PDA

View Full Version : Jordan-Arod

getonbckthr
07-18-2007, 05:29 PM
The final 3 seasons Jordan was a Bull they paid him I believe 30, 33, and 36 million per year. Here's my question why can't the Sox, owned by JR like the Bulls, give the MJ of baseball a similar contract only instead of 3 years have it like 6-7?

KRS1
07-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Probably because basketball is a sport that is much more easily affected by having one really great player on your team.

getonbckthr
07-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Probably because basketball is a sport that is much more easily affected by having one really great player on your team.
I understand that, but I just see Arod putting up numbers that our 2B, SS, LF, CF and for this season RF has put up combined.
Not to mention signing an Arod in addition to the Burls resigning would keep the season ticket list high. I don't know I see 30 million as a lot but the benefits would almost be worth it.

Mr.1Dog
07-18-2007, 06:08 PM
It's an interesting theory, but think about the players that was around MJ, and the players that would be around AROD...Jordan had Pippen, Harper, Rodman, Kerr, all people who played their respective roles and accented each other nicely. With AROD, he wouldn't really have that as much with this current team and if we were to have a lead with AROD, the bullpen would most likely fail him. Also, with the streaky hitting the Sox possess right now, AROD wouldn't really be able to carry the entire team the way Jordan could carry the Bulls.

getonbckthr
07-18-2007, 06:11 PM
It's an interesting theory, but think about the players that was around MJ, and the players that would be around AROD...Jordan had Pippen, Harper, Rodman, Kerr, all people who played their respective roles and accented each other nicely. With AROD, he wouldn't really have that as much with this current team and if we were to have a lead with AROD, the bullpen would most likely fail him. Also, with the streaky hitting the Sox possess right now, AROD wouldn't really be able to carry the entire team the way Jordan could carry the Bulls.
Yes but if you have PK or Thome behind him one of the 3 will see fast balls as you can't walk all 3. Dye has been solid except for this season with the Sox however he didn't strike fear into a pitchers eyes like Arod would. That alone changes the approaches to PK and Thome. Look at how Barry Bonds has affected Ray Durham.

johnr1note
07-18-2007, 06:23 PM
I understand that, but I just see Arod putting up numbers that our 2B, SS, LF, CF and for this season RF has put up combined.
Not to mention signing an Arod in addition to the Burls resigning would keep the season ticket list high. I don't know I see 30 million as a lot but the benefits would almost be worth it.

But how big are NBA rosters? 10? 12? What was the Bulls total payroll in those days? I would bet its nowhere near what the Sox payroll is without that big contract today. I don't think baseball finances are as flexible.

UserNameBlank
07-18-2007, 06:26 PM
I'd rather deal the entire farm system for the likes of Alex Rios or Matt Holiday than commit that much of the payroll to one particular player, regardless of who that player is.

It's funny how so many people want ARod here yet also want to keep Buehrle, Garland, Vazquez, Paulie, Thome, etc. AND bring in veterans for the bullpen. We sign ARod and we automatically wave goodbye to at least two of those guys and we still don't address the bullpen.

Huisj
07-18-2007, 08:28 PM

In a way, a baseball roster is really like 2 rosters with position players and pitchers. Each of those has about the same number of people you see on an entire NBA roster. So effectively, it's like instead of paying one big superstar $30 million, you gotta split that somehow between the big superstar position player and the ace pitcher.

pearso66
07-18-2007, 10:32 PM
If A-Rod could pitch in relief, and DH for LF, CF and himself, then it would be a great sign. Then BA could play CF again. Unfortunately one player can not come up 3 times in one roster. So I would say it wouldn't be worth it.

PatK
07-19-2007, 12:26 PM
The final 3 seasons Jordan was a Bull they paid him I believe 30, 33, and 36 million per year. Here's my question why can't the Sox, owned by JR like the Bulls, give the MJ of baseball a similar contract only instead of 3 years have it like 6-7?

Because there's twice the amount of players on the team, and the Bulls were a consistent sell-out and had much higher ticket prices.

Jaffar
07-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Because there's twice the amount of players on the team, and the Bulls were a consistent sell-out and had much higher ticket prices.

610 consecutive sellouts to be exact. Bulls average ticket price is like $52 while the Sox is $26.

A.T. Money
07-19-2007, 12:49 PM
But they only have half the home games the Sox do. It's all relative.

HawkDJ
07-20-2007, 10:16 AM
And half the capacity.

voodoochile
07-20-2007, 11:07 AM
You could count on Jordan by himself to play about 17% of the total playing time for the team. In addition he guaranteed a playoff spot just by being on the roster (his teams never missed the playoffs) and from his second season on he guaranteed sellouts home and road.

At best Rodriquez would play 10% of the team's minutes and by himself he does not guarantee any of the other things listed above.

Finally, just to throw it out for discussion...

If you were starting a baseball team, would Rodriguez be one of the first 3 guys you drafted? I say, "no." The first three guys selected would all be starting pitchers. If you could select any 25 players in the game from any team, Rodriguez would be in the top 5 players I'd select, but the first 3 would be starting pitchers and the 4th might be a closer. Heck, I'd probably spend all top 5 selections on starting pitchers and then fill in the roster with position players and relievers.

So, if Rodriguez isn't even the first player drafted (to a real world baseball team) why should he be paid the most money of anyone in the game?

Edit: I wanted to add that the percentage of PT is strictly based on minutes/innings. In reality, Jordan probably was closer to 25% when it comes to actual control of play and 30%+ in terms of scoring. Rodriquez's numbers would probably be closer to 5% when you compare his actual plays made to pitches thrown and factor in his 12% of AB based on a high batting order slot.