PDA

View Full Version : Lee Dropping his Appeal

soxfan43
07-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Does anyone else find it kind of shady that a player can appeal a suspension for weeks on end and then finally serve it when he's injured, sore or needs a break? That Lee-Young incident was so long ago. How can Selig not find time to meet with Lee on this issue in that time? I think they need to look into changing this policy.

sox1970
07-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Does anyone else find it kind of shady that a player can appeal a suspension for weeks on end and then finally serve it when he's injured, sore or needs a break? That Lee-Young incident was so long ago. How can Selig not find time to meet with Lee on this issue in that time? I think they need to look into changing this policy.

Yes, it's complete BS that this happens, and also Chris Young serving his suspension before and after the AS Break, but yet playing in the AS Game. They need to hear appeals within one week. It's called a conference call.

getonbckthr
07-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Your appeal is heard the next time you are around league offices. They haven't been to NY yet.

downstairs
07-18-2007, 04:08 PM
I've never understood the whole appeal thing anyway. Its the same people hearing the appeal that handed down the information.

What the heck is going to change their minds? Lee is going to go to the offices and say he really didn't mean to do it?

Suspensions should start immediately, and that's that.

TDog
07-18-2007, 06:01 PM
It's about due process guaranteed in the collective bargaining agreement. I have read that the NBA players' agreement pretty much takes the ability for players to appeal their suspensions. Hammering out agreements with the baseball union is contentious enough that conceding on the suspension-appeals issue is an easy call for management to make.

StillMissOzzie
07-18-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm all for due process, but I think it stinks that a player can determine when to serve their suspension (nagging owies? weak sister opponents?) by dropping their appeal.
Maybe the rules should be revised to NOT be able to drop your appeal once you've gone that route?

SMO
:?:

PatK
07-18-2007, 06:13 PM
This is the second time in two seasons where there's been a decent suspension handed down to a Cubs player that didn't start serving it until more than a month after getting it.

chisoxmike
07-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Lee also dropped the suspension becuase he hurt his ankle yesterday.

chaerulez
07-18-2007, 09:55 PM

I think BA did the same thing last year. All players do it this way basically. The problem is the system.

Boondock Saint
07-18-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm paraphrasing here, but ESPN's headline for it said something to the effect of "Lee hurt, so decides to serve suspension". And that pretty much explains the whole situation. If I was the commissioner, I'd tell the Cubs, "Put him on the DL. When he comes back, THEN he can serve his suspension." It just pisses me off that people use these punishments as vacation time.

kevingrt
07-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Yes. The MLB needs a ruling system like the NBA where suspensions are handed out and have to be served. If they are appealed then the appeal process is done in a few days. In the MLB it takes forever because how much power the f-ing MLBPA has.

soxfan13
07-19-2007, 07:52 AM
Everyone always blames the player but it is actually the commisioners office that should be to blame . The players are only doing what they can. If this was say, Konerko, everyone would be saying how smart he was to hold off until he had a nagging injury to serve his suspension. So, even though he is a Cub I think Lee desrves a break on this one.:gulp:

itsnotrequired
07-19-2007, 07:58 AM
I would have no problem if a Sox player did the same thing and I don't have a problem with Lee taking this approach either. The system allows it. Changing the system is an entirely different matter.

soxfan43
07-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Your appeal is heard the next time you are around league offices. They haven't been to NY yet.

Weren't they both in San Fran for the all star game? I'm guessing they could've found some time to meet there. I'm not trying to pick on a cub here, I just think the system is pretty dumb.

Railsplitter
07-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Derek Lee never had much appeal to me:tongue:

soxfan13
07-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Weren't they both in San Fran for the all star game? I'm guessing they could've found some time to meet there. I'm not trying to pick on a cub here, I just think the system is pretty dumb.

Completely agree they could very easily do some sort of teleconference appeal but I think they want to be able to look in the players eyes to see if they are sincere!!!:tongue: