007, 01:29 PM

Most people think sportswriting and sports broadcasting are dream jobs until they actually have to do it.

TDog
07-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Who says he can't handle it? Imagine anyone of us doing these games, the broadcast would be one long bleep. This is the first time in my life I am not having fun during baseball season. I want nothing to do with sports radio, Baseball Tonight, the local newscast... hell I even traded in MLB 2K7 the day after the Cubs sweep. I still support and love the Sox, as Hawk does, but by no means is this fun.

It's his job. Announcing a team's games is a dream job. It doesn't matter how well he team plays. Harry Caray once said that his ulcer erupted when the ball went through Ryne Sandberg in Game 5 of the 1984 NLCS. I'm sure you have an emotional commitment to the team and seeing them win. In 1970, Bob Elson said in an interview that he celebrates White Sox wins with a drink and added, "It looks like it's going to be a dry summer." But it isn't like an announcer for a losing team has to deal with an unqualified supervisor promoted ahead of you or meet a sales quota in a soft market. It isn't like Harrelson does the Sox games when he gets off work and has to deal with a garbage season.

Calling baseball games on television isn't the same as sportswriting, dealing with editors and deadlines and answering to professional standards.

BROADCASTNG BASEBALL STILL BEATS WORKING FOR A LIVING.

jdm2662
07-19-2007, 01:47 PM

Exactly. Making up excuses for Hawk when he does his antics is no different than people making up excuses for Ron Santo. It's fine to show emotion and don't have to like what you see. You still have a job to do. There are many things I don't like about my job. I still do it regardless.

Fenway
07-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Most people think sportswriting and sports broadcasting are dream jobs until they actually have to do it.

The pressures that sportswriters have to meet deadline especially in the East are something most would not understand. At a newspaper when the press has to roll...it rolls because the delivery trucks are timed down to the second.

Some are better than others

The following was written with 15 minutes to go before press with the Boston Globe having a 1 AM press run

And all of a sudden the ball was there, like the Mystic River Bridge, suspended out in the black of the morning.

When it finally crashed off the mesh attached to the left-field foul pole, one step after another the reaction unfurled: from Carlton Fisk's convulsive leap to John Kiley's booming of the "Hallelujah Chorus'' to the wearing off of numbness to the outcry that echoed across the cold New England morning.

At 12:34 a.m., in the 12th inning, Fisk's histrionic home run brought a 7-6 end to a game that will be the pride of historians in the year 2525, a game won and lost what seemed like a dozen times, and a game that brings back summertime one more day. For the seventh game of the World Series.

complete article (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=2118859)

The writer?

http://www.rounder.com/images/artist/7641.jpg

Justagirl
07-19-2007, 02:25 PM
It's fine to show emotion and don't have to like what you see. You still have a job to do. There are many things I don't like about my job. I still do it regardless.

As far as I'm aware, he's still doing his job. There are many things he doesn't like about it, but he still does it.

Also, being bummed out over your team performing poorly and not being able to handle it are 2 different things. He isn't robotic.. What's wrong with showing emotion?

Noneck
07-19-2007, 02:31 PM
He will cheer up starting tonight, He's at "home" for the next 4 days.

comet2k
07-19-2007, 02:33 PM
As far as I'm aware, he's still doing his job. There are many things he doesn't like about it, but he still does it.

Also, being bummed out over your team performing poorly and not being able to handle it are 2 different things. He isn't robotic.. What's wrong with showing emotion?

I agree, and for Hawk or any other Sox broadcaster to just keep putting a positive spin on this season would just kill their credibility. He's still keeping his emotions -- and I suspect his true feelings -- under much better control than I could.

kba
07-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Part of an announcer's job is to make the telecast as entertaining as possible, even if the team is lousy. It's easy for those of us on this board to forget that not everybody who watches a ballgame on TV lives and dies with every win and loss. Some of the viewers are casual fans, kids learning the game, and people who tune in for a few innings just to relax and take their minds off their troubles. I can't imagine that Hawk's whining and long periods of silence do much to heighten their interest in the game and turn them into Sox fans.

For all his faults, Harry Carey was a master at that, even during the 70's when he called some pretty awful Sox teams. He didn't make excuses for them; in fact, he could be brutal with his criticism. But it never took long for him to go back to spelling players' names backwards, ribbing Nancy Faust and the Bertucci boys, and selling the idea that, "You can't beat fun at the old ballpark."

Juice16
07-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Exactly. Making up excuses for Hawk when he does his antics is no different than people making up excuses for Ron Santo. It's fine to show emotion and don't have to like what you see. You still have a job to do. There are many things I don't like about my job. I still do it regardless.

Expressing disappointment in a pathetic team is antics?

Fenway
07-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Hawk really making the rounds today ( he loves being on Boston media....)

This is the SECOND interview on WEEI today ( they do that a lot as each show is a self contained unit ) he was on earlier in the morning show

http://www.weei.com/pages/268228.php (http://www.weei.com/pages/268228.php) (he sounds more awake here too )

Hawk also will be on ESPN Boston with Gammons later this afternoon

NorthSideSox72
07-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Hawk also will be on ESPN Boston with Gammons later this afternoon

Is that like the Department of Redundancy Department?

areilly
07-19-2007, 03:02 PM
I love Hawk. I hope he sticks around forever.

I just can't figure out why people want him gone. Let's trade in the colorful animated Hawkaroo for some dull, lame, bozo like Kenny Albert. Yeah, that's the ticket.

People just like to ***** ***** *****. About anything! About Hawk. About DJ. About Ozzie. About Kenny. About Jenks. About WINNING THE WORLD SERIES!!! Sometimes, I'm embarrassed to be among some of you the way you act. Be a damn proud Sox fan and quit being so damn negative all the time. Will some of you ever be satisfied? Yeah, this season has sucked, but some of you need to check yourself in somewhere. How irrational can you be? What ever happened to the smart, free-spirited, thinking Sox fan? Some of you are acting like idiots.

Shut up already!!!!

I, too, enjoy smoking crack.

Hawk, in my overtly negative opinion, is a terrible broadcast man. I take none of this pride you speak of in his blaming the Sox' months of ****ty hitting on the umpires. I take none of this pride you speak of in his being a complete tool of the front office. I take no pride in his unrequited man-love for Yaz, Joe Mauer and Grady Sizemore, nor do I find reason to take pride in his perpetual ass-kissing of Jerry Reinsdorf, nor am I proud of my Sox fandom when he starts spewing nonsense about the Sox just needing to figure out what it takes to stop outlosing the other team, or how the Royals are actually a very talented young ball club or whatever his latest load of crap is about why the Sox aren't really as bad as their useless bullpen, total lack of speed and non-existent hitting would suggest.

Just because he's colorful and animated doesn't mean he's good. I like Hawk's enthusiasm and I don't mind having a homer in the booth, but his act has just grown old. It used to be entertaining; with time it's just become pathetic.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a conformist idiot, or at least I am when it comes to my stance on Hawk.

Fenway
07-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Is that like the Department of Redundancy Department?

Bostonians think ESPN is pro New York

New Yorkers think it is pro Boston

they must be doing something right

ESPN Boston's website is

espnboston.com but it appears overloaded probably because it easy to hear them on the puter than the radio, their signal is horrific

southside rocks
07-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Part of an announcer's job is to make the telecast as entertaining as possible, even if the team is lousy. It's easy for those of us on this board to forget that not everybody who watches a ballgame on TV lives and dies with every win and loss. Some of the viewers are casual fans, kids learning the game, and people who tune in for a few innings just to relax and take their minds off their troubles. I can't imagine that Hawk's whining and long periods of silence do much to heighten their interest in the game and turn them into Sox fans.

For all his faults, Harry Carey was a master at that, even during the 70's when he called some pretty awful Sox teams. He didn't make excuses for them; in fact, he could be brutal with his criticism. But it never took long for him to go back to spelling players' names backwards, ribbing Nancy Faust and the Bertucci boys, and selling the idea that, "You can't beat fun at the old ballpark."

I completely agree. I watch a lot of other ballgames -- I love my Extra Innings! -- and I think Hawk does one of the worst jobs of broadcasting, just filling up the airwaves, when the Sox are losing.

Come on, it's BASEBALL -- there is always something to talk about! No, you don't have to pretend that all is well; but do you have to sink into a funk and become almost comatose? That's so unprofessional, IMO. Even Farmer and Singleton do a better job of it: they'll talk about hitting, and pitching, and what the pitcher might throw next and why the last batted ball went where it did.

A mark of professionalism is how well one does a job when one isn't enjoying it. Hawk doesn't score very high on that one.

jdm2662
07-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Expressing disappointment in a pathetic team is antics?

No, but his whinning about the umpiring, his silence, his grumbling, etc is what is embarassing. He is paid to call the game, and quite honostly, he hardly does that these days. Does anyone here think Ron Santo is a great announcer? He does the similar stuff, but I would agree Santo is much worse.

Hitmen77
07-19-2007, 03:30 PM

New Yorkers think it is pro Boston

They're both right.

Nellie_Fox
07-19-2007, 03:31 PM

New Yorkers think it is pro BostonAnd they're both right; it's the other 28 teams that have a beef.

Fenway
07-19-2007, 03:41 PM
And they're both right; it's the other 28 teams that have a beef.

28 other teams???? Really?:tongue:

http://www.theredseat.com/productImages/trs_nationcards_detail_350.jpg

Juice16
07-19-2007, 03:42 PM
No, but his whinning about the umpiring, his silence, his grumbling, etc is what is embarassing. He is paid to call the game, and quite honostly, he hardly does that these days. Does anyone here think Ron Santo is a great announcer? He does the similar stuff, but I would agree Santo is much worse.

Ron Santo and Hawk are not in the same league. Hawk is an established baseball broadcaster while Santo is a token hardship case who offers absoultely nothing to a game. I seriously see no comparison between the two and I'd wish Hawk bashers would stop with it. While Hawk is whining about the umps, I'm screaming about the same call. Hawk is a fan calling games and that is what i appreciate about him the most. The point of this thread is that Hawk is down about the team and so is every member of this board. He has not said anything that everyone on this board does not feel.

kingpin_rcs
07-19-2007, 05:20 PM

That sounds exactly like my new job.:whiner:

Frontman
07-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah, no kidding. Hawk is a professional, he should start acting like one. Nobody is enjoying this season very much, but it's not all about Hawk.

This is why I watch the games with the sound on mute. The guy irritates the heck out of me.

So, let me get this straight, gang; as this sounds like another arrow in the quiver of the "We Hate Hawk" mantra.

So, if you are a professional broadcaster, to be professional you need to act all pollyanna and the team is fine, even though it isn't? That you need to act as if you're having fun, when noone is? That's fun?

Sure. Just another comment from the "We Hate Hawk" crowd.

To me, I look at Harrelson's comments as "Man, I'm too damn old to be sitting here watching this sorry excuse for pro baseball."

WSox73
07-19-2007, 06:05 PM
I just wish Chicago sportstalk radio was that entertaining. :tongue:

thomas35forever
07-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Poor Hawk having to spill his guts like that. Just remember that he HAS to watch the games. We as fans have the option of watching games when we want. I can't blame him for wanting this season to be over before the deadline.

kba
07-19-2007, 06:43 PM
So, if you are a professional broadcaster, to be professional you need to act all pollyanna and the team is fine, even though it isn't? That you need to act as if you're having fun, when noone is? That's fun?

No, of course you don't need to act like the team is fine. You should call out the players who are underperforming and provide analysis of what's gone wrong. But that's a lot different from just pouting or clamming up when a Sox player strikes out or makes an error.

And yes, you do need to have fun. It's a baseball game, for goodness sake, not life or death.

Steelrod
07-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Poor Hawk having to spill his guts like that. Just remember that he HAS to watch the games. We as fans have the option of watching games when we want. I can't blame him for wanting this season to be over before the deadline.
We also have JOBS, which we work at whether we enjoy them or not! THat's why our bosses pay us to do the work and stop complaining.

Frontman
07-19-2007, 09:17 PM
No, of course you don't need to act like the team is fine. You should call out the players who are underperforming and provide analysis of what's gone wrong. But that's a lot different from just pouting or clamming up when a Sox player strikes out or makes an error.

And yes, you do need to have fun. It's a baseball game, for goodness sake, not life or death.

Remind yourself of that the next time you have to do work you don't like. So what if its a double shift, remember; just have fun! :rolleyes:

Hawk, like all announcers, makes his living off of calling baseball games. When the game he has to call isn't very good, that the product is sub-standard from where it should be, he should still enjoy it?

Hawk is human. If he feels he isn't having fun this season, God forbid he voices that in public.

No, of course you don't need to act like the team is fine. You should call out the players who are underperforming and provide analysis of what's gone wrong.

Ok, if that's what he's supposed to do, isn't that what he did on WEEI? Did he not say this team is not producing the way it should, especially in the bullpen? That when it comes time for Ozzie to turn it over to the 'pen, he knows their performance isn't what it should be?

Why yes, I do believe Harrelson did just that.

Frontman
07-19-2007, 09:18 PM
We also have JOBS, which we work at whether we enjoy them or not! THat's why our bosses pay us to do the work and stop complaining.

And you never EVER have complained about work? EVER?

kba
07-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Ok, if that's what he's supposed to do, isn't that what he did on WEEI? Did he not say this team is not producing the way it should, especially in the bullpen? That when it comes time for Ozzie to turn it over to the 'pen, he knows their performance isn't what it should be?

Why yes, I do believe Harrelson did just that.That's great that he did that on WEEI, but my point is that's what he should be doing during his own telecasts, instead of silently pouting when he's in a bad mood. (A little bit of play by play would help fill those long silences, too. I don't always have my eyes glued to the set, and it would be nice if he could give me a rough idea what's going on in the game.)

It's interesting that he said on WEEI that this is the first time since '75 that he doesn't enjoy coming to the ballpark every day. He had several seasons in the booth calling teams that weren't much better than this one ('95, '98, '02). Is there something else going on this year besides the team's play on the field?

Brian26
07-19-2007, 10:31 PM
He had several seasons in the booth calling teams that weren't much better than this one ('95, '98, '02). Is there something else going on this year besides the team's play on the field?

The only thing I can offer is this... the emotional high of actually winning the Series, which is something that most of us never thought would ever happen, certainly lends itself to quite a sense of despair once the team comes back down to earth. Hawk's just experiencing what any diehard Sox fan feels right now.

StillMissOzzie
07-19-2007, 10:44 PM

No, it's more important than that.

He had several seasons in the booth calling teams that weren't much better than this one ('95, '98, '02). Is there something else going on this year besides the team's play on the field?

It's a combination of high expectations and poor results, IMHO.
And with the Cubs getting hot like they are, it's looking like 1984 all over again. :angry::whiner:

SMO
:gulp:

Fenway
07-19-2007, 10:47 PM
I just wish Chicago sportstalk radio was that entertaining. :tongue:

WEEI doesn't dumb things down. They NEVER do a remote from a bar. They refuse strip club ads because there are many women listening. They gave Hawk 18 minutes and he opened up.

RadioheadRocks
07-20-2007, 12:05 AM
The 106-loss team was far worse than than watching this one. The two teams that preceded that team were much more frustrating than this one. Harrelson has been broadcasting during seasons worse than this one. At best, this is a taste of the 1969 season, when the White Sox were totally irrelevant -- a long shot to win 70 games playing an unbalanced schedule in a division with two inaugural-season expansion teams while the Cubs were running away with their division two years after the Sox should have gone to the World Series. Harrelson has seen worse. He was in large part responsible for worse in his brief-but-not-brief-enough tenure a general manager.

Sure, this has been a frustrating season. An incredibly frustrating season. But the success of 2005 has made it difficult to remember that frustration is part of our heritage. For that matter, frustration is Chicago baseball.

Very well said, T-Dog and I concur; I also remember the 106 losses in 1970, as well as the mostly mediocre teams throughout the 70s and 80s. The difference is that since '05 our expectations are higher now than they've ever been before.

TDog
07-20-2007, 01:13 AM
Remind yourself of that the next time you have to do work you don't like. So what if its a double shift, remember; just have fun! :rolleyes:

Hawk, like all announcers, makes his living off of calling baseball games. When the game he has to call isn't very good, that the product is sub-standard from where it should be, he should still enjoy it? ...

Yes, he should. He could be selling insurance for a living. He makes a living off his personality. No sales. No deadlines. Just describe the game.

There are people who post here who have jobs that are more emotionally taxing that describing the ups and mostly downs of the 2007 White Sox. One night, I watched a man being put to death and described what I saw at a news conference. My job didn't end there, though. I grabbed three chicken tacos and wrote a deadline story about the man's death.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who posts here who has no sympathy for a baseball announcer complaining about job dissatisfaction.

Steelrod
07-20-2007, 04:08 AM
And you never EVER have complained about work? EVER?
Sure I did, and my boss told me that he wasn't forcing me to work there. If I was unhappy, I should quit.

Frontman
07-20-2007, 07:45 AM
Sure I did, and my boss told me that he wasn't forcing me to work there. If I was unhappy, I should quit.

And after that day, you never complained about your job again? To anyone, no matter how bad it got or how disappointed you were in it? EVER?

Because if you did complain to anyone, not just your boss but to a friend, family member, co-worker, etc; you aren't holding yourself to the same standard you'd like to hold Ken Harrelson to. Which, by the way, is a standard that just about 90% of the planet's population couldn't hold up to.

In one interview, Harrelson said he isn't having fun this season. God forbid he would tell the truth; because the truth of it is that White Sox baseball hasn't been fun as much this season compared to last year, certainly the year before that. Hell, we have a thread here asking "You having fun this season?" So what, the fans can say they aren't having fun, but the voice of White Sox baseball who speaks to those very same fans CAN'T say it?

As many have said, coming down off the "high" as it were of winning the WS two years ago, to have a sub .500 team with poor quality play, the man is supposed keep on a positive light, give "expert" analysis (which, by my recollection, he never has been a nuts and bolts broadcaster, more of a homer) and never speak out.

Harrelson is getting older. Some already think the game has left him behind. That, combined with the fact that he has to call games of a team that is playing FAR below its potential, he could be thinking of moving on and retiring.

I know the Hawk Haters would love that, but I for one would hope he just was down after, as he put it; "Two series on this road trip, we should of been easily 6-1." Personally, if I would of had to call those games, I would of been just as disappointed, and I'm half of Hawk's age! I'd even think it would suck to be away from home, following a team that looks like a bunch of no-talent hacks, when they really aren't.

Sure, being a broadcaster is a hell of a lot easier than being a player; much less a mailman :rolleyes:, doctor, cop, or any other "real world" job. But being on the road, away from your family 8 months of the year when you already have an AARPs card and could be retired isn't easy on a person.

Give Hawk a break, gang. He was just saying what we all have been thinking.

southside rocks
07-20-2007, 09:49 AM
I've got no problem at all with what Hawk said! More power to him -- everyone has said the same thing this year; Ozzie and KW say it, for goodness sake.

The problem I have is that Hawk gets all petulant and moody when the Sox aren't winning, and he basically stops broadcasting. That, IMO, is incredibly bush-league of him.

Nobody's having fun this year, Hawk, but the pros are trying to do their jobs in spite of that.

oldcomiskey
07-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Im a Hawk fan mainly because I remember a time when Gary Thorne and Frank Messer were here. They were terrible together. I really miss my directv and mlb.com too. When we went to Boston I could listen to Jerry Remy. Jim Kaat was pretty damn good in New York too. Burt Blyleven is very knowlegable in Minnesota as is the guy in Cleveland whose name escapes me.

Fenway
07-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Im a Hawk fan mainly because I remember a time when Gary Thorne and Frank Messer were here. They were terrible together. I really miss my directv and mlb.com too. When we went to Boston I could listen to Jerry Remy. Jim Kaat was pretty damn good in New York too. Burt Blyleven is very knowlegable in Minnesota as is the guy in Cleveland whose name escapes me.

To me Tony Kubek was the best ever.

When Hawk first started in Boston he was refreshing along with Dick Stockton. Harrelson replaced Johnny Pesky who made Ron Santo look objective.

WisSoxFan
07-20-2007, 10:24 AM
"To me Tony Kubek was the best ever. "

XXX

I concur. I recall Kubek and Joe Garagiola (sp) working games together as a kid and they were very good together. I also recall Kubek with Bob Costas in his early years doing the NBC game of the week and there was no pair easier to listen to then them.

Justagirl
07-20-2007, 03:48 PM
He makes a living off his personality.

Right.
Key word: His personality. To have a personality, you must possess character. Like all of us here, Hawk is a Sox fan. When the Sox get in a slump, as fans we all feel the sting- I don't think he should be any different. We hear his live reaction to bad calls, strikeouts, [etc]..Is it even possible to remain apathetic to these events throughout the entire 4+ hours? IMO, that would be pretty boring and I'm sure people would be complaining about his dull, stoic personality.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who posts here who has no sympathy for a baseball announcer complaining about job dissatisfaction.

Just because you're dissatisfied about something doesn't mean you aren't doing your job, or you don't like what you do. I'm a homemaker. I love my job.. but that doesn't mean I like when people track mud through my kitchen, ya know?

TDog
07-20-2007, 04:39 PM
Just because you're dissatisfied about something doesn't mean you aren't doing your job, or you don't like what you do. I'm a homemaker. I love my job.. but that doesn't mean I like when people track mud through my kitchen, ya know?

But if someone paid me a six-figure salary to describe the accounts of White Sox games for half the year -- just be a character in a baseball season -- I wouldn't expect anyone to be sympathetic if I found it difficult to do my job because the team I'm covering isn't winning. I never heard Bob Uecker complain about life as the Brewers announcer. I never heard Vin Scully talk about the curse of having to cover the Dodgers in down years. If the White Sox don't make the postseason, Harrelson's vacation starts early.

As a fan, he can be disappointed in the team. As the broadcaster, anything resembling job dissatisfaction only fuels the animosity among people who believe there are better professional announcers who could be announcing White Sox games. Even people who like Harrelson have a right to be offended, just as people who liked Gary Puckett had a right to be offended when he complained in a newspaper story about the taxes he had to pay on his seven-digit salary to play baseball for a living.

People here are saying they couldn't imagine how awful it would be to be forced to attend every White Sox game this year. I don't believe for a moment that people would complain about being paid Harrelson money to attend every White Sox game this year. I'm not qualified to do what he does, and he's not qualified to do what I do, but if we could trade skills, I would trade places with Harrelson without hesitation. Many people feel that way. It would sound like a gift for me (and in many cases it would give Harrelson something to cry about). Even with the 1970 White Sox it would have sounded like a gift to me.

My analysis only begins with, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

soxfan80
07-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Hawk's GREAT as a color man/talking head. Not so great(especially now) as a play by play man.

When he's talking on the air(tv/radio) with no game to distract him, his opinions are pretty solid, and so his analysis. I remember him being interviewed back in 2001 on the score, and he broke down EVERY problem the current team had, and how to get back on track in less than 5 minutes. No stupid Yaz stories, or "when i played" crap.

grv1974
07-20-2007, 05:20 PM
His "dag nabbit" is pretty sad to hear.:(:

or "dag gummit"

Brian26
07-20-2007, 07:23 PM
WEEI doesn't dumb things down. They NEVER do a remote from a bar. They refuse strip club ads because there are many women listening. They gave Hawk 18 minutes and he opened up.

Kudos to them. That's commendable. It's nice to see a sports radio station that can at least attempt to show some class.

Brian26
07-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Im a Hawk fan mainly because I remember a time when Gary Thorne and Frank Messer were here. They were terrible together.

Both of those guys were bad, but I'm pretty sure they never actually worked together. Messmer worked with Drysdale in '86 after Hawk became GM, and Thorne worked in '89 with Paciorek on the tv side after Rooney got switched over to radio.

Thorne, no matter how good he supposedly is as hockey, is the epitome of a generic, bland, national announcer that shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a baseball broadcast.

Brian26
07-20-2007, 07:33 PM
"To me Tony Kubek was the best ever. "

XXX

I concur. I recall Kubek and Joe Garagiola (sp) working games together as a kid and they were very good together. I also recall Kubek with Bob Costas in his early years doing the NBC game of the week and there was no pair easier to listen to then them.

I attribute part of my baseball fandom to that weekly NBC Saturday afternoon game. Back before cable, it was a real treat to be able to see the different teams and different stadiums once a week. Kubek and Costas would always do the AL games, and Vin Scully and Gariagola would do the NL games. Both teams were outstanding. Lead in to that game with an episode of the Baseball Bunch followed by This Week in Baseball hosted by Mel Allen, and you had yourself some good entertainment.

Brian26
07-20-2007, 07:36 PM
I don't hate Hawk (he sure does annoy me many times though), but for the loyalty, isn't this the guy who didn't go to the playoff games, and admits he was in the shower or the other room when the Sox either won the pennant or were playing in the WS? I've always taken it as kissing ultimate ass to not get canned like he did in Boston

You're aware that Hawk didn't have to be at the World Series at all, but he went to Game 1 and actually broadcast the 8th and 9th inning with Rooney and Farmer on the radio, right?

Brian26
07-20-2007, 07:40 PM
I like Hawk a lot. It's been painful to listen to his announcing this season, though. He's at that age where he's clearly starting to lose it. I would hope that the organization can meet with him and decide it's time for him to retire. I don't want to witness him turn into a joke like Harry Caray did at the end of his career, and Hawk is in the early stages of doing so.

I don't buy that.

He's nowhere CLOSE to where Harry Caray was, which was a blabbering fool.

Age has nothing to do with an announcer's performance, and you can look at Vin Scully and Ernie Harwell as perfect examples. Hawk still presents a very coherent, insightful broadcast, and he may continue to do so for many years. Harry didn't do that when he was 25 years old.

kevingrt
07-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Because of terrible, idiotic plays like the one in the 5th tonight.

SOXandILLINI
07-20-2007, 08:07 PM
You're aware that Hawk didn't have to be at the World Series at all, but he went to Game 1 and actually broadcast the 8th and 9th inning with Rooney and Farmer on the radio, right?

I didn't "have" to be at games 1 and 2 of the WS either, but I forked over the $185 per anyway...:rolleyes:... Was this arguement actually supposed to be a defense of Hawk?

Frontman
07-20-2007, 08:09 PM

He even gave a "He Gone" during the playoffs during one game on the air.

Steelrod
07-20-2007, 08:27 PM
Some people would be grateful to be invited. The rest of the Sox staff were thrilled to be there.

Brian26
07-20-2007, 08:34 PM
I didn't "have" to be at games 1 and 2 of the WS either, but I forked over the $185 per anyway...:rolleyes:... Was this arguement actually supposed to be a defense of Hawk?

Arguement? :?: Argument.

If you only paid $185 to get into a World Series game, consider yourself fortunate.

The point of the original poster was that Hawk wasn't at the playoff games. I just gave an example that showed Hawk was at the playoff games. I don't know if he was at every single one, but I just proved that he was at one at least, which counters what the original poster claimed. That's the point. It's a rather dramatic error to say Hawk didn't attend any of the games when he was on the radio for the first World Series game. Whether Hawk wanted to be at the rest of the games, whether or not he was invited, whether or not he likes watching better on his tv at home, I don't know....and it's not pertinent to the argument.

SOXandILLINI
07-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Arguement? :?: Argument.

If you only paid $185 to get into a World Series game, consider yourself fortunate.

The point of the original poster was that Hawk wasn't at the playoff games. I just gave an example that showed Hawk was at the playoff games. I don't know if he was at every single one, but I just proved that he was at one at least, which counters what the original poster claimed. That's the point. It's a rather dramatic error to say Hawk didn't attend any of the games when he was on the radio for the first World Series game. Whether Hawk wanted to be at the rest of the games, whether or not he was invited, whether or not he likes watching better on his tv at home, I don't know....and it's not pertinent to the argument.

Yeah, I'm fortunate enough to be a season ticket holder, did you want me to pay more? And it's a rather ridiculous ARGUMENT, to say Hawk was at game 1, what do you want, a cookie? If all you wanted to do was refute his statement, fine, you made it sound like it was some big freakin deal that our announcer was at a WS game.

Brian26
07-20-2007, 09:03 PM
And it's a rather ridiculous ARGUMENT, to say Hawk was at game 1, what do you want, a cookie? If all you wanted to do was refute his statement, fine, you made it sound like it was some big freakin deal that our announcer was at a WS game.

It's a ridiculous statement to claim that Harrelson wasn't at any of the playoff games when he actually broadcast one of them.

SOXandILLINI
07-20-2007, 09:09 PM
It's a ridiculous statement to claim that Harrelson wasn't at any of the playoff games when he actually broadcast one of them.

I never said anything about the original statement, because I couldn't care less. YOU, are the one that made it sound like it was some big deal he was at a WS game for a team that he claims to love so much. If you don't think you made it sound that way, read it again....

kba
07-20-2007, 09:09 PM
I don't buy that.

He's nowhere CLOSE to where Harry Caray was, which was a blabbering fool.

Age has nothing to do with an announcer's performance, and you can look at Vin Scully and Ernie Harwell as perfect examples. Hawk still presents a very coherent, insightful broadcast, and he may continue to do so for many years. Harry didn't do that when he was 25 years old.

I'm guessing you're too young to have heard Harry in his days with the Sox and especially his days with the Cardinals. His play-by-play was among the most engaging in the game. His call of Musial's last at-bat can still give you chills.

Age indeed affected his performance, and it's a shame he's often best remembered as the doddering caricature he became during his last years.

Brian26
07-20-2007, 09:11 PM
I never said anything about the original statement, because I couldn't care less. YOU, are the one that made it sound like it was some big deal he was at a WS game for a team that he claims to love so much. If you don't think you made it sound that way, read it again....

Go back and read the chronology of the posts. I did not make the first post. I responded to someone who was claiming that Hawk did not attend any of the playoff games. I corrected him by informing him that Hawk actually broadcast one of them.

SOXandILLINI
07-20-2007, 09:12 PM

Here it is for your enjoyment.... "didn't have to be"... Yeah, being at a WS game, what drudgery. You're the one that said I was lucky to have only spent $185 for a ticket. I guess Hawk didn't feel so lucky to be at Game 2. Maybe he couldn't afford the $185... :redneck

SOXandILLINI
07-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Here it is for your enjoyment.... "didn't have to be"... Yeah, being at a WS game, what drudgery. You're the one that said I was lucky to have only spent $185 for a ticket. I guess Hawk didn't feel so lucky to be at Game 2. Maybe he couldn't afford the $185... :redneck

I never said you made the 1st post, I know you were answering another post, read more carefully.

Brian26
07-20-2007, 09:17 PM

Right. There's no difference between you and me (the fans) and Harrelson (the employee).

SOXandILLINI
07-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Right. There's no difference between you and me (the fans) and Harrelson (the employee).

WOW. My guess is, you weren't on the debate team in H.S.. Yearbook staff is my guess.

Brian26
07-20-2007, 09:23 PM
You're the one that said I was lucky to have only spent $185 for a ticket.

Right, because some people paid $1000 to go.

I guess Hawk didn't feel so lucky to be at Game 2. Maybe he couldn't afford the $185... :redneck

I honestly don't know if he wasn't there. I know he broadcast Game 1 in the final innings. He may have been there in a suite for Game 2. The only thing I recall about the Boston series is that at Soxfest '06, a fan in the seminar asked Hawk what he was doing when El Duque got out of that bases loaded situation in Boston, and Hawk said he was watching at home but couldn't be with the team because of a family commitment.

SOXandILLINI
07-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Right, because some people paid $1000 to go.

I honestly don't know if he wasn't there. I know he broadcast Game 1 in the final innings. He may have been there in a suite for Game 2. The only thing I recall about the Boston series is that at Soxfest '06, a fan in the seminar asked Hawk what he was doing when El Duque got out of that bases loaded situation in Boston, and Hawk said he was watching at home but couldn't be with the team because of a family commitment.

Since you felt compelled to point out a spelling mistake by me earlier, nice first sentence, ever hear of a double negative? :bandance:

Brian26
07-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Since you felt compelled to point out a spelling mistake by me earlier, nice first sentence, ever hear of a double negative? :bandance:

That's not a double negative.

TDog
07-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Some people would be grateful to be invited. The rest of the Sox staff were thrilled to be there.

This point in the thread confuses me. But now that I think about it, at my job in 1984, I won a drawing and ended up getting two tickets to the first game of the 1984 World Series in San Diego. The Padres lost, so maybe I should have complained about what they put me though. I didn't get the rest of the year, and early part of 1985, off from work. I don't recall the job paying especially well either.

Is accepting an invitation from your employer to attend a postseason baseball game some sort of imposition?

whitesoxwilkes
07-20-2007, 09:31 PM

Nice comma splicing.

All you seem to do around here is pick fights. You've gotten a rip before, maybe the one I'm giving you now will make you come back with a better attitude.

Cellview22
07-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Sox and Illini = both double negatives

tacosalbarojas
07-20-2007, 10:22 PM
Funny enough he was talking about this tonight (you probably heard it) and Hawk said he was praying that Ozzie wouldn't bring Duque in with the bases loaded.

Brian26
07-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Funny enough he was talking about this tonight (you probably heard it) and Hawk said he was praying that Ozzie wouldn't bring Duque in with the bases loaded.

Yes- I heard that exchange. DJ was talking about El Duque's performance that inning as one of the greatest pitching performances of all time, and Hawk said that he was praying when Ozzie went out to the mound to talk to Marte that he wouldn't bring El Duque in. Great stuff. It was cool of Hawk to admit that he was wrong there.

Fenway
07-21-2007, 11:25 AM
Kudos to them. That's commendable. It's nice to see a sports radio station that can at least attempt to show some class.

They have their locker room moments too....but there is a reason why WEEI is the top rated sports station in the US. Good hosts, good guests ( they can even get Bud on the phone ) They don't let morons on the air long.

The night guy ( 6-11 PM ) Mike Adams is hysterical especially when he doing Game Thread radio.

Brian26
07-21-2007, 11:31 AM
The night guy ( 6-11 PM ) Mike Adams is hysterical especially when he doing Game Thread radio.

Do they run into any problems with the Red Sox or WRKO with that? I know mlb is pretty strict with their guidelines about doing unofficial broadcasting of a game.

Fenway
07-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Do they run into any problems with the Red Sox or WRKO with that? I know mlb is pretty strict with their guidelines about doing unofficial broadcasting of a game.

WEEI and WRKO have same ownership. Adam's does live cut ins to WRKO when something is up and since he is getting calls from as far as California they must be straming it.

he''s funny

Wily Mo is up let's cut to the park to hear him strike out :tongue:

Entercom thought they were being smart by moving the Sox to WRKO to help the political talk station but it has backfired badly.

Their top rated afternoon host Howie Carr has bolted to WTKK-FM because he was furious he got pre-empted for spring training games

http://www.fybush.com/nerw.html
For Carr, the move would mean head-to-head competition with WRKO's floundering Tom Finneran morning show - not to mention a higher salary, a more prominent role in a WTKK lineup that's live and local most of the day, and no more pre-emptions for afternoon Red Sox games. For Entercom, which spent hundreds of millions of dollars to renew its deal with the Red Sox in part to provide a promotional boost for the WRKO lineup, Carr's departure is a potential disaster, since his show represented the biggest revenue draw on the talk station's schedule (as well as a lucrative syndication offering to other stations around New England.)

thechico
07-23-2007, 02:18 PM

Really? Think of all the times you were watching the game on TV and it got so bad you turned it off. Now imagine, that not only are you there, you have to watch AND try to put a positive spin on it.

I'm not jealous one bit. Even 2005 had its rough spots (ie August / Early-mid September) where I wanted to turn away.

Frontman
07-23-2007, 02:34 PM
Really? Think of all the times you were watching the game on TV and it got so bad you turned it off. Now imagine, that not only are you there, you have to watch AND try to put a positive spin on it.

I'm not jealous one bit. Every 2005 had its rough spots where I wanted to turn away.

So, what are you saying, that there's hope yet this season! Whoo hoo!

davenicholson
07-23-2007, 03:23 PM
be offended, just as people who liked Gary Puckett had a right to be offended when he complained in a newspaper story about the
Dog,

I'm sorry, man, but with all of this acrimony in this thread, I just couldn't resist:

http://www.rewindshow.com/pics/GaryPuckettAlbum.gif

"Sox fans, get out of my mind, my love for you is way out of line..."

TDog
07-23-2007, 11:14 PM
Dog,

I'm sorry, man, but with all of this acrimony in this thread, I just couldn't resist:

http://www.rewindshow.com/pics/GaryPuckettAlbum.gif

"Sox fans, get out of my mind, my love for you is way out of line..."

The problem with being a touch typist is that you can type Gary Puckett when you mean Kirby Puckett. When I was in Wisconsin, I edited a political column by a writer who discussed about the presidency of Grover Cleveland Alexander. He even referred to the man as "President Alexander" on subsquent references.

I sometimes post here in a hurry, and, obviously, it's not a job, but it's embarrassing to confuse Kirby Puckett with a genuinely nice entertainer.

My apologies.

davenicholson
07-24-2007, 12:38 PM
The problem with being a touch typist is that you can type Gary Puckett when you mean Kirby Puckett. When I was in Wisconsin, I edited a political column by a writer who discussed about the presidency of Grover Cleveland Alexander. He even referred to the man as "President Alexander" on subsquent references.

I sometimes post here in a hurry, and, obviously, it's not a job, but it's embarrassing to confuse Kirby Puckett with a genuinely nice entertainer.

My apologies.
TDog,
Nothing to apologize about. It was an easily-made boo-boo, but one which (at least to my warped sense of humor), lightened up what was otherwise a rather angry-toned thread. Far be it for me to correct anyone else's typing, grammar or syntax! If anything, I messed up by not using teal.