PDA

View Full Version : Podsednik on the trade block?

soxfanreggie
07-16-2007, 10:18 PM
From MLB.com: Furthermore, several high-profile players either openly shopped or believed available spent the All-Star break on disabled lists, an obvious drag on deals. These include Texas first baseman Mark Teixeira, Baltimore shortstop Miguel Tejada; outfielders Rocco Baldelli (Tampa Bay), Reggie Sanders (Kansas City), Scott Podsednik (White Sox); starting pitcher Steve Trachsel (Orioles) and reliever Brad Lidge (Astros).

The article further mentions Gooch, Dye, Contreras, and Vaz as being on the block, but we have been talking about them all. While I like having a healthy Pods, if we get offered a good deal, I wouldn't be opposed because he has been having a lot of health issues.

oeo
07-16-2007, 10:19 PM
From MLB.com: Furthermore, several high-profile players either openly shopped or believed available spent the All-Star break on disabled lists, an obvious drag on deals. These include Texas first baseman Mark Teixeira, Baltimore shortstop Miguel Tejada; outfielders Rocco Baldelli (Tampa Bay), Reggie Sanders (Kansas City), Scott Podsednik (White Sox); starting pitcher Steve Trachsel (Orioles) and reliever Brad Lidge (Astros).

The article further mentions Gooch, Dye, Contreras, and Vaz as being on the block, but we have been talking about them all. While I like having a healthy Pods, if we get offered a good deal, I wouldn't be opposed because he has been having a lot of health issues.

Pods is 'high-profile?' :?:

He's valuable to this team when he's healthy, but he's never healthy...therefore he needs to go. If we can get anything for him, trade him.

Tragg
07-16-2007, 10:21 PM
While I like having a healthy Pods, if we get offered a good deal, I wouldn't be opposed because he has been having a lot of health issues.

I think we'd trade him if offered a bad deal. And I have great respect for what Pods did for us - no WS without him.
We should trade Erstad, too, of offered a bad deal.

UserNameBlank
07-16-2007, 10:30 PM
IMO the Sox should just DFA both Pods and Erstad. They do nothing for us. Our OF should be Owens-Sweeney-Dye until either Dye is traded or BA comes back healthy.

BainesHOF
07-16-2007, 10:39 PM
There's no reason whatsoever that Erstad should play another game for us.

MUsoxfan
07-16-2007, 10:42 PM
IMO the Sox should just DFA both Pods and Erstad. They do nothing for us. Our OF should be Owens-Sweeney-Dye until either Dye is traded or BA comes back healthy.

I think that it would be foolish to do that. The reason they play is to WIN the game. If Pods and Erstad are healthy it would simply be insane to not play them as they give us the best chance to win the game.

UserNameBlank
07-16-2007, 11:04 PM
I think that it would be foolish to do that. The reason they play is to WIN the game. If Pods and Erstad are healthy it would simply be insane to not play them as they give us the best chance to win the game.
We won 90 games and finished third last year. What did we get for that? Nothing, because there is no loser prize awarded. You either make the playoffs or you don't. Grinderstad and Pods are not going to take us to the promised land.

Any organization that would rather try to win 80 games with grizzled veterans instead of trying to win 70 while developing young players is a very stupid organization. I refuse to believe that the Sox are dumb enough to operate like that.

balke
07-17-2007, 12:42 AM
We won 90 games and finished third last year. What did we get for that? Nothing, because there is no loser prize awarded. You either make the playoffs or you don't. Grinderstad and Pods are not going to take us to the promised land.

Any organization that would rather try to win 80 games with grizzled veterans instead of trying to win 70 while developing young players is a very stupid organization. I refuse to believe that the Sox are dumb enough to operate like that.

This organization doesn't know how to develop talent. And I really don't want to wait around for 10-15 years to watch the Sox build young talent like Cleveland did.

Pods was a big part of leading the Sox to the promised land. If they can keep him cheap, then why not. In my opinion the real problem with this team lies within the bullpen. Next season the offense will be healthier and should be more productive.

This offense is horrible because of players like Owens and Sweeney and Anderson and Terrero and Fields, and Gonzalez getting so much playing time. Why anyone would want to suffer through that again is beyond me. Sox need to scrape for anyone that can get on base above .300 next season, if that means injury prone vets, so be it. Its not like these young players are breaking out with the chances they've gotten so far (no matter how many tools Hawk and DJ tell you Terrero has, or how great of a LFer they say Gonzalez is).

I appreciate some of the talent these guys have, but until someone is truly ready for the bigs, let's not rush them up here. Simply being on a major league team isn't going to magically give you more talent, or spark a breakout career.

santo=dorf
07-17-2007, 05:34 AM

...and last year Pods was hurt, and grinderstad was on the Angels' DL. I too don't see how Erstad and Pods put us in the best spot to win.

hose
07-17-2007, 06:17 AM
The Brewers need help in center with Hall on the DL.

chaerulez
07-17-2007, 07:17 AM

I agree, if it's obvious you aren't going to make the playoffs, which at this point would be a miracle, then it's time to start developing some young players at the cost of meaningless wins.

The Immigrant
07-17-2007, 07:58 AM
Methinks this rumor has more to do with Podsednik's reaction to Ozzie's recent comments than with his injury problems, which did not keep KW from offering arbitration last year. Either way, I agree that at least one of Podsednik and Erstad has to go before next year, but I would prefer to give Podsednik another chance in a platoon role against RHP.

southside rocks
07-17-2007, 09:38 AM
Methinks this rumor has more to do with Podsednik's reaction to Ozzie's recent comments than with his injury problems, which did not keep KW from offering arbitration last year.

I think they re-signed him in spite of his '05 and '06 injuries, not with the expectation that he would even exceed those in '07. I think that 2007 might have been Scott's last chance to show the Sox brass that he could stay healthy for a reasonable portion of the year.

Mission not accomplished.

He gone.

SMO.

russ99
07-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Methinks this rumor has more to do with Podsednik's reaction to Ozzie's recent comments than with his injury problems, which did not keep KW from offering arbitration last year. Either way, I agree that at least one of Podsednik and Erstad has to go before next year, but I would prefer to give Podsednik another chance in a platoon role against RHP.

I don't blame Pods one bit for his comments, as Ozzie was a bit over the line with his quotes. I hope Scott gets a last chance to play out the remainder of the season injury-free.

Currently, I doubt the Sox could get much value, if any, in a trade for him, and a good two months would only increase his trade value in the offseason. If he gets hurt again, the Sox can always refuse arb and make him a FA.

As much of a Pods fan I am, I do agree it's probably best for the Sox and Podsednik to part ways in the offseason.

WSox597
07-17-2007, 06:51 PM
We could always trade Pods for Kerry Wood or Mark Prior

GregO23
07-20-2007, 03:53 PM
We could always trade Pods for Kerry Wood or Mark Prior
I would take Kerry Wood right now. Hes doing good in rehab right now and should be a good pen arm(Compared to what we have).:whiner: i cant believe i said that

PatK
07-20-2007, 04:04 PM
I would take Kerry Wood right now. Hes doing good in rehab right now and should be a good pen arm(Compared to what we have).:whiner: i cant believe i said that

I can't believe you said that either.

The guy is throwing an inning every other day and has only had one week of good throwing.

WSox597
07-20-2007, 05:23 PM
I was just kidding, really. Just making the point that Pods and Erstad equals the other two in injuries.

Put him in the pen, and he'd be gone in less than a week. Slip on a peanut shell, trip on a towel, something like that.

Him and Prior have to hold the record for the most money made in baseball, while playing the least for it. Maybe they're allergic to leather?

FedEx227
07-20-2007, 06:13 PM
I was just kidding, really. Just making the point that Pods and Erstad equals the other two in injuries.

Put him in the pen, and he'd be gone in less than a week. Slip on a peanut shell, trip on a towel, something like that.

Him and Prior have to hold the record for the most money made in baseball, while playing the least for it.

http://www.bustedplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/hampton.jpg
"Hey now...."

WSox597
07-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Who's that guy? I don't follow the NL, and he doesn't look familiar at all.

Seriously, I don't know him. He must be infamous, though, to warrant his inclusion in an injured player thread. :D:

AJ Hellraiser
07-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Him and Prior have to hold the record for the most money made in baseball, while playing the least for it. Maybe they're allergic to leather?

Mark Prior actually hasn't made that much money.. maybe you are thinking Kerry Wood...

Prior's injuries have all happened before he even got the chance to sign that massive deal... he's really only had 1.5 good years in the pros.. 2003 and then parts of 2002 and 2004

rowand33
07-21-2007, 05:21 PM

I know this isn't gonna be a popular opinion, but I'll take Wood. I'd damn sure take Wood.

Out of the bullpen. For a cheap one year contract. Maybe he won't pitch an inning. Maybe he will, and if he does, he'll be a hell of a lot better than Day, Bukvich, Aardsma, or any of those guys.

Bring on Kerry Wood. No teal. Hope for lightning in a bottle.

Domeshot17
07-22-2007, 03:02 AM
Who's that guy? I don't follow the NL, and he doesn't look familiar at all.

Seriously, I don't know him. He must be infamous, though, to warrant his inclusion in an injured player thread. :D:

I dont know if this was serious or not, but incase it was, that is Mike Hampton. Days before Arod signed the biggest contract in mlb history, Hampton got the biggest deal for a pitcher ever by the Rockies. The deal was for a whopping 8 years and 123 mil. Hampton then went on to pitch pretty bad for a little while before having numerous injuries. Eventually they shipped him out but had to pay for a while. The braves have the tab on him this year and next, however when they buy him out in 2009, the Rockies will be paying the 6 mil. That was the same year they signed Denny Neagle to a 5 year/52 mil contract. Talk about 200 mil spent poorly. The only deal that comes to mind even close to this(and Im not going to count Kevin Brown because for a while he was really good) was Darren Dreifort but he doesn't even hold a candle to Hampton.