PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds not starting for the third straight game

chaerulez
07-18-2007, 02:10 PM
Four home runs away from being the steroid HR king, nice to see Barry sit out these road games as he wouldn't want to get close in Chicago or Milwaukee would he? Not when he has a seven game homestand coming up to make sure he doesn't get booed out of the building when he hits 755. It'll be funny if he can only get to 754, what are the Giants going to do? Sit him out the entire next road trip? This guy is a coward and I hate him.

jdm2662
07-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Once he reaches 754, I seriously want him walked every time he's up to the plate, if feasible of course. Give him the treatment the Japs do when an American player is about to break their league record. That would be too funny.

Mr.1Dog
07-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Once he reaches 754, I seriously want him walked every time he's up to the plate, if feasible of course.

I was thinking this last night. Since he is sitting out because of his "knee", why don't pitchers and managers just not pitch to him. Even before he gets to 754, just stop pitching to him all together. It's understandable if there are men on and what not, but why not just avoid pitching to him at home and on the road? Just keep walking him so he never reaches the milestone.

chaerulez
07-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Or each team can just sign Russ Springer to plunk him each time.

For those that need an explanation, Springer was the pitcher that intentionally threw at Bonds. The first couple were just really inside, I think he threw one that went behind Bonds and the finally he just nailed him on the shoulder. He left to a nice standing ovation from the crowd. He also threw at him in 2004. He would not give a reason to why he did it. I don't think he needs to. Rumor is Bonds showed him up in a HR once. I saw some highlight clips of Bonds hitting some HRs and it reminded me of Peavy and Wells being mad at Soriano. Soriano says he thought the ball was going foul so that's why he was turned around, looking at it, whatever the case I've seen some Bonds HR trots that were way worse. Where he just spins around after the ball clears the wall after 10 seconds of long staring. I would be shocked if he has never done something like this to the Padres since they are in the same division and play each other 20 times a year or so. I agree with you guys, just don't pitch to the guy. He is a joke and a disgrace to the history of this game and everything this game has meant to this country and its people.

Gavin
07-18-2007, 02:45 PM
It's as if the Giants are trying to make money off this guy!!

:rolleyes:

Fenway
07-18-2007, 02:50 PM
It's as if the Giants are trying to make money off this guy!!

:rolleyes:

I am surprised he is not trying to get at least a little closer while on the road.

Be funny as hell after all this he DOESN'T break the record this year. Then what?

HawkDJ
07-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Be funny as hell after all this he DOESN'T break the record this year. Then what?

Sort of like that movie Mr. 3000, he'll probably stick it out somewhere until he breaks that damn record.

Chicken Dinner
07-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Maybe that knee will blow and he won't get it. :smile: I bet if he's still 1 short on the last day of the season, the commish and Aaron will show up.:D:

letsgosox1592
07-18-2007, 03:34 PM
I would laugh if he got to like 754 and the season ended and no one wanted him in the offseason and he has to retire. I hate him so much. He is the biggest cheater in baseball.

palehozenychicty
07-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Four home runs away from being the steroid HR king, nice to see Barry sit out these road games as he wouldn't want to get close in Chicago or Milwaukee would he? Not when he has a seven game homestand coming up to make sure he doesn't get booed out of the building when he hits 755. It'll be funny if he can only get to 754, what are the Giants going to do? Sit him out the entire next road trip? This guy is a coward and I hate him.

This is the saddest facet of the whole story, that now he's too scared to bat on the road. :(:

Gavin
07-18-2007, 03:45 PM
This is the saddest facet of the whole story, that now he's too scared to bat on the road. :(:

SF is just trying to make money off their own star, brah. Besides, Barry has some tired legs. I think that's what they are calling it.

HawkDJ
07-18-2007, 03:46 PM
I would laugh if he got to like 754 and the season ended and no one wanted him in the offseason and he has to retire. I hate him so much. He is the biggest cheater in baseball.

Think it's safe to say even if he only hits 3 more home runs and even with the bad publicity, some team would take a shot on a guy who's on base 50% of the time.

thomas35forever
07-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Maybe that knee will blow and he won't get it. :smile:
I normally wouldn't wish that on a human being, but one can only hope for this to happen.

Law11
07-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Whats funny is it's not like he's been mashing the ball. Who's to say he gets this record at home on their homestand.. He needs at least 2 in Milwaukee in my opinion. So does he sit again on the road if this next homestand turns into a whole lotta nothing...

Sad thing is I used to be a real fan of this guy. The whole steroid thing aside the guy is just a jerk.. Thats where my dislike for him comes in.

I mean for any of us to say we didnt have a clue when him sosa, mac etc were on enhancements would be a joke. There was no governing of it and we were all for the excitement of the Homerun then. To act now like its a shock is goofy. Its just the attitude of these guys in denying it that gets me.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-18-2007, 06:37 PM
That home run trot he did on a foul ball at the ASG really pissed me off :angry:

balke
07-19-2007, 10:49 AM
I was thinking about this this morning. People and radio shows are all up in arms about 42 year old Barry Bonds sitting out some road games, even though he has complained of leg fatigue and soreness before the all-star break. But, somehow noone raises as much of a question about Clemens getting 28 million to play home games all season, for 2 years straight. You wanna talk about a franchise hogging a player?

JB98
07-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Bonds is in the lineup today, and he just lit Ted Lilly's ass up deep on the first pitch he saw.

downstairs
07-19-2007, 02:54 PM
I've decided that the only way I'd enjoy 755 and 756 is if he gets them all in this here series.

3 today and 2 tomorrow? Make it so!

JB98
07-19-2007, 03:00 PM
I've decided that the only way I'd enjoy 755 and 756 is if he gets them all in this here series.

3 today and 2 tomorrow? Make it so!

Today is the last game of a four-game set at Wrigley, isn't it? Maybe Bonds will hit five against the Cubs today. :D:

Fenway
07-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Good lord look at suntimes.com

BREAKING NEWS
ALERT >> (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/475910,071907bondsa.article)

Bonds hits 752nd home run at Wrigley (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/475910,071907bondsa.article)

San Francisco Giants slugger Barry Bonds hit his 752nd career home run, belting the first pitch from Cubs left-hander Ted Lilly onto Sheffield Avenue, to lead off the second inning today at Wrigley Field.

http://www.suntimes.com/index.html

itsnotrequired
07-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Today is the last game of a four-game set at Wrigley, isn't it? Maybe Bonds will hit five against the Cubs today. :D:

Correct, last game of the series is today.

salty99
07-19-2007, 03:30 PM
The rest must have helped. 2-2 with 3 RBI's already.

knocko94
07-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Just went deep again.

itsnotrequired
07-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Just went deep again.

:mg:

DirtySouthsider
07-19-2007, 04:51 PM
The rest must have helped. 2-2 with 3 RBI's already.

Make that 3-3 with 6 RBI's!

VenturaFan23
07-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Just went deep again.

Looks like Sportscenter will have their first 45 minutes filled up tonight

South Side Irish
07-19-2007, 04:53 PM
I understand wanting to be a "real" Cub fan and throw the ball back, but I wonder what #753 will fetch? I sure wouldn't throw it back! Not that the kid did anyway... it was pretty clear he switched balls. Can't believe dumb Cub fans still fall for this stuff, throwing "special" balls back like that.

palehozenychicty
07-19-2007, 04:53 PM

If Barry singlehandedly beats the Cubs today, that'll be great. :D:

Patrick134
07-19-2007, 04:54 PM

How about the douchebags in the bleachers berating the kid, until he throws back a fake ball. Throwing back balls is as lame as it gets, even moreso than the wave. And throwing back fake ones is just as lame. Maybe in honor of Bonds if someone had thrown back some shrunken balls I'd at least give them an A for effort.

balke
07-19-2007, 04:55 PM
That's what the media gets for jumping on his back. His OBP is .500 for a reason.

DumpJerry
07-19-2007, 05:07 PM
How about the douchebags in the bleachers berating the kid, until he throws back a fake ball. Throwing back balls is as lame as it gets, even moreso than the wave. And throwing back fake ones is just as lame. Maybe in honor of Bonds if someone had thrown back some shrunken balls I'd at least give them an A for effort.
:rolling: POTW!

cbotnyse
07-19-2007, 05:13 PM
How about the douchebags in the bleachers berating the kid, until he throws back a fake ball. Throwing back balls is as lame as it gets, even moreso than the wave. And throwing back fake ones is just as lame. Maybe in honor of Bonds if someone had thrown back some shrunken balls I'd at least give them an A for effort.Pun of the week!

HotelWhiteSox
07-19-2007, 05:29 PM
woot, the 2nd HR today got me a free lunch tomorrow

chaerulez
07-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Now what happens? I'm sure Bonds wants to tie and break the record at home. That means he only has room to hit 754 at Milwaukee. So we can expect him to play one game in the three game series there. Maybe two, he just won't swing for the fences after he hits 754.

nug0hs
07-19-2007, 07:07 PM
I think its pretty clear now that Bonds benches himself intentionally so that he can hit the last few at home. Clearly, Bonds is a player who can flip a switch and step up his game at the time of his choosing. He has "sore legs" and doesn't feel like playing, then all of a sudden hits 2 in one game, just days before a 7 game homestand begins? Just another reason to call him a fraud...

Huisj
07-19-2007, 07:10 PM
ESPN BREAKING NEWS!!!!

They just broke in to SportsCenter to tell us this big breaking news!! What is it? Umm, uh . . . Bud Selig hasn't made up his mind yet whether he'll go to the Giants-Brewers games this weekend.

I thought about putting the breaking news part in teal, but that's really what they called it. They said breaking news and acted all urgent about it. How is someone not yet making a decision breaking news?

Oldfellah
07-19-2007, 08:42 PM
How is someone not yet making a decision breaking news?

:rolling:
:sahaf

MarySwiss
07-19-2007, 09:02 PM
ESPN BREAKING NEWS!!!!
How is someone not yet making a decision breaking news?

Seriously! Shouldn't it be "Breaking Non-news"?

itsnotrequired
07-20-2007, 07:57 AM
I think its pretty clear now that Bonds benches himself intentionally so that he can hit the last few at home. Clearly, Bonds is a player who can flip a switch and step up his game at the time of his choosing. He has "sore legs" and doesn't feel like playing, then all of a sudden hits 2 in one game, just days before a 7 game homestand begins? Just another reason to call him a fraud...

:?:

Then why wouldn't he just hit two or three home runs every game? He could have broke the record 15 years ago and already be approaching the 2,000 HR milestone.

balke
07-20-2007, 09:34 AM
He has "sore legs" and doesn't feel like playing, then all of a sudden hits 2 in one game, just days before a 7 game homestand begins? Just another reason to call him a fraud...

1) The guy is 42 years old and was sore and playing through it before the all-star break. How does that make him a fraud?

2) Seeing how he was in a slump, pitchers weren't afraid to pitch to him this game, and you now see why he gets walked so much.

3) If it was our long time franchise star player (like Frank when he was here) going for a record I'd have no problem if he tried breaking it at home.

Bonds is only one of a miriad of steroid users people have watched the past 20-30 years if not longer. I think in some small way there's justice to all of this, that baseball will be marred by their own mishandling of the situation. It'll be up to someone outside of the steroid error to break the record Bonds sets, and put the shame of this era to rest. I think for that reason, I won't boo Bonds so much when he breaks it, I'll boo baseball and Selig.

downstairs
07-20-2007, 02:24 PM
By the way, as many of you may know... Aaron also wanted to break Ruth's record at home. He threatened to sit out a series in Cincinatti. The commish at the time told him he could not do that.

There is obvious prescident for Bud to force him to play (and I'd go as far as analyze how he's playing to see if he's deliberately not going for the home run).

Any talk of this?

Chicken Dinner
07-20-2007, 02:39 PM
All this Bonds crap is worst than election ****. The media is out of control. Just hit the ****ing thing so we can get on with the season and talk about teams and players that matter.