PDA

View Full Version : Paul Konerko and Jim Thome

stacksedwards
07-17-2007, 12:39 PM
I would just like to give a big thumbs up to these two guys. These guys are real professionals. These guys don't ***** and cry even though they are playing on a team full of guys who either don't care (Uribe) or can't hack it (bullpen). These guys still go out and hit for power and average night in and night out.
These two guys along with Mark's no-no (and the starting pitching minus Jose) have been the only bright spots in this otherwise terrible baseball season.
That being said I hope the Sox can finish up strong and play the role of spoiler. But unless the bullpen gets fixed the only thing this year's Sox will be spoiling is people's lunches.
Less than two weeks till training camp

chisox77
07-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Agreed.

Realisitically, is it possible for the Sox to claw their way to .500 or better? It has been a while since the Sox had a losing season, and I would like to see the string of respectability continue, even through this painful season. But it may require the Sox to slug their way to a few more wins.

But back to the subject, Thome and Konerko have been stellar. PK has recovered nicely from a very slow start.

:cool:

hi im skot
07-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Uribe doesn't care?

Give me a break.

esbrechtel
07-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Uribe doesn't care?

Give me a break.
I could deal with his lackluster hitting when he was playing stellar defense...but lately he seems to have Freddy Garcia disease...sorry...
As far as PK and Thome are concerned, they truly make me proud to be a Sox fan despite the teams lousy record...you better believe that if PK was hitting this well earlier he would have made the all-star team and he has been playing some stellar D lately as well...

BainesHOF
07-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Uribe doesn't care?

Give me a break.

No, Uribe doesn't care. It's clear to anyone who watches the games that he doesn't give a full effort. If you go to a game you can see he doesn't get fully ready to field before each pitch, and he doesn't approach balls or make throws with a full effort, either. Monday's error was a perfect example. He was so lazy that he tried to backhand a ball that was right in front of him.

thepaulbowski
07-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Uribe doesn't care?

Give me a break.

He had a real nice play last night in a critical spot to show how much he care and/or concentrates.

jabrch
07-17-2007, 02:15 PM
I love PK. I'm a big fan. But he's been a part of the problem most of the first half. He's hit like complete crap for most of the first half.

Kilroy
07-17-2007, 02:22 PM
He was so lazy that he tried to backhand a ball that was right in front of him.

or... he backhanded it so that he wouldn't be moving away from 2nd because he was trying to rush so that he could turn two and get out of the inning. Hard to look at a TV and say he doesn't care. What exact action should he do on the field to show he does care?

russ99
07-17-2007, 02:27 PM
I love PK. I'm a big fan. But he's been a part of the problem most of the first half. He's hit like complete crap for most of the first half.

That's just the way Paulie is, though. You gotta take the slumps along with the carrying the team on his shoulders.

Regardless of whether Uribe cares or not right now, he looks lost both in the field and at the plate.

jabrch
07-17-2007, 02:27 PM
No, Uribe doesn't care. It's clear to anyone who watches the games that he doesn't give a full effort. If you go to a game you can see he doesn't get fully ready to field before each pitch, and he doesn't approach balls or make throws with a full effort, either. Monday's error was a perfect example. He was so lazy that he tried to backhand a ball that was right in front of him.

Uribe's defense is not one of this team's problems that needs fixing.

Bulls_Fan
07-17-2007, 02:31 PM
I like both guys, but one of them has to go (Thome). This team can't return to the 2003 Station-to-station baseball. We need to be quick and versatile.

salty99
07-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Thome + PK = STAY
Uribe = GO HOME FOR GOOD

WhiteSox5187
07-17-2007, 05:17 PM
There is no doubt in my mindthat uribe cares...at the same time there is no doubt in my mind that he's just not that good.

I certainly think it is more than possible that this team can get hot and wind up finishing .500

JB98
07-17-2007, 06:38 PM

I disagree. He hit like complete crap for the first five weeks. Since the middle of May, he's been consistent and solid.

The strange thing is, we were keeping neck above water while Paulie struggled. Since he's been hitting, we've struggled.

wassagstdu
07-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Uribe is the best defensive shortstop the Sox have had since Aparicio (sorry, Ozzie). I hope they hang onto him for a long time. In this lineup (on paper) we should not need a lot of offensive production from SS. He is the nucleus of the solid defense up the middle, along with Iguchi, whom I also hope they keep, that they will have to rebuild (CF, maybe C, much as I like AJ) to be successful. My opinion.

santo=dorf
07-17-2007, 08:02 PM
I like both guys, but one of them has to go (Thome). This team can't return to the 2003 Station-to-station baseball. We need to be quick and versatile.
Give me slow guys who have .380-.410 OBP and 40 homers over .310 OBP who don't hit for power but are fast.

I dare you to find a better available option for $8 million next year at our DH spot.

veeter
07-17-2007, 08:32 PM
If Thome hits his 500th HR in a different uni, I wouldn't lose any sleep.

WhiteSox5187
07-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Uribe is the best defensive shortstop the Sox have had since Aparicio (sorry, Ozzie). I hope they hang onto him for a long time. In this lineup (on paper) we should not need a lot of offensive production from SS. He is the nucleus of the solid defense up the middle, along with Iguchi, whom I also hope they keep, that they will have to rebuild (CF, maybe C, much as I like AJ) to be successful. My opinion.
:?:
There is supposed to be teal there, right?? Uribe is as good as Ozzie was post knee injury. But I'd take Bucky Dent over Uribe anyday. So essentially Uribe is as good if not better than guys like Mike Caruso, Royce Clayton, Jerry Dybzynski, an aging Don Kessinger?

Domeshot17
07-17-2007, 09:27 PM

WRONG. While I agree he was part of the skid for the first month, no one can argue the month that did us in was june basically until the All Star Break.
There is a lot of blame to go around this Sox team, however, ZERO goes to PK.

Frontman
07-17-2007, 11:00 PM
What exact action should he do on the field to show he does care?

Stop swinging for the fences every pitch, listen to his hitting coach, show some intelligence in swing selection, stop making Pony League level baseball mistakes while fielding a ball, put some effort into getting to the flamin' ball. Pick one.

Joe Crede not being out there has illustrated how much he did on that side for defense. No offense meant to Josh Fields, but he isn't as good as Crede is defensively, and due to that, Juan's weaknesses are being shown.

This is Uribe's time to step up, but he's been doing nothing other than trying to go "profundo" (or however its spelled) instead of conducting himself as a Major League shortstop.

Back to the topic, however; I'm glad to see that some veterans are conducting themselves as pro-ball players. We're seeing what some of them are made of. Now there has been talk of moving Jim or not extending him beyond this season; and I can understand that if he goes on the DL again. But, if he has only that one visit to the DL, if we improve elsewhere, I can handle Thome having a two week vacation sometime during the season, if that means the Sox keep his veteran presence on the team.

decolores9628
07-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Just because you arent playing well doesnt mean you dont ****ing care. Uribe's style has never really changed since he got here. He has always swung for the fences and he never really plays defense fundementally, but he makes it work, most of the time. If Paulie would have made that error, no one would have said **** about it.

Just because you ARE playing well doesnt mean you care about the team. Case it point is Barry Bonds. He could care less about the Giants or winning. I'm not saying Paulie or Jim is like this, I'm just saying that just because you are doing well doesn't mean you care

esbrechtel
07-18-2007, 01:13 AM

Um....Uribe has not played solid D since the 05 WS...he has always had a wild arm and likes to showboat out there all the time...blowing bubbles while throwing the ball or hitting it...Thanks for 05 but now is the time that Uribe NEEDS to go....

JB98
07-18-2007, 01:24 AM
Um....Uribe has not played solid D since the 05 WS...he has always had a wild arm and likes to showboat out there all the time...blowing bubbles while throwing the ball or hitting it...Thanks for 05 but now is the time that Uribe NEEDS to go....

I agree. Uribe is capable of outstanding defense, but he has a lot of lazy habits. He relies on his arm too much. He doesn't come get the ball on slow choppers. His throwing arm is erratic. He's lucky Konerko is above average around the bag in terms of making picks.

I just can't tolerate a .215 hitter playing everyday. I was a vocal opponent of Brian Anderson. I'd be a hypocrite if I supported keeping Uribe as the shortstop. The time has come to make a change at that position. Unfortunately, the free-agent crop at SS is not real strong this year.

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2007, 07:36 AM
I just can't tolerate a .215 hitter playing everyday. I was a vocal opponent of Brian Anderson. I'd be a hypocrite if I supported keeping Uribe as the shortstop. The time has come to make a change at that position. Unfortunately, the free-agent crop at SS is not real strong this year.

I guess this is the key issue over which you and I disagreed on the BA situation. I can tolerate a .215 hitter playing everyday if he plays excellent defense at a critical defensive position like catcher, shortstop or center field.

But Uribe's defense is too wildly inconsistent, as you've argued well. Therefore, I'd like KW to make shortstop one of his top priorities. Maybe he has to do so via trade before the offseason.

WhiteSox5187
07-18-2007, 12:39 PM
I agree. Uribe is capable of outstanding defense, but he has a lot of lazy habits. He relies on his arm too much. He doesn't come get the ball on slow choppers. His throwing arm is erratic. He's lucky Konerko is above average around the bag in terms of making picks.

I think, I THINK that Eckstein is a free agent at the end of this year, would anyone here (besides me) like to see Eckstein at short? He makes plays more routinely than Uribe but doesn't have much of an arm...truth be told he'd be a great second baseman, but I still think we can a bit out of Iguchi there.

TheVulture
07-18-2007, 12:54 PM
I like both guys, but one of them has to go (Thome).

Hmm... Thome... 442 OBP... 'nuff said.

JB98
07-18-2007, 01:22 PM
I guess this is the key issue over which you and I disagreed on the BA situation. I can tolerate a .215 hitter playing everyday if he plays excellent defense at a critical defensive position like catcher, shortstop or center field.

But Uribe's defense is too wildly inconsistent, as you've argued well. Therefore, I'd like KW to make shortstop one of his top priorities. Maybe he has to do so via trade before the offseason.

If that .215 hitter would get some bunts down and get runners in from third with less than two outs, maybe I would make an exception. BA didn't show me that last year, and Uribe hasn't shown me that since 2005.

As a general rule, I don't like having guys who can't hit .240 playing everyday. I'm not dogmatic about that. I'll make exceptions if I think a guy makes productive outs AND plays outstanding defense. I wouldn't put either BA or Uribe in that category.