PDA

View Full Version : Massett sent down!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!

UserNameBlank
07-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Massett to Charlotte per CSN... no word on the call-up, but who cares?!!?! He's not in our pen anymore!!! Now you Bukvich, get out of here!

Chicken Dinner
07-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Massett to Charlotte per CSN... no word on the call-up, but who cares?!!?! He's not in our pen anymore!!! Now you Bukvich, get out of here!

I hope they get a group rate on tickets because there's more that need to go.

Tragg
07-16-2007, 10:49 PM
And Buckholz' situation?

JorgeFabregas
07-16-2007, 10:49 PM
Bring up Richar or Sweeney. Or someone who can pitch.

oeo
07-16-2007, 10:50 PM

Unless we're getting some stud reliever, why does it matter? We still have Bukvich, Logan, Day, and Haeger to worry about. Now we'll bring up some other guy from the minors that does the same **** the rest of them do.

UserNameBlank
07-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Unless we're getting some stud reliever, why does it matter? We still have Bukvich, Logan, Day, and Haeger to worry about. Now we'll bring up some other guy from the minors that does the same **** the rest of them do.
Because sooner or later we have to find someone who can get outs. I firmly believe that there is at least one arm in our minor league system somewhere capable of getting an out in the major leagues.

Oneli Perez hasn't been up yet and he's on the 40-man. He throws in the mid 80's IIRC. But at this point, so what? Wassermann has been quietly having a good year and provides an interesting look out of the pen, but to add him we'd have to DFA someone... here's looking at you, Bukvich! Floyd and Heath Phillips are on the 40 man as well, but I doubt the Sox bring up Floyd for bullpen duties. Phillips would probably suck but who knows? He certainly can't be any worse.

DumpJerry
07-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Bring up Richar or Fields. Or someone who can pitch.
Fields may not be available right now. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90133)

chisoxmike
07-16-2007, 11:01 PM
Because sooner or later we have to find someone who can get outs. I firmly believe that there is at least one arm in our minor league system somewhere capable of getting an out in the major leagues.

You sure about that? I doubt it.

MUsoxfan
07-16-2007, 11:02 PM
I think that Day and Bukvich earned the right to be playing in Charlotte a little bit more

Parrothead
07-16-2007, 11:04 PM
Why not try Uribe at pitching ? :dunno:
The guy has a great arm and hits like a pitcher.:happyguy:

JermaineDye05
07-16-2007, 11:10 PM
my guess is Sisco is on his way back up, and they're going to have Masset start in Charlotte.

07-16-2007, 11:13 PM
And Buckholz' situation?
Who the **** is Buckholz and why do you keep talking about him???

oeo
07-16-2007, 11:22 PM
my guess is Sisco is on his way back up, and they're going to have Masset start in Charlotte.

I doubt it, Sisco has a lot of work to do...same with Aardsma. It'll be a new guy, but he'll probably be just as bad.

chisoxmike

I doubt its Sisco. Let's never see him again. But if it is, then we have this to look forward to...

Left-hander Andrew Sisco allowed eight runs on nine hits in one-third of an inning in Triple-A Charlotte's 11-3 loss at Columbus:supernana::supernana::supernana::supernan a:

:partybus YEEEEEEEEEEEEE-HAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
http://www.foxnews.com/images/236342/0_61_barker_bob.jpg
"Andrew Sisco come on down! You're the next contestant on who sucks more!"

California Sox
Fields may not be available right now. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90133)

Josh Fields has been rehabbing at Great Falls. That would be quite a jump. I wonder if they'd ever consider Egbert for the pen. He throws strikes, doesn't walk people, and is an extreme groundball pitcher. Might be helpful in the sixth or seventh. Of course, in my mind he's a better starting prospect than either Broadway or McCulloch, but it'll be interesting to see what they do.

Oldschoolsoxguy
07-16-2007, 11:36 PM
Masset should only be the first.Follow up with Day & Bukvich
and bring up guys who can ****ing pitch.They don't need to
throw in the 90's,they just need to know how to pitch...that
means Aardsma & Sisco need to stay where they are.

letsgosox1592
07-16-2007, 11:41 PM
I dont really care about this year anymore and I believe this move will be helpfull for the Sox in the long run because I believe Nick Masset is going to be a starter. He is still very young with a lot of potential.

JB98
07-17-2007, 12:46 AM
This move is long overdue. Masset has given up 52 hits and issued 26 walks in 39 1/3 innings this year. That's a lot of baserunners for that number of innings.

He needs to work as a starter, get innings and develop better command of his pitches.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-17-2007, 01:20 AM
Could MacDougal be returning from the D.L.? I don't know if his 15 days are up or not, but that seems like the most realistic option.

StillMissOzzie
07-17-2007, 01:28 AM
This move is long overdue. Masset has given up 52 hits and issued 26 walks in 39 1/3 innings this year. That's a lot of baserunners for that number of innings.

He needs to work as a starter, get innings and develop better command of his pitches.
UGHHH! I knew he was not doing very well, but a WHIP of just a hair under 2.00 is BAD!

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, Nick.

SMO
:gulp:

TDog
07-17-2007, 01:52 AM
Masset has been inconsistent. If the Sox had a better bullpen, he wouldn't have made the team. I don't see the excitement in sending him down though. I wouldn't see the excitement about sending anyone down. If the Sox traded a player for someone who could do better, that would be one thing. When a player gets sent down, it means the team has to go to plan B, (or C or D or E ... as the case may be in 2007). It isn't like a Bobby Jenks is ready to come up as in 2005.

I can't get excited about a guy being sent down. I might get excited about calling a guy up in someone's place, if there were someone in the minors I could get excited about. Previous callups this season have failed to inspire in me any reason to be excited now.

SluggersAway
07-17-2007, 02:29 AM
...bring up guys who can ****ing pitch.They don't need to throw in the 90's,they just need to know how to pitch...

The problem is that we don't have anyone that fits that criteria in the minors or else they would already be up in the bigs.

JorgeFabregas
07-17-2007, 02:34 AM
Ya think? I meant to say Sweeney. Obviously not too with it tonight.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-17-2007, 02:37 AM
Why not Broadway? If he has this rumored " low ceiling ", give him a shot in the pen.

In regards to Massett, it's easy to say good riddance, but if there were better options, the Sox would have excersized them by now.

russ99
07-17-2007, 05:53 AM

I certainly hope not. It's time for Kenny to get someone from outside the organization (fleece or no fleece), preferably a set-up man, since we haven't had one all season. Someone like Linebrink would make the rest of the pen better, since we wouldn't need to use guys like Bukvich/Logan/Day close and late.

Maybe yesterday, especially considering Ozzie's comments, was the last straw to stir Kenny out of his inaction.

We're only 13 days from the trade deadline, time to make a deal to help the pen.

chitownhawkfan
07-17-2007, 06:28 AM
How can our minor league bullpen pitching be worse? This is ****ing ridiculous I'd send them all down outside of Jenks and Logan. In reality, how many games has our bullpen cost us this year? Its got to be ten games I'm guessing.

Soxfanspcu11
07-17-2007, 07:03 AM
CHISOXMIKE;
I don't know where you got that line on Sisco (whitesox.com I presume) but let me just say the following (Ahem....clears throat........);

WHAT THE FLYING ****!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

That is my reaction to that. I really don't know what else to say. How is it that this guy ever made it into the big leagues in the first place?!?!? How is it possible that someone, anyone, especially us, actually paid this man United States Currency to throw baseballs?!?!?!?:?:

You do understand, that I could produce this exact same result. Seriously, I bet you that I could. And I would do it for a hell of a lot less money. I mean, if the Sox want a guy like this, which is basically equal to just throwing $$$ out the window, why can't they sign me??? I have always wanted to play pro ball!!!

Okay, well, that mind**** aside, it has been said before and I tend to agree, Nick Massett got a little bit of a longer leesh because of that start he had at the urinal in which he kept the Sox from being swept.

I know that that seems like a long time ago and that it is a rather stupid reason to keep a guy around. But we all know how Ozzie is in regards to this. If you play for the Sox and you show Ozzie one great game (especially a pitcher), he will try and keep you around for as long as possible.

It's like doing coke. That first line is ALWAYS the best. And then, you spend the rest of the night (and your wallet) trying to recapture that first line.

So, as a comparisson, Nick Massett on May 21st, 2007 was the first line of coke at a great party. Nick Massett on July 16th, 2007 is a line of cat litter fresh with turds lined up on the bathroom floor.

And if the bullpen as a whole (minus Jenks) were a drug, we would all be either dead or in jail right now, at best.:whiner:

SoxxoS
07-17-2007, 07:24 AM
I dont really care about this year anymore and I believe this move will be helpfull for the Sox in the long run because I believe Nick Masset is going to be a starter. He is still very young with a lot of potential.

He hasn't shown any great potential in really any part of this career, other than looking the part. That's not good.

PatK
07-17-2007, 08:24 AM
Carlos Vasquez?

Is he eligible?

His numbers seem good.

cws05champ
07-17-2007, 09:06 AM
Carlos Vasquez?

Is he eligible?

His numbers seem good.

Needs to improve his command, he has walked more than he has struck out in AAA. That does not bode well if he came up to face the Indians and Tigers day in and day out.

soxfan13
07-17-2007, 09:14 AM
He hasn't shown any great potential in really any part of this career, other than looking the part. That's not good.

Hes had a few games where he has shown flashes of "potential" cleveland and the spot start versus the Cubs jump out at me right off the bat.

rdivaldi
07-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Needs to improve his command.

The same goes for Broadway, he's a BB machine in Charlotte.

SoxxoS
07-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Hes had a few games where he has shown flashes of "potential" cleveland and the spot start versus the Cubs jump out at me right off the bat.

I was at the Cubs game and he wasn't all that impressive to me.

He is a LOOGY guy, at best, and I really doubt he can do that. Nothing against the guy, but he just isn't very good.

When you have good stuff, it really shouldn't matter if you are a reliever or starter - The problem with Masset is he doesn't have that good of stuff and he had one decent game as a starter and a bunch of horrible games as a reliever - Therefore human nature to think he could continue those decent games as a starter - but its not that easy when you aren't good.

soxfan13
07-17-2007, 09:27 AM
I was at the Cubs game and he wasn't all that impressive to me.

He is a LOOGY guy, at best, and I really doubt he can do that. Nothing against the guy, but he just isn't very good.

When you have good stuff, it really shouldn't matter if you are a reliever or starter - The problem with Masset is he doesn't have that good of stuff and he had one decent game as a starter and a bunch of horrible games as a reliever - Therefore human nature to think he could continue those decent games as a starter - but its not that easy when you aren't good.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Yes you are right that he doesnt have knock your socks of stuff but IMO he does have enough to pitch in the bigs. I think its more that he needs more grooming to "learn " how to pitch.

PeoriaSoxFan
07-17-2007, 09:29 AM
The bullpen's ERA is around 7.6 in the last 57 games and 5.99 overall this year. How high is it though if you take Jenks out of the equation?

wulfy
07-17-2007, 09:29 AM
He's already up with the big league club, I saw him in the "handshake line" after the win last night.

salty99
07-17-2007, 09:31 AM
MacDougal I believe is eligible to come off the DL on Friday so maybe Aardsma or Sisco will be recalled.

MCHSoxFan
07-17-2007, 09:32 AM

Yes, you are probably right. On Comcast SportsNet (CSN) yesterday, during the game and on one of their regular shows, the were talking about Sisco and how good he was doing. Not sure if this means he will be brought back up, but it maybe a clue.

southside rocks
07-17-2007, 09:42 AM
On the CSN postgame last night, Bill Melton got in a good shot at Masset, he said that Masset sets up bad innings by walking batters. And that's not what a setup guy is supposed to be doing. I was kind of surprised because Melton doesn't usually put blame on specific players.

Very happy to see Masset sent to AAA, where he should be at this stage of his career.

As for Sisco, I heard or read the other day that Ozzie's comment about some players staying in AAA applied to Aardsma and Sisco. They brought Haeger up, not Sisco, in the other recent callup. I'd be very surprised if Sisco's up in Chicago anytime soon. Maybe MacDougal is coming off the DL?

lostfan
07-17-2007, 09:43 AM
The same goes for Broadway, he's a BB machine in Charlotte.
The thing I worry about with Broadway... you get a guy with limited stuff like Buehrle or Maddux, they make up for it with good command. I don't know if Broadway can do that, and if he never does, he will never amount to anything in the major leagues.

NorthSideSox72
07-17-2007, 09:50 AM
I'd love to see Wassermann have a shot, but as someone else pointed out, they'd need to drop someone from the 40-man. Ehren has been nothing but nails at pretty much every stop through the minors - good control guy, nothing fancy. Gives up very few big hits. Maybe instead of trying for "stuff" guys who haven't proven themselves yet, the Sox should go the other way, with a guy who has succeeded at every level despite NOT having huge stuff.

russ99
07-17-2007, 09:52 AM
I'd love to see Wassermann have a shot, but as someone else pointed out, they'd need to drop someone from the 40-man. Ehren has been nothing but nails at pretty much every stop through the minors - good control guy, nothing fancy. Gives up very few big hits. Maybe instead of trying for "stuff" guys who haven't proven themselves yet, the Sox should go the other way, with a guy who has succeeded at every level despite NOT having huge stuff.

It's too early for Wasserman to come up. We've burned out enough minor league relievers this season in the black hole on the big club. Maybe in September.

I hope MacDougal can get guys out again after his injury, but I'm not holding out too much hope. He's a better option than another bad minor-leaguer.

Chicken Dinner
07-17-2007, 10:17 AM
I guess the amazing thing is that with 30 teams carrying approximately 7 relief pitchers each (210 total), that the 7 that we have are the best we can find on the entire planet. There are a lot of people in this world and playing in the MLB is the ultimate, but this is the best that our scouting can come up with. Mind blowing.

oeo
07-17-2007, 11:16 AM

Totally disagree. The mindset is totally different, and some guys just can't handle it.

Lip Man 1
07-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Chisoxhawk:

The answer to your question is 11 games.

Lip

oeo
07-17-2007, 11:19 AM
On the CSN postgame last night, Bill Melton got in a good shot at Masset, he said that Masset sets up bad innings by walking batters. And that's not what a setup guy is supposed to be doing. I was kind of surprised because Melton doesn't usually put blame on specific players.

How was that a 'shot' at him? That's been his problem...control. He gets in trouble when he starts walking guys. For whatever reason he can get the first couple outs and then loses all command, walks a guy or two and then gives up the big hit.

And he isn't even supposed to be our setup man, he's supposed to be our long reliever.

TDog
07-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Chisoxhawk:

The answer to your question is 11 games.

Lip

There have been 11 games where the bullpen has given up leads from the seventh inning on. In four games, Sox relievers surrendered the lead in the sixth -- including Masset giving up three runs after getting the first two hitters out in a one-run loss. (The Sox, of course, went scoreless thereafter.) It's easy to remember the Jenks blown saves (especially for me, as the only game I've been to since 2003 ended with Jenks failing to get the third out in Oakland), but the sins of the entire 2007 bullpen demand great effort to keep straight.

Come to think of it, the last baseball game I saw on television was the July 4, 2003, Billy Koch debacle against the Devil Rays.

chisox77
07-17-2007, 11:40 AM
What is Larrin LaGrow doing these days?

:cool:

southside rocks
07-17-2007, 11:42 AM
How was that a 'shot' at him? That's been his problem...control. He gets in trouble when he starts walking guys. For whatever reason he can get the first couple outs and then loses all command, walks a guy or two and then gives up the big hit.

And he isn't even supposed to be our setup man, he's supposed to be our long reliever.

Maybe 'shot' wasn't the right word. I thought it was a bit strong for Melton, who usually just says that somebody didn't get the job done -- this time he went a step farther and said that this particular player can't get the job done. Because Melton is a former player, I've always thought that he gives benefit of any doubt to the player, but this time even he seemed to have had enough of this. When Bill Melton gets disgusted, it's bad.

And I agree with him a thousand percent, of course. Nothing to disagree with.

Lip Man 1
07-17-2007, 11:46 AM
T'dog:

I understand where you're coming from. To me though giving up a lead in the 6th is different from the 7th inning or later.

In the 6th inning there's still a lot of the game left to be played. In the 7th inning or later if you have a good bullpen, the game should be basically over.

Not saying you're wrong just that to me the more important stat is 7th inning or later.

Lip

The Immigrant
07-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Perish the thought, but we may be seeing Paulino Reynoso next. He has no control and gets hammered by righties, plus he works reaaally slow. :(:

PatK
07-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Perish the thought, but we may be seeing Paulino Reynoso next. He has no control and gets hammered by righties, plus he works reaaally slow. :(:

Maybe the opponents will doze off or yawn while he's pitching.

Hitmen77
07-17-2007, 12:22 PM
I doubt its Sisco. Let's never see him again. But if it is, then we have this to look forward to...

Quote:
Left-hander Andrew Sisco allowed eight runs on nine hits in one-third of an inning in Triple-A Charlotte's 11-3 loss at Columbus

"Andrew Sisco come on down! You're the next contestant on who sucks more!"

Yes, you are probably right. On Comcast SportsNet (CSN) yesterday, during the game and on one of their regular shows, the were talking about Sisco and how good he was doing. Not sure if this means he will be brought back up, but it maybe a clue.

Can't wait to have him back!

INSox56
07-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Dunno if it's been posted, but just received an email that Wasserman is called up and Crede got put on the 60-day to make room for him on the 40.

jsg-07
07-17-2007, 01:42 PM
Dunno if it's been posted, but just received an email that Wasserman is called up and Crede got put on the 60-day to make room for him on the 40.

I was just getting ready to post this. From whitesox.com;

"Wassermann, 26, is 2-4 with a 2.11 ERA (10 ER/42.2 IP), 33 strikeouts and five saves in 38 appearances with Charlotte this season"

Sounds good but does anyone who follows the minor leagues know much else about him?? Seems with numbers like this it may have crossed someones mind to bring this guy up a bit sooner???

SoxxoS
07-17-2007, 01:51 PM
He isn't going to be a world beater, but I think he can actually pitch pretty decently out of the pen. He hasn't had an ERA over 2.75 in four seasons in the minors. The big knock is he has only pitched 208 innings in the minors - but I think he can stick.

balke
07-17-2007, 02:16 PM
He isn't going to be a world beater, but I think he can actually pitch pretty decently out of the pen. He hasn't had an ERA over 2.75 in four seasons in the minors. The big knock is he has only pitched 208 innings in the minors - but I think he can stick.

The Sox just need someone decent. In fact they need about 2 more someone decent's at least.

NorthSideSox72
07-17-2007, 02:40 PM
I was just getting ready to post this. From whitesox.com;

"Wassermann, 26, is 2-4 with a 2.11 ERA (10 ER/42.2 IP), 33 strikeouts and five saves in 38 appearances with Charlotte this season"

Sounds good but does anyone who follows the minor leagues know much else about him?? Seems with numbers like this it may have crossed someones mind to bring this guy up a bit sooner???
He didn't come up earlier because he was never seen as a guy with spectacular stuff. He's a guy who has been solid, but not flashy. And he got on via an open try-out, which is a pretty rare thing. I don't think there was ever much of an expectation for him.

russ99
07-17-2007, 04:04 PM
He didn't come up earlier because he was never seen as a guy with spectacular stuff. He's a guy who has been solid, but not flashy. And he got on via an open try-out, which is a pretty rare thing. I don't think there was ever much of an expectation for him.

Since all these highly touted fireballers Kenny got in the offseason have done so badly, a submarine control pitcher with no expectations might do pretty decently. We'll see, can't be any worse.

Maybe if the Sox get Haeger (knuckler), Thornton (lefty fireballer) and Wasserman (righty submarine control pitcher) throwing back to back in the pen, opposing hitters might have a more difficult time reacting.