PDA

View Full Version : changeup?

pudge
04-04-2002, 02:17 AM
Did Foulke ever throw a changeup in the 9th? I was at the game, and have decided never to go to a game in Seattle again. The past three years I've seen 1) Game 3 of ALDS, 2) Foulke blow 3-1 lead late in season 3) Foulke blow 6-3 lead in third game of season.

It's gonna be a loooooooong season. Thank god they don't come back to Seattle.

Soxboyrob
04-04-2002, 09:32 AM
I think he threw several, but couldn't get them over the plate for strikes, forcing him to groove a FB several times.

Huisj
04-04-2002, 10:09 AM
I was listening on the radio, and i can only really remember them saying something about 1 or 2 changeups. One of them I remember rooney or farmer exclaming aver a 77 mph one that just dropped off the earth when it got to the plate that someone swung and missed through real hard--it might have been when sierra was batting . . . of course then he went with fastballs and didn't get him out.

BTW, did anyone see that play when the batter (i think sierra still) hit a liner to short, and clayton couldn't do anything with it? Rooney and Farmer said they thought maybe the ump blocked clayton's line of vision, and otherwise it could have easily been a game ending double play. If that's the case, that's a tough break.

Foulke gave up some runs and stuff, but it seems like some of the hits were just well placed grounders and bloops over the infield (from listening to it, I didn't actually see it).

Soxboyrob
04-04-2002, 10:45 AM
the ball to clayton was a fairly hard hit ball about 5 steps to royce's left. he sorta slid/dove at it and ended up overplaying it by about a foot or two and it stuck him on the heal of the glove and his forearm instead of the web of his glove. I couldn't tell if he just misplayed it, it took a bad hop or the ump interfered w/ it. The ump was definitely in his line of sight for about the first half of the ball's path of travel and then the ball kind of came around the left side of the ump and into royce's view. I don't know whose fault it was, but I was pissed we didn't at least get one out from the whole thing. If Royce makes that play, it's a very simple DP, as Royce was about 6 feet from the second base bag. Would have ended the game. Damn. I guess if Clayton doesn't hit the dinger earlier, maybe that play doesn't matter anyway.