PDA

View Full Version : Oh please! ESPN says NL Central is no joke

Jerry_Manuel
08-01-2001, 10:51 AM
K-Corner: Cubs, Astros show they're serious
By Karl Ravech
Special to ESPN.com
We are a long way from days of the NL Central being referred to as "Comedy Central."

To me, the pick in the National League is the Cubs. I don't believe the starters will wilt against the likes of Curt Schilling, Randy Johnson or anyone else for that matter. The bullpen, already the best in the league, is even better with David Weathers.

When Rondell White and Bill Mueller return, the bench gets deeper with Michael Tucker and Matt Stairs, and there does not appear to be any glaring weakness on this club.

That being said, how in the world do the Astros get the two most talked-about players during the days leading up to the deadline in Pedro Astacio and Mike Williams?

Making the deals even more remarkeable is that they come three years after Houston supposedly mortgaged its future to get Randy Johnson. Two-thirds of the Mariners' rotation, as well as Seattle's starting shortstop, came over in that deal. It is remarkeable how quickly Gerrry Hunsicker has turned things around.

Making the moves the Cubs and Astros made even more exciting is the fact that they play each other seven times over the final 10 games.

Houston is feeling about as good as it has all year about itself. Hunsicker's moves actually began when he was able to convince Jeff Bagwell that, in fact, Houston will do what it takes to be competitive. Remember, Bagwell is on board through 2006. Tuesday night, it was Craig Biggio's walk-off homerun giving the Astros the win. Houston needed a lift from the front office and got it. This is a team that had lost three of four games before the deadline.

Tragg
08-01-2001, 12:18 PM
The NL Central is the weakest division in baseball by a lot.

That said, the scary thing to me is the thought "who in the NL is particularly good?" No one. They've got 7 decent teams, of which at most one could make the playoffs in the AL.

That scares me because, and I hate to say it, the flubs have as good a shot as any of them to get to the WS. Fortunately, they have no shot to win it.

Chisox353014
08-01-2001, 12:23 PM
That scares me because, and I hate to say it, the flubs have as good a shot as any of them to get to the WS. Fortunately, they have no shot to win it.

As much as I hate the Skanks and Mariners (after last year), knowing that they are out there is actually comforting in case the unthinkable should happen.

Jerry_Manuel
08-01-2001, 12:36 PM
http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/6615.jpg
No worries the Cubs will go down if we play them.

Iguana775
08-01-2001, 02:01 PM
i agree, jerry. i think the series will be a laugher in the AL's favor, whoever represent the AL.

Jerry_Manuel
08-01-2001, 03:07 PM
i agree, jerry. i think the series will be a laugher in the AL's favor, whoever represent the AL.

I doubt the Cubs will make the series, someone from the NL should knock them off. Either way the Yanks or Seattle are gong to kill whoever the NL puts up.

IA_soxfan
08-01-2001, 03:34 PM
Sorry, but the cubs just aren't that good. Their offense, even with the addition of crime dog, is still pure crap. If they were to play in our division they'd be behind us, possibly even behind detroit. 2001 N.L. championship = world's tallest midget.

No-Neck
08-01-2001, 05:42 PM
ESPN IS THE REAL JOKE LATELY, IT STARTED WELL BUT HAS
SLID RAPIDLY. I DON't TAKE WHATEVER THEY SAY AT FACE VALUE ANYMORE, A LOT OF IT IS LAUGHABLE DUE TO IT'S SHEER STUPIDITY.

IT IS BECOME THE U.S. TODAY OF SPORT-WEB SITES, TRYING TO APPEAL TO A WIDE AUDIENCE ACROSS THE ENTIRE COUNTRY AND THE OUTCOME IS EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE, WITH IT BECOMING
FLAT.

THE NL CENTRAL HAS NEVER WON A PLAY-OFF SERIES SINCE REALIGNMENT, AND PROBABLY WON'T THIS YEAR EITHER.

AT THE START OF 2000, WHEN Jr. WENT TO THE REDS, ESPN PROMOTED THE NL CENTRAL FOR THE ENTIRE OFF-SEASON,CALLING IT THE NEW "POWERHOUSE" AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO FOR WHATEVER REASON, EVEN THOUGH THIS DIVISION IS PROBABLY THE WORST OUT OF THE SIX.

Jerry_Manuel
08-01-2001, 05:46 PM
AT THE START OF 2000, WHEN Jr. WENT TO THE REDS, ESPN PROMOTED THE NL CENTRAL FOR THE ENTIRE OFF-SEASON,CALLING IT THE NEW "POWERHOUSE" AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO FOR WHATEVER REASON.

I think that was more so because of Sosa and Big Mac coming off the big homerun year and they thought with the addition of Griffey it would really be a big homer division. But Griffey was hurt and the Reds and Cubs were really bad.

:boston
The Red Sox were good I know that!

IA_soxfan
08-01-2001, 05:47 PM
I agree with you on everything you said, 'cept for this.

THE NL CENTRAL HAS NEVER WON A PLAY-OFF SERIES SINCE REALIGNMENT, AND PROBABLY WON'T THIS YEAR EITHER.
I recall the Cards sweeping the Bravos in the first round last year. Not to be picky, just lettin ya know.

Jerry_Manuel
08-01-2001, 05:50 PM
I recall the Cards sweeping the Bravos in the first round last year. Not to be picky, just lettin ya know.

Yep that happened. I remember watching that in shock that was also the series where LaRussa named Ankiel his number one starter for the playoffs I think. But Cardinals just beat the crap out of them.

Majik1987
08-01-2001, 06:09 PM
Of course the NL Central is great, if you play by ESPN's rules. ESPN looks for mediocrity and calls it great when it comes to division races. They want to be able to say that there are three teams fighting for the division lead, and ohhh, isn't that great? They never mention that they all suck and no one can pull away. And this year, it is not just the NL Central that sucks, it is the WHOLE National League. Its just a shame that the current playoff format states that 4 NL teams have to make it. Otherwise, we could let in a few more AL teams, teams that are actually good.

No-Neck
08-01-2001, 06:11 PM
IA_FAN, I stand corrected,
but I still say the NL Central sucks, even when Sosa and McGwire had the home-run race, I think the Astros exited early in the play-offs.

This division was highly touted in 2000 and 2001, and as far as I'm concerned is a big bust.

I don't see a WS Championship coming out of theis division this year, and the Cubs............

SUCK! Always have, always will!

IA_soxfan
08-01-2001, 07:49 PM
This division was highly touted in 2000 and 2001, and as far as I'm concerned is a big bust.
If you're looking for an argument, I think you're on the wrong message board, cause you won't find one here!
:)

Jerry_Manuel
08-01-2001, 08:08 PM
If you're looking for an argument, I think you're on the wrong message board, cause you won't find one here!

:morgan
Go Reds!!!