PDA

View Full Version : Triple Play Ruling Question

lloyder
07-17-2007, 03:28 AM
Discussion at the bar tonight leads to this question...

If a batter swings through strike three and then the defensive team catches two baserunners stealing on the same play, is it scored as a triple play? My argument is 'no,' based on my thought that a 'strike 'em out, throw 'em out' is not considered a double play as far as I know.

Thoughts?

oeo
07-17-2007, 03:32 AM
It's a continuous play, so yes, that's a triple play.

The strike 'em out, throw 'em out is called "The Strike 'em out, throw 'em out double play."

TDog
07-17-2007, 04:40 AM
Discussion at the bar tonight leads to this question...

If a batter swings through strike three and then the defensive team catches two baserunners stealing on the same play, is it scored as a triple play? My argument is 'no,' based on my thought that a 'strike 'em out, throw 'em out' is not considered a double play as far as I know.

Thoughts?

It happened a few years ago -- Sept. 3, 2002. Dan Smith of the Expos struck out Marlon Anderson. Expos catcher Brian Schneider threw to shortstop Orlando Cabrera, who threw to Andres Galarraga to catch Placido Polanco in a rundown off first base. Galarraga threw back to Cabrera, who tagged out Polanco. Cabrera then threw to third baseman Fernando Tatis, who tagged out Travis Lee, who had strayed too far off of third. It went as a triple play -- catcher to shortstop to first to shortstop to third, 2-6-3-6-5.

A few months earlier, I heard Art Kusnyer say he had once seen a triple play with no one hitting the ball. I have still never seen it, but they say every time you go to a baseball game you have a chance of seeing something you've never seen before.

itsnotrequired
07-17-2007, 08:05 AM
It happened a few years ago -- Sept. 3, 2002. Dan Smith of the Expos struck out Marlon Anderson. Expos catcher Brian Schneider threw to shortstop Orlando Cabrera, who threw to Andres Galarraga to catch Placido Polanco in a rundown off first base. Galarraga threw back to Cabrera, who tagged out Polanco. Cabrera then threw to third baseman Fernando Tatis, who tagged out Travis Lee, who had strayed too far off of third. It went as a triple play -- catcher to shortstop to first to shortstop to third, 2-6-3-6-5.

A few months earlier, I heard Art Kusnyer say he had once seen a triple play with no one hitting the ball. I have still never seen it, but they say every time you go to a baseball game you have a chance of seeing something you've never seen before.

I love the Project Scorecard scoring for that play:

K+CS2(2636)/TP.3X3(65)

A similar play happened in 1982 when the Yankees played the Twins:

K+CS3(25);CS2(31)/TP

In the top of the second Bobby Murcer and Graig Nettles singled. With the runners on the move, Roy Smalley struck out. Sal Butera's throw to Gary Gaetti at 3b was so far ahead of Murcer that he stopped and retreated toward 2b where Nettles had arrived. Nettles then ran back to 1b. Gaetti threw to Kent Hrbek, who tagged Nettles out. Murcer then broke for third. Hrbek threw to pitcher Terry Felton covering the bag and Murcer was out for a triple play.

My favorite triple play was from 1925. Can anyone decipher it?

FC6/TP.3XH(625);2X3(54);BX2(4393)

:mg:

Kilroy
07-17-2007, 09:07 AM
My favorite triple play was from 1925. Can anyone decipher it?

FC6/TP.3XH(625);2X3(54);BX2(4393)

:mg:

This is about the only plausible way I can see it:

Looks like 2nd + 3rd, 0 outs. Ball in play to short, runner at third breaks for home. SS throws to C and rundown ensues. Ball qoes to 3B who chases runner home and tags near home.

Meanwhile, SS covers vacated 3B. Runner at 2 moves toward 3rd but heads back to 2nd realizing he may be thrown out. Throw to 2nd beats runner who turns toward 3rd and 2B chases, tagging out closer to 3rd.

After that runner to 1st tries to reach 2nd where RF has come to cover but turns back. Throw goes from 2b to 1b. Runner turns toward 2nd. Throw goes from 1b to RF at 2nd who returns throw to 1b who chases back towards 2nd for put-out.

Is that it? Sounds like the Sox baserunning.

itsnotrequired
07-17-2007, 09:56 AM
This is about the only plausible way I can see it:

Looks like 2nd + 3rd, 0 outs. Ball in play to short, runner at third breaks for home. SS throws to C and rundown ensues. Ball qoes to 3B who chases runner home and tags near home.

Meanwhile, SS covers vacated 3B. Runner at 2 moves toward 3rd but heads back to 2nd realizing he may be thrown out. Throw to 2nd beats runner who turns toward 3rd and 2B chases, tagging out closer to 3rd.

After that runner to 1st tries to reach 2nd where RF has come to cover but turns back. Throw goes from 2b to 1b. Runner turns toward 2nd. Throw goes from 1b to RF at 2nd who returns throw to 1b who chases back towards 2nd for put-out.

Is that it? Sounds like the Sox baserunning.

With runners on second and third and no outs Kiki Cuyler hits a grounder to Travis Jackson at ss. Jackson throws home to get Max Carey and Johnny Rawlings then tries to reach 3b and is nailed. Finally, Cuyler is out in a rundown between first and second - a very unusual triple play with all three runners caught in rundowns and the right fielder getting an assist.