PDA

View Full Version : Mack

duke of dorwood
07-18-2007, 01:56 PM
He has really been hitting well of late. Is there any possibility of him playing Second if they do not sign Gooch?

Seems to have the scrappiness of a Scott Fletcher type.

getonbckthr
07-18-2007, 01:58 PM
I was thinking is there any team stupid enough to give something up for him?

soltrain21
07-18-2007, 02:09 PM
White Sox Baseball - The most fickle fans in sports.

Mack has been hitting well as of late; but he is not an everyday player.

JorgeFabregas
07-18-2007, 02:10 PM
His outfield instincts have improved.

letsgosox1592
07-18-2007, 02:10 PM
He has really been hitting well of late. Is there any possibility of him playing Second if they do not sign Gooch?

Seems to have the scrappiness of a Scott Fletcher type.

If I ever see Mack playing 2nd for the Sox I will have to kill myself. Anyway Danny Richar will be the starting 2nd baseman/Shortstop in 2008.

Huisj
07-18-2007, 02:13 PM
I kind of have to agree with the can we get anything for him idea. I mean, he's a nice player to have on the team, and it's a neat story about his Sox roots and all, but including him in a package could up the value of the package a decent bit right now I think.

The Immigrant
07-18-2007, 02:21 PM
A large number of NL teams could use a Dye-Mackowiak package for the stretch run.

Chicken Dinner
07-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Mack is a great bench player. It's just too bad he has to play every day which expose his weaknesses. Keep him!

Tragg
07-18-2007, 02:32 PM
The Dye/Mack package went 4/7 with 2 doubles and 2 RBIs today, while manning both corner outfield spots in a big win over one of the best teams in baseball. They would be great assets for any contender.

Mack's a decent bench player who can play infield or outfield. We will have one (if not 3) of them on the team next year.

The Immigrant
07-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Mack is a great bench player. It's just too bad he has to play every day which expose his weaknesses. Keep him!

We can't afford to pay $3MM for bench players anymore.

Chicken Dinner
07-18-2007, 03:01 PM
We can't afford to pay $3MM for bench players anymore.

Says who? :o: We sure don't invest in our bullpen.

Law11
07-18-2007, 03:32 PM
A large number of NL teams could use a Dye-Mackowiak package for the stretch run.

I was thinking the same thing..
Trade em while their bats are warm.

The Immigrant
07-18-2007, 03:33 PM

I just don't see the team's payroll increasing much next year, and with all the holes we need to fill in the OF and the bullpen, eliminating Mackowiak's salary seems like a logical move (particularly if we can get something in return). In other words, if you want the team to invest in a bullpen, there will have to be some cuts elsewhere.

Foulke You
07-18-2007, 03:35 PM
My thinking is that Andy Gonzalez and/or Jerry Owens has made Mackowiak expendable. Sure, neither are as good with the lumber as Mack but Mack will get 2-3 million while Owens and Andy probably get the league minimum. KW probably already spent those savings on bringing Buehrle back next year. So, even if Mack isn't traded I think he is probably gone unless he is willing to sign for peanuts.

chisoxfanatic
07-18-2007, 04:11 PM
That's the key idea there. He and Ozuna make up pretty good bench players; however, you know your team's in trouble or horridly injured if he becomes a starter. Keep him for next year's bench.

Chicken Dinner
07-18-2007, 04:26 PM
I just don't see the team's payroll increasing much next year, and with all the holes we need to fill in the OF and the bullpen, eliminating Mackowiak's salary seems like a logical move (particularly if we can get something in return). In other words, if you want the team to invest in a bullpen, there will have to be some cuts elsewhere.

With Dyes 6M , Credes 5M, Pods 3M, Cintrons 1.9, and Erstads 1, I would spend the 3.25M for a left handed play anywhere guy that has the 2nd highest average on the team and the 3rd best OBP. It's a no brainer.

Tragg
07-18-2007, 04:31 PM
With Dyes 6M , Credes 5M, Pods 3M, Cintrons 1.9, and Erstads 1, I would spend the 3.25M for a left handed play anywhere guy that has the 2nd highest average on the team and the 3rd best OBP. It's a no brainer.
He hits well for a bench player; I hope we're actively marketing him too.

getonbckthr
07-18-2007, 04:33 PM
I kind of have to agree with the can we get anything for him idea. I mean, he's a nice player to have on the team, and it's a neat story about his Sox roots and all, but including him in a package could up the value of the package a decent bit right now I think.

I could think of a team that wouldn't mind replacing Jacque Jones and Cesar Izturis as well as add a pitcher for their bullpen.
Mackowiak for Rocky Cherry? Why Cherry, really just because of his sweet ass sweet name.

UserNameBlank
07-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Good point, but I think now we'll have to invest a little in the pen. I expect another Dustin Hermanson type signing over the offseason as well as at least one trade where we pick up a proven veteran reliever like Vizcaino was during the 04-05 offseason. I think we'll still stay with the same philosophy as far as trying to get good arms for cheap and hope they produce, but Kenny will definitely address the pen for next year's team.

MISoxfan
07-18-2007, 06:04 PM
I like Mackowiak and I'm glad he's shut up most of the fans who claim he sucks. However, he is expensive for a bench player and if moving him helps us acquire some pen help then go for it.

Jurr
07-18-2007, 10:02 PM
"Not to call out the bullpen, but if they had picked it up a little bit, we really could have been sitting pretty good right now for this road trip," Mackowiak added. "We potentially could have won all but one game."

This is pretty funny.

kittle42
07-18-2007, 10:16 PM
"Not to call out the bullpen, but if they had picked it up a little bit, we really could have been sitting pretty good right now for this road trip," Mackowiak added. "We potentially could have won all but one game."

This is pretty funny.

Maybe the pen can go pick out how many times Mackowiak failed in the OF or at bat. Nice to strike while your bat is hot, there, Rob!

cws05champ
07-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Mackowiak to the Brewers for Yovani Gallardo. He's a bench player that would push them over the top!!!

kevingrt
07-18-2007, 10:50 PM
MAck is a great 10th or 11th guy, enough said.

CHISOXFAN13
07-19-2007, 12:46 AM
That's the key idea there. He and Ozuna make up pretty good bench players; however, you know your team's in trouble or horridly injured if he becomes a starter. Keep him for next year's bench.

A team option for 3.5 mildo. I like Mack, but with the amount of holes this team had, I hope he's playing elsewhere.

FedEx227
07-19-2007, 03:36 AM

This is a tallest midget argument though. Great, he has the 2nd highest average on the worst AVG team in the league and the 3rd best OBP on the worst OBP team in the league. How does he stack up against counterparts playing the same positions? Not so well.

With that being said, I've always been one of his biggest doubters but his hitting has been solid, but I pray for the year when he can truly be the super sub for us, and not a starter.

seventyseven
07-19-2007, 08:18 AM
My thinking is that Andy Gonzalez and/or Jerry Owens has made Mackowiak expendable. Sure, neither are as good with the lumber as Mack but Mack will get 2-3 million while Owens and Andy probably get the league minimum. KW probably already spent those savings on bringing Buehrle back next year. So, even if Mack isn't traded I think he is probably gone unless he is willing to sign for peanuts.

If we are serious about winning next year, Andy Gonzalez will not be on the 25-man roster. I still can't understand why he's here in the first place.

chisoxfanatic
07-19-2007, 08:59 AM
If we are serious about winning next year, Andy Gonzalez will not be on the 25-man roster. I still can't understand why he's here in the first place.

I can't either. It's painfully obvious that this is the perfect time for Sweeney to get great experience at this level, which could lead to him being great here next year. Owens, Gonzalez, and Terrero all shouldn't be given playing time over Sweeney.

PatK
07-19-2007, 09:31 AM
White Sox Baseball - The most fickle fans in sports.

I agree.

To many people are still basing their opinion on him of the horrible plays he made in big games last year playing center, because BA couldn't hit a beach ball.

He's fine bench player, not an everyday, and you can't blame him for being put in the starter's position. He's improved in the field this year and is fine as long as you keep him out of center.

seventyseven
07-19-2007, 09:49 AM
I can't either. It's painfully obvious that this is the perfect time for Sweeney to get great experience at this level, which could lead to him being great here next year. Owens, Gonzalez, and Terrero all shouldn't be given playing time over Sweeney.

The only thing I can think of is that KW is hoping some or all of Owens, Gonzalez, and Terrero perform well, impress scouts, and can be traded (either by themselves or as part of a package) for young players that have a future with the Sox. Meanwhile, Sweeney can refine his swing at AAA.

I feel like the Sox might be doing the same thing with Haeger right now, but I really hope they keep the kid.

Cuck_The_Fubs
07-19-2007, 10:36 PM
The only thing I can think of is that KW is hoping some or all of Owens, Gonzalez, and Terrero perform well, impress scouts, and can be traded (either by themselves or as part of a package) for young players that have a future with the Sox. Meanwhile, Sweeney can refine his swing at AAA.

I feel like the Sox might be doing the same thing with Haeger right now, but I really hope they keep the kid.
Thanks for pointing that fact out to me. It went right over my head :smile:.