PDA

View Full Version : Take a deep breath, count to 10 . . .

hold2dibber
04-04-2002, 08:53 AM
A very frustrating first series, but I have, thus far, maintained my composure and not thrown any furniture around the house or startled my family with screaming, profanity laced tirades. In fact, I'm pretty enthusiastic despite the two games we gave away. A few observations based on the first series:

(1) There are a lot of positives to take from this series - we easily could have won 3 and while there is certainly reason to worry about the bullpen, it will be better than it has shown so far. It is the job of JM (and, to a lesser extent, the leaders on the team like Frank, Lofton and Manos) to make sure the team doesn't get down on itself after the 2 heart breaking losses and instead builds on the positives.

(2) I know that Sierra's shot to Clayton in the 9th was a tough chance, but when you're paying a guy $4.5 mm for his defense, he has to come up with that ball (if he does, it's a double play and we win).

(3) The weakness of the bullpen again illustrates, to me at least, KW's failure in the Guerrier/Marte deal. It seems impossible to me that he could not have turned Guerrier (and perhaps another B level prospect) into a solid, reliable middle reliver, instead of a "maybe" with a good arm.

(4) Every year, Foulke has a couple spells where he doesn't seem quite right, but he always comes out of it. He'll bounce back shortly (and note no. 2 - he could have/should have had a save last night).

(5) This is a good team. After watching the first three games, no matter the results and despite some weaknesses, I am convinced of that fact. They have speed, they have some serious lumber, they have starting pitchers who should be able to keep them in the game day in and day out, they play hard and they play with enthusiasm. They will be in contention all year and certainly have reason to believe they can win the AL Central.

34 Inch Stick
04-04-2002, 11:38 AM
Before the season began I thought they needed a 5-4 record on this opening road trip. Even being optimistic that 5-4 included losing two of three to the Mariners. Now we are poised to win two of three in Kansas City and Detroit.

It is disappointing because we could have won 3 but things will be o.k.

hold2dibber
04-04-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Before the season began I thought they needed a 5-4 record on this opening road trip. Even being optimistic that 5-4 included losing two of three to the Mariners. Now we are poised to win two of three in Kansas City and Detroit.

It is disappointing because we could have won 3 but things will be o.k.

Exactly - a 5-4 road trip to start the season would be just fine and that is entirely within reach, particularly with how well the starting pitching has fared lately, how good Lofton looks, and the fact that our two best hitters (Frank and Maggs) are due to start smacking the ball around.

KingXerxes
04-04-2002, 02:42 PM
Before this season started, I ran out to Las Vegas and got 8 to 1 on the White Sox winning the pennant. I was shocked that I got as long odds as I got because it was my thought that they'ld win this division by 10 games, and roll the dice in the playoffs. Now after these first three games I think the following:

1. The White Sox will win the division by 10 games.

2. We'll see what happens in the playoffs.

I don't care if we "should be" 3-0 but we're 1-2, over the next week you're about to see why we'll win 95 games this season - Detroit and Kansas City which I honestly think will add up to 25 wins alone for us this year.