PDA

View Full Version : Mariners to pay Ichiro through 2032

WizardsofOzzie
07-18-2007, 02:28 PM
The Seattle Mariners (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=sea) will be paying Ichiro Suzuki (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6615) for at least a quarter century. The All-Star outfielder's new contract extension calls for the team to defer $25 million of the $90 million he is owed, money that the team will not have to fully pay until at least 2032. Seattle will pay $12 million in salary each year and defer $5 million per season at 5.5 percent interest. Suzuki, who turns 33 in October, will receive the money in annual installments each Jan. 30 starting with the year after his retirement from the major leagues.Does this happen often because when I read it, I did this :o:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2941080&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

letsgosox1592
07-18-2007, 02:30 PM
Someone already post this.

WizardsofOzzie
07-18-2007, 02:33 PM
Someone already post this.
My bad. I didn't see it, and I didn't want to pour through the Ichiro thread to see if it was there. Please merge/delete mods

chaerulez
07-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Didn't a Sox differ a lot of money in the Albert Belle signing? It's not common, but it has happened.

Steelrod
07-18-2007, 03:03 PM
It's funny. If the Sox offer deferral, it's a negative, If others do, it's financial management.
The fact is that deferrals benefit both sides. Money may have greater value now than later, but tax advantage must also be considered.

voodoochile
07-18-2007, 06:30 PM
It's funny. If the Sox offer deferral, it's a negative, If others do, it's financial management.
The fact is that deferrals benefit both sides. Money may have greater value now than later, but tax advantage must also be considered.

Yes the tax advantage is part of it plus they are paying above inflation rate or return on the deferred money, so Ichiro's actually getting a decent deal.

If a player wants it to happen for long term security, I see no reason why it should be considered a negative.

cwsfannick
07-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Question. Does the agent receive his or her cut on the deferred portion if the player no longer needs representation in retirement?

ilsox7
07-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Question. Does the agent receive his or her cut on the deferred portion if the player no longer needs representation in retirement?

It's highly likely (I'd say guaranteed but I have not seen the player/agent K) that the agent gets his percentage based on the value of the entire deal.

South Side Irish
07-18-2007, 10:24 PM
The Diamondbacks had quite a few defer salaries back in the 90's but only until around now, or until the early 2010's.

The Cardinals also had guys like Kile, Edmonds, and Morris defer lots of cash in order to sign guys long term or bring in a free agent. A lot of good that does the now that their owners have gotten dispicably cheap. :angry:

Personally, I think it's a great idea. You've always got 5 Million comming until you're like 75, and by 2030, 5 mil will be nothing to a big league budget/payroll.