PDA

View Full Version : A trade might happen real soon

Rockabilly
07-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Ed Farmer mention that he didn't talk to Ozzie today for the pre-game show because Ozzie and KW are in a close door meeting discussing possible changes...

Could we see something with in the next 24 hours and if so what do you think will happen

who will be gone

chaerulez
07-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Hopefully it's Jose.

oeo
07-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Maybe they're talking about who's going down when Pods and Erstad come back up for a few days before they go back on the DL?

Mr. White Sox
07-17-2007, 06:43 PM
I hate to keep posting this, but my gut feeling is Garland. If the Conor Jackson rumors are actually true, Garland for Conor Jackson, Tony Pena and another hi-level prospect makes sense.

Also, "closed-door meetings" definitely don't guarantee a move. Maybe KW was discussing Ozzie's future after his contract, or talking about re-signing Garland, or even giving him orders to play the young kids more often.

Who knows.

dickallen15
07-17-2007, 06:57 PM
I was reading the old BP prediction of a 72-90 season thread last night. Most of us were up in arms. Before last night the White Sox actually were 72-90 their last 162 games.The funny thing about the thread was someone heard them discussing it on the radio, and BP actually backtracked a little bit citing the strength of the White Sox bullpen.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-17-2007, 06:58 PM
I hate to keep posting this, but my gut feeling is Garland. If the Conor Jackson rumors are actually true, Garland for Conor Jackson, Tony Pena and another hi-level prospect makes sense.

I've always felt like Garland would be moved. But I wouldn't be surprised to see both him and Jose gone by the start of next season.

ilsox7
07-17-2007, 07:03 PM

Also, "closed-door meetings" definitely don't guarantee a move. Maybe KW was discussing Ozzie's future after his contract, or talking about re-signing Garland, or even giving him orders to play the young kids more often.

Who knows.

My gut has been Gar, too. I really thought it was either Mark or Jon, but not both. Gar has the highest trade value on our team. I hope he stays, but if the deal is right, I could understand him being moved.

thomas35forever
07-17-2007, 07:06 PM
I was reading the old BP prediction of a 72-90 season thread last night. Most of us were up in arms. Before last night the White Sox actually were 72-90 their last 162 games.The funny thing about the thread was someone heard them discussing it on the radio, and BP actually backtracked a little bit citing the strength of the White Sox bullpen.
Right now, the Sox are projected to win 73 games, so I guess BP will be wrong again.

JermaineDye05
07-17-2007, 07:15 PM
maybe another call up, be it Erstad, Pods, Sweeney, or Richar. I read somewhere that Kenny was quoted as saying that Richar would be up this season with the way he's been hitting in Charlotte.

sircaffey1
07-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Hopefully its about 5 players/manager...

palehozenychicty
07-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Que sera, sera.

:D:

Tragg
07-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Maybe they're talking about who's going down when Pods and Erstad come back
Or maybe Kenny's breaking the news to Ozzie: "You're .400 hitter has been traded......"

If we're really trading Jon Garland, we should get an absolute haul, shouldn't we? A lot more than what we gave for Vasquez and his 5+ ERA.

goon
07-17-2007, 07:33 PM
If we're really trading Jon Garland, we should get an absolute haul, shouldn't we? A lot more than what we gave for Vasquez and his 5+ ERA.

I'm thinking that too. Buehrle has been unbelievable lately, but Garland was one of the top 2 pitchers in all of baseball in 2005-2006 as far as wins and considering he is signed through the next two seasons (I believe), he should command something DAMN good in this market.

The Immigrant
07-17-2007, 07:38 PM
I'm thinking that too. Buehrle has been unbelievable lately, but Garland was one of the top 2 pitchers in all of baseball in 2005-2006 as far as wins and considering he is signed through the next two seasons (I believe), he should command something DAMN good in this market.

He's only signed through 2008. Vazquez had two full seasons left on his deal when he was traded to the Sox.

The Rockies got Taveras, Bucholtz and Hirsch from Houston for one full year of Jason Jennings.

Tragg
07-17-2007, 07:41 PM
He's only signed through 2008. Vazquez had two full seasons left on his deal when he was traded to the Sox.

The Rockies got Taveras, Bucholtz and Hirsch from Houston for one full year of Jason Jennings.
Hirsch was a top prospect; Bucholtz was sort of like Floyd and Taveras was a work in process, but with decent, not great, tools.
Of couse, Garland's a lot better than Jennings.

gosox41
07-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Right now, the Sox are projected to win 73 games, so I guess BP will be wrong again.

:D::D:

Grzegorz
07-18-2007, 05:34 AM
Trade Garland only if the return is a "sure thing". Of course, there is no such thing as a sure thing so keep one of the better starters in the league.

I have a difficult time breaking up the strong suit off this team to answer the position player question only to address the starting staff before the 2008 season begins.

Dye is hitting better so if he keeps it up he will be an asset to trade. I'd also think about moving Thome too.

This middle of the lineup has to be broken up; they are slower than slow.

harwar
07-18-2007, 08:19 AM
Ed Farmer mentioned that he didn't talk to Ozzie today for the pre-game show because Ozzie and KW are in a close door meeting discussing possible changes...

ozzie .. "I don't know whats' goin on, don't you?"
kennny .."I have no idea what is happening."
ozzie .."Maybe we got a jonah or somethin,all i know is that i'm sick to death of eating sunflower seeds,maybe we should try something else."
Kenny .. "Agreed .. lets go.'

Frontman
07-18-2007, 09:33 AM
It could also have been KW ripping into Ozzie for saying he found the bullpen performances "Funny."

:KW"Quite frankly, Ozzie; I don't see anything as being funny. Do I look like I'm laughing? Quite frankly, their play has begun to piss me off."

:ozzie"Hey, I only work wit' what I got, Kenny. I ask for racehorses, you give me mules. You see Coop's face last night after the parade of 'pen pitchers? I'ma thinkin' next game; let him take the mound. Couldn't be worse than the kids we put out there. Either that, or grab a tee and put it on the plate."

:KW"And let me guess. You want to play shortstop again."

:ozzie"I still have my glove."

russ99
07-18-2007, 10:17 AM
It could also have been KW ripping into Ozzie for saying he found the bullpen performances "Funny."

:KW"Quite frankly, Ozzie; I don't see anything as being funny. Do I look like I'm laughing? Quite frankly, their play has begun to piss me off."

:ozzie"Hey, I only work wit' what I got, Kenny. I ask for racehorses, you give me mules. You see Coop's face last night after the parade of 'pen pitchers? I'ma thinkin' next game; let him take the mound. Couldn't be worse than the kids we put out there. Either that, or grab a tee and put it on the plate."

:KW"And let me guess. You want to play shortstop again."

:ozzie"I still have my glove."

:D: Nice.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to think the Sox would be better off if Ozzie was at SS instead of Uribe.

rdivaldi
07-18-2007, 10:19 AM
This middle of the lineup has to be broken up; they are slower than slow.

You do realize of course that the middle of 99% of all lineups are "slow".

INSox56
07-18-2007, 01:23 PM
It'll be within the next 11 and a half hours from now, book it. :wink: IT'S WHITE SOX WEDNESDAY BABY
maybe another call up, be it Erstad, Pods, Sweeney, or Richar. I read somewhere that Kenny was quoted as saying that Richar would be up this season with the way he's been hitting in Charlotte.
Richar went 4-4 the other night.... .358 avg so far. I think I read he's a streaky hitter, but this is a pretty long streak I think, jeepers.

champagne030
07-18-2007, 02:37 PM
You do realize of course that the middle of 99% of all lineups are "slow".

That's incorrect. I can think of several teams, off the top of my head, that are not slow in the middle of the lineup. Minnesota, Detroit, Dodgers, Angels, Cardinals, D-Backs and the Flubs.

russ99
07-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Hirsch was a top prospect; Bucholtz was sort of like Floyd and Taveras was a work in process, but with decent, not great, tools.
Of couse, Garland's a lot better than Jennings.

Which of course, are the same players (reportedly) Astros GM Tim Purpura turned down when Kenny offered Garland to him. Looks pretty stupid now, but really smart on Kenny's end.

Taveras is a pretty good player going into his 3rd year. Lead off man, slap-hitter with great wheels and a cannon arm. He was leading the NL in batting at one point this season. The Astros thought him expendable due to Hunter Pence.

I have to wonder if Garland's really on the market, and if he is, why not go after Milledge or better yet Crawford than some borderline prospects from Arizona.

letsgosox1592
07-18-2007, 03:14 PM
I keep on saying this that the Sox are going to trade Jermaine Dye to the Dodgers for SS prospect Chin Lung Hu....He won the Futures game MVP.

downstairs
07-18-2007, 03:24 PM
My guess, the following players will be released or traded:

Mark Buehrle
Ryan Bukvich
Jose Contreras
John Danks
Dewon Day
Jon Garland
Charlie Haeger
Bobby Jenks
Boone Logan
Mike MacDougal
Matt Thornton
Javier Vazquez
Ehren Wassermann
Toby Hall
A.J. Pierzynski
Alex Cintron
Joe Crede
Josh Fields
Tadahito Iguchi
Paul Konerko
Pablo Ozuna
Juan Uribe
Jermaine Dye
Darin Erstad
Andy Gonzalez
Rob Mackowiak
Jerry Owens
Scott Podsednik
Luis Terrero
Jim Thome

letsgosox1592
07-18-2007, 03:27 PM

Mark Buehrle
Ryan Bukvich
Jose Contreras
John Danks
Dewon Day
Jon Garland
Charlie Haeger
Bobby Jenks
Boone Logan
Mike MacDougal
Matt Thornton
Javier Vazquez
Ehren Wassermann
Toby Hall
A.J. Pierzynski
Alex Cintron
Joe Crede
Josh Fields
Tadahito Iguchi
Paul Konerko
Pablo Ozuna
Juan Uribe
Jermaine Dye
Darin Erstad
Andy Gonzalez
Rob Mackowiak
Jerry Owens
Scott Podsednik
Luis Terrero
Jim Thome

Lookes like the Single A team will be starting for the Sox in 2008. Will Ozzie's kid start at short?

Chicken Dinner
07-18-2007, 03:35 PM

Mark Buehrle
Ryan Bukvich
Jose Contreras
John Danks
Dewon Day
Jon Garland
Charlie Haeger
Bobby Jenks
Boone Logan
Mike MacDougal
Matt Thornton
Javier Vazquez
Ehren Wassermann
Toby Hall
A.J. Pierzynski
Alex Cintron
Joe Crede
Josh Fields
Tadahito Iguchi
Paul Konerko
Pablo Ozuna
Juan Uribe
Jermaine Dye
Darin Erstad
Andy Gonzalez
Rob Mackowiak
Jerry Owens
Scott Podsednik
Luis Terrero
Jim Thome

Looks like all those Masset lovers will get to see him pitch again.:tongue:

KRS1
07-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Which of course, are the same players (reportedly) Astros GM Tim Purpura turned down when Kenny offered Garland to him. Looks pretty stupid now, but really smart on Kenny's end.

I believe Kenny was the one who turned down the deal because he wanted Pence included. I could be wrong about this but wasnt Purpura saying things are still going on there(with us) to the media, while KW was saying there wasnt a match after the winter meetings. ALSO, we were the team Houston approached first about our SP, reports of the exact deal that ended up going down with Colorado were mentioned of what Houston offered us a week or so before Colorado popped up.

RCWHITESOX
07-18-2007, 05:40 PM

Who knows.

Doesn't make sense to me as Garland is a young pitcher coming into his own and pitching is the hardest thing to come by . Trade Contreras and any an all of the gas cans they have in the bullpen except Jenks. Also get a real shortstop and a Center fielder.

DumpJerry
07-18-2007, 05:49 PM

Mark Buehrle
Jim Thome
You're 100% correct, my friend. At one point or another in their careers, all of the players you listed will be released or traded. Except, of course, those who beat their last team to the punch and retire.

I don't think Jon is going away.

The closed door meeting was to go over the latest Zagat's for Boston so they can get some kick-butt seafood for dinner.

getonbckthr
07-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Contreras, Mackowiak and Macdougal for Sean Marshall and Rocky Cherry. Rid ourselves of alot of salary, Marshall could step right in if we wish or used in a move for Carl Crawford. For the Cubs they would get in Contreras a veteran coming to a new league with playoff and championship experience. With Mackowiak and Macdougal they can rid themselves of Jones and Izturis as Mackowiak can do by himself what they do combined and Macdougal going to the NL could work in his favor.
Sum up for Sox: partial salary dump partial future planning
for Cubs: risking a future potential stud for veterans in a playoff run.

soxinem1
07-18-2007, 05:59 PM
Contreras, Mackowiak and Macdougal for Sean Marshall and Rocky Cherry. Rid ourselves of alot of salary, Marshall could step right in if we wish or used in a move for Carl Crawford. For the Cubs they would get in Contreras a veteran coming to a new league with playoff and championship experience. With Mackowiak and Macdougal they can rid themselves of Jones and Izturis as Mackowiak can do by himself what they do combined and Macdougal going to the NL could work in his favor.
Sum up for Sox: partial salary dump partial future planning
for Cubs: risking a future potential stud for veterans in a playoff run.

That'll never happen......

getonbckthr
07-18-2007, 06:06 PM
That'll never happen......
I'm still sleeping leave me alone please.. just 10 more minutes mom.:D: