PDA

View Full Version : *Official* That's A WHITE SOX WINNER!!! 7/18/2007 Postgame Thread

MCHSoxFan
07-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Exactly what the title of the thread states. Offense, defenense...and HOLY CRAP THE BULLPEN!!! Sure our hitters could be a little more clutch (Bases loaded 1 out, only 1 run scores, ETC). I know our season is over, however, I want the Sox to end with a WINNING record.

GO SOX!!! YEEEEESSSS!!!! KEEP IT UP BOYS!!!!! :D:

soxfanatlanta
07-18-2007, 02:02 PM
Well, what do ya know?

oeo
Great job, Haeger.

Could have been a sweep, but 2/3 in the toughest park for road teams isn't bad.

soxinem1
Charlie leads the team in ERA after only one week!!!!

Soxworldchamps
Ok... who were those pitchers, and where is our REAL bullpen?

INSox56
Sucks that Bobby forgot not to throw meatballs or we would have swept them at home. :(:

thomas35forever
Burly-mon does it again! Our bats start to wake up and we leave Cleveland with a series win!

HawkDJ
07-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Is Chuck already our best option out of the pen?

stl_sox_fan
07-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Man I think this could be the start of a streak.....oh never mind.

Win's a win!

letsgosox1592
07-18-2007, 02:04 PM
Charlie Haeger is our Savior in the bullpen!!!! Great job by him since getting called up. thrown strikes and has been able to get outs. I love it.

:winner

voodoochile
07-18-2007, 02:04 PM
YES!

:winner

Shoulda' been a sweep, but at least we found one bullpen guy who can get outs - Charlie "I can't throw 55" Haeger AKA Mr. Popup.

I'll take it...:supernana:

cheezheadsoxfan
07-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Note to rest of bullpen: It can be done.

Nice win.:bandance:

MeteorsSox4367
Shoulda swept 'em. Buehrle pitched well, got him some run support. These day games during the week gotta go. This whole working thing...oh well, I'll watch the replay tonight.

Let's go get Boston.

Bucky F. Dent
Well that's nice to see in the middle of a work day afternoon.

Go Charlie!!!!!

Mr.1Dog
07-18-2007, 02:07 PM
:bandance:Nice work Charlie! A sweep would have been great, but 2 out of 3 isn't so bad.

downstairs
07-18-2007, 02:08 PM
How quaint. A win.

Foulke You
07-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Wow. Didn't see this coming. I thought we were going to get massacred at Jacobs Field after the debacle against the Orioles over the weekend.

Flight #24
07-18-2007, 02:20 PM
Dare to dream that things pan out as they are currently for Owens & Haeger. That would go a long long way to making next year a bounceback year. If Owens is a legit leadoff guy and Haeger can be the RH setup counterpart to Thornton, you suddenly need 1 OF (the other slot going to Anderson/Sweeney), SS, 2B (possibly resign Iguchi), and 1-2 RPs (behind Jenks-Thornton-Haeger-Logan).

Regardless, nice work team! Now let's see Kenny extract something useful for Dye!

Lillian
BINGO!!! That's what I've been hoping for. Haeger is the potential "one man solution" to our bullpen woes.
He can pitch to lefties and righties, so no more need for match ups, burning all of our few reliable relief pitchers in the same game.
He can pitch every day, and even more than just to a few batters.
He's cheap.
He's a nice "change of pace" from all of the hard throwers.
And best of all, he won't be a free agent for 5 more years.

Tragg
Beating the INdians is always a delight.

For all of the yak about Shapiro and the young Tribe talent, they have yet to see postseason in this era. Hopefully it doesn't start this year and they sit their rears at home.

oeo
07-18-2007, 02:35 PM
BINGO!!! That's what I've been hoping for. Haeger is the potential "one man solution" to our bullpen woes.
He can pitch to lefties and righties, so no more need for match ups, burning all of our few reliable relief pitchers in the same game.
He can pitch every day, and even more than just to a few batters.
He's cheap.
He's a nice "change of pace" from all of the hard throwers.
And best of all, he won't be a free agent for 5 more years.

Well, don't get too excited. He's not going to be lights out everyday because you just don't get that from a knuckleballer. We still need someone to step up.

HotelWhiteSox
07-18-2007, 02:36 PM
Buerhle v Cle = win

Gotta love the Sox, should've swept, after they looked horrible in that Baltimore debacle. Probably'll put up a good fight against Boston too.

Spoiler here we come

itsnotrequired
07-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Buerhle v Cle = win

Gotta love the Sox, should've swept, after they looked horrible in that Baltimore debacle. Probably'll put up a good fight against Boston too.

Spoiler here we come

Buehrle hadn't picked up a win against Cleveland since July of 2005.

Gavin
07-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Chicago, way out of the playoff picture and playing mostly for pride, improved to 3-4 on a season-long, 11-game road trip that will resume Thursday in Boston.It stings y'all, it stings.

Railsplitter
07-18-2007, 03:25 PM
Won game:bandance:

Won series vs oppoent over .500:bandance:

Patrick134
07-18-2007, 03:47 PM
Beating the INdians is always a delight.

For all of the yak about Shapiro and the young Tribe talent, they have yet to see postseason in this era. Hopefully it doesn't start this year and they sit their rears at home.

Their starting pitching has never been good enough after Sabathia to do anything. I don't see that changing soon.

hose
07-18-2007, 03:53 PM
I was listening to the game on the radio and the Score went to commercials during Paulie's ab in the 4th.
By the time the Score got the game back on the Sox scored 3 runs.:bandance:

Hopefully Comcast Sports Net will replay the game tonight.......a stress free Sox game-----ahhhh.

Lillian
07-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Well, don't get too excited. He's not going to be lights out everyday because you just don't get that from a knuckleballer. We still need someone to step up.

Of course he won't be lights out everyday, but at least he could pitch everyday, and more than an inning.

And we all know that a knuckle baller is a liability with guys on base, especially third. However, I remember both Hoyt Wilhelm, and Wilbur Wood, and it was wonderful.

It would be nice if a few other guys "stepped up", as you put it, but the prospects of that happening seem even more remote, than Haeger being able to repeat this kind of performance.

chisoxfanatic
07-18-2007, 04:09 PM
It's about time Buehrle gets run support and stoppage by the bullpen! It's nice to see the Sox get up and hold them down as well.

Let's continue this in Boston now!

HotelWhiteSox
07-18-2007, 04:45 PM
Buehrle hadn't picked up a win against Cleveland since July of 2005.

I meant the team in general, but yeah, I didn't look it up, I figured it'd be better

HotelWhiteSox
07-18-2007, 04:46 PM
ESPN headline: Buehrle brilliant

Tribune headline: Buehrle gets by

Mr.1Dog
07-18-2007, 04:49 PM

Got by with a brilliant win...:cool:

lostfan
07-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Buehrle gets hit off of 10 times and only one earned run? Against the Indians of all teams? Nice.

Dan Mega
07-18-2007, 06:00 PM

At first I thought this was another example of You Write the Cubune Headline, but you ain't kidding. Its what it really says.

Sox win! :bandance::gulp:

santo=dorf
07-18-2007, 06:13 PM
That loss yesterday might cost us big time in late September.

MarySwiss
07-18-2007, 07:15 PM
I didn't see the game (work!) and haven't read the thread yet, but when I saw 1 run on ELEVEN hits, I had to check the ESPN play-by-play and see how that happened. Thought Mark might have maybe picked off seven or eight guys, but I see he just scattered the hits pretty nicely.

One thing puzzled me, though. The play-by-play read that in the ninth, Barfield went to second on "fielder indifference." What the hell is that? And who was the fielder?

nysox35
07-18-2007, 07:21 PM
I didn't see the game (work!) and haven't read the thread yet, but when I saw 1 run on ELEVEN hits, I had to check the ESPN play-by-play and see how that happened. Thought Mark might have maybe picked off seven or eight guys, but I see he just scattered the hits pretty nicely.

One thing puzzled me, though. The play-by-play read that in the ninth, Barfield went to second on "fielder indifference." What the hell is that? And who was the fielder?

It's a stolen base that isn't a stolen base.
Up 5-1, our catcher didn't bother making the throw to 2B.
Basically we conceded the taking of 2B to them = Fielder indifference.

MarySwiss
07-18-2007, 07:24 PM
It's a stolen base that isn't a stolen base.
Up 5-1, our catcher didn't bother making the throw to 2B.
Basically we conceded the taking of 2B to them = Fielder indifference.

Ahh, thanks! I just don't think I've ever seen that wording before. It kind of sounded like Uribe or Iguchi were off picking dandelions or something! :D:

Hitmen77
07-18-2007, 07:53 PM

I like to rip the Trib as much as anyone, but I thought their headline was "Buehrle gets by with a little help from his pen" (as in the Beatles)

Palehose Pete
07-18-2007, 08:31 PM
That loss yesterday might cost us big time in late September.

Here's hoping that it's a meaningful loss, too.

It would be great to get back in this thing.

Palehose Pete
07-18-2007, 08:32 PM
I like to rip the Trib as much as anyone, but I thought their headline was "Buehrle gets by with a little help from his pen" (as in the Beatles)

Yeah, I took it as a Beatles reference, too.

HotelWhiteSox
07-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Too young for the Beatles I guess, but now that I think of it I know the song, my apologies if that's what they meant, I just glanced at it and thought it was a joke to mention the outing as 'getting by'

Nellie_Fox
07-18-2007, 11:56 PM
For all of the yak about Shapiro and the young Tribe talent, they have yet to see postseason in this era. How are you defining "era?" In what "era" did they last make the postseason, and what era are we now in that's different?

ArkanSox
07-19-2007, 01:01 AM
I'm happy for Buehrle. All we can do is take them one at a time and hope that things will eventually get better. Just a thought: Do we really want to unload Dye, if we can sign him at a reasonable price? After all, he is an outfielder (which we need), and he can hit (usually).

Grzegorz
07-19-2007, 04:57 AM
Do we really want to unload Dye, if we can sign him at a reasonable price?

Yes, it's better to trade a player a year too early (and it is questionable if 2007 is a year too early) than a year too late.

If the deal is right make the trade and receive major league talent (a must) in return.

The key is to break up the slow as molasses middle of the lineup and infusing the middle with younger and faster ballplayers.

spiffie
07-19-2007, 09:38 AM
How are you defining "era?" In what "era" did they last make the postseason, and what era are we now in that's different?
I would guess he's referring to the post-Thome/Lofton/Gonzalez/Ramirez/Alomar/Colon era. They had that huge run of success, finishing first or second from 94-01, then everyone started to disappear. After that everything shifted from that era to the Hafner/Martinez/Sabathia/Sizemore group. Perhaps "generation" might be a better team.