PDA

View Full Version : No Changes Coming (Or Minor Ones)

Domeshot17
07-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Kenny joined the team on the road, and said he is just going to stick with what we have. Said he knows the team is underachieving, but its a good team that can turn it around (I want some of what he is smoking).

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2940242

cws05champ
07-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Kenny joined the team on the road, and said he is just going to stick with what we have. Said he knows the team is underachieving, but its a good team that can turn it around (I want some of what he is smoking).

Posturing...nothing more. He is trying to wait out Dye getting hot or for Jose to get his **** together. I think he may be trying to to get other teams realize that he may not make a move and possibly drive up Dye's price between Pads,Dodgers, Mets.

balke
07-17-2007, 08:27 PM
If he buys a couple relievers in the postseason, and lets everyone get healthy, he might be right. Macdougal might be back to form next season, and Pods and Erstad could start the season healthy. If he wants he can throw Andruw Jones in CF next to Dye in RF. I won't put up a fight.

thomas35forever
07-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Williams said the club has been hurt by the loss of right-hander Mike MacDougal (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6666), who is on the 15-day DL with right shoulder inflammation.

I want some of what he is smoking.

Yeah, same here. Though the only time I intentionally inhaled tobacco smoke was through my nose, KW's tobacco (or whatever) must have large effects on him.

SoxFanDan
07-17-2007, 08:32 PM
whenever KW says something, usually it means the opposite.

Goose
07-17-2007, 08:48 PM
whenever KW says something, usually it means the opposite.

Bizzaro Kenny

Tragg
07-17-2007, 08:51 PM
This team needs some young offensive talent - speed, the ability to get on base and hit for extra basis.

It's cynical, if not insulting, for Sox brass to suggest that the problem with this offense is injuries to Podsednik and Erstad.

southsideirish71
07-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Yeah, same here. Though the only time I intentionally inhaled tobacco smoke was through my nose, KW's tobacco (or whatever) must have large effects on him.

I thought they have been hurt by the fact that they are not very good as a team. Hopefully this is trader kenny putting a good poker face up,

Bringing back Pods and Erstad next year is the equivalent of the Cubs relying on Prior and Wood. If he does that, and rests the season on that combo again. He will need to resign.

KRS1
07-17-2007, 09:01 PM
The title of this thread, and the original description of the article are misleading. No where in there does he say, "no trades are coming, were standing pat," or "we will only do minor changes." He said he doesnt want to blow things up, but that doesnt mean he isnt looking to improve the club through trades and change.

"A big breakup, a demolition, is not needed," he said. "There's a lot of talent on this ballclub and we need to bring it out and maybe add some parts. If the opportunity presents itself to upgrade or shuffle the deck, I have been given no reason not to do it."

It means he doesnt want to sell off everybody, and put up the white flag of rebuilding, but it certainly sounds like he is willing to make deals to improve our team.

oeo
07-17-2007, 09:26 PM
This team needs some young offensive talent - speed, the ability to get on base and hit for extra basis.

It's cynical, if not insulting, for Sox brass to suggest that the problem with this offense is injuries to Podsednik and Erstad.

I love how these threads come up every couple of weeks and everyone thinks Kenny is 'smoking something.'

If he's not getting any good offers, what's he supposed to do? He said 'if the opportunity presents itself' (i.e. he gets a good offer), he will make a deal. He's obviously not getting what he wants, so there's no reason to think he wants to sit pat. What do you want him to do, just dump the whole team for nothing?

There's still two weeks before the deadline, and a lot can happen. It looks like Dye is starting to heat up, so Kenny could get a good offer at the deadline for him. You just have to be patient.

champagne030
07-17-2007, 09:34 PM
If he buys a couple relievers in the postseason, and lets everyone get healthy, he might be right. Macdougal might be back to form next season, and Pods and Erstad could start the season healthy. If he wants he can throw Andruw Jones in CF next to Dye in RF. I won't put up a fight.

They could start the ST that way, but the chance they play a 125 games combined next season is slim and none.

soxwon
07-17-2007, 10:07 PM

Its official then- Big deals coming quickly.
Anytime a GM denies it, things happen fast.

Kogs35
07-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Tomorrow is Wensday lol doesn't Kenny like to work on wensdays?

Tragg
07-17-2007, 10:16 PM
I love how these threads come up every couple of weeks and everyone thinks Kenny is 'smoking something.'

If he's not getting any good offers, what's he supposed to do? He said 'if the opportunity presents itself' (i.e. he gets a good offer), he will make a deal. He's obviously not getting what he wants, so there's no reason to think he wants to sit pat. What do you want him to do, just dump the whole team for nothing?
We aren't going to get any "good" offers for podesdenik and erstad. That's pretty much a given. It's not that unusual for sports teams to suddenly go sour. It happens extremely frequently. It happened to the Sox. This team would have had offensive problems with a healthy Pods and Erstad.
So yes, I think he needs to make changes to certain personnel, even though it will mean simply not exercising some options and getting nothing for some players.
Otherwise, for players with value, there's no reason to give them away, I agree..patience.

SluggersAway
07-17-2007, 10:21 PM
This thread sucks!

Totally misleading headline and description.

Did you miss this quote from KW submitter?

"We thought the back of the 'pen was solid. We've got a great manager, a great pitching coach. They're not guilty. It's because I didn't get the right pieces. So, now it is back to the drawing board."

Lip Man 1
07-17-2007, 10:28 PM
I admire Kenny for showing up and taking the heat. Granted he's earned the heat, but not a lot of folks will openly admit it...most try to hide from it.

He gets major points for this in my book. He'll earn more points this off season when he fixes it.

I'm confident he will because he has no choice. He'll lose his veterans if they have to sit there and go through this again next season.

Lip

voodoochile
07-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Allow me to translate:

:KW
"We suck. I know we suck. I can't justify spending more money on such a bunch of sucking sucks. Besides JR won't let me suck any more money out of his wallet this year. However, I don't want to trade off all of the players who are sucking for fear the fans will say I suck and then demand I get fired for putting together such a sucky team. In addition, I definitely don't want to white flag it because the fans think that sucks and I really can't get much for the sucky players I am willing to actually trade - which truly sucks. It sucks to be me and it sucks to be you, but look at the bright side, it doesn't suck as much as it sucks to be a member of the team right now."

hi im skot
07-17-2007, 11:15 PM

Personally, I hope they never play another game with the Sox again. I'm tired of counting on them.

A. Cavatica
07-17-2007, 11:25 PM
Personally, I hope they never play another game with the Sox again. I'm tired of counting on them.

I'm tired of counting on Pods. I was never dumb enough to count on Erstad.

JB98
07-17-2007, 11:44 PM
KW is probably posturing. I'll be stunned if he does nothing.

I do hope that people understand that there is no point in selling off Dye and Iguchi for mid-level prospects. The draft picks we get if we lose them in free agency are worth more than B prospects that have no better than a 50-50 shot of working out.

Frater Perdurabo
07-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Bringing back Pods and Erstad next year is the equivalent of the Cubs relying on Prior and Wood.

That's an excellent analogy.

oeo
07-18-2007, 12:14 AM

1)No it's not. The Cubs for the past few years relied on those two guys anchoring the top of their rotation. They're four guys that are injury prone, those are the only similarities.

2)This analogy has been used and abused all season...it's old.

Noneck
07-18-2007, 12:33 AM

If Prior and Wood came through in 03 and they won it all like the Sox and Pod did in 05, then maybe. Pod earned the look this year. (next year,unfortunately he doesn't but stranger things have happened) But Erstad was just a cheap hopeful pick up to fill a hole for this year, don't look at it as anything more.

santo=dorf
07-18-2007, 05:40 AM
1)No it's not. The Cubs for the past few years relied on those two guys anchoring the top of their rotation. They're four guys that are injury prone, those are the only similarities.

2)This analogy has been used and abused all season...it's old.
KW said this team lacked the "Grinder attitude" which is why he signed Erstad. Sounds like he's relying on him a lot.

Wood and Prior healthy are a lot better than Erstad and Pods healthy as well.

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2007, 06:52 AM
Bringing back Pods and Erstad next year is the equivalent of the Cubs relying on Prior and Wood. If he does that, and rests the season on that combo again. He will need to resign.

Noneck and oeo:

Re-read southsideirish71's post. He didn't compare Pods and Erstad with Prior and Wood. He didn't say it was a mistake to rely on them this year (southside may believe that, but we can only go on what he wrote).

He said that for NEXT YEAR, RELYING two injury prone players to be 2/3rds of the starting outfield and the 1-2 hitters - and primary "speed" players in the lineup - is the equivalent of RELYING on two injury-prone pitchers to be 2/5ths of the starting rotation, like the Cubs have done in the past.

That is the analogy with which I agreed. :smile:

wdelaney72
07-18-2007, 09:35 AM
and I'll second your agreement...

Erstad was the only change in the outfield, when we all knew we desperately needed a CF. I'd say that's relying pretty heavily on a guy who may have been cheap, but was expected to be an important piece of the puzzle. Erstad is a 4th outfielder AT BEST.

spiffie
07-18-2007, 10:07 AM
KW is probably posturing. I'll be stunned if he does nothing.

I do hope that people understand that there is no point in selling off Dye and Iguchi for mid-level prospects. The draft picks we get if we lose them in free agency are worth more than B prospects that have no better than a 50-50 shot of working out.
So its likely a choice between some other team's high-ceiling prospects that have fizzled out (Gavin Floyd) or our own low-ceiling prospects that are drafted on the basis of who will sign the cheapest?

Chicken Dinner
07-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Kenny has always made his moves early. If he was going to do anything it would have already been done. I don't see anything happening. :?:

balke
07-18-2007, 10:52 AM
Kenny has always made his moves early. If he was going to do anything it would have already been done. I don't see anything happening. :?:

I think that's when he's buying. As a seller, its better to wait. Teams like Boston have to think long and hard about adding Jermaine Dye over J.D. Drew, and teams with pitching needs have to decide how important it would be to go after Contreras Garland or Vazquez.

KRS1
07-18-2007, 10:56 AM

We acquired Mike MacDougal on July 24th, and acquired Contreras July 31st in our last two in-season trades.

Chicken Dinner
07-18-2007, 11:25 AM
We acquired Mike MacDougal on July 24th, and acquired Contreras July 31st in our last two in-season trades.

Yeah, I guess we got Blum on 7/31 also.

KRS1
07-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I guess we got Blum on 7/31 also.

Damn, I knew there was someone I was forgetting. I dont know how I could forget Geoff.

JB98
07-18-2007, 12:16 PM
So its likely a choice between some other team's high-ceiling prospects that have fizzled out (Gavin Floyd) or our own low-ceiling prospects that are drafted on the basis of who will sign the cheapest?

That's a cynical point of view. I would rather have a draft pick than someone like Gavin Floyd, or a mid-level prospect.

spiffie
07-18-2007, 12:22 PM
That's a cynical point of view. I would rather have a draft pick than someone like Gavin Floyd, or a mid-level prospect.
Under other circumstances I would agree. But considering the Sox policy on drafting I don't see much difference. The organization has mostly gone for low-ceiling guys who will be easy to sign. In a way, I'd rather take a shot with another team's high-ceiling guy who might need a change of scenery over our own choices.