PDA

View Full Version : Steve Phillips=****ing Idiot

getonbckthr
07-16-2007, 05:56 PM
On sportscenter he just said Bonds shouldn't play in another road game until he breaks the record. Kruk went after him pretty good.

UserNameBlank
07-16-2007, 05:59 PM
He shouldn't play again anywhere. I hope he gets the record on the road and gets booed out of the building.

I NEVER condone throwing balls back onto the field, but this would be one circumstance I'd love to see it. Unfortunately that will never happen because the ball will be worth too much money. Hopefully whoever gets it decides to keep it for himself and auction it off to the highest bidder on Ebay.

HotelWhiteSox
07-16-2007, 06:21 PM
I just figured when he got close he'd purposely dog it on every road game

Rockin Robin
07-16-2007, 08:19 PM
The more I hear him talk, the more incredible it is to think about...This man used to RUN THE METS!

comerica
07-16-2007, 08:44 PM
I NEVER condone throwing balls back onto the field, but this would be one circumstance I'd love to see it. Unfortunately that will never happen because the ball will be worth too much money. Hopefully whoever gets it decides to keep it for himself and auction it off to the highest bidder on Ebay.

why on earth would you not condone throwing balls back, that's a tradition as old as baseball itself.

CHISOXFAN13
07-16-2007, 08:52 PM
why on earth would you not condone throwing balls back, that's a tradition as old as baseball itself.

Oh, I don't know...because it's ****ing stupid!

Rockin Robin
07-16-2007, 08:57 PM

I hope that's supposed to be teal.

comerica
07-16-2007, 08:58 PM
Oh, I don't know...because it's ****ing stupid!

considering that the alternative is a bunch of adults scrambling around like idiots to retrieve a worthless used baseball(speaking generally, not about the bonds ball) it would seem that something stupid is going to happen regardless.

edit: just to be clear, I'm talking about balls hit by the visiting team only, of course it would be stupid to throw back a ball hit by your own team.

HotelWhiteSox
07-16-2007, 09:21 PM
considering that the alternative is a bunch of adults scrambling around like idiots to retrieve a worthless used baseball(speaking generally, not about the bonds ball) it would seem that something stupid is going to happen regardless.

edit: just to be clear, I'm talking about balls hit by the visiting team only, of course it would be stupid to throw back a ball hit by your own team.

Still stupid, why throw something onto the field of play? Just give it to the kid. The scramble is going to happen anyway your way (someone has to get to the ball to throw it away). I think it looks so lame when the fans cheer for the ball getting thrown back, even if the game just got tied or you're now losing, which happens regularly on side of this town

Lip Man 1
07-16-2007, 09:29 PM
I've seen other media / baseball people say the same thing.

The thinking is that if Bonds breaks the record on the road the cascade of booing (not Boo-urns! LOL) will be impossible for TV and radio to miss or cover up, it will be a real embarrassment to baseball.

The thinking is that by doing it in San Francisco at least the fans will cheer and tone down the controversy some what.

Lip

Tragg
07-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Some of what Phillips says is silly.
But he seems to like people and he isn't mean-spirited. He's okay in my book.

StillMissOzzie
07-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Still stupid, why throw something onto the field of play? Just give it to the kid. The scramble is going to happen anyway your way (someone has to get to the ball to throw it away). I think it looks so lame when the fans cheer for the ball getting thrown back, even if the game just got tied or you're now losing, which happens regularly on side of this town
Not to mention the ultimate fraud...when the ball that gets thrown back onto the field is NOT the game ball, but a decoy ball the dolt smuggles into the ballpark on the off chance that they catch a real one. That way they get to soak up the sheep's adulation AND keep a MLB game-used ball.

SMO
:mad:

FedEx227
07-16-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm still banking on some government agents stopping him as he rounds third base for 756 to let him know he's being indited and that he must come with them now.

I can hope, can't I?

DSpivack
07-16-2007, 11:23 PM
Some of what Phillips says is silly.
But he seems to like people and he isn't mean-spirited. He's okay in my book.

I'd rather have an ******* who knows who his stuff as an "analyst" than a nice idiot.

getonbckthr
07-17-2007, 01:17 PM
I've seen other media / baseball people say the same thing.

The thinking is that if Bonds breaks the record on the road the cascade of booing (not Boo-urns! LOL) will be impossible for TV and radio to miss or cover up, it will be a real embarrassment to baseball.

The thinking is that by doing it in San Francisco at least the fans will cheer and tone down the controversy some what.

Lip
Tell that to the teams in WC race who are watching the Cubs get 4 games handed to them and the Brewers getting 3.

PatK
07-17-2007, 01:26 PM

Baseball started in the 1980's?

TDog
07-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Bonds was in the lineup Monday night, but told his manager he couldn't play.

A few years ago, Bonds said he would probably retire if he passed Babe Ruth, not caring if he passed Henry Aaron. People criticized the comment then. Now it seems they would like to hold him to his word.

mjmcend
07-17-2007, 05:23 PM
It seems like the Giants are taking cues from the Black Sox. Keeping Bonds out of games in order to have him hit the record breaker at home smacks of throwing games. And considering the value of the ball and media coverage, its just like throwing games for money.

areilly
07-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Should Bonds play a road game?

Should he play anywhere for that matter?

The only way Bonds' passing of Hank Aaron isn't even more of a total international embarrassment to MLB is if the fans who see it are cheering, not booing and throwing syringes on the field. There's only place that's going to look good on the videos, and that's San Fran. His entire stint in SF has been a sham, no reason to stop that now.

areilly
07-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Tell that to the teams in WC race who are watching the Cubs get 4 games handed to them and the Brewers getting 3.

In case you haven't noticed, Bonds isn't really that good this year (especially lately) and at best could elevate the Giants from a last-place pile of crap that gets mauled by the Cubs to a last-place pile of crap that puts up a fight against the Cubs before losing in less severe fashion.

mjmcend
07-17-2007, 06:50 PM
In case you haven't noticed, Bonds isn't really that good this year (especially lately) and at best could elevate the Giants from a last-place pile of crap that gets mauled by the Cubs to a last-place pile of crap that puts up a fight against the Cubs before losing in less severe fashion.

.279/.497/.557

Leading the NL in OPS in 219 ABs. I would say he is still doing quite well when he gets his old knees on the field. I would sell my right arm for that kind of production on the Sox.