PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 7-18

Lip Man 1
07-17-2007, 12:31 PM
July 18, 1921 - The trial for eight White Sox players known as the ‘Black Sox’ begins in Chicago. The players were accused of trying to defraud the public by throwing the World Series. A jury finds the players innocent, however commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis bans them for life.

July 18, 1936 - Sox outfielder Rip Radcliffe becomes the first player in franchise history to ever collect six hits in a game. He goes 6 for 7 with four RBI’s and four runs scored in the Sox 21 - 14 win over the Athletics in Philadelphia.

July 18, 1948 - In the first game of a double header in Philadelphia, Sox outfielder Pat Seerey hits four home runs in a game against the A’s. The Sox would win the slugfest 12 - 11.

July 18, 1984 - A dud of a deal because of the long term implications. The Sox traded Chicago native, relief pitcher Kevin Hickey and prospect Doug Drabek (the player to be named later) to the Yankees for Roy Smalley. Smalley did nothing on the South Side...eventually Drabek would wind up as the ace of the great Pirate teams of the early 1990's winning the Cy Young Award. He finally pitched for the Sox starting in 1997, but by then was a shell of himself.

Lip

chisox77
07-17-2007, 12:34 PM
I remember that deal, and how worse it got with time. I also remember the Sox trying to get Drabek back, but it was too late.

:(:

my5thbench
07-17-2007, 01:00 PM
I didn't realize that any Sox ever hit 4 dingers in a game....wish I could have seen it

stl_sox_fan
07-17-2007, 03:28 PM
I didn't realize that any Sox ever hit 4 dingers in a game....wish I could have seen it

I tell myself Cameron must've had a Sox Tee under his Mariners jersey when he knocked 4 out against them back in 2002.