PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Acquire Kendall

getonbckthr
07-16-2007, 07:44 PM
Ehhh. Could be good could be a mistake.

SoxSpeed22
07-16-2007, 07:48 PM
Couldn't hurt considering the players they gave up, being Rob Bowen and another prospect.

MUsoxfan
07-16-2007, 07:49 PM
I wonder how much of that ginormous contract the Cubs are taking on. Even still, he's better than anything they have now.

Brian26
07-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Kendall's been atrocious this year.

The Immigrant
07-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Classic salary dump by Beane. By the way, Kendall sucks.

santo=dorf
07-16-2007, 07:56 PM
Couldn't hurt considering the players they gave up, being Rob Bowen and another prospect.
Kendall makes $13 million a year and has numbers worse than the guy they just gave up.

Seeing how the Cubs are in the mood for acquiring grinders, perhaps we can get something for Erstad and/or Pods to help out their CF situation.

DoItForDanPasqua
He was much better in the National League. This may be a good deal; let's hope not.

getonbckthr
I truly don't think he is any better than what they have currently. So in reality your hurting yourself as your slowing down the process of young players who are as good as their veteran starters. If they wanted a good veteran catcher why don't they look at the team their playing?

Brian26
07-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Classic salary dump by Beane. By the way, Kendall sucks.

Let me tell you how bad Jason Kendall is. He's so bad that I dumped him off my fantasy team for Mike Napoli, who I subsequently dropped for Doumit from Pittsburgh, who I waived for Ramon Hernandez, who I dumped for Miguel Olivo. That's how bad Kendall is.

MUsoxfan
07-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Wow, I just looked up his numbers and his OBP is more than 100pts lower than his career average this year. I had no idea he's played this bad. Now I'm surprised about this move.

Brian26
07-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Did Henry steal Chavez, Dan Johnson and Haren in the trade too? Maybe it's only Pittsburgh he can rip off.

JorgeFabregas
07-16-2007, 08:09 PM
Bowen has better numbers this year. :o:

santo=dorf
07-16-2007, 08:09 PM
Maybe it's only Pittsburgh he can rip off.
Although the A's don't have to send the money, Kendall is actually the highest paid player on Pittsburgh's roster this year. :o:

The Immigrant
07-16-2007, 08:13 PM
How is Hendry able to take on this kind of payroll but supposedly is unable to extend Zambrano's contract? :?:

russ99
07-16-2007, 08:14 PM

And Kendall's not the greatest handler of pitchers. if the Cubs give him substantial playing time, this could be the start of the long-awaited swoon. We can only hope.

I don't know what makes me more ill, the Sox bad performance (except for tonight! :bandance:) or the press treating the Cubs lately like the reincarnation of the '27 Yankees.

pearso66
07-16-2007, 08:15 PM
How is Hendry able to take on that kind of salary but can't trade Jones and give up some money?

getonbckthr
07-16-2007, 08:20 PM
How is Hendry able to take on this kind of payroll but supposedly is unable to extend Zambrano's contract? :?:

How is Hendry able to take on that kind of salary but can't trade Jones and give up some money?
Kendall is a free agent at the end of the season. His contract will expire before the sale of the team. As far as selling off Jacque. Ownership didn't like the idea of paying for a player on another team.

ZombieRob
07-16-2007, 08:45 PM
And Kendall's not the greatest handler of pitchers. if the Cubs give him substantial playing time, this could be the start of the long-awaited swoon. We can only hope.

I don't know what makes me more ill, the Sox bad performance (except for tonight! :bandance:) or the press treating the Cubs lately like the reincarnation of the '27 Yankees.
As bad as the National league is the Cubs are the '27 Yankees.

oeo
07-16-2007, 08:49 PM
As bad as the National league is the Cubs are the '27 Yankees.

Glad to see the media has gotten into your head. The Cubs are playing well right now. In the last month and a half, they've played very well...that doesn't mean they're the best team in the NL.

ZombieRob
07-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Glad to see the media has gotten into your head.
Whos hotter then the Cubs now? And there is not 1 team in the National league that much better then them.

russ99
07-16-2007, 08:58 PM
Glad to see the media has gotten into your head. The Cubs are playing well right now. In the last month and a half, they've played very well...that doesn't mean they're the best team in the NL.

Honestly, other than the 2 of 3 vs. Milwaukee and beating Oswalt, they really haven't played any good teams during their run. Then they make a huge deal coming back vs. Wandy Rodriguez?!? I think the Kennedy Park Little League All-Stars could beat Wandy Rodriguez.

I'm hoping that trip to St. Louis (quietly sneaking up on the division) brings the Cubs back down to earth. Also that ticking time bomb of Zambrano's contract weighing down on him could make things quite interesting too. :tongue:

Brian26
07-16-2007, 09:02 PM
And there is not 1 team in the National league that much better then them.

The Dodgers.

oeo
07-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Whos hotter then the Cubs now? And there is not 1 team in the National league that much better then them.

Your key word there is 'hotter.' Exactly...they're hot. We could get hot too, that doesn't mean we're going anywhere quickly.

And there are two teams in the West that are better than them, the Brewers, and the Mets if they can add another starter.

Bulls_Fan
07-16-2007, 09:03 PM
I have to assume the A's are taking on a good portion of Kendell's contract. If Cubs are serious about making a playoff push they need to add another bad.

IMO, Kendell is all about adding experience behind the dish.

ZombieRob
07-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Your key word there is 'hotter.' Exactly...they're hot. We could get hot too, that doesn't mean we're going anywhere quickly.
Yea ,but the diffrence is ,they are in 2nd in a weak division ,while we are 4th in a tough one.

Sargeant79
07-16-2007, 09:08 PM
I have to assume the A's are taking on a good portion of Kendell's contract.

Knowing how the A's operate, not likely.

ZombieRob
07-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Knowing how the A's operate, not likely.
"A's" recieved Sean Marshal and Bowen?

Tragg
07-16-2007, 09:26 PM
As a point of reference, does anyone know what sort of prospect Rob Bowen and Jerry Blevins are? I know Bowen was on the ml roster, but he's a rookie.

MUsoxfan
07-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Apparently the Cubs are taking on $3.5m of it. He's still the highest paid Pirate at $5m

Brian26
07-16-2007, 09:51 PM
Although the A's don't have to send the money, Kendall is actually the highest paid player on Pittsburgh's roster this year. :o:

Apparently the Cubs are taking on $3.5m of it. He's still the highest paid Pirate at $5m

Where are you guys finding this list? The only list I came up with shows Jack Wilson making $5.4 million this year.

MUsoxfan
07-16-2007, 09:56 PM
Where are you guys finding this list? The only list I came up with shows Jack Wilson making $5.4 million this year.

I'm admittingly getting it from a Cub fan friend who I'm sure has been working every newswire out there.

santo=dorf
07-16-2007, 09:58 PM
I was quoting a Pittsburgh paper from earlier in the year, but this A's article (http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070102&content_id=1771756&vkey=news_oak&fext=.jsp&c_id=oak) says the Pirates are paying $5 million.
MLB4u (http://www.mlb4u.com/profile.php?id=742) says Wilson is making $5.25 million for this season.

thomas35forever
07-16-2007, 10:23 PM
IMO, the Cubs have not had a decent catcher since they traded Barrett. Kendall may or may not be an upgrade over Bowen, but he brings back at least some respectability to the Cubs' catching position.

mark2olson
07-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Let me tell you how bad Jason Kendall is. He's so bad that I dumped him off my fantasy team for Mike Napoli, who I subsequently dropped for Doumit from Pittsburgh, who I waived for Ramon Hernandez, who I dumped for Miguel Olivo. That's how bad Kendall is.

ROFLMAO

FedEx227
07-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Time will tell but it appears he's had some trouble this season

Career 162-game Averages
AVG: .298
OBP: .375
SLG: .395
.91 K/BB Ratio

2007 Averages
AVG: .226 (-.072)
OBP: .261 (-.114)
SLG: .281 (-.114)
2.25 K/BB Ratio

Could be a byproduct of playing in the AL, but we'll see. But those numbers are NOT looking good.

The Immigrant
07-16-2007, 11:09 PM
But those numbers are NOT looking good.

That didn't stop the idiot on NBC's 10 p.m. newscast from gushing about the career .300 hitter the Cubs just acquired. :rolleyes:

DSpivack
07-16-2007, 11:29 PM

I'd say the Mets, Braves, Brewers, Dodgers, Padres, and Diamondbacks are all better than the Chicago Cubs.

It's Time
07-16-2007, 11:43 PM
I'd say the Mets, Braves, Brewers, Dodgers, Padres, and Diamondbacks are all better than the Chicago Cubs.

I would say the Dodgers and maybe the Mets, but that is it. Cubs hating aside, they are better then the D-Dacks and the Braves. The Padres can't hit a lick and the Brewers are an atrocious road team, which will be the reason the Cubs win that division.

MUsoxfan
07-16-2007, 11:58 PM
I would say the Dodgers and maybe the Mets, but that is it. Cubs hating aside, they are better then the D-Dacks and the Braves. The Padres can't hit a lick and the Brewers are an atrocious road team, which will be the reason the Cubs win that division.

I'm not so sure. It can get a little chilly in September and Piniella has already said the Cubs can't hit in the cold.:thumbsup:

TDog
07-17-2007, 03:16 AM
As a point of reference, does anyone know what sort of prospect Rob Bowen and Jerry Blevins are? I know Bowen was on the ml roster, but he's a rookie.

I don't know about Blevins, but Bowen isn't a rookie. He's in his fourth major league season and has played in more than 150 games. In San Diego last year, he ended a game against the Cubs with an extra-inning home run (not that I saw the game). I thought that was part of the reason the Cubs traded for him.

The odd thing about the Cubs getting Kendall is that Ron Santo used to describe him as totally worthless when he was back in the National League (and I sometimes heard Cubs games on my car radio). A's fans I hear on the radio have been talking about the need to dump Kendall, not because of his salary, but because he has been such a lousy player drawing such a big salary. I don't watch A's games. I just hear the venom in the voices of the A's fans when they talk about Kendall.

A's fans aren't as bad as Giants fans, though. What people say about the Giants sound like the worst things people post about the White Sox on WSI.

ComiskeyBrewer
07-17-2007, 03:41 AM

Cubs have been really hot lately, however they still only made up 4 games on the Brewers in the last 3 or so weeks. The Cubs are playing way above thier heads, and when they come back down to earth(i believe will happen once Lee FINALLY pays his suspenion), they will go back to being 7 games back and falling fast.

Soxfanspcu11
07-17-2007, 05:01 AM

Obviously I don't need to beat a dead horse here. Most of us on WSI live in the Chicago area and thus, we know how disgusting it has been to have to live through this current scrub "run". For those of you outside the Chicago area, it is really very bad. You would think that the scrubs had just won the NL Pennant. Unfortunately, I'm serious.:?:

I could not disagree more. I will give you that no one is hotter than the scrubs right now. But as OEO said, that is RIGHT NOW. The season is 162 games. Unfortunately for the scrubs and their fans, these games that they are winning now don't count as double or anything. There is AT LEAST a half dozen NL teams better than the scrubs. AT LEAST.

Honestly, other than the 2 of 3 vs. Milwaukee and beating Oswalt, they really haven't played any good teams during their run. Then they make a huge deal coming back vs. Wandy Rodriguez?!? I think the Kennedy Park Little League All-Stars could beat Wandy Rodriguez.

I'm hoping that trip to St. Louis (quietly sneaking up on the division) brings the Cubs back down to earth. Also that ticking time bomb of Zambrano's contract weighing down on him could make things quite interesting too. :tongue:

You make a bunch of very good points here in a very short post! You just went right for it didn't you! Cut out the fat, no fillers, just facts! I like it!

I agree with EVERYTHING that you have said here. And your post is a great example of why White Sox fans are the best and most educated baseball fans in the game.

I especially like the part where you talk about STL quietly sneaking back in. You got that correct 110%!!!

A lot of people seem to forget that they are the Defending World Series Champions. And yes, I am well aware that they only won 83 regular season games, but I do not believe that that fact is engraved on their rings.:D:

I would not be surprised to see STL come back and win that division. IMHO, it will come down to a race between STL and Milwaukee for the division.

The scrubs will never be in first place. They will be looking up at either 1 or 2 teams the rest of the way and finish in 2nd or 3rd. Maybe even worse.

Also, one more thing, lest we forget that they play in the WORST DIVISION IN MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL. If this were the Sox in the same position, NOBODY would be making a big deal about it, because it isin't.

Yea ,but the diffrence is ,they are in 2nd in a weak division ,while we are 4th in a tough one.

PatK
07-17-2007, 08:29 AM
You can't give too much credence to Kendall's number slipping this year because he's in the AL- he spent '05 and '06 there.

harwar
07-17-2007, 08:36 AM
This trade has me worried as my second favorite team (Brewers) are starting to have some key injuries.
I've been watching the cubs a lot lately and they look pretty darn good.

FedEx227
07-17-2007, 08:43 AM
You can't give too much credence to Kendall's number slipping this year because he's in the AL- he spent '05 and '06 there.

Exactly. And he was pretty successful (in the Jason Kendall-sorta way) during those years.

I'm sort of wondering why the Cubs traded Barrett to end up getting a worse-hitting, worse-handler, worse-armed catcher.

WizardsofOzzie
07-17-2007, 08:47 AM
Saw this on Rotoworld just now

Manager Lou Piniella says he plans on batting Jason Kendall seventh in the lineup.
"He gives you a good, professional at-bat, and he'll take a walk," Piniella said. "Basically, he's been a .300 hitter his whole career." Geovany Soto is expected to be returned to Triple-A Iowa on Tuesday.

Well yeah, except for 2001, 2002, 2005, and 2007. But those years don't really count or anything :rolleyes:

soxfan13
07-17-2007, 08:51 AM

Manager Lou Piniella says he plans on batting Jason Kendall seventh in the lineup.
"He gives you a good, professional at-bat, and he'll take a walk," Piniella said. "Basically, he's been a .300 hitter his whole career." Geovany Soto is expected to be returned to Triple-A Iowa on Tuesday.

Well yeah, except for 2001, 2002, 2005, and 2007. But those years don't really count or anything :rolleyes:

You forgot 2006 he only batted .295. :rolleyes: like they say in golf they dont ask you how you scored they asked you what you scored.

FJA
07-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Cubs have been really hot lately, however they still only made up 4 games on the Brewers in the last 3 or so weeks. The Cubs are playing way above thier heads, and when they come back down to earth(i believe will happen once Lee FINALLY pays his suspenion), they will go back to being 7 games back and falling fast.

Does everyone remember the things people were saying about the Cubs right before the series at the Cell, not even a month ago? About the current pathetic state of Chicago baseball? Let's see what has happened since then:

Cubs -
--Swept the Sox - We all know that, even if we are not the worst team in baseball right now, we were almost certainly were playing like it then.
--Swept Colorado at Wrigley - A Colorado team that is seven games under .500 on the road and generally not nearly as good as their .500 overall record indicates
--2/3 from Milwaukee at Wrigley - A Milwaukee team that is seven games under .500 on the road
--3/4 at the Nats - For your reference, that's the 38-54 Nats
--1/3 at the Pirates - Hmm ... not much better than some other team I know
--Swept the Astros - For your reference, that's the 39-54 Astros
--Won Game 1 against the Giants - For your reference, that's the 38-52 Giants.

So to recap, since the collective indifference about the Cubs that preceded the Sox/Cubs series in June, they've swept the worst team in baseball (Sox) and a not-very-good team (Rockies), won two of three from a terrible road team in the Brewers, won three of four from the ****ing NATIONALS, played poorly on the road against a pesky Pirates team, and swept the awful Astros (Oswalt notwithstanding). I will be surprised if they don't also sweep the even-worse Giants.

That's called doing your job, and it's no different from the Sox winning 6 of 7 against the D-Rays and Royals, but that the Cubs kept it up. With that payroll, they sure as hell better be beating the likes of the Nationals and Astros. Once the Cubs start playing real competition, you can count on them falling back to earth. Get back to me when wins start coming against anyone not named the Nationals in the NL East or anyone not named Rockies or Giants in the NL West. Nothing to see here, folks.

Normally I'm not one of the flubsessed, but this sudden sense that the very mediocre Cubs are one of the best teams in baseball (not merely a local phenomenon, believe it or not) is beyond irritating.

Of course, the entire NL is pretty bad and the Cubs will probably never have to go through a stretch of serious baseball teams. They could sneak into the playoffs. God help us all if they do.

[/end rant]

FedEx227
07-17-2007, 09:00 AM

I thought Soto looked great he had an absolute cannon from behind the plate. But the Cubs want some extra bats in that lineup, still I think down the stretch it will be valuable to hold runners on base especially against teams like LA and Milwaukee.

Cellview22
07-17-2007, 09:05 AM
Last night I switched over to the Cubs game in hopes they were about to lose, and just as I turned it, Ramirez hits the go-ahead double, and the crowd erupted once again as if they had won the World Series. The one difference I noticed about the camera work for Cubs games and Sox games is they show the whole crowd going wild at Wrigley, and rarely do this at US Cellular. They replay the crowd jumping up and down over and over. I've never seen camera work like this at the Cell... even during the playoffs. It's cool to see how crazy the home crowd reacts during a huge play; just wish I could see more of this at the Cell. But I could only shake my head in disbelief at how electric the Wrigley crowd was. They showed a bunch of frat boys wearing brand new shirts that said "IT'S GONNA HAPPEN". All I could think of is, if it does, God help us all.. I'd rather be in a coma than have to witness the Cubs clinch a playoff berth. :(:

PatK
07-17-2007, 09:08 AM
There's lots of baseball to be played.

We learned that in 2005 and last year.

Johnnydogs
07-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Does everyone remember the things people were saying about the Cubs right before the series at the Cell, not even a month ago? About the current pathetic state of Chicago baseball? Let's see what has happened since then:

Cubs -
--Swept the Sox - We all know that, even if we are not the worst team in baseball right now, we were almost certainly were playing like it then.
--Swept Colorado at Wrigley - A Colorado team that is seven games under .500 on the road and generally not nearly as good as their .500 overall record indicates
--2/3 from Milwaukee at Wrigley - A Milwaukee team that is seven games under .500 on the road

So to recap, since the collective indifference about the Cubs that preceded the Sox/Cubs series in June, they've swept the worst team in baseball (Sox) and a not-very-good team (Rockies), won two of three from a terrible road team in the Brewers, won three of four from the ****ing NATIONALS, played poorly on the road against a pesky Pirates team, and swept the awful Astros (Oswalt notwithstanding). I will be surprised if they don't also sweep the even-worse Giants.

That's called doing your job, and it's no different from the Sox winning 6 of 7 against the D-Rays and Royals, but that the Cubs kept it up. With that payroll, they sure as hell better be beating the likes of the Nationals and Astros. Once the Cubs start playing real competition, you can count on them falling back to earth. Get back to me when wins start coming against anyone not named the Nationals in the NL East or anyone not named Rockies or Giants in the NL West. Nothing to see here, folks.

Normally I'm not one of the flubsessed, but this sudden sense that the very mediocre Cubs are one of the best teams in baseball (not merely a local phenomenon, believe it or not) is beyond irritating.

Of course, the entire NL is pretty bad and the Cubs will probably never have to go through a stretch of serious baseball teams. They could sneak into the playoffs. God help us all if they do.

[/end rant]

The Brewers brought this on themselves. They went 3-7 on that road trip before the All Star Break while the Cubs went 6-4 during the same period. After losing 2 of 3 to the Cubs, the Brewers lost 3 out of 4 to the Pirates and 2 of 3 to the Nationals (so even though the Cubs lost 2 of three to the Pirates it didn't hurt them). It's crazy!

The Brewers are totally choking. We can complain about the Cubs sweeping the woeful Rockies but the Brewers couldn't do it--they only won 2 of 3 against the Rockies while the Cubs were sweeping the Astros so they gained a game this week. I think the Cubs were 8.5 games back before the Brewers came in town two weeks ago. That means they picked up 5 games in the standings in 2 weeks. The Padres and Dodgers also went through losing streaks which is how they picked up so many games in the Wild Card standings.

The Cubs are 26-12 since June 3. Yes, they have been the hottest team in baseball but if the Brewers had just played .500 ball, instead of going through a 10 game road trip where they were 4 under .500, the Cubs would have been frustrated by not gaining all those games. :o:

I don't know but I think the Brewers are just too young. Ultimately the Cubs are going to run them down because the Brewers can't play on the road.

WizardsofOzzie
07-17-2007, 09:31 AM
Last night I switched over to the Cubs game in hopes they were about to lose, and just as I turned it, Ramirez hits the go-ahead double, and the crowd erupted once again as if they had won the World Series. The one difference I noticed about the camera work for Cubs games and Sox games is they show the whole crowd going wild at Wrigley, and rarely do this at US Cellular. They replay the crowd jumping up and down over and over. I've never seen camera work like this at the Cell... even during the playoffs. It's cool to see how crazy the home crowd reacts during a huge play; just wish I could see more of this at the Cell. But I could only shake my head in disbelief at how electric the Wrigley crowd was. They showed a bunch of frat boys wearing brand new shirts that said "IT'S GONNA HAPPEN". All I could think of is, if it does, God help us all.. I'd rather be in a coma than have to witness the Cubs clinch a playoff berth. :(:

Like they'd even make it out of the NLDS if they did?

getonbckthr
07-17-2007, 01:28 PM
IMO, the Cubs have not had a decent catcher since they traded Barrett. Kendall may or may not be an upgrade over Bowen, but he brings back at least some respectability to the Cubs' catching position.
Go to the scores website and listen to the Mike Murphy interview with Jon Duwanda (sp) in the first half hour. It will completely destroy your theory and show how bad Barrett really is.

Cubs -

[/end rant]
Are they winning games? Yes. Thats all that matters. Good teams are supposed to win those games and they are. That series against the Pirates just the series before they took 3 of 4 from the Brewers.

DSpivack
07-17-2007, 02:03 PM
I don't see how this is really a bad deal. He's only signed through the rest of the season, they didn't give up much, and even at his current production (way below his career numbers) isn't that much worse than whatever Rob Bowen & Koyie Hill would give them.

soxinem1
07-17-2007, 02:05 PM

I think he went 1 for 30-something with the cubs.

I think Koyie Hill is their best catcher, and Blanco, if he comes back, is a great backup.

This looks like a trade to make a trade, but since OAK picked up some or all of his salary, it is not that big of a gamble, especially since they DFA'd Bowen anyway.

CubKilla
07-17-2007, 02:09 PM

Did they show the "crowd going wild" throwing garbage all over the OF again?

Seriously, I thought trashing beautiful Wrigley Field was reserved for voicing your displeasure over a bad play or ump's call????? Now they're trashing it when they're happy!

Worst fanbase in professional sports..... bar none.

southside rocks
07-17-2007, 04:38 PM
On the Kendall acquisition, UmpBump had a very good piece, I thought. Read it here: http://umpbump.com/press/index.php?tag=jason-kendall

WizardsofOzzie
07-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Are they winning games? Yes. Thats all that matters. Good teams are supposed to win those games and they are. That series against the Pirates just the series before they took 3 of 4 from the Brewers.
The Sox were in the same position in 2005. Nobody would take them seriously until they beat the "tough" teams when we played the Yankees and Red Sox on their field after the break IIRC. The Sox did well and started getting a little more respect. If the Cubs beat some worthy opponents (Mets, Dodgers) they might get a little more respect too

DSpivack
07-17-2007, 07:52 PM
The Sox were in the same position in 2005. Nobody would take them seriously until they beat the "tough" teams when we played the Yankees and Red Sox on their field after the break IIRC. The Sox did well and started getting a little more respect. If the Cubs beat some worthy opponents (Mets, Dodgers) they might get a little more respect too

I'd hardly say they were in the same position. There's a big difference between a team a few games over .500 not beating that many good teams "not getting respect" (they've been talked about plenty enough in the media, and I live in Atlanta) and a team that is 61-29 (as the Sox were 17 July 2005) being dismissed because they "play in a weak division" or some similar excuse.

Bill Naharodny
07-18-2007, 03:41 PM
Go to the scores website and listen to the Mike Murphy interview with Jon Duwanda (sp) in the first half hour. It will completely destroy your theory and show how bad Barrett really is.

Murphy's quite a piece of work. I wonder how he liked Barrett in 2004. He loved him, of course. Why, Barrett was a great, feisty guy to have around, and so much better than Damian Miller. Basic North Side revisionism -- just like with Sosa. Barrett's been bad for a long time -- and a jerk -- and now that he's gone, everyone up there finally gets it.

getonbckthr
07-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Murphy's quite a piece of work. I wonder how he liked Barrett in 2004. He loved him, of course. Why, Barrett was a great, feisty guy to have around, and so much better than Damian Miller. Basic North Side revisionism -- just like with Sosa. Barrett's been bad for a long time -- and a jerk -- and now that he's gone, everyone up there finally gets it.
Murph has wanted Barrett gone since before the AJ altercation last year as had Silvermann on ESPN radio.
Initially the deal Miller for Barrett looked great for the Cubs until everyone realized how bad Barrett was behind plate both defensively and calling games.

soxfanreggie
07-22-2007, 11:36 AM
I was surprised to see that the Cubs are on the hook for $5,398,907 for the rest of the season.

StillMissOzzie
07-22-2007, 11:50 PM
I was surprised to see that the Cubs are on the hook for $5,398,907 for the rest of the season.

They are not, according to what I heard. Between what Pittsburgh has been paying since they dumped him and Oakland's ponying up some cash too, my understanding is that the Cubs are only on the hook for about $800K

SMO
:gulp:

TDog
07-23-2007, 12:41 PM
They are not, according to what I heard. Between what Pittsburgh has been paying since they dumped him and Oakland's ponying up some cash too, my understanding is that the Cubs are only on the hook for about $800K

SMO
:gulp:

If find it hard to believe Oakland is paying any of Kendall's salary. The reason they were trying to get rid of him was to dump his salary. Of course, I won't argue a fact I don't know to exist, and certainly won't argue that the A's general manager never does anything stupid.